206 W 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coppolas-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2128773840
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef Salvatore Coppola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For general and group reservations or for information regarding our banquet / private rooms, bar/lounge call Coppola"s East (212) 679-0070.
A word from Coppola's West
Owner-Chef Salvatore Coppola"s training began at an early age. As the son of the Naples born parents Salvatore spent many hours in the kitchen learning to cook and refining the same Northern Italian recipes in both of his restaurants. Before opening Coppola's on 79th Street, Salvatore trained in New York City Restaurants quickly becoming Executive Sous Chef. In 1986, using family recipes opened Trattoria Coppola, which soon after became a staple for dining on New York's Upper West Side and earned him a 5 Star Diamond Award in 1997. In 1998 Salvatore opened his doors of Coppola's East in the Gramercy Park area of Manhattan to provide a more elegant style of his Northern Italian 'Comfort Food'.On any given night you may run into a number of New York's Resident or visiting celebrities at both of Salvatore's locations. In addition to fantastic food and comfortable dining, Salvatore establishment offers professional and knowledgeable service, extensive wine list, private room and catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Coppola's West - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Coppola's West reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)good for groups (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Warm and invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Small, friendly, warm location just across from the Lucerne Hotel, great food, good variety, good wine list. We went our first night and returned the next night! Will plan to go back on our next trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurantCarol1012Dined on 10/15/2014I initially started going to this restaurant because of its convenience to the West Side Highway (I live in southern Westchester). It is a cozy, neighborhood kind of place with the best food. It is very un-Manhattan and I love it.Special Features:
- Good Italian but be carefulTobyMcCannDined on 9/30/2014Nice ambiance & very good, but not great, Italian. I liked the risotto and the scallops were perfectly cooked. The wine list, although relatively inexpensive, was an issue. I ordered a 2008 Chianti, and the waiter brought a 2010. When I called him on it, he brought back two totally different wines. I asked for three other wines on the list and they were either not available, or the vintage was not the same as the menu. His excuse, on a Tuesday evening, was they had a busy weekend. Yeah right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Not what it looked like online at all. Food was just fair. On top of that, they didn't have my confirmed reservation from Open Table. Had to sit at the bar, but at least we ate.
- EstherVIPDined on 9/18/2014I would have enjoyed the food presentation much more if the lighting in your restaurant enabled me to see what I was actually eating.Special Features:
- good neighborhood italiannew2nycVIPDined on 9/18/2014Very nice dinner -i would say between good and very good! the food has improved since I was here last, and the experience was very pleasant..We had two large salads with many delicious ingrediants and a very nice ravioli dish.Special Features:
- Great ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014I've wanted to try this place for years. Based on the name, I expected it to be a great meal. But the food was just mediocre. The wine was just ok, a little to citrusy for my taste. I had the sea bass which would have been excellent if it weren't drenched in oil. The bread was cut up pizza dough with too much salt. The service was attentive and fast; too bad the food didn't match up.
- Nice experiencerlb551Dined on 9/7/2014Service was excellent ! Food was good but needed sauce and dressing on salad. Very nice place to enjoy a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coppola-la-laWest79Dined on 8/19/2014Coppola's never disappoints. Great food, good service, nice wine list, fast in and out. Great meal w/o ridiculous Manhattan prices. Great pit stop enroute to Broadway or Lincoln Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Used Coppola's as our go to delivery for years. First time eating inside restaurant. Food was great servers were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian foodIronmike399VIPDined on 8/8/2014Exceptional ravioli. Service was ok but could have been more engaging and friendly.Special Features:
- wonderful food at affordable pricesmbbellDined on 8/4/2014The specials were interesting but not outrageous. All of the food was reasonably priced and wonderful. The service was friendly and attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!FrocoVIPDined on 7/31/2014What a great neighborhood find! The food was excellent - had the house special split pea soup which was chunky mad delicious and tasted homemade! Had the veal parmigiana for the main course. Veal was tender and crispy and covered with delicious cheese. Can't wait to order it again although there were so many other great items on the menu to choose from!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014The food was outstanding and the service was top notch. From the time we sat down until we finished the staff took care of all our needs without once having to call them over. All of the food was delicious and would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Nice dinner, great foodMrsCDined on 7/26/2014I had not been to this restaurant for about 19 years and remembered it being fantastic and it was! There were four of us in our party and everything was delicious. Food is prepared well, great flavor and good ingredients. Their deserts are great including the chocolate soufflé which isn't ordered upon arrival so I had my doubts how good it would be - but it was great. The chicken and veal Milanese were excellent, very light, no grease, good flavor. The Eggplant Parmigiana was also equally good and their bread is fantastic! The restaurant is small so if you can get booth seating it's more comfortable as tables run down the length of the restaurant with people coming and going and getting up for the restroom.Special Features:
- great foodearringDined on 7/19/2014has by far the best baked clams I've ever had--terrific food-good serviceSpecial Features:
- yummy - but ...amymVIPDined on 7/16/2014Our salads and pasta were delicious at this neighborhood Italian - but the atmosphere was marred by the constant parade of delivery people and packages going through the middle of this little restaurant. If I had a nearby apartment I think I'd have preferred to eat there...Special Features:
- The following 253 reviews are from the Coppola's West reviews archive.
