Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset
6800 Jericho Tpke.
Syosset, NY 11791Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coolfishrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (516) 921-3250
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Steven Del Lima
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Vaccese 5169213250x
- Entertainment: Live Music!
A word from Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset
CoolFish is a seasonally driven seafood restaurant. The wine list features thirty wines by the glass, from small production vineyards in California, Europe, South America and Australia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (26)good for groups (18)romantic (17)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Dull, uninspired wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014Went with the $110 living social deal. Notified at the beginning of the meal that 4 of the 5 steaks on the menu (all except the skirt) will have a $20 upcharge. No mention of restrictions on the deal fine print. Wait staff was dull and borderline rude. The food was good but the restaurant did not impress for a return visit.
- DinnerWith StuDinnerWithStuDined on 11/8/2014Food was very good, the server was very good. The server was getting stuck at another table with a ton of questions and asked for help with my table. I thought that was a very nice thing to do, asking another server to take our order as another table was holding her upSpecial Features:
- CoolFishLex1VIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was great and the service was good too. The dessert was fantastic.Special Features:
- fantasticGerryDined on 11/8/2014Best seafood I've had in YEARS! I would recommend CoolFish Bar and Grille to all who would like an great seafood meal and in quiet romantic setting!Special Features:
- Manhattan Restaurant in Syossetmussi9Dined on 11/8/2014The location is the worst part of the restaurant because its in an industrial parking lot but once inside it transforms into a beautiful restaurant. It has dim lighting and nice decor. Service was good and it was quiet and romantic. The best part was by far the food; every appetizer and entree was cooked perfectly, presented exquisitely and was delicious. The only downfall is when you have food of this quality you should be expected to pay for it and the appetizers and entrees were expensive but it was worth it. I live in Manhattan and this restaurant had Manhattan prices and Manhattan quality food. I will be there again soon. Great place.Special Features:
- Too ComplicatedNancyVIPDined on 11/5/2014My husband ordered swordfish and I ordered halibut. There was so much sauce on each dish that they tasted the same. I would recommend ordering the simply grilled so that you can taste the fish. Also, we used a social living coupon and were told that there was a surcharge of $20 for most steak entrees.Special Features:
- Better in some waysTravellerVIPDined on 10/31/2014This was our first time there since it has been sold. We had the prixe fixe menu. The salmon was cooked just as ordered , it was wonderful and the quinoa around it was flavorful and went very well with it. The others had the linguini with seafood which they liked but complained that it was not enough seafood., the mussels appetizer was plentiful and a big hit, as was the fresh mozzarella with arugula and asparagus salad. The service was horrible. This young man really did not know what he was doing at all. We had to ask for the prix fixe emanuel gave everyone a wine list, brought us a standard dessert menu in the end. Still had a goodtime and would go again. One more thing, the group wanted a few more entree choices.Special Features:
- highstandardsVIPDined on 10/14/2014Elegant white table cloth setting with classical music setting the tone for an enjoyable and intimate evening. Food was excellent and service quite attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice ladies lunchAnnCVIPDined on 10/6/2014Had an elegant, sumptuous 3 course lunch for 13.95, an excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not returnbrenkypVIPDined on 10/4/2014food was just ok. I expected better seafood from a seafood restaurant. Our waiter was new and unfamiliar with many of the dishes. He could not describe many things and admitted that he had not seen some of the dishes ordered yet because he was so new.
- Enjoyed Coolfish once againjparteachDined on 9/20/2014I have been going to Coolfish for a number of years and have always enjoyed my time there. The food is consistently good.Special Features:
- KenjaDined on 9/19/2014The chefs know what they're doing at Coolfish. Food that's inventive, colorful, healthy, and delicious enough to be memorable.Special Features:
- Love CoolfishBABSVIPDined on 9/19/2014The crab cake was excellent. No big pieces of crab but very flavorful. Chilean sea bass with shrimp was delicious. Chocolate teepee awesome! Living social coupon made the 3 course meal so worth it. Will be back.Special Features:
- Good Food, not accommodatingjimygunnVIPDined on 9/13/2014Been here many times and food is always very good. However, few members in my family have some food intolerances, and restaurant was always accommodating. However, they seemed to change their policy and don't allow any small changes from menu. To quote our server, " the menu is the menu". This change made for a tough dinner, and we won't be returning.
