Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Wheeling
583 N Milwaukee Ave
Wheeling, IL 60090Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Wheeling
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chwinery.com/
- Phone: 8472151200x
- Hours of Operation:
Full menu available for lunch and dinner
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt McMillin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full catering and carryout menu available for pick up at the restaurant. For menus, visit www.chwinery.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Cooper’s Hawk specializes in seamless events embodying the warmth and elegance of the wine world. Our Private Party Room and Winery Room offer unique settings for your social and corporate gatherings along with first-class event packages to help choose the perfect menu. We will also happily customize any event package to meet your individual needs.
- Private Party Contact: Events Department 8472151200x4
A word from Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Wheeling
Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant combines modern, casual dining with award-winning, handcrafted wines. Our menu features fresh contemporary-American fare infused with flavors from around the world. From appetizers to desserts, each dish on our menu is listed with a bin number to help guide you to your selection’s perfect wine match. In addition to dining, Cooper’s Hawk offers a full-service bar, private party spaces, and Napa-style tasting room with specialty gift store, where guests can enjoy sipping and sampling wines in a traditional winery setting. Sourcing the highest quality grapes from the best vineyards around the world has earned Cooper’s Hawk a growing list of more than 200 wine awards. Most recently, Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants was selected as “Hot Concept 2010” winner by Nation's Restaurant News and MenuMasters winner for the category of “Menu Trendsetter” in 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Wheeling - Best Restaurants in Wheeling ›
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Wheeling reviews from OpenTable diners
344 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
notable wine list (229)special occasion (174)good for groups (160)fit for foodies (124)great for lunch (101)neighborhood gem (91)romantic (75)hot spot (70)great for outdoor dining (66)vibrant bar scene (43)great for brunch (28)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (6)Show More
- Will definitely go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I was told that if you like wine and red meat, you will love this place. I completely agree with that! I loved the red wine and the red wine braised short ribs. Everyone in my group of 9 enjoyed their meals. The hostess was slow getting us to our reserved table - took about 15 minutes - what is the point of a reservation then? BUT the wait staff was perfect and the food was even better.Special Features:
- Food and wine are goodTravelQueenVIPDined on 10/20/2014The food and wine here is average to good. The service can be spotty. At times it was too rushed and then at times it was too slow. If you like food on the bland side then you will love the scallops and jasmine rice. They do a great job pairing their wine with the food on the menu.Special Features:
- Disappointed this timeJayMoDined on 10/19/2014We dine here reasonably often, and the food is generally pretty good. However, we were really disappointed with the service this time. The waiter was gone for long periods of time, so there were big gaps between courses. He didn't check back to see how things were. He forgot items and we had to flag down an assistant manager to get things corrected. We'll go back, but if the experience does not improve, it will likely be a long time before we'll consider returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We joined friends for dinner at Cooper's Hawk's Wheeling restaurant. It was a busy Sunday evening there, bit our waiter was terrific. He let us set our own pace--time to chat with our friends. We were not rushed yet the food arrived hot & good when we were ready. This not a foodie restaurant, but the food is interesting and special enough for an evning out. Their wait staff is always great--personable and informed. I have always enjoyed dinners there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNorthbrook50ersDined on 10/18/2014We chose Coopers Hawk as the venue for 4 of us to celebrate milestone birthdays. The waiter was very friendly but the meal was totally disorganized and service very slow. We eventually got our initial drinks order 45 mins after sitting down, after our appetizers had been served. I asked when making the reservation if a candle or something special could come with dessert for the birthday girls & boy and was told yes. I mentioned it again when we arrived but desserts came and nothing special happened! I wouldn't mind for a regular birthday but this was for 50th celebrations. After we had finished our meal I did mention it to the staff and they brought chocolates for 3 of the 4 celebrators and one had a piece on onion on it. Not very tasty!
- Great wine and food!FoodieJonDined on 10/17/2014Wife and I have never had a bad Meal or a bad bottle of wine here. We love this place. They are so accommodating to special dietary needs and special occasions, too! We are also members of the wine club and are here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even the wine disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014Slow service, low quality food and pedestrian wine not a good evening. It was a birthday dinner and even though my wife informed them in advance there was no acknowledgement of it. We will NOT return.
- Fun, energetic, and great Food!DaniDined on 10/16/2014I was fortunate to come across this place through a lunch meeting. Two days later I brought my husband back for dinner because I enjoyed my experience so much. This is such a fun and unique dining experience. Our service was spot on, he made great recommendations and was very attentive. We ordered a bottle of wine and they brought out an aerator/tap thing to serve ourselves which was unique and nice. The food was very good-- my husband loved his burger and I loved the pesto ceasar salad (so simple, but sooo good). We also had the pot stickers as an app and they were on point. We will definitely be back, because we didn't save room for dessert and I've heard they have a great selection.Special Features:
- Wine galore!skogsraDined on 10/16/2014Cooper's hawk is always a place to celebrate! Make sure u have reservations, although you can always enjoy the wine tastings while waiting! Wines galore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, flavorful food.Burgers1Dined on 10/15/2014Cooper's Hawk is a solid, down-the-middle dining experience. Service was efficient and friendly. The restaurant's main dining area is a large, open, airy space with pleasant, innocuous décor. Unfortunately, when it's full, it's very loud - difficult to have conversations at normal volume. The food, while not particularly adventuresome, was uniformly fresh and flavorful. I would recommend them for a nice, leisurely lunch or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this location finally impressed me!Muffin34VIPDined on 10/15/2014This tends not to be my favorite location since the staff is normally very short and very rude. However, I finally had a great waiter, Earl, that made me think I was at either Arlington heights or south Barrington. He took the time to talk to us, discuss the special of the day, tried to up sell an event being held there next week (until he found out that it was sold out already) and really made us feel welcome. From now on I will ask for his section just to replicate the experience again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A different dining experienceJerryLVIPDined on 10/14/2014A nice alternative to normal restaurants, this is a wine centric approachSpecial Features:
- CHJackVIPDined on 10/13/2014Nice evening with out daughter. We all had seafood and all done properly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe just bad luck this time?localoneDined on 10/12/2014This has been the local upscale dining spot for my wife and myself since Cooper's Hawk opened. We have both loved the unusual menu twists, the excellent service and the great wine selections. Unfortunately it all fell apart on the evening of Oct 12. Firstly, it seems exceedingly noisy, worse than sports bars we've been in. Close by there were two tables of eight each and everyone seemed determined to talk over everyone else. My surf and turf (pistachio grouper and parmesan filet medallions) was excellent, but my wife's cannelloni had undercooked scallops. The sauce was great as was the chicken chorizo in it. The shrimp was slightly undercooked, but the scallops killed dinner. To his credit the manager comped my wife's dinner eventhough we didn't ask for it, but I'd much rather pay for a good dinner than have a free, bad dinner. Our waiter also disappeared for 20+ minutes shortly after the entrees arrived. We'll certainly return hoping we got all the bad luck out of the way in one visit. I would still recommend CH based on all of our previous excellent experiences there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/10/2014This is one of my favorite places, but I was disappointed this time by the fact that we had to wait 45 minutes for a table when we had a reservation. The people who were sat after us also were initially served after us. Not their best service night, which was disappointing because I was there for a special occasion. However, I've been there countless times and consider that atypical. The wine, food and ambience bring me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveDined on 10/9/2014very disappointed with the way they handle reservations. We were there on a Thursday night with a 6:45 reservation. We were told upon checking in that there would be a short wait because they were cleaning some tables. 31 minutes later we were seated. Another party with also a 6:45 reservation complained and they were given a free round of drinks. They offered us nothing but an apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableAnnaKDined on 10/9/2014We always enjoy Cooper's Hawk. The service is attentive and the food is always good. The wine pairings are spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returning guestCeeDawgDined on 10/8/2014Will return, but sticking with the short ribs, so it will be awhile before I return.Special Features:
- ekim0422Dined on 10/8/2014The only complaints I had were the wait (arrived about 30 minutes early before our reservation time, wasn't seated until about an hour after that) and one of the dishes I had came out a little saltier than I had expected, but still edible. It was a Wednesday night so I thought it might be a slower night to visit this restaurant but it appeared there were a couple events going on that evening. Wasn't the best visit, but having been here before I can write this off as an anomaly.Special Features:
- Better restaurants in the areaTraveler1219Dined on 10/8/2014The restaurant was noisy and it ruined the ambiance that the restaurant tried to create. Made reservations two days in advance and had to wait 20 minutes after our reservation to be seated. I got the surf and turf with crab cakes and filet medallions. The dish taste was average and the portion size was tiny. My wife got the special of the night which was a pork chop with mashed sweet potatoes. She said the taste of the dish was very bland and the sweet potatoes had no flavor at all. For desert, we had creme brûlée and typically the filling has a spongy like texture but this one was more of a pudding texture.Special Features:
- Business Lunch CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014This is a popular lunch spot for people working in the area. Perhaps recommended more for "celebratory" occasions rather than "every-day" lunches. The noise level is high, which is especially problematic when in a larger group (greater than 4). The service was very good. However this is not the place for a quick lunch. Once our orders were placed, we waited almost 1 hour for the food to arrive. This was a drawback.Special Features:
- Good Food, Service was Great butMikeVIPDined on 10/4/2014Extremely Noise. I twas difficult to have a conversation without yelling to the person next to you. If you are a wine nut this is your place. The food and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Our server Michael was incredible! He attended to our every need since one of our children that was dining with us has a severe fish and nut allergy. Kudos to you Michael! You are truly a gem and an asset to Coopers Hawk.Special Features:
- KennyDined on 10/3/2014I thought the restaurant was a little too noisy. Service was adequate ,not the best. I had a reservation for 7:15 did not get seated til 7:30 why make the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food-not good serviceMizKrewerDined on 10/2/2014We are wine club members and dine at Coopers often. However, we've always had issues with the service at this location. They never ask for our card, if we want would like a glass of wine, etc. Its the bland usual "Can I get ya somethin' to drink?" A little impersonal for what we usual get at Coopers. I had to ask three times for a glass of water, they forgot the dressing to my salad and I ate it without as our server disappeared. I still love Coopers Hawk and will continue to go. I just might avoid this location though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Great wait staff. Very attentive. Food was very goodSpecial Features:
- Amazing WinesChaeDined on 9/27/2014Their wines were awesome, especially if you stick with the chef's wine pairings! We loved it, despite the noise level and will go there again.Special Features:
- Excellent Place to eatGriffDined on 9/26/2014We have made our stop at Coopers Hawk a monthly outing for over 2 years. We enjoy the people, the service, the wine, and the food. We are proud to say we have introduced many of our friends there and have watched 8 of our friends take out wine memberships. Keep up the good work Josette and John Michael Gurnee, IllSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJtbusDined on 9/26/2014This was our first visit and we went to celebrate our anniversary. We were asked by our server if this was our first visit and we said yes. A short time later, a manager came out to greet us and thank us for coming. After placing drink orders, our server brought us complimentary champagne! Very knowledgeable about their extensive wine list and food. Everything was fantastic. Service was outstanding. They were even very accomdating to gluten free. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine and wine!GGDinerDined on 9/24/2014Great wine list, great variety of dishes and appetizers to choose from. Nice touch to be greeted by a wine taste upon arrival. Can't go wrong with going to Coopers Hawk to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for casual business lunchMyrzDined on 9/24/2014High points: service was above average, attentive, took care of special requests including water/soft drinks with no ice and substitutions with the entrees. Other: Lunch entrees were generally OK but not great. Dinner prices are significantly higher, and for larger portions of these same dishes would not be a good value. Low points; Two of my guests ordered the Caesar salad and commented that is was below expectation - heaps of lettuce soaked in dressing with cheese sprinkled on top. That was it. We chose Coopers Hawk for the convenience to our offices. For a quick and convenient business lunch for a group, this place works. I would not choose it for social dining.Special Features:
- Always solidlmickeyDined on 9/20/2014We've dined here many times. The food is good and usually the service is excellent. Love the tuna appetizer and the key lime pie. Entrees are interesting and tasty.Special Features:
- Great wine, good foodNewFanDined on 9/19/2014We went on a Saturday night, and it is definitely a popular place to be. Bread was fantastic. Wine was great. I also loved that they have Bin #'s to match wines to entrees. My Caesar salad originally came with no dressing, but our waiter immediately came with some on the side after I mentioned it. Otherwise, the food was good. Noise level was a little loud, but as mentioned before, it was busy on a Saturday. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceJoeMDined on 9/18/2014Outstanding on every level. A must for all to try!Special Features:
- Good wine selectionRockchick61Dined on 9/15/2014CH has a good wine selection. Of note is the sparkling wine flight which has a variety of different sparkling wines including almond. Pair it with the cheese sampler and it's a perfect starter for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneTheGreekFoodCriticDined on 9/14/2014If you have a family member who dines at their usual spots, this is a good place to get someone like that to try something new. There's literally a little of everything to choose from - even for those 'meat and potato' folks who dine within their boundaries. We also had a differing age group. From 50 to 89, each of us was able to find something on the menu that appealed to us and the service was wonderful. Definitely had been there before - this time on a Sunday - same great food and wine. Same Great service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyLoriVIPDined on 9/13/2014They sat us in a room with a party! It was really loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK This TimeRicaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Usually I am VERY impressed but this time, not so much. I had a 8:15 reservation for two. We were called at 8:50 to be seated, but by that time we had already found a table in the bar area. I went for the lobster bisque which is usually really good but, after tasting my husband's lobster bisque, I decided to pass. Not the consistency I'd had in the past and nor was the taste the same. Maybe they stretch it towards the end of the evening. I think I will go during the week instead. My appetizer was good, his entre was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You guys are awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Everything is always perfect, the service, the food, the wine, everything. I always recommend you guys to everyone I know. Job well done as always, thank you for keeping up the great work! You guys rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RogerDined on 9/11/2014Entertained clients. We had a good time and the food and service was excellent. Server recommendations for both wine and appetizers were spot on. Nobody left dissappointed. Great spot. I'll return. I changed my reservation time and went from 4 to 7 people. The restaurant was very accomodating.Special Features: