Coppa Ristorante Italiano
5555 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Coppa Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.copparistorante.com/
- Phone: 7134264260
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturday: 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.; Sunday: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian
- Executive Chef: Brandi Key
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Coppa's Amalfi Room offers a unique venue for private dining seating as many as 50 guests for personal and corporate special events.
- Private Party Contact: Danielle Anderson 8887056122
A word from Coppa Ristorante Italiano
Coppa Ristorante Italiano is an expression of the evolution of cuisines, menus, service and ambiance that characterizes the history of the Italian dining experience in this country. Coppa boasts a simple, flavorful menu bringing Houstonians a place to savor a diverse slate of Italian cuisine in a buoyant, bustling atmosphere that captures the Italian spirit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coppa Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- CoppacarlDined on 4/6/2014Very disappointed with the food. This restaurant came highly recommended. The food was bland. The ceasar salid with chargrilled romaine lettuce was a disappointment. The lack of flavor in the dressing made it very unimpressive and the charred lettuce a waste. The lagsagna was bland. Not enough garlic, tomato sauce or taste. My wife's shrimp linguine was OK except that the sauce was very spicy hot. bread/bun served was gooey.Special Features:
- Spaghetti & PizzalisaDined on 3/31/2014You know the signature dish is good when 2 repeat customers order it again. I agreed but had pizza instead. yummy. Add a bottle of wine and we were set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first impressionmbk26Dined on 3/29/2014This was our first visit to Coppa. Our waiter was friendly but unobtrusive and seemed generally knowledgeable about the menu. We started with a shared Caprese salad -- more than enough for two to shared. The salad was heavy on the arugula and light on the tomatoes, but was otherwise tasty. My pasta dish of green spaghetti with a light pomodoro/marinara sauce, with burrata cheese lumped on top to mix in at will, was delicious, as was our dessert of a lemon-flavored semifreddo. The texture was sublime. Overall, a good experience. We will return.Special Features:
- Great food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2014We dined here with another couple on a Saturday night and we really enjoyed the experience. The food was great and the drinks were even better. My husband got a "garden party" cocktail and I took one sip and loved it. We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful evening weather.Special Features:
- Great placeJussiVIPDined on 3/27/2014My wife and I have gone twice and it has moved up the charts to one of our favorites. The homemade pastas are greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedBruceVIPDined on 3/26/2014I've been to COPA multiple times and was always happy but the last time I was met with such lack-luster service I wasn't sure I was in the same place. Food was great but the service really shoddy - maybe Wednesdays are just slow nights with their B-team...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a birthday dinnerSeanDined on 3/23/2014I went on a Sunday and it was quiet and relaxing. The service was excellent and the food ("Ham & Egg Pizza" for one of us and "Spaghetti Lola" were superb. The Godfather and the Bellini cocktails were delicious, too.Special Features:
- Great FoodLovetoeatDined on 3/22/2014The pasta dishes are nothing short of amazing! The food is fresh and everything we ate tasted perfect. We ordered the bread sticks with garlic butter- to die for (I love anything bread). We also ordered the Spaghetti Lola- equally delicious. Lastly, we ordered another pasta dish (can't remember the name, but it had brisket in it) and it was also fantastic. Would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2014Great food, great service. Linguini w/shrimp was excellent. The lasagna portion is HUGE, I'd split it with someone next time. Ravioli, a favorite. Valet. Outdoor tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How to ruin a mealMyfavrestDined on 3/15/2014went there with my son and his wife and we were seated. Waiter (5 months exp at Coppa's) came and I asked for wine list. To pick a wine to complement the food requires a little time to see what everyone will order and to see if 1 bottle will suffice or if 2 different bottles are needed. The waiter came over every 30 seconds to see if I had decided. He was pesky. He had little knowledge of the wines and I had to spell the name of the wine I wanted (meursault). It took them almost ten minutes to bring it as u could see they had no idea of where it was. A white wine should be chilled and they left it on the table instead of in an ice bucket. That's the negative. The waiter needs some training. The food was good and well preparedSpecial Features:
- Awesome servicea and as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/13/2014Awesome servicea and as always the food was FANTASTIC!!! Great wine list!Special Features:
- Best Italian place in houstonDilonDined on 3/12/2014Love this place. Staff is very knowledgeable. Wine lustband menu are all great. A nice large yet cozy space. On a busy kith is can be quite packed and loud. But nonetheless it's still quite romantic. Very reasonably priced as well for such good food. Definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- Just ExcellentManLovesFoodVIPDined on 3/12/2014We're a little embarrassed that it's taken us this long to get to Coppa. After two visits in the last month, we're rating this one of the very best Italian restaurants in Houston. Coppa reminds us of the real-deal Italian places we grew up with up north, where there was a good Italian restaurant within walking distance - but updated and clarified, amplified, stretched and simply better. Clean, bright flavors, excellent service, cut-rate wine prices typical of Charles Clark's places - what's not to like? But we don't like it, we LOVE it, and that's because the food itself is just amazing. Best dishes so far: the charcuterie platter, the pappardelle (OMG!) and the meatballs - my wife could live on them. Go. Eat. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good Italian, notUKfoodyDined on 3/12/2014Food was good Italian, not overwhelming but tasty. Service was ok. Waiter friendly but we felt a bit rushed to eat, pay and go. Lots of staff. Good range of prices on food and wine. Need to go when hungry, this is a proper restaurant, no point going just for a small salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A W F U L :-pPalate123Dined on 3/8/2014We had reservations. Hostess sits us at a table we said was unacceptable and though a dozen or so tables were vacant, said that was the only table she could seat us. It was my guest's birthday, so I didn't make a big fuss about it, although hostesses at most savvy restaurants would at least make an attempt to check on alternate seating. So, we had to endure the waitstaff continuously passing and bumping into us moving to and from their kitchen area. Then the food was truly mediocre and that's being kind and generous! Winner of The Worst Tiramisu Ever award! Never Again ...
- Really great Italian DiningJWCountsDined on 3/8/2014My wife and I stopped in for dinner on my birthday and had a wonderful time. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive, the food was delicious and the ambiance was just right. The pig fritters were great (be sure to get some of the mustard on there), the veal was cooked to perfection and my wife's carbonara was light but rich. They even had gluten-free options, which meant that my wife doesn't have to give up Italian food altogether! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for wine, appetizers, pizzaernst4uVIPDined on 3/8/2014We found a couple of very good deals on the wine list, and had top quality appetizers. Our waiter was friendly and attentive, but did not hover. The entrees were good, but should be better for the price, however, pizza is a step up from the entrees that our table ordered and won't disappoint. Dessert works well, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwaysMauriceDined on 3/6/2014Every time we go to Coppa we thoroughly enjoy. This time was our anniversary & once again they didn't disappoint. My wife is a very picky eater & she never has any complaints. Good job Coppa. We'll see you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014Outstanding, from the food to the wine, absolutely wonderful night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinerSingleTravelerVIPDined on 2/28/2014Small plates and appetizers were excellent - had the anchovies in citrus vinaigrette and Italian sausage with polenta pudding. Both were absolutely delicious. Main courses were less stellar. I had the Carbonara - expensive for what you get - and I've had much better. My wife had the lasagna. It tasted OK, but was very mushy - could not differentiate texture between the noodles and the cheese. Service was very good – but what is it with the lighting? It was so dark inside I could barely read the wine list or the menu. Will go back again.
- Both appetizers we had ( theEllisDined on 2/28/2014Both appetizers we had ( the octopus carpaccio and the eggplant crostini) were average, at best, and the carpaccio was grossly overpriced. Both entrees were tasty, but, again, overpriced, especially given the very small servings.Special Features:
- consistently goodMarcosGolfistaDined on 2/24/2014consistently good food, good service, and an excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightkbrillVIPDined on 2/22/2014Went on a double date. Dinner went great. The service was good. My only complaint was no one asked if we wanted another bottle to drink. The food was good, but I have had better when I have been before. Definitely give this place a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will have to give it a second tryRic29Dined on 2/22/2014The Fritto Misto, at $15 was very light on Shrimp (only 3) and calamari (4 or 5 pieces). The rest was varied vegetables, and the batter was too greasy. Had the veal chop ($32). The meat was on the fatty side and rather tasteless but tender. I did not care for the mushroom sauce or the cheesy pasta that accompanies the dish. Would much rather have a more traditional veal chop, in a parmesan style, accompanied by pasta with red sauce. My dinning partner had the Bigoli ($28). This dish was prepared authentically, a flavorful and slightly spicy red sauce, the pasta was a perfect al dente, and the lobster and shell fish cooked to perfection. Very nice wine selection. Had a bottle of La Fortuna Brunello. Great price point, faboulus wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reversal of FortunesNRayDined on 2/22/2014What a disappointment Coppas was this visit. The service was good but the noise level is so high that you can barely hear your server talk. The food was mediocre especially compared to past visits. The lasgana was too heavy on the meat flavor and lacking on the cheese or tomatoe sauce and it was dry. The bread was tasteless and the olive oil/spices on the saucer was nearly all olive oil, practically no ground spices. The menu has ceased to be exciting. The dessert menu is appalling with nothing but bland cakes; no fruit pies or puddings; no bread pudding with bourbon sauce. The house Merlot was very tasteless. Our group will not go back as long as it remains so uninspired.
- Great place!review23Dined on 2/21/2014We went on a Friday night and sat on the patio. The restaurant was busy but overall not too noisy. The patio was nice and had a seating area where some kids were playing. Our server was knowledgeable about the food, ingredients and preparations. We had a great time and will certainly visit again.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantFrequentdinerVIPDined on 2/16/2014We are so lucky that we can walk to Coppa. The carbonara, the brick chicken, the appetizers, the wine, all good. Not stuck up, just excellent food for romance or guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencediner2411Dined on 2/14/2014Great atmosphere and food. Wait staff was helpful and attentive.Special Features:
- It's about the food!2eatornot2eatVIPDined on 2/14/2014I was pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. I had heard from people that it was good but no specifics and everything we had except for dessert was exemplary and closer to any authentic Italian food I've had in Houston. I was worried it would be too noisy as the space had been in previous incarnations but even though we sat in the middle of the dining room we were able to have a conversation without straining to hear each other. The house made pasta is excellent as was the veal chop and the salads are perfectly dressed. The hazelnut brownie we had was a bit dry and uninspired but the gelato helped make it palatable. Over all, the menu is a bit pricy but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coppa DeliveredTriptexVIPDined on 2/14/2014Went to Coppa on Valentine's Day for dinner. I was concerned that my reservation would not be honored on a timely basis. The restaurant was very prepared for a busy night. I was seated promptly upon arrival and the service was impeccable. Hats off to management for being so well organized.Special Features:
- Great food!DarkseidDined on 2/14/2014Best pork chop I've ever had. One of the best meat dishes I've ever had. The chop was on par with any steak in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting take on Italian fareJackofHeartsDined on 2/14/2014We celebrated a lovely Valentine's Day dinner at Coppa based on the recommendation of our daughter and son-in-law. The kale salad was great, fascinating combination. The pasta dish that I had with beef brisket was awesome. Nice wine choices. Desserts a tad disappointing. Vibrant scene on the Washington corridor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/11/2014Our server was very professional and the food was great.Special Features:
- My wife and I love to comeKenfooDined on 2/8/2014My wife and I love to come here. Reservations are easy, food is wonderful and the wait staff is very knowledgable about wine and dishes served even mentioning history of the dishes. If I had a complaint it would be that it was too dark to read the menu this time. First time no problem. This is our special place now we love it.Special Features:
- Disappointed after a long waitChrisCDined on 2/8/2014We had wanted to try and go to Coppa since changing from Catalan as we loved it, but for some reason every time we have tried things have not worked out. We had a 6:45 reservation and were able to sit right away. However upon sitting, no one came by. It took 10 minutes and for me to stop someone to get service. It was not that busy and it kind of set the mood. We enjoyed the wine list, heavy Italian, but we ordered a Super Tuscan we have had before. We ordered a salad and an entree (gnocchi) to share for starters. Both were average but that is all I can give them. The main entrees, quail and pork chop, where similar in blandness. Overall the food was average, we left and had dessert elsewhere.
- Fit for Italian loverskoel106Dined on 2/8/2014Good selection of food, wines, mixed drinks and ambiance. Pizzas are nice thin and crusty. Pasta was fine. One dish came with way too much salt. Complained, they corrected it within 5 minutes . Our waiter was a pain. Acted like he knew it all,talked too much, did not get to the point and discussed his duties at other tables with us(why?).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Italian FoodaandsmendozaDined on 2/5/2014Loved the linguine with shrimp! Cocktails were great. Dessert was ok (hazelnut chocolate cake). Wait staff need to learn some manners. As I was standing at the bar, several waiters bumped into me or stood right in front of me in my personal space!Special Features:
- Carbonara? Yes, please!duckhookVIPDined on 2/3/2014We love Coppa. Start with the Burrata, finish with the Semifreddo, and fill in the middle with an affordable bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good. Veal chopdougDined on 2/1/2014Food was very good. Veal chop outstanding. Chocolate tort and coffee very good. Service was just right. The restaurant is very loud so hard to have a personal conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, ambience poorstatonDined on 1/31/2014My husband and I came here for date night. Whilst the restaurant tries to be somewhat upmarket (certainly reflected in the prices), the execution is very poor. Casually dressed wait staff at the door, indie style music playing (super strange) and an abundance of staff at the edge of the room next to the open kitchen making people feel uncomfortable. In spite of the this, the food was quite good. We started with a selection of cocktails which were both very enjoyable. The spicy fennel sausage, pappardelle and spaghetti lola were all very enjoyable. Again the service was poorly executed as our meals were brought out by different wait staff and we were never asked beforehand if we would like a glass of wine. So we had to ask. Room to improve.