1502 S Howard Ave.
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://copperfishtampa.com/
- Phone: 8132516789
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Wednesday 4:00 until 11:00
Thursday through Saturday 4:00 until 11:00
Bar and Lounge open late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Mangone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Copper Fish
COPPERFISH offers the finest and freshest regional seafood in America. COPPERFISH is an outdoor patio overlooking luxurious fountain pool and an interior boasting a warm, energetic full-service bar and inviting oyster bar. Our classic, yet comfortable ambiance inspires a relaxed dining experience. The winning combination of superior seafood, premium hand cut steaks, unparalleled atmosphere and first-rate service has garnered the restaurant a loyal following and a storied reputation for value and excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Copper Fish - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Copper Fish reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (40)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (27)romantic (26)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (11)late-night find (9)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- FoodCammVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was good but out of our first "2" choices & our reservation was @ 8pm. So we had pick our 3rd choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried 3 times :-(Yummy1234Dined on 8/30/2014Bad, bad, bad! Tried 3 times. Service was bad, outside bar service worse then bad, tables outside stinks like fish and old beer. Yuck!
- Awesome seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great place for lobster, oysters, clams, muscles and much more. Always willing to modify your order to your liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, so so serviceABTampaDined on 8/23/2014Copperfish had great food, except for the grilled oysters which were delicious if you could find the ever-so-small oyster in there. Service was a bit to be desired. It started with our reservation. They only had a seat outside, which we did not want. Then they sat us in the loud lounge even though we has a reservation and the main dining room did not have a lot of people dining. We had two servers - one was great but slow, the other was ok and slow as well. I enjoyed my snapper but I don't know if I'd rush back there.Special Features:
- DisappointingCrawriteDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten here before, but this time was a disappointment. Service was poor as was the food. They were out of a few important items on a Saturday at 5:30.
- CopperfishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent food and service...will be back next time I am in Tampa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but Menu Needs Some WorkRobbDined on 8/20/2014This place has a hit-or-miss reputation on Urbanspoon, Yelp, and TripAdvisor. My friend and I went to render our own judgment. We had issues with the wine. The list is not good. We ordered a shiraz and cabernet. Both were stale. We tried cocktails. They were -very- weak. My companion stuck with her cocktail while I chose a different wine which I ended up liking -enough-. The food, however, was tasty. Everything was skillfully cooked and plated. The carpaccio was excellent. I heard a lot about the basil-chocolate cupcake, but both of us thought it was dry and more minty than basil-y. The creme brulee was weak and a little liquidy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tampa FavLeeleeDined on 8/19/2014Great dining experience! The Black Grouper with White Truffle Grits is a favorite. Start with the Sushi and end your dining experience with Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food--terrible seats!BeershebaVIPDined on 8/17/2014A great neighborhood restaurant with an excellent Sunday brunch--unlimited Bloody Marys for $20. The lobster roll is awesome! Unfortunately, the booths are horribly uncomfortable. They sit way too low, and sitting in the middle is like riding a rail. Surely they could find some more comfortable seating for the booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed to say the leastdmb26VIPDined on 8/16/2014Brought my girlfriends here from out of town on their last night in Tampa. Had very high expectations because I'm a huge fan of Boca, it's sister restaurant. Unfortunately, my high ended upon greeting with our waitress who acted like 3 young adults were a complete waist of her time although we all ordered multiple rounds of cocktails - which were just ok, 4 apps - all decent, and entrees - I had the grouper which was good. To make matters worse it took an hour to receive our dinner. Copperfish has a lot of potential but the overall service completely ruined our dining experience from the get-go. If you're looking for a place with an awesome ambience, great service and excellent food... Try Boca.Special Features:
- DisappointingSTFrequentDinerDined on 8/16/2014First off, the food was really good. The rest of the experience, not so much. We made reservations (obviously, since this is on OpenTable), and when we arrived, the hostess first tried to seat us outside (it was well over 90 degrees), and then in the "lounge" (with the ambiance of a sports bar). I'm sorry, but we are a couple in our 50s, dressed up; who would imagine we wanted to sit outside or in a sports bar? When we said no to both of those, we were seated opposite the door to the women's restroom, right in the walkway for the rest of the restaurant, despite empty tables elsewhere. The service was ... unenthusiastic, but probably competent. Given the prices, there are just a lot of better options in South Tampa.
- Bar Service - Needs a boost.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was good and the ambience was really nice but the bar service was extremely slow. Our server had a great personality. Only downside was the wait for drinks. Not sure why it took up to 20 minutes sometimes for a drink.
- Great FishJimboDined on 8/13/2014We had dinner at Copper Fish on a Thursday evening and the crowd was moderate. The atmosphere is nice but it was a little warm due to the wood fired grill. But, the smell was awesome due to the same grill. We had the grilled oyster app and it was very over cooked but the entree's were excellent. I had the Grouper and it was prepared perfect. Overall a good experience and i would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MThatcherDined on 8/12/2014Our party truly enjoyed themselves. Great ambiance. Amazing food. Truly a neighborhood gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Reservations for 7:15pm. At arrival we were told. Your table is outside. Are you kidding me. Outside in August? Why make reservations. But we waited for a table inside. It took 15 minutes to even get drinks. We placed our appetizer order (for their famous grilled oysters). We are not really sure why they are famous, not so special. Regardless they arrived long before our waitress ever came back to get our order. They were out of one of the items we were ordering but instead of giving us time to adjust the waitress just kept talking. So we just went with the fish and chips. Well I think Arthur Treacher's or Long John Silver's could have done better and they wouldn't have been $17.00. Also 4 hostess up front very confused!!!Special Features:
- copperfish trialjoatDined on 8/9/2014food was very good, service was very slow, lots of apologies. Ran out of several items early on a saturday night VERY NOISY tile floors brick walls conversation difficult. $$$$
- Reservations mean nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We had a reservation at 7:45 am and were not seated till 8:30pm. Could not hear each other speak at all. Not going back unless it changes. Food was good but not worth it. More restaurants to choose from that are available. Karen Speicher
- Good but not greatRedBlurrVIPDined on 8/8/2014Our food was the best part of the meal. But we had some issues...not big ones but lots of little ones. Issues like we were quoted a $15 corkage fee and were charge $20, they do not have any decanters (are you kidding??), the server was rushed and weeded the entire evening, we ordered bottled water and kept getting topped off with tap water from the busser, food came out at different times, etc. Again not huge issues, but enough to be the main discussion of our evening.
- A/C problems, but delicious foodAnnaBananaVIPDined on 8/6/2014I took some friends to Copper Fish for a celebration dinner. The food delicious, but my guests were uncomfortable due to the poor air conditioning. It's August in Tampa, and you know it's hot outside. I have been to the restaurant before, and I have noticed the lack of a/c. My one guest mentioned it to the hostess, and she said it was maxed out. My group seriously wanted to leave, but I convinced them to stay. I bring it up because I have noticed it on previous occasions. But the food was great, and I love the new wall of produce. Hope the A/C improves.
- Service needs improvementMillerDined on 8/5/20142 of us dined on a Tuesday evening. Wait staff seemed understaffed. Polite but slow. Took a while to place an order. Plus there was no bread or anything to nosh on while we waited. Also the hostess asked if a table was ok for us even though she didn't have booths available. Then why do you ask? Service needs improvement for something likened to a steakhouse-style experience. Food was decent. Appetizers were mediocre but the fish entree (grouper) was quite good. Decor was very cool and the vibe was good. Had it not been so hot we would have considered dining outside.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!DJjordanDined on 8/3/2014Went there for Brunch with my wife and had a great meal. The table buffet display was perfectly done you could tell that nothing was a afterthought and presented nicely. The Eggs Benedict was a bit different then a tradional one but was so good with the housemate biscuit and shaved ham. I've never had any fresher sliced fruit before I was told the purchase most of there fruit and vegetables from the farmers market in Plant City and by the taste you can tell. Service was good and really want to go back for dinner! Good job CopperfishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible!finedineDined on 8/2/2014This was the worst dinner I have ever spent over $100 on. My husband and I were celebrating our 28th Wedding Anniversary. We both ordered the Black Grouper entree with grits and truffle oil. It sounded great! It was one of the most expensive items on the menu. Unfortunately, it was very bland. The fish had no taste at all, in fact, I wonder if it was truly grouper. We will NEVER go back. Tampa has many restaurants with better food for a much better price. This is no place for Foodies!! I wish we had gone to The Refinery instead. We have never been disappointed there!
- Unhappy regular customerHSL9051VIPDined on 8/1/2014I have been a regular customer since day one. I brought my family who was in town for my baby shower. Our reservation was not accommodated, lobster was overdone, and crab cakes inedible. Everything else was great. Nothing was done to compensate. C-
- first timeLvon1109Dined on 7/31/2014I've heard great thing about Copper fish and was looking forward to trying it out. Went with a group of 6. Everyone who worked there was very nice and accommodating. It took a little while for our food to come, but in the end it was well worth it. The food was fantastic. Everyone in my party was highly impressed with the food. And because we had to wait so long for our food, the manager comped a round of drinks for the table, even without us complaining about the wait. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great experienceMikeyLoDined on 7/30/2014Couldn't be happier with the food and service. Everything and more than we expected. Outstanding drinks and appetizers before a wonderful dinner. The grilled oysters are to die for. The black grouper entree was superb. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsFlaPilotDined on 7/29/2014So many restaurants in this location, reputation was mixed. Seafood was great and prepared/presented like a fine dining restaurant. I would call it a surprise find as one of Tampa's best seafood houses.. Bar was,unique preparation of drinks....all,with fresh garnish. Neat.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!dotandlesDined on 7/28/2014We went for a special occasion and were treated like royalty. The food was amazing, especially the roasted oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Reservations Bewaretampa2Dined on 7/26/2014Third visit here; 1st was great, second was ok. We made reservations through OpenTable, and when we approached the hosting stand we were informed that we were going to be sitting outside. We did not request to sit outside, and frankly, didn't want to because it was nearly 90 degrees. We were told that if we chose to not take the outside table, that we would probably NOT EVEN GET IN TO EAT, and it was because we made our reservations through OpenTable. "You should have just called us directly and then you'd have been sat inside." We sat outside to avoid upsetting our friends, and the food was really only so-so, so this pretty much cinches it - we won't be returning to CopperFish.Special Features:
- DisappointedKetchk2Dined on 7/23/2014They were clearly having issues with their electricity. It was incredibly hot and the bar was slow. All would have been ok if the server would have hustled and apologized. Instead it seemed like an excise to be lazy.
- The food was less that average.SpecialKDined on 7/22/2014Poor quality in such a great area & neighborhood. Lacks flavor. Bad spend. Maybe good for drinks on bar side.
- Sat nightCMMFDined on 7/19/2014We had a lovely waitress (blond hair with an accent). A little busy/crowded at outside high-top tables, so she moved us to a cozy outside booth. Lovely! The musician was excellent. The only complaint that ALL three of us had about the fish and chips was that is should NOT be put into a creamy sauce at the bottom of the plate!! Strongly suggest putting that on the side. We didn't like that. Overall it was a great night. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Business DinnerDEESBRUNCHDined on 7/16/2014This was our first time trying Copper Fish as a spot for meeting clients for dinner, it came with lots of recommendations overall it was a good experience but I would not say that it left me with a need to visit soon.Special Features:
- Not bad, Not goodFoodHobbitDined on 7/15/2014Everything was good, just nothing was good enough to make me want to eat here again. For the price, there are many better restaurants.The salad would have been better if it wasn't way over dressed. The snapper was decent, but not any better than I could make at home, and I am not that good of a cook. The dessert, creme brulee, had a weird texture and was too sweet. The service was ok.
- Birthday CelebrationFishhawkFoodieDined on 7/15/2014Ambiance was very nice. The music was overbearing and we couldn't hear the person across the table. The shrimp ceviche tasted fishy without a good shrimp flavor. The smoked fish spread was good although they only gave you a few crackers for a mound of spread. Our server did bring more. Our drink orders were the biggest disappointment. It took about 25 minutes each time to receive our drinks. Most of the diners was having a glass of wine so it didn't appear the bar was backed up. The fish and chips were bland. No flavor whatsoever and not a hint of a beer taste in the batter. The salmon dish was very good. I like to give a restaurant a second chance but overall this was such a disappointment that I'm not sure I want to waste my money.
- Good atmosphere, bad foodabr2011Dined on 7/11/2014I usually don't submit reviews, but to be short and to the point: good location, good atmosphere, average service, over-priced food, and most importantly bad quality food. So much potential, but don't see how this place can make it.
- Brunch buffet not greatLb1gymDined on 7/6/2014I love their food so we thought we would try brunch there. Brunch wasn't anywhere near as good as dinner. It was an overpriced buffet with very few options. It left us totally underwhelmed. We will definitely go back for dinner but won't do brunch again.
- major disappointmentbusichiiDined on 7/4/2014Ordered the seafood plateau special and not only was there no lobster, this wasn't communicated to me until the dish arrived. The oysters were a joke, one of five were bad and two of five were butchered and so tiny I wouldn't even call them oysters. I have been here before and loved it however this meal will unfortunately cost them a customer. They made an adjustment on my bill for he lack of lobster but unfortunately never asked how meal was even when I didn't finish half of it, so I decided not to share my thoughts.
- Lived up to the hype.tablefortwoDined on 7/4/2014We arrived in time for happy hour which meant $5.00 grilled oysters in the bar (along with other $5 light food options) The oysters were so outstanding, we considered placing another order. We then moved into the dining room and were seated at a comfortable, cozy booth with a large picture window overlooking Howard Avenue. Our server was great. Our food was great ( fish & chips and grouper ). The atmosphere was great, well lit and lively, but not loud. Request a booth when you make your reservation.Special Features:
- Remarkable food, so-so receptionHooferVIPDined on 6/28/2014Food cannot be missed and the service was very good in this busy restaurant, but call ahead even if you make a reservation on Open Table. They have allotted some not-so-good tables for OT patrons and unless you want to sit outside in the setting sun on a blistering Tampa evening, call them to say that you want inside. All in all, however, the food is enough to come back for and the service was exceptional.Special Features:
- never againslatsDined on 6/28/2014lost reservation, choice of seating in 95 deg heat outside or noisy bar, watered down drinks & had to go out to eat afterwards because of small overpriced portions.