4021 Campbell Avenue
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.copperwoodtavern.com/
- Phone: 7035528010x
- Hours of Operation:
Sat-Sun 10am-1am, Brunch until 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allan Avery
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Copperwood Tavern
A cabin-style watering hole with amazing food and drink, Copperwood Tavern is your oasis from the hustle and bustle of the city. Specializing in seasonal American small plates, we feature prime cuts of local game, farm-raised poultry, beef and fresh fish accompanied with hearty, family-style sides.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Copperwood Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Copperwood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (120)fit for foodies (109)great for outdoor dining (93)great for brunch (87)good for groups (80)great for lunch (56)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (37)special occasion (33)kid-friendly (21)romantic (15)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great foodsammVIPDined on 10/18/2014Trout was delicious, as was the porkchop. The Nutella ice cream was good choc. with NO hint of Nutella ... quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clean FoodMCEDREDined on 10/15/2014Love Farm to Table restaurants when they get it right they've got it right. Fresh, clean, and out of this world service. Good any night of the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experience!CoopDined on 10/11/2014We booked a week in advance and were pleased they took larger group reservations. We went on a Saturday night with 9 people. Food was delicious (we shared 5 sides which was plenty for all) and the ambiance was very cool and relaxing. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner-Recommend Pork ChopsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014The restaurant is lively so as a group of four we appreciate that we were seated in a booth in the back corner where we had some privacy and quieter space. The two men both ordered the pork chops which they raved about (my husband had eaten it here before and already knew it was awesome). I enjoyed my pecan crusted trout and grilled asparagus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening30BdayDinerDined on 10/10/2014Delicious food, excellent service! Would definitely recommend to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected moreAnneB703Dined on 10/9/2014I can't say that I was wow-ed by this farm-to-table Shirlington staple. It was just ok. The portions I thought were a little on the small side- 4 pieces of asparagus does not a side dish make. The salmon I ordered was a bit overcooked. Maybe it was my fault for trying to go healthy, perhaps some of their yummier items would have gone over better with my group of ladies. None of us said we were in any rush to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends and Food!friendsandfoodDined on 10/5/2014Six of us met at Copperwood Tavern for brunch on a Sunday. We had reservations, were seated immediately, the room was busy but the space where were seated was quiet and perfect for conversation. The food was great, we did not feel rushed, the service was pleasant and efficient and we all went away feeling happy and full. To a person, everyone said some variation of, " This is a great place, I'll be back!"Special Features:
- doggie brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014The staff were very accommodating for an outdoor brunch with our dog. The hostess brought a large bowl of water and our waiter brought treats that he inhaled! The crabcake benedict was good; the crab (not the hollandaise) was the star. The Bellini was crisp and refreshing. We'll definitely be back in the spring for another brunch with our dog.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingRaspberryberetDined on 10/3/2014This is personal taste of course but there was almost nothing on the menu I wanted to order. The whole farm to table thing has led to far too many mushrooms on everything. I ended up with a salad that was ok but the duck in it tasted of dark dark game meat and overwhelmed the other flavours in the dish. The advertised happy hour oysters were only available at the bar - not made clear up front. Despite asking for my cocktail without vermouth, it came with plenty. Even without wine, the bill was over $100 for two. We had high hopes of Copperwood. Its menu looked like it had moved away from the usual pub fare, burgers, ribs, fake Mexican etc etc. But the food was over wrought and over thought. Still nowhere good in Shirlington!
- Not bad, but not great, either.JeetyetDined on 10/1/2014Dinner. Husband and I were seated at a great table by the window. Unfortunately,the tables for two are so close together,we felt as if our quiet conversation wasn't private. The food was good,nothing spectacular. Hubs wanted a burger and was told no, that could only be done on the "Bar Side" of the place. Seems like either bad business or a way to up-sell the dinner customer. $10/ side is a bit high for truffled Mac and cheese, that barely had truffle flavor and for 6-7 grilled asparagus spears.Hubs had onion soup/filet,I had quinoa stuffed peppers/mushroom/goat cheese bruschetta.Food tasted ok,don't feel the need to go back.We each had a Moscow Mule and both tasted like melted ice cubes. Waiter was very good. Not worth $100 tab.
- Fantastic Everything!JrzeygrlDined on 9/22/2014We went for a special birthday dinner. I made a reservation for a Monday night, but it was not crowded at all. We were given a quiet booth and a very friendly server helped us. Food was delicious...from the huckleberry gravy bison meatballs to the stout brownie. We will definitely be back for another visit!Special Features:
- Padre's birthday- successkaburnDined on 9/21/2014Went for my father's birthday recently, and it was a great experience. At the end of the night, our waitress (who was attentive and easy-going all evening) brought out his fig creme brûlée (delicious) with a candle in it, and got the whole staff to sign a birthday card for him. Very sweet, above and beyond the call of duty. Don't miss the brussel sprouts or truffle mac and cheese. The pumpkin risotto was also fantastic. Additionally, they have an extensive selection of moonshine, if that's your thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Visit Here!JaclynVIPDined on 9/21/2014Love the fried chicken and biscuits! Had to come back to get it! They'r blueberry ricotta pancakes are also delicious! Planning to make another trip back to try their biscuits and gravy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the pork chopOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014This was a great find for a pre-theatre dinner in Arlington/Shirlington. My pork chop was the best I'd ever had and my wife's venison chop was excellent as well. The salad, sides, and appetizer meatballs were all fantastic. Friendly and knowledgeable staff completed the experience.Special Features:
- dontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 9/20/2014My husband had the blueberry ricotta pancakes and enjoyed them. I was looking forward to my duck confit hash because at a restaurant in DelRay the dish was delicious. My expectations hit the floor, the meal was dry and tasteless and sadly wait staff linger so quickly she missed my saying it was so, so. I boxed it to go to feed to a tenant dog in our building.
- Reservations WorthlessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Our 8pm resevation wasn't honored and we were told he had to sit at the bar. The food was expensive given the size of our order. We have eaten at Copperwood on several occassions and after this experience can confidently say we will never go back.Special Features:
- Lola2003VIPDined on 9/19/2014Absolutely zero wow factor at this place. We dined there on a Friday night and there were no specials. This was our second trip to Copperwood and the menu had not changed that much, which was surprising. The menu had hardly any healthy choices and the dishes are overworked. My pecan crusted trout was not seasoned, prior to cooking,and floating in butter. I had to ask the server for salt because it was so bland. The side dish of creamed corn we ordered had red peppers, which did not add anything to the dish. The sautéed spinach was decent but over salted. The bison meatballs were very good and the only highlight of the meal. Service was superb We will not be back, but if you like heavy carb and fat laden food, then this place is for you.
- Great farm-to-table restaurantcameo70VIPDined on 9/14/2014Copperwood Tavern is a great farm-to-table addition to Shirlington. Everything at brunch from the fresh-squeezed orange juice to the French toast sticks to the duck hash was delicious. The service for our large table of 7 was superb as well. I highly recommend Copperwood Tavern!Special Features:
- Awesome experiencetj1708VIPDined on 9/13/2014First time and we will return. Their food was outstanding.You get three litte cornbred muffins with butter right up front and water. We had the Meatballs fo appetizer Duck and Venison as our Main course and shared the brussel sprouts! Best Sprouds ever. Our Server was friendly and on her game....think her name was Susan! Very happy with out dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent time as always.seemenowDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoy this restaurant. Food is wonderful and service is prompt and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CWT is a Shirlington gemQueentut8Dined on 9/12/2014When you walk into Copperwood, you are immediately greeted by the friendly hosts and warm, comfortable ambiance. The cocktails are delish, as are the local beers offered. But the main event is the food. You can order an entree, or simply make a meal from sides (my preference.) Simply put, best Brussels sprouts ever. Best fries in a 20 mi radius. Delicious baked beans and sinful Mac and cheese. It's culinary nirvana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quick pre-theatre mealDCCHughesVIPDined on 9/10/2014We arrived a little late and didn't have time to order a full meal and still make it to the theatre on time. Our server was great, very upfront with us about what the kitchen's ability was to serve us and he pointed us to what would be best to order. While I would have liked to have ordered a full entree from their wonderful-sounding selection, the frisee salad I had was great and very filling. My husband was able to get an entree and enjoyed it immensely, along with the sides. Our server was attentive and very helpful in getting us out on time to see our show.Special Features:
- Friendly and Fine FoodMarlowe17Dined on 9/6/2014Our group of six all liked the farm-to-table ethic of the restaurant, with each of us enjoying our entrees very much. The service was informal but professional and friendly. The atmosphere also was informal, and we were pleased that we did not have to shout the length of the table to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique but bad serviceAJ18Dined on 8/29/2014Our waitress was sloooowwwww. The food is good (get the bison meatballs and brussels sprouts!), but expect long waits at your table. Highly recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Copperwood a great additionSoupVIPDined on 8/28/2014Copperwood is a terrific addition to the Shirlington neighborhood. Its lunch menu features some fabulous sandwiches -- very inventive twists on old favorites. The salads are fresh and delicious, fries are good and can be ordered "naked" for folks who do not want the various seasonings. The weak link continues to be the desserts. heavy, leaden, dry "shortcakes", and the rhubarb creme brulee had the rhubarb, but was watery. with such terrific bread for the sandwiches, I am puzzled as to why the desserts seem to confound them. Nevertheless, we will return! (but not for dessert)Special Features:
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014My first visit to Copperwood and would definitely go back again. However, the host insisted on seating us at a table for two when there were plenty of tables of four avaiable. I felt crammed in the entire time. The food was very good, especially the gouda mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Awesome brunch!ajmPRDined on 8/24/2014The food was great, especially duck hash! The staff is super nice and very acommodating!Special Features:
- good food, helpful serviceEllenPDined on 8/24/2014We went for brunch before a matinee at the Signature Theater. Server recommended the Farmers Salad, which was very good, especially with the grilled shrimp added. My companion had a very nice portobello sandwich. The creme brulee was okay, not great. Would definitely go back--looks like they have an extensive selection of draft beers and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; great serviceVocalOneVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was my second visit, after having had a mediocre brunch experience. My second visit was far better. Highly recommend Copperwood Tavern for dinner! Highlights include Colonist Collins (cocktail), the French onion soup, short ribs, and the fried Brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- Servers Need TrainingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Food was very good. Atmosphere is fine (casual, a bit loud, but par for the course for these types of restaurants). Service NOT good. Waiter hovered the entire evening. Hint: You only need to ask once if the food is OK. Went there to catch up with a friend, but the waiter kept interrrupting the conversation. I wanted to smack him. Jeez. Can I please finish a sentence? Stop interrupting!. If you (waiter) walk by table without interrupting or show your face in the vicinity every once in awhile (again, without interrupting), I can flag you down if I need something. Please don't roll up and start talking when you see someone is in the middle sentence. Management, please train/re-train your servers.Special Features:
- Great Local foodLindaDined on 8/21/2014The grilled Caesar is divine. Topped with grilled shrimp made for the perfect late lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected GemjtmgDined on 8/18/2014First time...no disappointment. Great waiter; very attentive and engaging, but not overly so. Filet mignon perfectly cooked. Side dishes large enough to share. Excellent drink menu. Would go again.Special Features:
- Wasn't wowed by brunchVocalOneVIPDined on 8/17/2014As a gluten-free diner, I wasn't expecting to have tons of options here; that said, generally brunch (vs. dinner) provides significantly more options than what was available on their brunch menu. Notably, the shrimp and grits contained gluten (these are almost always GF at other restaurants). I was with a party of four and only one was elated with her meal (she ordered the French toast). The bloody Mary's looked great, but were far too salty. The service and ambiance were good to very good. I really want to like this place, so I'm trying again. I have a reservation this Saturday night for dinner - steaks should be GF, right? :) Also excited to try some of the moonshine on the drink menu!
- Food was disappointing!Phaal21Dined on 8/15/2014We were very disappointed with the food at our visit. The short ribs appetizer we had was the only standout item. The swordfish was dry and lacking in flavor. Mixed Greens salad with vegetables had all of a slice or 2 of pepper and a couple radish slices and no dressing was on it. I had to ask for dressing. The brussel sprouts (which were touted as a menu favorite) seemed to be a bit charred. There are too many other great restaurants in Shirlington to bother giving this one a second visit.
- First VisitDECTRADined on 8/13/2014Open floor concept. Bar separated by glass framed windows, permitting one to see across the room. Menu is small to medium sized, good variety of items offered. Service good, waiter knowledgeable and friendly. Appetizers: Grilled Chincoteague Oysters (awesome). Also tried the Steak Tartare, it was a bit salty, but the quail egg on top muted some of the salt. Order either of the appetizers again? Yep. Main Courses: Bison Rib Eye and the Brown Ale Butter Chicken. Both were perfect. Sides are 'family style'. Mac n Cheese was well presented, but the hit of the party was the fried brussel sprouts, served with crispy shallots, bacon and maple-mustard vinaigrette, both the taste and the crispy texture were perfect.Special Features:
- Birthday Lunchmisswonderful531Dined on 8/12/2014Went there for my boyfriends lunch and had a pleasant time. It was for lunch on Tuesday so the place was quiet which is ok for us. The waitress for very nice and responsive. We ordered the grilled Chincoteague's and they were fresh and very flavorful. I had the Drunken Portobello and my boyfriend had the Lamb Burger. Both were very good and the food came quick. The fries were also very good, full of flavor and not too salty. My boyfriend event got a free birthday brownie with a candle!Special Features:
- Copperwood Tavern ReduxReneeDined on 8/10/2014This has become my go-to place. I love introducing new people to it, and did so again last weekend. Each person loved what she had for brunch. Service was excellent. We are already making plans to meet there again.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!!EyeluvfoodDined on 8/9/2014I went with 3 friends and a baby. We made our reservation for 545pm to avoid the dinner rush. At that time there were many open tables and we could talk without shouting. Everyone loved their meals. My boyfriend and I got the bison and venison chop. Well worth the money. And the server was not only knowledgeable but extremely friendly and attentive. I am a huge coffee drinker and I usually have to flag someone down for refills but she was asking if I wanted more before I was even done with my cup! Everyone that worked there was very friendly, the food was awesome and the atmosphere at that time was great having a baby. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014The pork chop entree was exceptional. We've never had such tender and flavorful pork. The grilled oysters with which we started were cooked to perfection and deliciously seasoned.Special Features:
- Great for lunch - super service!PutzeeDined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed a nice, leisurely lunch with a friend, shared fried green tomatoes, grilled Caesar salad and shrimp/lobster roll - each of which were very good choices - fresh, flavorful and yummy. Our waitress was very attentive, kind and patient as we spent a couple of hours there catching up during our lunch outing. Even at lunch, the acoustics make if slightly noisy, but I would definitely go back and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.