Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville
2120 Southlake Mall
Merrillville, IN 46410Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chwinery.com/
- Phone: (219) 795-9463
- Hours of Operation:
Full menu available for lunch and dinner
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt McMillin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full catering and carryout menu available for pick up at the restaurant. For menus, visit www.chwinery.com.
- Private Party Contact: Events Department 2197959463x4
A word from Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville
Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant combines modern, casual dining with award-winning, handcrafted wines. Our menu features fresh contemporary-American fare infused with flavors from around the world. From appetizers to desserts, each dish on our menu is listed with a bin number to help guide you to your selection’s perfect wine match. In addition to dining, Cooper’s Hawk offers a full-service bar, private party spaces, and Napa-style tasting room with specialty gift store, where guests can enjoy sipping and sampling wines in a traditional winery setting. Sourcing the highest quality grapes from the best vineyards around the world has earned Cooper’s Hawk a growing list of more than 200 wine awards. Most recently, Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants was selected as “Hot Concept 2010” winner by Nation's Restaurant News and MenuMasters winner for the category of “Menu Trendsetter” in 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville - Best Restaurants in Merrillville, IN ›
Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant - Merrillville reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (122)special occasion (102)fit for foodies (68)romantic (67)good for groups (66)great for lunch (58)hot spot (42)neighborhood gem (26)kid-friendly (25)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (17)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful ExperienceHappyMAIOGraduateDined on 11/16/2014We originally made two separate online reservations to accommodate our party of 10 (a table for 6 and a table for 4, asking if they could be close). However when our party arrived the hostess opened up a special room for our party and set up a table for 10! This was our first experience at Cooper's Hawk and Jamie our hostess was great. She even wrote a message on my receipt congratulating me on my graduation. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Cooper's Hawk is a great place for fine wine and great food. We love to have an adult night out here. The food is always outstanding. We haven't found anything we don't like! The wine is also great! As a wine of the month club member we get a free bottle of wine and also receive points every time we dine there! Its a great deal and it makes for a romantic evening out! I would and have recommended this place to all of my friends and family! The wait staff is always professional and attentive. A high class establishment in Merrillville, IN. I would recommend getting reservations, especially for dinner on the weekend. It is always packed and can be hard to get in if you wait until the last minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess/reservation vert poorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014We were seated 30 minutes after reservation. Hostess staff very unfriendly! They called our name but seated two women in our seats. Hostess walked around the entire restaurant. We passed 4 uncleared tables. Then she seated us next to a large group in a very cramped area and told us "well we are busy today so you will have to just sit here". We scheduled our reservation 2 hours before the show we were attending. Because of our long wait to be seated we were late for our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StJohnStJohnDined on 11/8/2014Service was excellent. Food was good. Noise level was too high. Make sure you have reservations on the weekend. Still had a short wait. No reservations were at least a one and half hour wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriserluekensDined on 11/7/2014We had not been to this Cooper's Hawk for over a year. We found a restaurant that was still very popular, but not as pressured as when they were first opened. Their wine had improved since our last visit with my wife having the Cabernet/Shiraz and I had a glass (actually 2) of the Barbera. My wife was able to get a gluten-free menu as requested and chose a chicken salad which was more than she could eat. I had the delicious short ribs, which were perfect for a cold, fall dinner. The server was very accommodating providing us with samples of our chosen wines before we finally decided. She was attentive to our needs. We had enjoyable Friday night date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicki529Dined on 11/6/2014One of the best restaurants in the area! Service is oustanding too!Special Features:
- Wonderful atmosphere!cuffndeeDined on 11/2/2014Wonderful atmosphere! I appreciate the positive greeters, and Anna is a dynamic waitress! The opportunity to taste The wine before ordering is very impressive; I hate to order something distasteful and still have to pay for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish..MaddieDined on 11/1/2014First time..and definetly not the last..would love to try for Lunch...dinner was great...waitress was amazing as well..Bibb lettuce salad was delish...surf and turf...yum,,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimpleDined on 11/1/2014Great food and great service and always fun to go toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Excellent service, we arrived an hour early and they seat as right away! Waiter very knowledgable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodieDined on 10/31/2014Excellent as always; food, service, and ambiance. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I'm a 2-year wine club member; loveLuvCHWDined on 10/31/2014I ALWAYS enjoy my meal, wine & service @ Cooper's Hawk. I have never ordered the same thing and I've never regretted any choice I've made. It's the best for modern, casual dining; dates; special occasions; foodies & wine lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sausage flatbread!!GirlsnightoutDined on 10/29/2014Delicious every time! And love that they text you when your table is ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceSlowserviceDined on 10/28/2014Service was so slow from the waitress to getting our food. We were thirsty! And they forgot to make my daughters dinner which she didn't get until after we were done with all of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Had a wonderful meal and a great waitress. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed First visit!KatieCSDined on 10/25/2014A large wine tasting menu. Great service. It was a fun date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to dinesonyDined on 10/25/2014Great food, service, Staff are very and efficient.Special Features:
- 4 starsEMSjDined on 10/24/2014Great place for food and drinks. Highly recommend. Awesome service as well!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweetest Day DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I enjoyed bringing my husband here for Sweetest Day. The food and service were excellent. I have a background in interior design and as such, enjoyed the design aesthetic and vibe. If there was one thing I would change it would be to provide a tasteful amount of lounge seating in the waiting area. I was not a fan of the fact that the restaurant connected with the mall. That element made the vibe a little too casual when compared to the menu offerings and overall pricepoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Heard so many great things about Cooper's hawk, could not wait to try it. Overall, an okay experience, I'm notsure i believe it was a meal worthy of $100. I had the crab cakes and filet mignon medallions. I requested medium, one steak was rarish, the other medium well. Whatever. i ate them both. The crab cakes were gross. They fell apart and were greasy-ish. I was not surprised-most restaurants do mediocre crabcakes. My boyfriend had the chicken and pasta- it was okay. We did not get around to the wine tasting. I will try eating here again-just to experience the wine tasting-if that does not work out. i will not be back again. OH....I forgot, the apple pie was DELICIOus!!! the thickish pie crust was divine aand the filling was.just AWESOME.Special Features:
- PleasedBdel1218Dined on 10/18/2014Over all very pleased with our server and food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitwinegirlDined on 10/18/2014We really enjoyed our visit. We did the wine tasting first then met friends for dinner. Food and drinks were great. Service was a little slow but it wasn't awful. The restaurant was beautiful and very clean.Special Features:
- Good foodAwesomeDined on 10/17/2014Great service great wine great food...go there eat the food sample the wines try the chocolates and all the other edible delightsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooper's Hawk is delicious!!AmandaLizDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I dine here for any special occasion. The food is most delicious!! The service is impeccable and the selection of wines are most impressive! It is our new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice and Wine, tooMAC6VIPDined on 10/17/2014Love the variety of the menu offerings. The suggested pairings are very helpful and wise choices. The servers are all quite knowledgeable with the food and the wines.Special Features:
- Great to an extentFoodGran54Dined on 10/16/2014We were originally shown to a table that was jammed between others - literally - and fortunately were able to opt for a booth. The noise level was deafening, and I overhead a server comment that it was a slow night. Our server was wonderful, polite and attentive. Started the meal with the lobster/crab bisque, which was excellent. The filet mignon, however, was not as tasty as I had expected from that cut of meat, and the broccoli served on the side was stone cold and raw. Betty's Potatoes were an excellent side dish. Any romance hoped for in the anniversary dinner being celebrated was totally lost in the overwhelming background noise; conversation was difficult at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodapplernDined on 10/12/2014This is a great location because its right outside the mall. Good wine list and great food. I actually like this location better than the Orland Park, Il location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceKcdinerDined on 10/11/2014Everything was amazing! The wine tasting was wonderful thanks to the friendly staff- and both of our dinners were excellent. I had the scallops (my favorite) with the Jasmine rice and my husband tried one of the gnocchi dishes that our waitress recommended! Both were fantastic! We also got the Mexican drunken shrimp for an appetizer and that is a personal fav as well! Great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusterDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and service. We have highly recommended Cooper's Hawk to all our friends.Special Features:
- Try the sausage flatbread! SO Good!GirlsnightoutDined on 10/10/2014We love this place and the pesto flatbread with sausage and giardiniera is definitely our new favorite app!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceboxmakerDined on 10/4/2014This is the first time, out of several times dinning here, where the server timed the food correctly (Michael) usually the food is rushed, and I have to resort to ordering one course at a time. Michael was understanding of my concerns and did an excellent Job The food is always excellent.Special Features:
- Great place in a small town.PedroDined on 10/2/2014The Wine they make is pretty good. Also one of the best churrasco that I have had. Good food, good wine and a nice clean place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but Great food!HuttDined on 10/1/2014Great food but the noise level was too high to carry on a low tone conversation. First time ever at this restaurant and was looking for a romantic setting, but didn't find it. However, the food was excellent. I need a place that accomodiates both.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWine4uVIPDined on 9/26/2014Tilapia salad was awesome Had the wine and chocolate for an amazing dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!lzellerDined on 9/25/2014The steak and crab cakes were delicious. The service was great.Special Features:
- best mealdateniteDined on 9/21/2014Awesome dining experiance , from the appetizer to dessert everything was spot on. Going to be a repeat customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSavvydinerDined on 9/20/2014After much hype, we went here for our second anniversary. The restaurant was nice enough overall but very loud. We couldn't hear each other speak and the food was mediocre at best. I had surf and turf with excellent salmon but probably the worst filet medallions that I've ever had. The wine was good and we had a good time sampling and experiencing the different ones. Overall, we spent over a hundred dollars on a meal that shouldn't have been more than 50 or 60.Special Features:
- Cooper's Hawk ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I always enjoy my visit to Cooper's Hawk. The only problem that I always find concerning is that reservations are hard to place for bigger parties.Special Features:
- Our 30th Anniversary DinnerBobean57Dined on 9/15/2014My husband and I had a late supper on our Anniversary at this restaurant. This is our new place for dinner. Appetizers are filling and delicious. The wine is like no other that we have ever had. Can't wait to make our next reservations for a initimate dinner real soon.Special Features:
- Love the wine-tasting bar!DoubleStuffDined on 9/13/2014If you're a wine-lover, this is the place. There's a beautiful wine-tasting bar with attentive staff which has a CA Napa Valley feel. I wouldn't recommend coming on a Saturday night, however. It's difficult to get waited on in the wine-tasting bar, which was full when we were here. The food was delicious and nicely presented. The server, who was very busy, could have brought us water without us asking, and filled it when it was empty, which he didn't, but again, the place was packed. We also had to ask for silverware/napkins. For the price, I would have expected more from the service. Overall, I would recommend this classy, casual/fine dining restaurant, but would come on a weekday, where you could get the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.