- Room for improvementBABSVIPDined on 9/13/2014Service was a bit slow. The restaurant was pretty empty when we arrived but our server was not attentive however other waiters did help out which made things a bit better. The shrimp ceviche was tough and acidic. The swordfish was flavorful but dry. My husband's steak was good but he was unable to swap out his side so he just didn't eat it. Chef should be more accomodating to customer requests The best part of the meal was the chocolate teepee. One of the best desserts I've had. Delish!!. I will return to try other dishes.Special Features:
- used to be great!lovgoodfoodDined on 9/12/2014very disappointing, this place used to be amazing, the waiters all looked like they were moving in slow motion. the busboys are the only ones hustling. the dumplings were good the boulibasse was tiny and not a lot of flavor. the tuna appetizer was okay, and the red snapper was good. when we tried to order a dessert that was brought to another table, the waiter could only find out that is was part of the pre fix menu and we cpuld not have it! he couldn't even tell us what it was. will not go back
- Never Again!ScottyVIPDined on 9/9/2014This used to be an outstanding restaurant when Tom Schaudel owned it. Since he sold it's been going downhill. I went back a few times after my first unsatisfactory meal, thinking it was "growing pains". Never again. Ordered an absolutely inedible skirt steak. and a lobster appetizer that was all bread and very little lobster. Why offer a dish guaranteed to be unsatisfactory? Doesn't matter. I went this last time because a client asked for it. Since we were both disappointed, and my food came after he was finished, I knew I was finished too. Adios Coolfish. Never again!
- Coolfish is for fish loverskendigramVIPDined on 9/7/2014The mussels were delicious, a must try. I had the whole red snapper which was fantastic and a very large dish. My husband had the halibut done simply grilled. He liked it very much but the portion was quite small. I know halibut is expensive but this was really a small portion. At $30 a dish you expect at least a normal portion. It came with no sides so a side of vegetables made this dish close to $40. At that price the main dish should be larger. Service was excellent. The chef here is wonderful, I just think he needs to adjust some of his portion sizes.Special Features:
- Very disappointedfoodie7Dined on 9/6/2014We had a reservation but had to wait more than a half hour. Service was so slow that it took 2 hours for food. Brought out wrong appetizer. When we got the right one it was delicious. My dish and my daughter's had shrimp but were different dishes. The shrimp tasted fishy and old. Couldn't eat it. My husband had simply grilled fish. He really enjoyed it but the portion was about 4 ounces with no side dishes and cost $28 and like it said - was just simply grilled. When we finally got the check after asking several times, we were overcharged and it took another 10 minuted before we could get the correct one. So while it was a nice looking place - we won't be back
- not up to parijs4VIPDined on 9/6/2014too many folks at a rehearsal dinner threw off the entire service. along with other couples, we waited over 30 minutes for a table to "be set up". the waitress did her best to get us more than bread and beer, and after going to the kitchen a 3rd time, we finally got our main course nearly 90 minutes after being seated. ask ahead if there are any staffing problems to be sure you get proper service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not on their A game!kikiVIPDined on 9/6/2014Something has changed and /or is slipping at Coolfish. Usually we are big fans but not this night. Service was especially slow although we did allow some slack since they had an engagement party occurring in the back...but it seemed like they did not plan properly for a Saturday night. Of course after waiting so long for the main course, one would hope it was worth the wait but unfortunately it was not. Our whole table ordered fish...two were dry and another luke warm in temperature. Our friends had also expressed their last two visits over the past few months were disappointing. Hopefully Coolfish will find away to turn things around...we wont be back until we hear good things.
- Hits and MissesEsquireDined on 9/6/2014Some of the dishes were delicious and creative whereas others were mediocre. I recommend the coconut sauce mussels as an appetizer. The lollipop lambchops and the dumplings are good, too, but are overpriced as is the restaurant in general. Best to go with some kind of a coupon or on Sundays when they offer prix fixe meals. For entrees, the sea bass is excellent, but the red snapper filet not so much. The restaurant is located in the far rear of a commercial buildings complex, and so don't think that you are lost when looking for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- save your moneyRandy10Dined on 9/3/2014Over priced, over hyped, this restaurant won`t be in business for much longer. The food was fair, not bad not great. Presentation from back in the 90`s, wine list pathetic when you consider the fact they seem to be proud of it. I forgot more about wine than they know there. The waitress did not even know how to open a bottle of wine properly. I don`t need to go back there and pay high prices for slow service, and ordinary wines.
- Great food...service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014Review title says it all...we were seated for almost 20 minutes before anyone came over to take drink order, but we'd never received drink menu. Drinks took almost 10 minutes to arrive. Mind you, there weren't that many filled tables and definitely ample staff to handle. Once we finally got our drinks & apps, things got better.Special Features:
- Great SalmonBABSVIPDined on 8/31/2014Friendly service. Salmon was excellent. Chocolate Teepee Delicious! Will return.Special Features:
- Very disappointedMarcoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Too bad that this once good restaurant has slid down so badly. The prices are high, but came to realize that most people had 50% discount coupons. The portions are small and the presentation is lacking. Had a hard time getting water refilled. The preparation of the fish is poor and seared and burned on the outside and raw on the inside. We will not go back.
- A Great Place for SeafoodLI23VIPDined on 8/23/2014My halibut was excellent and my wife enjoyed her red snapper as well. We'll definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014We each had a shrimp dish. I had the paella and my companions each had the simple broiled prawns/ We all found the prawns to be over cooked, tough with an iodine taste to it. For the price that was charged we thought that this should not happen. We did go to the happy hour prior to sitting down and there the food and drinks were very good.
- Client LunchBeauty7Dined on 8/19/2014Invited one of my Client's to Lunch ; had been here a few times. Food is fresh & we'll prepared; Waitress was attentive.Special Features:
- would not returnlitig8orVIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is located in the rear of an office complex. It has all the ambiance of a cafeteria. The prices are high and the portions are small. The shrimp in both my dish and my wife's were overcooked. The other shellfish (with the exception of the sea bass) were tasteless.
- Best prix fixerhubarbVIPDined on 8/15/2014It would be hard to beat this prix fixe menu. Incredible selection and amazing taste. Just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheMayorDined on 8/3/2014Went on a Sunday night which is always dangerous at restaurants. Wait tee never showed up until after entrees served but manager was attentive and took our orders. Fish was good - even very good. Salads were good too. Overall good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 189 reviews are from the Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset reviews archive.
- Better seafood elsewhereSyossetDiner123VIPDined on 6/28/2014We were disappointed in this restaurant. For a Saturday night, the place was only a third of the way full yet the hostess called twice to confirm our reservation. The service was fine although the waitress seemed very inexperienced. She was not familiar with the menu or wine list. We had the crabcake and crispy oysters to start. The crabcake was good but the oysters were chewy and the sauce did not work. For entrees, we had the red snapper filet and halibut. The red snapper was very fishy (more so than expected) and the combination of sides and sauces did not blend well. The halibut was cooked well but the sauce was also a bit off. The best part of the whole meal was the dessert. IF we ever go back, it would be only for dessert and coffee.
- Great food, quiet atmosphere!CarolDined on 6/14/2014Nice selection of fish entrees. Desserts were excellent, too!Special Features:
- Good ExperienceAll4HopeDined on 6/14/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. It was a little difficult to find the restaurant if you're not familiar with the area. The only disappointing thing to report was the children's pizza; the sauce needs to be plain and the mozzarella is always better when it's fresh. The crust was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodPlefVIPDined on 6/7/2014Haven't been to Coolfish in a while. The menu finally was insync with it's name - fish. Lots of fish on the menu. It was hard to choose. Appetizers were all delicious. My husband chose Caesar salad and said it was one of the best he's ever had. I had crab cakes. The sauces on them were yummy. 2 of us had halibut for the main. It was one of the best I've ever had without doubt. Desserts were fabulous too. Waitress talked too much. She kept engaging in conversation. It is also beyond moderately priced. With wine $200 per couple. But very with it if you're a foodie! Excellent food!!!Special Features:
- Service and Food were outstanding.BBrunoVIPDined on 6/5/2014Although it was a little hard to find, we were pleasantly surprised when we walked in. Everything we ordered was perfectly prepared and our waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an excellent dinnerMattVIPDined on 5/28/2014Went here on Wednesday night (perhaps that explains why it was so empty?) for dinner. The place was very empty and really quiet (both not bad things). We ordered the "Tuna, tuna, tuna...", the Sea Bass, Shrimp, and Apple Cobbler. Everything we had was delicious and we were really really happy. Thanks for the great dinner!Special Features:
- Not quite as good as it used to beScottyVIPDined on 5/28/2014Boy do I miss Tom Schaudel. He knows how to run a restaurant. Unfortunately, he's no longer the owner & it shows. This place needs a serious makeover. That's a big part of why they were the only truly successful restaurant of the many which used to occupy this space-they put the money in to make it special. Oh well, Guess I'll stick with JewelSpecial Features:
- LunchLadyjayneeDined on 5/23/2014I haven't been to CoolFish in many years. Went with a friend there for her Birthday. Lunch was very good! Service was very good! I feel the only negative is that the place needs a little facelift - the carpets are threadbare... All of which you can see in the daytime light!Special Features: