Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville
2120 Southlake Mall
Merrillville, IL 46410Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chwinery.com/
- Phone: 2197959463x
- Hours of Operation:
Full menu available for lunch and dinner
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt McMillin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full catering and carryout menu available for pick up at the restaurant. For menus, visit www.chwinery.com.
- Private Party Contact: Events Department 2197959463x4
A word from Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville
Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant combines modern, casual dining with award-winning, handcrafted wines. Our menu features fresh contemporary-American fare infused with flavors from around the world. From appetizers to desserts, each dish on our menu is listed with a bin number to help guide you to your selection’s perfect wine match. In addition to dining, Cooper’s Hawk offers a full-service bar, private party spaces, and Napa-style tasting room with specialty gift store, where guests can enjoy sipping and sampling wines in a traditional winery setting. Sourcing the highest quality grapes from the best vineyards around the world has earned Cooper’s Hawk a growing list of more than 200 wine awards. Most recently, Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants was selected as “Hot Concept 2010” winner by Nation's Restaurant News and MenuMasters winner for the category of “Menu Trendsetter” in 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville - Best Restaurants in Merrillville, IN ›
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (114)special occasion (93)romantic (63)great for lunch (60)good for groups (59)fit for foodies (57)hot spot (32)neighborhood gem (25)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (21)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (13)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Our 30th Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014My husband and I had a late supper on our Anniversary at this restaurant. This is our new place for dinner. Appetizers are filling and delicious. The wine is like no other that we have ever had. Can't wait to make our next reservations for a initimate dinner real soon.Special Features:
- Love the wine-tasting bar!DoubleStuffDined on 9/13/2014If you're a wine-lover, this is the place. There's a beautiful wine-tasting bar with attentive staff which has a CA Napa Valley feel. I wouldn't recommend coming on a Saturday night, however. It's difficult to get waited on in the wine-tasting bar, which was full when we were here. The food was delicious and nicely presented. The server, who was very busy, could have brought us water without us asking, and filled it when it was empty, which he didn't, but again, the place was packed. We also had to ask for silverware/napkins. For the price, I would have expected more from the service. Overall, I would recommend this classy, casual/fine dining restaurant, but would come on a weekday, where you could get the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- onthegoonthegoDined on 9/10/2014Fabulous find in Merrillville Indiana, nestled in the mall. We had great service and a variety of entrees that were fantastic. Very comfortable atmosphere for a fun time. We had a group of 6 and everyone was pleased with what they ordered.Special Features:
- great placeerlamimiDined on 9/8/2014The food and drink are outstanding. The only problem I have with this place is the sound - it's loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeAwesomeDined on 9/5/2014Great food great wine great time every time we are there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cathyfoodie1Dined on 9/5/2014excellent food, from appetizers thru dinner with many great wine pairings to choose from. Love that you can "taste" the wine before committing to a glass or bottle, and try several options to ensure you get what you really enjoy. Our server was great - attentive without being pestySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestFoodieDined on 9/4/2014My reviews are always the same: great food, great ambiance, great service. My significant other had a birthday, so I took her to the place where we had our first date. Coopers Hawk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant evening!nodoggybagsDined on 9/4/2014My hubby and I went here to celebrate our 30th anniversary, albeit a month late due to my sons wedding which was scheduled 2 days before our anniversary. I made a reservation here at open table, so when we arrived they took us back for seating right away. They initially sat us out in the open dining area. Not exactly a location for an intimate meal. I asked immediately to be seating somewhere more intimate, and they obliged. So, we had the privacy we wanted. We ordered the drunken shrimp appetizer, and it was very, very good. The meals were also very good. I had the pistachio encrusted grouper, my hubby had the parmesan steak medallions. Everything was cooked to our liking. As an added plus, the waitress brought us a small plate of sweets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well roundedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014We went with two for a birthday dinner. Great service, very helpful providing plenty wine tastings before actually deciding. The food was fantastic and the service was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretMrjdVIPDined on 9/2/2014This was a pleasant surprise for such a spectacular lunch at this establishment. It is Indiana's best kept secret. We are wine lovers and foodies and I must say we are still talking about our experience to others. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Don't usually write reviews but this resturant was so good nobody in our party of 5 very picky people had any complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceexcellentfoods2014Dined on 8/30/2014My family and I appreciated the ability to sample 2 wines each before we purchased glasses of wine. This is a real draw for me and my adult children who are beginning to taste different types of wine and liquor. The food was excellent. We all liked our meals. The only drawback is that it is on the expensive side. So we would use it as a special occassion restaurant.Special Features:
- Love this place!GirlsnightoutDined on 8/29/2014Great service, great selection of wine and cocktails, never has bad food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLovieDovie1Dined on 8/28/2014I really enjoyed everything about dining here at Cooper's Hawk tonight. The Service, Food, and Wine was everything I excepted and more. I'm looking forward to my next "night out" at Cooper's Hawk.Special Features:
- Thank-you very much! AMAZING NIGHT!AmazingNMemorableDined on 8/27/2014We were very pleased with our very 1st visit to Cooper's Hawk in Merrillville, Indiana. The customer service level was amazing from the time we set foot in the door. Our server Rakell was OVER THE TOP PHENOMENAL!!! Jaimie (her trainee) was also amazing and extremely friendly and helpful. They both set the bar for expectations of service very high. We will be visiting Cooper's Hawk at least once a month, and will most definitely ask for Rakell or Jaimie to be our server. They delivered service with a smile and always had friendly suggestions when we asked about wine or menu items. They are truly a blessing to Cooper's Hawk and I hope that they get the great recognition that they deserve. It was truly AN AMAZING WONDERFUL NIGHT! thank-you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodFoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food and service at Cooper's Hawk is always good. My friends and I meet for a monthly dinner and always enjoy our experience. The wine itself is a definite draw.Special Features:
- Love!SuperShaffer2000VIPDined on 8/23/2014We go to dinner here once a month because we are wine club members. Just wish they would expand to a stand alone restaurant that's not attached to South Lake Mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious, we each are every bite! Additionally, our anniversary and niece's birthday were acknowledged with class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014They are known for their great wine and food. Service has always been good too!Special Features:
- Lobster BisqueBlueStarDined on 8/14/2014The Lobster Bisque is splendid, and the wine choices are plentiful. But, the professionalism and charming staff make this place sparkle.Special Features:
- Back on TrackOldDogDined on 8/14/2014They are back on track. After our last outing there, we thought it might be our last outing there. But they came though. The caprese flat bread, crab & lobster bisque, asparagus soup, soy ginger salmon and gnocchi carbonara where very good and we were very happy.Special Features:
- Delicious!Willrun4wineDined on 8/13/2014Always great food, friendly wait staff, and some of the best wines I've tasted!Special Features:
- Never disappointsItalianoDined on 8/9/2014From the many wine varieties to the fantastic food, there is always something new and tasty to discover at Coopers Hawk! Pistachio encrusted grouper is to die for as is the lobster bisque soup!Special Features:
- AwesomeGoldenBeagDined on 8/9/2014Luv this restaurant - food, wine, atmosphere and server Charlie....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfiedluv2eatDined on 8/6/2014Love the food and wine at Cooper Hawk. We had a slight problem with one of the entrées ordered, but it was quickly rectified by management. They truly care about their customers. Service was a little slow but I think out waitress was just having an off night. We have dined many times at CoopersHawk and this was our first time with issues, but that won't keep us from going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceLec225Dined on 8/4/2014Food is always very good here, regardless of what I get. Appetizers, sandwiches, meals etc..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014We love the drunken shrimp, the soup was excellent and I absolutely love the steak and vegetables!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Took my Grand Daughter there for her 11th Birthday. We both had the surf and turf, hers Crab Cakes and mine shrimp. It was excellent. Our waiter, Mike, was very informative and helpful. I really appreciated the way he interacted with her. She felt special on her special day. In all it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014I was able to convince family to celebrate my daughter's birthday with dinner at Cooper's Hawk. Made reservations for 7:15, but did not seated until 7:30PM. There were so many groups there that it was difficult to hear each other. Can't blame others for wanting to be there, too, but have been there before and I did not remember the rambunctious atmosphere.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationLucy1147Dined on 7/24/2014Recently took two of my staff to celebrate their birthdays. I've been here about 3 times already but this was their first dining experience. We were served by Valerie who was very informative and attentive. The food was awesome from the appetizer sampler to the main entrees. One notable negative was the choice and volume of music played in the restaurant area. It was very loud, making it hard to carry on a conversation. It was also "heavy rock at times" which we thought was a bit dis-tasteful for an establishment of this character. It was only when we were leaving did the tunes temper down a bit. I'm not advocating elevator music by any means however "head banging" tunes should not be on this menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food&wine: Super! Noise&price: NotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I would like to point out first that this was posibly the best steak I have ever had at a restaurant (Chimmurri). And they have a wine for about everything you can imagine here. and we started our meal with a cheese tasting - how many restaurants do that? However, I should also note that we came here for our anniversary and while it's a very nice ambiance in the restaurant, it was quite loud on a Saturday evening when we were here. And, being a practical person, I have to note that we just recently went to the Lighthouse in Cedar Lake, a favorite of ours, and the two tabs were very similar-for 3 (our son came, who ate more modestly than my wife and I) at Cooper's Hawk, and 5 adults at the L.H. Worth it? Yes. But it won't be our new regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooper's Hawk gem of a placeWine4uDined on 7/18/2014We love Cooper's Hawk! Not only do they have incredible wine but awesome food! Salvador is our favorite server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!FoodisgoodDined on 7/18/2014Second time I've been there. Amazing food, respectful staff, and a great wine list. Look forward to attending again. Thanks guys!Special Features:
- SatisfiedGirlsnightoutDined on 7/16/2014Wasabi Potatoes... A must try side! The grapefruit martini was delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In awe of the view of Cooper's HawkSporadic2dineDined on 7/12/2014I would refer any and all.... Although the prices on the meal are reasonable.... The quantity don't reflect the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooper's Hawk always a pleasurekdoconnDined on 7/12/2014We have eaten and several Cooper's Hawk in Illinois and just went to Coopers' Hawk in Merrillville, Indiana. We have never had a bad experience at any of these restaurants and ALWAYS loved the experience! I have never been to any restaurant that has so consistently met my expectations. It is by far my most favorite place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Coopers HawkMary2Dined on 7/7/2014Had dinner with my wife for our 20 years anniversary of our first date. My only complaint would be that it was loud in the dining area this time. There were kids diving onto the floor next to our table. This took away from the romantic atmosphere for us. I wish they could have put us in the other section of the restaurant but it looked closed off due to a lower head count. The food was excellent, and so was our wait staff. Overall we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutCCoyoteDined on 7/7/2014We ordered the Cooper Hawk sampler platter and stuffed mushrooms for appetizers. Both were yummy and the dipping sauces were very tasty. We all ordered different items from the menu for dinner and everyone enjoy their choices. I ordered Riesling to go with my dinner and it was light and refreshing. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not as good as usualFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014The quality of the food is usually extremely consistent and this visit was not as good as the past few times. We ordered new items and so we always have high expectations. The chicken saltimbocca was gristly and the crab cakes were not as crab-filled as we would have hoped. More filler than crab or kinda smaller than expected. We will return as it is a nice location and usually excellent.Special Features:
- disappointedjansgoneDined on 7/3/2014My friend and I will be going somewhere else in the future.Special Features: