481 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cooperstavern.com/
- Phone: 2122688460
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Julian Clauss-Ehlers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cooper's Tavern
In a warm and inviting atmosphere, Cooper’s Tavern offers a fresh, modern approach to American cuisine. Chef Julian Clauss-Ehlers brings refined comfort to the table with a menu that includes Bershire pork chops, Black Angus steaks, fish & chips, falafel-crusted salmon and a signature “Skyscraper Burger” made with the famed LaFrieda beef.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cooper's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (28)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (8)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good food, lame ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Good was great but the cafeteria decor was hard to takeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the wait staff is very attentive.0077Dined on 8/26/2014The food came quickly and are tasteful. It was also a lot of food that we could not finish it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindINGerDined on 8/14/2014Recommended by a colleague, this restaurant offers a fine dinner menu and wine list. The noise level is just right. Service is good and food was excellent. Great for a nice quiet meal with a friend before the commute home from Penn Station. Waitress did have a little trouble understanding our English when we asked what white wines did they have. She responded, Red or White! lolSpecial Features:
- MsgOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014Good for before Madison square garden! Food and service were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find….OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Delicious food, fast and friendly service (we had concert tix at the Garden) - a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our appetizers and entrees. The portions were generous. The service was excellent as well with a friendly wait staff. We were pleasantly surprised at our reasonable tab knowing what NYC prices usually are...Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- All around very good.goodcook7Dined on 8/4/2014Service was attentive and prompt. Appears to be enough choices on the menu to satisy whether you want meat, vegetarian, fish, pasta or pizza. Our two steaks were cooked as requested. The cheesecake for desert was very good. Overall I recommend Coopers Tavern will eat there again. As I have mentioned in other reviews - I feel that Servers shouldn't ask if you will be needing change, just take the payment and return with the change.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014Had great service with John he was funny and made dinning there relaxing before a show at MSG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quick, but great lunchNJgalDined on 7/25/2014This is definitely the place to go if your lunch hour is a short one and you'd like to enjoy it in a nice atmosphere. We ordered from the prix fixe lunch menu which had decent choices of appetizers and entres. Bread and a delicious pureed white bean dip with flavored oil started the meal. Though the portobello mushroom soup (appetizer) had an unusual color to it (very dark with almost a green tint to it), it was flavorable. The chicken and bacon risotto had chunks of both and though it was good, I had wished it was creamier. The wait staff was very friendly and efficient. It was a quick lunch, but a very good one.Special Features:
- A favorite spot.RogerDined on 7/11/2014Friendly service, solid food. Great value near MSG. Unfortunately, closing soon for renovations....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyableMarymackDined on 7/8/2014This was our first time at Cooper's Tavern - food was delicious and waiter was friendly and gave us his full attention - we didn't feel rushed and will definitely return when in the City againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcrosstheHudsonDined on 7/5/2014Cooper's Tavern was a great place to spend the afternoon watching the World Cup (even the wait staff was cheering along with us). We then met with a group of friends, and enjoyed a delicious dinner in the back away from the bar, where we enjoyed attentive staff, and excellent food. We were never rushed, and by the time we left in the late evening, we felt like part of the family. The prices were incredibly reasonable for midtown, and I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Nice menu selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Perfect for a quick, decent bite in the area with visiting friends at reasonable price. However, look out for the tourist check as the tip for dinner was already added in the final total of the bill. Other than this little watch-out section at the end, our meal was overall a pleasant one. Nice variety on the menu, not overly crowded, and good grill dishes and generous crab cake.Special Features:
- Perfect spot for our needsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2014Had a mini HS reunion. Wait staff was attentive but allowed us plenty of time to chat. We had a great time there.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindcarfreeDined on 6/18/2014My husband and I went to Cooper's Tavern on the recommendation of a friend who ate lunch there, but never dinner. We had to come into Penn Station and the location was perfect for a before theatre dinner. We first shared the Goat Cheese And Arugula Salad which was incredible! When our friend joined us we each had the Aniseed Crusted Salmon Fillet which was excellent as was the presentation of both the salad and entree. Three delicious decaf cappuccinos and we all felt we had experienced the perfect dinner. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff friendly and professional. The service was absolutely excellent. As former New Yorkers we can honestly say the next time we visit NY, Cooper's Tavern will be on our dining list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMary61114Dined on 6/11/2014We were in town for the MDM show and myself and five other co-workers dined at Cooper's Tavern. We couldn't have been more pleased. The steak melted in your mouth - the entire meal was excellent. The waitress was right on top of filling our drinks and all the food was brought at a timely manner - even though the place was packed full. We are very happy the our hotel had recommended that we dine at Coopers Tavern.Special Features:
- Great place for people- watchinglegalbarnDined on 6/10/2014met a friend for dinner. We had not seen each other in a while so this was a great place to catch up over a very good meal. We ate at a table alongside the windows in front of the restaurant and watch the world go by. Very good dinner good wine and a great place for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location - Good Food!HarriVIPDined on 6/4/2014Close to Penn Station, Madison Square Garden and Macy 's and not far from Port Authority and Times Square. Food and service is good. Try it, you'll like likely enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerLuv2eatnyDined on 6/3/2014It's a pricey diner. The place is dark. The menus we're beat up. It smelled like Chinese food inside. Food lacked seasoning. I met my boss there for a work meeting because it's close to Penn Ststion and I was sort of embarrassed that I chose such a dive. I won't be going back.
- Bad bad badYohannaBVIPDined on 5/31/2014This place looks beautiful the decoration, the location everything looks nice HOWEVER the food is bad!! First of all the only reason I adventured to even try it was for the "ecuadorian food" advertising but this is NOT ecuadorian food! Whatever it is still awful , tasteless, crazy expensive and microscopic portions. $14 appetizer for 4 pea size crockets. Then the waiters don't even let u finish the tiny size appetizer and they are pulling the plate away. We left so fast to a restaurant a block away were the food was soo yummy!Special Features:
- Good foodDenisVIPDined on 5/27/2014Went to the Cooper's tavern after my graduation in MSG. The ambience overall was not bad. Service was good. But the food was absolutely great!!! Even though the restaurant was advertised as American, it serves Italian cuisine. I'm not a big fan of Italian food, but this restaurant made it delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but drab decorFaceamVIPDined on 5/27/2014Was expecting more of a tavern vs. a bland restaurant. The service was attentive and the food was good, but the ambiance was not great. I think it's connected to a tired old penn station area hotel, which would explain it. If going to MSG, good for a quick bite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressiveReviewerDined on 5/19/2014How can you mess up a Chicken Caesar Salad? They did. The chicken was presented very nicely, on a sizziling on a side plate. Unfortunately, looks are deceiving. It was overcooked and tasteless. I sent it back and the second serving was cooked properly but was still tasteless. The restaurant is two blocks from Penn Station and was empty at 7:00 PM. That should tell you something.
- Bad ExperiencealphahotelDined on 5/18/2014I was totally disappointed and unimpressed. Restaurant was empty at dinner time on a Saturday. Outside was a perfect 60 degree Spring day but inside the restaurant the temperature was at least 80 degrees. We were seated, given menus and ice water. Menu was disappointing given the high reviews. My guests started hinting at finding another place so, to my embarrassment I left a $10 tip and apologized to the Host saying that it was just too hot to enjoy even sitting there to which his response was pretty rude. Might have been an off day for the place but, first impressions are everything and needless to say, I will not consider going back.
- BarbDined on 5/13/2014What a wonderful find! I had a delicious lunch with friends that was nicely priced. We celebrated my friends birthday and the staff brought a candle lit piece of delicious chocolate cake and they sang with us. The staff was very nice. I will be sure to return to Coopers Tavern when I am again in the area.Special Features:
- Dinner Before Going to the GardenFoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014Always looking for a place to eat before going to the garden. Finally found our 'go-to' place. Nice place very good food, but my fish was not as fresh as it could have been. Other than that, it is a nice place to eat. My wife loved her crab cake and it was all crab and very tasty. Recommended.Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 5/7/2014Good spot before or after an event at MSG. In and out in under an hour. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 386 reviews are from the Cooper's Tavern reviews archive.
- Convenient LocationGramercyAreaVIPDined on 4/30/2014Was meeting a friend from uptown and I was coming from the East Side, so this was a convenient location in which to meet. Don't expect much more than a dinner experience.
- exceeded expectationsSanctionmanDined on 4/19/2014A few blocks from Times Square. There were 9 of us from CT and NH, I took credit for finding Cooper's Tavern on OpenTable. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Great place for lunch.Special Features:
- Convenient to Penn StationLindaDined on 4/12/2014I'm a regular at Coopers, the food is good, but mainly it's due to the close proximity to Penn Station. Our group of four made our meal from the apps, the Gorgonzola fondue is EXCELLENT, and I highly recommend. The service is slow and we had to ask for someone on a regular basis. I'd still go back, you can't go wrong...unless you're in a hurry!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014The neighborhood is notoriously bad for food and this place completely surprised me. The staff was nice and accommodating and the food was great. Everyone was happy with their meals. We work in the neighborhood and will recommend it to friends. Nice place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and interestingFoodFan18VIPDined on 4/9/2014Good food and interesting presentation of dishes. Great spot for pre-theater lunch. Very accommodating service. Definitely will return when I go to NYC again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceGracieDined on 4/8/2014I have been there twice. The service was outstanding. The waiter was attentive without being hovering. It was very comfortable. My friend and I sat for hours talking and we never felt rushed. Very comfortable place. The food is good- old fashioned Italian- what could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knicks GameCJIKONEDined on 4/2/2014Great for a great meal before or after a MSG eventI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and at a great price!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2014We got there late but that was not a problem. They make sure we made it to the Knicks/Nets game, the restaurant is a stone throw to the stadium. For my four fussy kids, they ate everythilng. Soup, pizza, fish, steak something for everyone. I had a tasty salad with panseared halibut which was from a prefix menu, great price plus delicious!! Will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooper's Tavern is in a greatPSJCDined on 3/28/2014Cooper's Tavern is in a great location and has very reasonable prices considering the area that it is located. The food and service at this restaurant was average. This restaurant isn't a destination in itself, however, if you're in the area for an event, it would be a good place to have lunch or dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Friendlycoastergirl0928Dined on 3/28/2014Nice family-owned restaurant! Excellent food and service with a smile. Prices extremely good for Manhattan! A little gem and easy walk from both NY Penn station and the Hammerstein Ballroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect!freeportlisagVIPDined on 3/26/2014This is a great location and venue for business meeting. Close to Penn, without the hassle of tourist mobs. Service was very attentive and professional with some nice unexpected touches. Our party was in for a late lunch of salads and sandwiches, though we were treated well and not rushed. Nice find!
- Great for Pre Knick/RangerCJIKONEDined on 3/24/2014Great for Pre Knick/Ranger Dinner. Filet Mignon was terrific.I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisednoraboraDined on 3/21/2014Was suprised . Food was great! For a tourist area. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.