4021 Campbell Avenue
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.copperwoodtavern.com/
- Phone: (703) 552-8010
- Hours of Operation:
Sat-Sun 10am-1am, Brunch until 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Allan Avery
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Copperwood Tavern
A cabin-style watering hole with amazing food and drink, Copperwood Tavern is your oasis from the hustle and bustle of the city. Specializing in seasonal American small plates, we feature prime cuts of local game, farm-raised poultry, beef and fresh fish accompanied with hearty, family-style sides.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Copperwood Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Copperwood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (107)good for groups (83)great for brunch (75)great for outdoor dining (70)vibrant bar scene (44)great for lunch (44)hot spot (41)special occasion (30)kid-friendly (19)romantic (18)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- kakisfDined on 11/23/2014Very pleasant brunch service and delicious dishes. Would return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm, cozy, chicJacquelynnVIPDined on 11/21/2014and oh by the way the best Brussels sprouts ever. like, ever. wait staff was knowledgeable, wine list was great, food was farm to table as promised and delicious, atmosphere was cozy, a bit noisy but in a good way, and everything we had was fabulous. totally recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/19/2014$1 oysters! Moonshine cocktails! what's not to try? Mac and cheese, brussel sprouts all GREAT! Service was excellent, cute decor. Nice, local place to go!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Copperwood is the best!MegsDined on 11/16/2014I think I found my favorite restaurant. Amazing food! Highly recommend...you can't go wrong with what you choose. Everyone at my table loved their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner at CopperwoodMtngrrlDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I have eaten at Copperwood several times, and it never disappoints. The food is excellent. We've had almost everything on the menu, but the pork chop, filet mignon, and chicken are our favorites. The brussel sprouts and the gouda mashed potatoes are to die for. Their bourbon list is impressive. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/14/2014The French Onion soup is a gastronomic delight. It's rich and robust. The large size is a great entree for the cold weather season that has quickly descended on the DC region. If you're a truffle connoisseur, the Truffle Mac & Cheese is a must try. The Petit Manseng white wine from Lovingston Winery was a wonderful accompaniment to the grilled oysters and French Onion soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- improvingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/10/2014the last time i was here, the service was ok. this time, the service was so much better! the bison chop is always in the entrees we order. food has always been delicious.
- Energetic & definetly ReturningWinningVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was AWESOME! This was my groups first time and we would be visiting it again. Service was on point. We had bison which was juicy, porkchops seasoning was off the hook and I can't wait to go back and have them, I had trout which was cooked to the tee and chicken. The appetizers. OMGoodness the brussel sprouts try them you will love them, potatoe and french fries. All of it was GREAT!!!! Thanks for a wonderful experience. And a really nice birthday desert treat. Our waiter and all that were around were patient, informative, and very resourceful. he was great. You could see the team effort to please. This is a go to place.Special Features:
- Great eveningWine4meDined on 11/8/2014Food wonderful, unique menu. Great addition to Shirlington area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dancinbobDined on 11/6/2014In Shirlington for a long weekend, the final one for my show at the Signature, the meal in question is one of three I'll be having at Copperwood (also having dinner tonight and brunch Sunday). Clearly, I like it very much.Special Features:
- Excellent Neighborhood RestaurantLovetoEatDined on 11/5/2014This farm-to-table restaurant has a very tasty selection of appetizers/salads and a decent wine list. Entrees include a selection of very hearty beef, bison and pork offerings, but is short on seafood. There also is a wide selection of sides. Service is knowledgeable and attentive. You need reservations.Special Features:
- great service, good foodAnonymousDined on 11/4/2014Pork chops are great! So is gouda mashed potatoes. Prices are high for a restaurant of that caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Apple Bread PuddingCiaoBellaVIPDined on 11/4/2014We wanted to try something new in Shirlington so we gave Copperwood a try. While we enjoy sharing appetizers and desserts, it was a challenge to pair entrees and enjoy a balanced meal. The trout, which we hoped would be the lighter entree, turned out to be extremely rich, with way too much butter. Oysters and Seared Caesar Salad with shrimp were probably the best bets for our tastes. The Apple Bread Pudding and the Pumpkin Rum Ice Cream brought us to a satisfactory finish, as did the service which was courteous, efficient, and attentive.
- OKJSDCDined on 11/2/2014Bustling place with a lively bar area. Food was good, but nothing outstanding. Service, I have to say, was johnny-on-the-spot without being too much.Special Features:
- Some Things OK - Some Very GoodSJC22206Dined on 11/2/2014It's one of those places...you love what you love about it and then you turn a blind eye to the other things. First off though, the brussels sprouts were wonderful and worth the trip! The decor seems very "Cracker Barrel-esque", but I guess that's the "theme". The tables for two are pretty crammed so you may find yourself chatting up your neighbors to break the uneasy closeness, as we did. They were nice folks with some good suggestions. We tried many appetizers and would recommend most--yum. What we did not care for were the prosciutto-wrapped figs (bleu cheese inside totally overwhelmed the flavor--perhaps goat cheese would be better) and the restaurant favorite, short ribs which tasted like they were swimming in a sugary syrup :(
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014A very nice staff who accommodated our party when we were didn't want to sit next to the door. The food was delicious. Loved the popcorn at the table! Delicious mix of seasoning.Special Features:
- Great experience, service and food!GreatExpectationsDined on 11/2/2014I made a reservation in advance for a large group-first thing in the morning for weekend brunch. We arrived promptly and while we were the first table to be sat, it was clear to stranglers coming in without reservations, that all of the other tables were spoken for. I was bummed for those folks and was thankful we planned ahead. Our large group (12) experienced fantastic service! The server offered to break up the checks if we let her know who should be billed together. How nice! We had some couples, kids, singles, parents. Better yet-it was accurate. She was on top of refills and other requests, as well. And the food - delish! The variety of brunch offerings and high quality food will please the entire crowd.Special Features:
- bmckayVIPDined on 10/28/2014I came here for a birthday celebration with some friends. Copperwood is is already one of my new favorites but the extra touches that they added to the experience that night made the night even more special! Our waitress was very attentive and she made sure that everyone had a great time!Special Features:
- great new place in Arlingtonm22302Dined on 10/28/2014Great outdoor seating and inside seating is cozy for small or large groups. Great small bites at the bar and drink menu is always rotating. Great food and the burgers are amazing at lunch!Special Features:
- InterestingGudsDined on 10/27/2014Copperwood has some interesting dishes on their menu. The food is almost always great. Got the chicken and salmon and they were both good. Had an order of mussels, delish! One of the only bars around that serves my favorite wine, Predator, Red Zin.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceorpheusDined on 10/26/2014I loved that all of the produce and meat came from local farms. The bison and shared sides we ordered were really good, and generous portions. The cocktails were strong, but tasty. However, the service we received was poor. Our waiter wasn't outright rude, but incredibly condescending to the elderly at our table. You could also see his impatience in talking to them. Once he realized we weren't going to be ordering more food, he also became a bit neglectful. The rest of the staff that delivered our food were friendly, so it might be a one-time occurrence.Special Features:
- A Great Find!gohusky03Dined on 10/26/2014I hosted a brunch for my sister's baby shower at Copperwood Tavern. I am not from the area, so just made reservations based on reviews I found online. I was thrilled with Copperwood Tavern! Or server, Sharifah, was wonderful! She was friendly and attentive and willing to accommodate all of our requests. The food was phenomenal! And the atmosphere was so rustic, yet upscale and inviting. I can't wait to return for dinner and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchJacksonWVIPDined on 10/25/2014The bananas fosters french toast and fried chicken biscuits were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Day in ShirlingtonKristamxDined on 10/25/2014While it was a lovely day for out door dining, Copperwood has a nice ambiance inside especially by the windows. I ordered the BALT which I have had here before but was disappointed by the bacon in my sandwich was so hard I had to take it out I was also a little disappointed with the salad. However, the person dining with me got the biscuits and gravy which looked incredible and we split the French toast sticks which are always very Yummy. Our waiter was attentive and the service was good. It is definitely someplace I will go back to because the food is generally really good and the atmosphere is great.Special Features:
- Multiple beers on tapSmittyDined on 10/24/2014We had a group of 11 that swelled to 12--they were great about it! We sat at a table with long benches on the sides and chairs on the ends (excellent for us, but some people don't feel right if they don't have a chair back). It was a bit loud and quite difficult for one member of our group who was hard of hearing. They served mini-corn muffins to start--very nice. Many beers on tap, and a nice menu--broad enough choices without being overwhelming. I had a perfectly prepared and presented lobster claw dish and quinoa stuffed peppers were tasty. Service was good, not great--one person came late and only had soup, so we all were clearly getting ready to leave, but it took a while to get his check and have the check picked up.Special Features:
- Ok- nothing special, nothing badJacksonDined on 10/23/2014Nice simple place. Came for dinner and found the food nice. Lots of oil, cheese, butter etc in dishes which was a bit much. Next time I will sample more salads etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodsammVIPDined on 10/18/2014Trout was delicious, as was the porkchop. The Nutella ice cream was good choc. with NO hint of Nutella ... quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clean FoodMCEDREDined on 10/15/2014Love Farm to Table restaurants when they get it right they've got it right. Fresh, clean, and out of this world service. Good any night of the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experience!CoopDined on 10/11/2014We booked a week in advance and were pleased they took larger group reservations. We went on a Saturday night with 9 people. Food was delicious (we shared 5 sides which was plenty for all) and the ambiance was very cool and relaxing. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner-Recommend Pork ChopsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014The restaurant is lively so as a group of four we appreciate that we were seated in a booth in the back corner where we had some privacy and quieter space. The two men both ordered the pork chops which they raved about (my husband had eaten it here before and already knew it was awesome). I enjoyed my pecan crusted trout and grilled asparagus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening30BdayDinerDined on 10/10/2014Delicious food, excellent service! Would definitely recommend to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected moreAnneB703Dined on 10/9/2014I can't say that I was wow-ed by this farm-to-table Shirlington staple. It was just ok. The portions I thought were a little on the small side- 4 pieces of asparagus does not a side dish make. The salmon I ordered was a bit overcooked. Maybe it was my fault for trying to go healthy, perhaps some of their yummier items would have gone over better with my group of ladies. None of us said we were in any rush to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends and Food!friendsandfoodDined on 10/5/2014Six of us met at Copperwood Tavern for brunch on a Sunday. We had reservations, were seated immediately, the room was busy but the space where were seated was quiet and perfect for conversation. The food was great, we did not feel rushed, the service was pleasant and efficient and we all went away feeling happy and full. To a person, everyone said some variation of, " This is a great place, I'll be back!"Special Features:
- doggie brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014The staff were very accommodating for an outdoor brunch with our dog. The hostess brought a large bowl of water and our waiter brought treats that he inhaled! The crabcake benedict was good; the crab (not the hollandaise) was the star. The Bellini was crisp and refreshing. We'll definitely be back in the spring for another brunch with our dog.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingRaspberryberetDined on 10/3/2014This is personal taste of course but there was almost nothing on the menu I wanted to order. The whole farm to table thing has led to far too many mushrooms on everything. I ended up with a salad that was ok but the duck in it tasted of dark dark game meat and overwhelmed the other flavours in the dish. The advertised happy hour oysters were only available at the bar - not made clear up front. Despite asking for my cocktail without vermouth, it came with plenty. Even without wine, the bill was over $100 for two. We had high hopes of Copperwood. Its menu looked like it had moved away from the usual pub fare, burgers, ribs, fake Mexican etc etc. But the food was over wrought and over thought. Still nowhere good in Shirlington!
- Not bad, but not great, either.JeetyetDined on 10/1/2014Dinner. Husband and I were seated at a great table by the window. Unfortunately,the tables for two are so close together,we felt as if our quiet conversation wasn't private. The food was good,nothing spectacular. Hubs wanted a burger and was told no, that could only be done on the "Bar Side" of the place. Seems like either bad business or a way to up-sell the dinner customer. $10/ side is a bit high for truffled Mac and cheese, that barely had truffle flavor and for 6-7 grilled asparagus spears.Hubs had onion soup/filet,I had quinoa stuffed peppers/mushroom/goat cheese bruschetta.Food tasted ok,don't feel the need to go back.We each had a Moscow Mule and both tasted like melted ice cubes. Waiter was very good. Not worth $100 tab.
- Fantastic Everything!JrzeygrlDined on 9/22/2014We went for a special birthday dinner. I made a reservation for a Monday night, but it was not crowded at all. We were given a quiet booth and a very friendly server helped us. Food was delicious...from the huckleberry gravy bison meatballs to the stout brownie. We will definitely be back for another visit!Special Features:
- Padre's birthday- successkaburnDined on 9/21/2014Went for my father's birthday recently, and it was a great experience. At the end of the night, our waitress (who was attentive and easy-going all evening) brought out his fig creme brûlée (delicious) with a candle in it, and got the whole staff to sign a birthday card for him. Very sweet, above and beyond the call of duty. Don't miss the brussel sprouts or truffle mac and cheese. The pumpkin risotto was also fantastic. Additionally, they have an extensive selection of moonshine, if that's your thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Visit Here!JaclynVIPDined on 9/21/2014Love the fried chicken and biscuits! Had to come back to get it! They'r blueberry ricotta pancakes are also delicious! Planning to make another trip back to try their biscuits and gravy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the pork chopOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014This was a great find for a pre-theatre dinner in Arlington/Shirlington. My pork chop was the best I'd ever had and my wife's venison chop was excellent as well. The salad, sides, and appetizer meatballs were all fantastic. Friendly and knowledgeable staff completed the experience.Special Features: