Cooperage - Philadelphia
601 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cooperage - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cooperagephilly.com/
- Phone: 2152262667
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe: M-F 7am-6pm; Kitchen hours: Monday-Friday 11am-11pm, Saturday 12pm-12am; Closed Sunday; Bar hours are often extended beyond dinner service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Let us fill your belly on your next special occassion! Cooperage offers off-premise catering as well as in-house private parties
- Private Party Contact: Erin Fitzgerald 2152262667
A word from Cooperage - Philadelphia
For great domestic craft beer, and extensive wine and whiskey selections, head to Cooperage, a New American gastropub located in the historic Curtis Center, just North of Washington Square. Coop’s kitchen puts a fun twist on comfort food, and a refreshing focus on slow food, like oysters on the half shell, and cheese and charcuterie boards put together from small American farms. A great destination for a quick and tasty lunch, casual snacks and sips at the bar, or a full dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Cooperage - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Cooperage - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)romantic (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Relaxed Spot for Casual DiningNormluvsgreatstuffDined on 7/4/2014Great salad entrees and sandwich platters make this restaurant an easy place to relax and dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but hard to talkOccasionalDinerDined on 6/26/2014Very much enjoyed food and beer selection and the service was very good, but the noise level during happy hour made casual conversation difficult. Good deals for happy hour in terms of variety and prices. There is outdoor seating available but I cannot report on this because we ate inside.Special Features:
- Good Pub FoodEliotVIPDined on 6/26/2014Visited for lunch on day of USA-Germany world cup match. French Dip, Burger, Asian salad and Mac n Cheese were all good. Friendly and very knowledgeable server. However, service was initially slow (perhaps owing to crowd due to game), but once we got our order in, service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BarOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2014Stopped for dinner before seeing a show at The Walnut Street Theater. This is a small bar which is loud and young. After seeing our table, I asked to sit outside. The outside seating was very comforatable - cushy seats, roomy. The service was good but you needed to catch the servers when they were outside. The Corn & Crab Chowder was excellent but VERY filling. We had the Chinese Salad which was excellent as well. I had the French Dip which was very good but way too much food after the Chowder. Definitely a good place for good food. If I was younger - I'm sure I'd love the bar as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourCherrieVIPDined on 5/29/2014Great Happy Hour and also a great spot before the theater. The food is wonderful bar type menu and the service is normally very quick. We always have time to enjoy our meal and get to the theater on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placePepperDined on 4/28/2014Great restaurant wait staff and management are always friendly and helpful. Acoustics are a bit lively but overall lunch experience is great! Bar picks up for happy hour and a nice mixed crowd shares a cozy space. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 135 reviews are from the Cooperage - Philadelphia reviews archive.
- Nice place for lunchRaggyboysVIPDined on 4/23/2014My 10 year old son and I were spending the day in the city and decided to stop at Cooperage for lunch since we had to eat on the early side and this was the only restaurant in the area open at 11 AM. We were pleasantly surprised service was good, portions were ample and food was very good.Special Features:
- RitaDined on 4/16/2014The waiter suggested I try the shrimp po boy and I was reluctant because it said "cajun" but he assured me that it wasn't spicy at all and he was right. It was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy Happy Hourcbannon00Dined on 4/11/2014My friend and I visited Cooperage - Philadephia before visiting the theater down the street. It was a Friday night and was very crowded but we made reservations in advance and we were seated immediately. It took a bit of time before our order (even our drink order) was taken. It then took quite a bit of time before we received our drinks. It was happy hour and it was very busy. The waitress came by and told us she was waiting for clean glasses. We were okay with the wait because we had time to kill before the play. The food was okay. I orderd the crispy chicken sandwich which was not memorable. My friend had the french dip which she told me was pretty good.Special Features:
- Great happy hour specialsCherrieVIPDined on 4/10/2014Go there before the theater! Fast service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not A Place for Dnner?GManDined on 4/5/2014We had been to Cooperage once before for dinner before the show at The Walnut Theater, and they had entrees either as specials or on the menu. This time, there were no entrees on the menu or as specials, so our before theater "dinner" consisted of sandwiches. The restaurant was "out of" several menu items as well as several wine choices, which seemed quite odd for a Saturday evening. The sandwiches we did have was tasty enough and the waitress was cordial and tried to be helpful. Perhaps Cooperage is more of a lunch place with a bar that is popular with the after work crowd. We wouldn't return for dinner, but would consider trying it for lunch one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love COOP!eLeLDined on 2/26/2014Food is always delicious, service is wonderful. Menu has something for everyone, and is nicely affordable. Ambience can be bustling/noisy, but it's a great place for lunch, or after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beer selectionrcooper331VIPDined on 12/28/2013We went after the theater - it was 5:00pm. Great place would have liked to stay longer. Good local beer selection and reasonable wine selection. Also, have to say one of the best burgers I've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodCherrieVIPDined on 11/21/2013Great place for happy hour and before the theater. The food is awesome and the price is affordable. Would recommend this, we have eaten here more than a few times now and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceOutToLunchVIPDined on 11/1/2013A surpisingly good meal (pulled pork sandwich and mac and cheese), nice beer selection, and excellent service. Noisy at the bar but not really enough to interfer with the mealI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that goodChachiDined on 9/27/2013Food was not anything special. Select restaurant week menu included a ribeye steak and chicken pasta dish. Both were Below Average to Average. Service was Above Average. Manager offered free drinks after chatting about bourbons. Ambience was a general Center City bar/restaurant.Special Features:
- Good for a catch up dinnerRedozgrammyDined on 9/24/2013We hadn't seen each other in months and in a booth was a great place for catch up We enjoyed food. And there was plenty!! Would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeTessaDined on 9/23/2013First visit was during restaurant week. The food was great, large portions, good happy hour prices on beer. I would definitely visit again. Service was great; a great experience all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitress was excellentJW1225Dined on 9/20/2013Our waitress was excellent as were the drinks. The food was very good and the portions were generous. We will definitely add cooperage to out go to list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great per-theater stop!CherrieVIPDined on 9/19/2013Great bar to go to before the theater. Happy hour specials are just the right size to fill you up but not overstuff.Special Features:
- Delicious Food, Great Decor!DaniDined on 9/15/2013Two thumbs up! I went with my boyfriend, and another couple. The restaurant week menu was phenomenal! I had the Chicken Tortilla Soup, Shrimp Quesadilla, Baked Salmon with Shrimp Risotto, and the Flan. It's a lot of food! and it was delicious! I was not expecting to get a whole quesadilla, thought it was going to be half of a normal size one. I had leftovers for the next day. The staff was very friendly. The decor in cooperage is retro vintage with a modern twist. Overall, I loved the food, service was great and would recommend this to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for burgers!Luv2dineDined on 8/9/2013I have eaten at Cooperage many times. Unfortunately, this particular experience was not a good one because their menu changed significantly and we ended up leaving to go to another restaurant. I had 2 guests with me who looked at the online menu before their arrival and they were very disappointed that none of the dishes they wanted were on the dinner menu. They told the waitress that the online menu still had the old dinner menu and she was very apologetic and said that they changed it drastically about 2 months ago, but that they still needed to update the menu. For example, they used to offer clams and mussels, bourbon chicken wings, fish and chips, and a number of other delicious dishes which are no longer available. Great burgers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJulesVIPDined on 8/5/2013This place is amazing!!! The beers on tap for happy hour are great. The drinks are strong and the food is delicious. Great place...can't wait to go back. One of my favorite restaurants in the city!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2013Can't wait to go back. The food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or MissOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2013My family and I love Cooperage. It's our go to whenever we have a short amount of time for dinner, or for a fabulous Happy Hour deal. However our last visit was very disappointing. It took a while for our waitress to even come to our table. We were sat in the middle of the bar and my sister kept getting hit in the head by purses, back packs, and butts walking by. The noise level was deafening and it was impossible to talk over. We will definitely go back because the Happy Hour deal is too good to be true. But it's a shame when your favorite bar lets you down.Special Features:
- never was servedTasHDined on 7/3/2013We went for dinner before catching a show; told the staff that we were going to a show and had a deadline (but still had plenty of time, over an hour).... then waited, and waited.... It was 20 minutes before anyone came to the table, after 30 minutes still didn't have drinks, and that was it! We left to grab a quick bite somewhere else and make the show! Can't comment on the food, since we didn't have any....
- Great happy hourSimkenVIPDined on 7/2/2013We really liked this restaurant. There were generous portions of food and drink at happy Hour prices till 700. A hidden gem in this part of town. Keep it up.Special Features:
- The food we had was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2013The food we had was good, but nothing to rave about. The menu is minimal (a few apps, salads, burgers and sandwiches). Disappointing that they were "in between" their seasonal whiskey menus, so had no special cocktails to offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar foodCherrieVIPDined on 6/6/2013Great place to go before the theater. No "over feeding" and falling asleep. Nice size portions and tasty sandwiches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu online was not theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2013The menu online was not the menu offered. I would have left and gone elsewhere but it was my grandsons birthday and we were going to a show so we were under a time constraint. The hostess didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked about the menu. Although the service was very good and our order came in a timely manner, I will not go back unless I want a burger and beer. I was disappointed in the menu and the food.
- Had a great meal with theCmcllainDined on 4/1/2013Had a great meal with the family after a day at the National Constitution Center and Liberty Bell. Great Happy hour specials and menu.Special Features:
- Definitely loud and energetic.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2013Definitely loud and energetic. The chairs were horribly uncomfortable, so shoot for the booth or a seat at the bar.Special Features:
- Not a bad place. Menu isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013Not a bad place. Menu is small and mostly bar food. Great whiskey selection. Our waitress was extremely nice, but I could tell she was spread thin with how many tables she had. Hostess was grumpy.Special Features:
- No one was there at the doorCherrieVIPDined on 2/7/2013No one was there at the door so I didn't know if they checked my reservation, but we were pointed to a table. We were pleasantly surprised with the food, it was great. It was a perfect pub atmosphere and a great place to have dinner before a show. We will definitely go back there again.Special Features:
- We wanted a quick dinner priorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013We wanted a quick dinner prior to a show. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Happy hour was a blast. Drinks were reasonably priced and food was great. Manager and wait staff showed us special attention. Can't ask for much more than that.Special Features:
- Large list of bourbon, scotch,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2012Large list of bourbon, scotch, and wines. Great place for an appetizer, meal, or drinks. I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great food...great drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2012Great food...great drinks and beer selection. Good for happy hour too!Special Features:
- Early stop before Pops concertOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2012Early stop before Pops concert -- Perfect for the situation - nice atmosphere-reasonable prices - Love 'the happy hour" prices.Special Features:
- Nice industrial feel to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2012Nice industrial feel to this restaurant. The food is upscale sandwiches and bar type fare. The draught beer selection is eclectic and constantly changing variety of microbrews and local products. Great for business lunch groups and the staff is as warm and friendly as center city Philadelphia gets.Special Features:
- Overall the food was good,swl86VIPDined on 4/28/2012Overall the food was good, but the service was slow and they were out of a lot of beverages. They had a cocktail menu online, but when I asked to see it they said it was being re-done... but they could still make me drinks off of the old menu. They were out of moscato and the cider advertised on the board was actually a different one. The food was very good.