- Consistently deliciousSealBeachFoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Somewhere between Southern California and Upper West Side New York City there must be an Italian restaurant as good as Coppola's West, but we have yet to find another Italian restaurant that comes close to this very special restaurant. This is our "go to" restaurant on every one of our numerous NYC visits. Sometimes we will even eat here twice within the same week. Yes, it is that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word: authentic.BorninDCDined on 5/31/2014I want to expressly commend the restaurant for a great dining experience! The food was exceptional and authentic. I had friends visiting from out of town and they are continuing to rave about the food, two days later! The place has a romantic ambience, but still offered a perfect setting for three friends to reconnect over wine and good food. Kudos on great service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little FindDaleTyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great food. Small setting. Linguine Carbonara and Clams Fra Diablo were both excellent. Nice that they also had pizza so our picky son was happy. Only (slight) issue was the service was a bit unenthusiastic.Special Features:
- Coppola's West1libraryladyDined on 5/10/2014Great service by a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Appetizer of baked asparagus with crab meat was delicious! The Capellini Coppola, Veal Parmigian and the Sea Bass were enthusiastically devoured by everyone at our table. There were no leftovers to bring home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very goodELC123VIPDined on 5/2/2014The food was very good. The service was odd, in that they rushed us through our meal, taking plates away quickly, and yet were inattentive in important ways.Special Features:
- Yummy ItalianUpForGoodFoodDined on 4/25/2014This should become a neighborhood go-to for affordable italian. Its one long room with booths on both sides, not that big overall, and we were near the service area which was disruptive. Had grilled calamari, 3 stuffed mushrooms and mussels/clams-good, but small portions to share. I had a lovely bronzino, others had chicken marsala, various pastas much enjoyed. They ran out of several specials, the wine, etc, to the point that selection became a crap-shoot. Service was kind but undistinguished (poured second bottle tasting into the first wine). Despite the clunkiness, ambience was friendly and attentive, and the evening was enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Everything was greatNotfromNYCDined on 4/25/2014Great little Italian restaurant. The service was attentive and prompt. The price was excellent for good food and atmosphere. The chefs were able to accomodate requests for certain veggies not in a dish or to make a soup with veggie broth instead of chicken broth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeejkelVIPDined on 4/18/2014Small, comfortable and great food….brought the kids for dinner….everything was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Night OutfisheaterVIPDined on 4/3/2014This restaurant is very family friendly, particularly before 8 pm. Since we eat early I don't know what the later crowd is like. The food is good, not outstanding, and it's just a comfortable place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to what you knowlivinginnycDined on 3/31/2014Have been here numerous times and always order the same dish. Same for my husband. This time I tried the veal piccata in butter etc. I asked if it could be prepared with as little butter as possible. The waiter asked the kitchen and told me that was fine. The dish arrived, swimming in butter. The veal had a strange taste. Since my husband's dish was fine, I did not send mine back or I would be waiting for something else while he ate. This was a great disappointment to me as veal piccata is not that difficult of a dish to make. Be weary of the "special" wine offer. The wine was priced at $40 and the average price of the wine was $9.99. Most wine gets marked up anywhere from 2 or 2.5 - 3 times the cost in a wine store..
- Food misrepresented, disappointedItalophileDined on 2/26/2014Cioppino mentioned risotto in ingredients. A cioppino is a fish stew, not a risotto, so I asked. Was told it was a mistake. then told it used to be served on top linguine, now risotto. I asked if it were a risotto or a fish stew. definitely a stew was the reply. 70per cent fish. It was three pieces of fish filet on cooked rice (somewhat crispy from pan cooking) and two mussels, two shrimp, three clams. Sauce was equiv. to salad dressing, barely creating a film on bottom of dish. I asked for, received sauce/broth to add. Taste not bad, not cioppino however. Pasta carbonara tasted like no fresh ingredients were used, nor dairy. Pasta over cooked to mush dish overall. Olive oil was weakest I have ever tasted, possibly cut with vegetable oil.
- Favorite placeDKFLVIPDined on 2/22/2014Coppolas is one of my favorite places in NYC. Classic, warm atmosphere coupled with amazing food, Coppolas never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent all around!LDeweyDined on 2/22/2014This is a great Italian restaurant in NYC. Great food, service and a great atmosphere. Fun times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, Classic ItalianBartonKeyesVIPDined on 2/22/2014Very good food. We did think the service was a little unfriendly--maybe because we had our 11-year-old son with us and they didn't seem very family oriented (or just would have wished for more adults at the table and a bigger check)--but it was basically all right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We like so many items on theSquasherDined on 1/30/2014We like so many items on the menu that it's hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic brick-wall, red sauceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/4/2014Classic brick-wall, red sauce UWS Italian. It never disappoints -- especially on a chilly night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We went there for a late New Year's Eve dinner. They had a prix fixe menu for $49.95, which was reasonable for the options offered. The restaurant markup on the wines was pretty typical and not excessive. The food was standard fare; nothing to rave about and nothing to complain about. The restaurant is small and the table are packed in as close as they could be so the restaurant was quite noisy. We have always had good service at this restaurant. Our waitress was properly attentive and made helpful comments when we asked her about the difference between the two ripassos on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great carpaccio, good ambianceyumfoodDined on 12/27/2013The restaurant is very nice and cozy. We had a reservation for four people, and ended up bringing five and they still accommodated us. Excellent service. We had carpaccio and calamari as appetizers and we all loved the carpaccio, the arugula that came with it was very fresh. I had penne with vodka sauce, which tasted amazing with the right amount of tomato and cream. Someone else had the pork chop and they said it was the best they'd ever had before. The had quiet jazz music on, the atmosphere in general is very calm and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great authentic ItalianHappyDined on 12/21/2013We tried this restaurant for the first time on Saturday night. The food was very good and very authentic Italian (e.g., the red sauce tasted like it had been cooked forever with all the right ingredients). We were w our three kids who were welcomed and treated well ( they also behaved well which helps!). Everyone in my family would love to go back again some time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Coppola I used to knowFeingirlDined on 12/12/2013I had not been here for many years. It has changed to the point where it does not resemble the neighborhood gem, with classy food that I loved. Food is decent, red sauce Italian, good but not great. Service could use some work. Drink orders should be taken asap. Bread should be put on the table asap. It was about 20 minutes before we had either. Despite the fact that they were not yet crowded. When I am in the mood for a good Eggplant Parmasian I probably will go back. The Linguini in White Clam Sauce was also not bad. They got very busy. Apparently other people like it more than I did. Judge for yourself.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2013This was my second visit to Coppola's West. Made a point of returning this trip to once again enjoy the braised short ribs. Have recommended your restaurant to anyone I know who is going to NYC. Thanks again for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerplinkleDined on 12/2/2013My husband and I had a delicious, delightful dinner at Coppola's West. All food was perfectly prepared, the wait staff was nicely friendly, attentive but not overbearing. The restaurant felt comfortable enough to have a nice conversation without 'bothering' other diners. No one tried to hurry us. We left full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere!BeckyDined on 11/27/2013Food was excellent! Our group had everything from spaghetti to seafood and we all were very pleased! Great service and great appetizers. Little crowded, but that added to the experience.Special Features: