4021 Campbell Avenue
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.copperwoodtavern.com/
- Phone: 7035528010x
- Hours of Operation:
Sat-Sun 10am-1am, Brunch until 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allan Avery
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Copperwood Tavern
A cabin-style watering hole with amazing food and drink, Copperwood Tavern is your oasis from the hustle and bustle of the city. Specializing in seasonal American small plates, we feature prime cuts of local game, farm-raised poultry, beef and fresh fish accompanied with hearty, family-style sides.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Copperwood Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Copperwood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (138)fit for foodies (116)great for outdoor dining (110)great for brunch (98)good for groups (83)great for lunch (68)vibrant bar scene (48)special occasion (46)hot spot (39)kid-friendly (24)romantic (19)notable wine list (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (6)Show More
- dontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 9/20/2014My husband had the blueberry ricotta pancakes and enjoyed them. I was looking forward to my duck confit hash because at a restaurant in DelRay the dish was delicious. My expectations hit the floor, the meal was dry and tasteless and sadly wait staff linger so quickly she missed my saying it was so, so. I boxed it to go to feed to a tenant dog in our building.
- Great farm-to-table restaurantcameo70VIPDined on 9/14/2014Copperwood Tavern is a great farm-to-table addition to Shirlington. Everything at brunch from the fresh-squeezed orange juice to the French toast sticks to the duck hash was delicious. The service for our large table of 7 was superb as well. I highly recommend Copperwood Tavern!Special Features:
- Awesome experiencetj1708VIPDined on 9/13/2014First time and we will return. Their food was outstanding.You get three litte cornbred muffins with butter right up front and water. We had the Meatballs fo appetizer Duck and Venison as our Main course and shared the brussel sprouts! Best Sprouds ever. Our Server was friendly and on her game....think her name was Susan! Very happy with out dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent time as always.seemenowDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoy this restaurant. Food is wonderful and service is prompt and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CWT is a Shirlington gemQueentut8Dined on 9/12/2014When you walk into Copperwood, you are immediately greeted by the friendly hosts and warm, comfortable ambiance. The cocktails are delish, as are the local beers offered. But the main event is the food. You can order an entree, or simply make a meal from sides (my preference.) Simply put, best Brussels sprouts ever. Best fries in a 20 mi radius. Delicious baked beans and sinful Mac and cheese. It's culinary nirvana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quick pre-theatre mealDCCHughesVIPDined on 9/10/2014We arrived a little late and didn't have time to order a full meal and still make it to the theatre on time. Our server was great, very upfront with us about what the kitchen's ability was to serve us and he pointed us to what would be best to order. While I would have liked to have ordered a full entree from their wonderful-sounding selection, the frisee salad I had was great and very filling. My husband was able to get an entree and enjoyed it immensely, along with the sides. Our server was attentive and very helpful in getting us out on time to see our show.Special Features:
- Friendly and Fine FoodMarlowe17Dined on 9/6/2014Our group of six all liked the farm-to-table ethic of the restaurant, with each of us enjoying our entrees very much. The service was informal but professional and friendly. The atmosphere also was informal, and we were pleased that we did not have to shout the length of the table to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique but bad serviceAJ18Dined on 8/29/2014Our waitress was sloooowwwww. The food is good (get the bison meatballs and brussels sprouts!), but expect long waits at your table. Highly recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Copperwood a great additionSoupDined on 8/28/2014Copperwood is a terrific addition to the Shirlington neighborhood. Its lunch menu features some fabulous sandwiches -- very inventive twists on old favorites. The salads are fresh and delicious, fries are good and can be ordered "naked" for folks who do not want the various seasonings. The weak link continues to be the desserts. heavy, leaden, dry "shortcakes", and the rhubarb creme brulee had the rhubarb, but was watery. with such terrific bread for the sandwiches, I am puzzled as to why the desserts seem to confound them. Nevertheless, we will return! (but not for dessert)Special Features:
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014My first visit to Copperwood and would definitely go back again. However, the host insisted on seating us at a table for two when there were plenty of tables of four avaiable. I felt crammed in the entire time. The food was very good, especially the gouda mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Awesome brunch!ajmPRDined on 8/24/2014The food was great, especially duck hash! The staff is super nice and very acommodating!Special Features:
- good food, helpful serviceEllenPDined on 8/24/2014We went for brunch before a matinee at the Signature Theater. Server recommended the Farmers Salad, which was very good, especially with the grilled shrimp added. My companion had a very nice portobello sandwich. The creme brulee was okay, not great. Would definitely go back--looks like they have an extensive selection of draft beers and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; great serviceVocalOneVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was my second visit, after having had a mediocre brunch experience. My second visit was far better. Highly recommend Copperwood Tavern for dinner! Highlights include Colonist Collins (cocktail), the French onion soup, short ribs, and the fried Brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- Servers Need TrainingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Food was very good. Atmosphere is fine (casual, a bit loud, but par for the course for these types of restaurants). Service NOT good. Waiter hovered the entire evening. Hint: You only need to ask once if the food is OK. Went there to catch up with a friend, but the waiter kept interrrupting the conversation. I wanted to smack him. Jeez. Can I please finish a sentence? Stop interrupting!. If you (waiter) walk by table without interrupting or show your face in the vicinity every once in awhile (again, without interrupting), I can flag you down if I need something. Please don't roll up and start talking when you see someone is in the middle sentence. Management, please train/re-train your servers.Special Features:
- Great Local foodLindaDined on 8/21/2014The grilled Caesar is divine. Topped with grilled shrimp made for the perfect late lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected GemjtmgDined on 8/18/2014First time...no disappointment. Great waiter; very attentive and engaging, but not overly so. Filet mignon perfectly cooked. Side dishes large enough to share. Excellent drink menu. Would go again.Special Features:
- Wasn't wowed by brunchVocalOneVIPDined on 8/17/2014As a gluten-free diner, I wasn't expecting to have tons of options here; that said, generally brunch (vs. dinner) provides significantly more options than what was available on their brunch menu. Notably, the shrimp and grits contained gluten (these are almost always GF at other restaurants). I was with a party of four and only one was elated with her meal (she ordered the French toast). The bloody Mary's looked great, but were far too salty. The service and ambiance were good to very good. I really want to like this place, so I'm trying again. I have a reservation this Saturday night for dinner - steaks should be GF, right? :) Also excited to try some of the moonshine on the drink menu!
- Food was disappointing!Phaal21Dined on 8/15/2014We were very disappointed with the food at our visit. The short ribs appetizer we had was the only standout item. The swordfish was dry and lacking in flavor. Mixed Greens salad with vegetables had all of a slice or 2 of pepper and a couple radish slices and no dressing was on it. I had to ask for dressing. The brussel sprouts (which were touted as a menu favorite) seemed to be a bit charred. There are too many other great restaurants in Shirlington to bother giving this one a second visit.
- First VisitDECTRADined on 8/13/2014Open floor concept. Bar separated by glass framed windows, permitting one to see across the room. Menu is small to medium sized, good variety of items offered. Service good, waiter knowledgeable and friendly. Appetizers: Grilled Chincoteague Oysters (awesome). Also tried the Steak Tartare, it was a bit salty, but the quail egg on top muted some of the salt. Order either of the appetizers again? Yep. Main Courses: Bison Rib Eye and the Brown Ale Butter Chicken. Both were perfect. Sides are 'family style'. Mac n Cheese was well presented, but the hit of the party was the fried brussel sprouts, served with crispy shallots, bacon and maple-mustard vinaigrette, both the taste and the crispy texture were perfect.Special Features:
- Birthday Lunchmisswonderful531Dined on 8/12/2014Went there for my boyfriends lunch and had a pleasant time. It was for lunch on Tuesday so the place was quiet which is ok for us. The waitress for very nice and responsive. We ordered the grilled Chincoteague's and they were fresh and very flavorful. I had the Drunken Portobello and my boyfriend had the Lamb Burger. Both were very good and the food came quick. The fries were also very good, full of flavor and not too salty. My boyfriend event got a free birthday brownie with a candle!Special Features:
- Copperwood Tavern ReduxReneeDined on 8/10/2014This has become my go-to place. I love introducing new people to it, and did so again last weekend. Each person loved what she had for brunch. Service was excellent. We are already making plans to meet there again.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!!EyeluvfoodDined on 8/9/2014I went with 3 friends and a baby. We made our reservation for 545pm to avoid the dinner rush. At that time there were many open tables and we could talk without shouting. Everyone loved their meals. My boyfriend and I got the bison and venison chop. Well worth the money. And the server was not only knowledgeable but extremely friendly and attentive. I am a huge coffee drinker and I usually have to flag someone down for refills but she was asking if I wanted more before I was even done with my cup! Everyone that worked there was very friendly, the food was awesome and the atmosphere at that time was great having a baby. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014The pork chop entree was exceptional. We've never had such tender and flavorful pork. The grilled oysters with which we started were cooked to perfection and deliciously seasoned.Special Features:
- Great for lunch - super service!PutzeeDined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed a nice, leisurely lunch with a friend, shared fried green tomatoes, grilled Caesar salad and shrimp/lobster roll - each of which were very good choices - fresh, flavorful and yummy. Our waitress was very attentive, kind and patient as we spent a couple of hours there catching up during our lunch outing. Even at lunch, the acoustics make if slightly noisy, but I would definitely go back and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Copperwood!LindyDined on 8/6/2014I have visited Copperwood Tavern three times. It never disappoints ! You cannot go wrong with any item! Wonderful food, delightful atmosphere! Make sure you leave room for dessert!Special Features:
- Check Your Receipt was OverchargedDarleneDined on 8/3/2014I was over charged $10 for my protein. I ordered the Ossabaw Pork Chop but was charged for the Bison Chop. Sitting in the shadows I could not read my receipt, but I will not visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Farm to Table Excellence in S'tonFoodieLionDined on 8/3/2014A great addition to the Shirlington scene. Kitchen is truly farm to table, from scratch and can tell you where they source from. Draft list is excellent, Burbon list is fantastic! Great wine list and craft cocktails too. Great Brunch spot and family dinner too!Special Features:
- I'd go back for the foodJEZEatsVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is quite good and the atmosphere is fun. I will go again! I have one small criticism: they need to get over themselves about the drinks. It wasn't the waiter but a manager who insisted I would like the mule (after some discussion and me saying no, he insisted he would take it off the check if I didn't like it - and he honored that when I didn't. I thought maybe it was isolated, but my friend ordered a bottle of wine that he insisted she would like once it opened up. It didn't and she didn't like it. All of this doesn't take away from the good food, overall good service and nice atmosphere. But it sure would be nice if they listened more and bragged less. They'd have happier patrons and wouldn't have to give away drinks.
- Copperwood TavernReneeDined on 8/2/2014I have been here several times with friends for brunch or seated at the bar. Incredibly knowledgeable staff, helpful and the food is great. Kyle at the bar is a delight. Try the oysters, both raw and grilled. Burgers are super. Pancakes and French toast are plentiful and delicious. Bacon is great. Can't wait to try the spare ribs which I have heard are superb.Special Features:
- Good food, drinks, and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014There was a group of four of us that decided to check out Copperwood on a Friday night. We ended up sitting in the bar area since we could choose from both the bar and dinner menu. One person in our group is Vegan and was able to find a couple of options for dinner and he enjoyed them. The drinks were slow coming, but very good! Glad to know a lot of items (including the ketchup and simple syrup) are made in house and that the restaurant prides itself on Farm-to-Table. The portions are huge, so next time I think we will share courses. Overall a great experience. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A New Go-To!CMRJMU08VIPDined on 7/28/2014I've dined at this restaurant twice and have had a great experience both times. The first time I went for brunch and got the french toast; delicious! My friend got the eggs benedict which was good, but what made it were the home fries! Then recently, I took my family who was visiting from out of town for dinner. I picked the pork chop and holy moly this was amazing. Warning; it's massive so either go starving or plan on taking home leftovers. The pork chop was seasoned very well and was very flavorful and juicy. I would order it again in a heart beat. My other family members got the sword fish, the steak, the quinoa stuffed peppers; all got great reviews. I recommend the truffle mac and gouda mashed potatoes for sides! Asparagus was meh.Special Features:
- Best brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014I had the breakfast sandwich, and the biscuit was the best I've ever had... and I'm from the South!Special Features:
- Side dishes reignJB2020VIPDined on 7/26/2014The two of us focused our menu selections on appetizers or side dishes. Fried Brussels sprouts, Mac n cheese, asparagus,....all yummy. skip the grilled salad, not grilled enough.did add the trout but we were full so most of it came home.it was friend's birthday so they surprised us with delicious ice cream and brownie dessert. Wasn't exactly a "heart happy kind of place or meal but was delicious going down. We were happyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working on it.hmmmDined on 7/25/2014Bruschetta with balsamic reduction was fantastic. Fried brussel sprouts were pretty oily, trout filet very buttery. Roasted asparagus nondescript Local food, yay. High fat, boo. Good draft beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like mediocre....OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/23/2014I was not impressed. First, there was the price vs. value. My companion order a duck breast a-la-carte at $26 requesting it be cooked medium well and it came out medium rare. He sent it back and it came back over cooked 15 minutes later. Why didn't they cook another duck breast? Secondly, serve was spotty. After asking for a glass of wine, it took 3 repeated requests to receive it. On the positive side, the caesar salad and gazpacho was very good. I might try it one more time. I do try to give a restaurant 3 opportunities, but there is a lot of competition for my food dollars in Arlington. This might not get a third try if the second visit doesn't improve.Special Features:
- Highs and LowstastefulDined on 7/22/2014Wait staff services were terrific, especially wine recommendation from lengthy list. Interesting and tasty food choices, but some items only come in serving sizes enough for 2-3 persons. Great if others want to share but doesn't always work out that way. Both entrees (duck and swordfish) needed to go back for additional cooking -- but staff were did so with apology and returned dishes quickly from the kitchen.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Sunday DinnerAlexandriaCoupleDined on 7/20/2014Looking for a decent place with options for a 14 year old we ran across Copperwood Tavern in nearby Shirlington. The restaurant was quite full but we were seated immediately. Although the menu didn't list any non-alcoholic beverages, the server quickly answered our questions and we got wonderful homemade raspberry lemonade and sparkling water. The appetizers and entrees were creative and flavorful. NOTE: no vegetables come on the plates so you have to order a side which adds another $8, so $31 Bison steak with asparagus becomes $39! We ordered desserts but this is not their forte. We will definitely go back but would skip dessert here and go elsewhere.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014This was my second visit and I must say that the service is BEYOND EXCELLENT! Unfortunately, I'm just not sold, yet, on the food. The menu reads well it just doesn't translate to the taste. I will continue to give them a trymSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!FXLocalDined on 7/20/2014We had a great time at brunch and are lookning forward to going back to try the dinner menu. We didnt see a kids menu but there were a few kid friendly things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KnerqDined on 7/20/2014Copperwood Tavern is awesome. I love the decor and the thoughtfulnes that went into their menu. So glad to see more than one vegetarian option! Service was great. All the staff is friendly and professional. I will definitely be back.Special Features: