Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset
6800 Jericho Tpke.
Syosset, NY 11791Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coolfishrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5169213250x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Steven Del Lima
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Vaccese 5169213250x
- Entertainment: Live Music!
A word from Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset
CoolFish is a seasonally driven seafood restaurant. The wine list features thirty wines by the glass, from small production vineyards in California, Europe, South America and Australia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset - Best Restaurants in Syosset ›
Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (18)good for groups (15)romantic (14)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very disappointedMarcoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Too bad that this once good restaurant has slid down so badly. The prices are high, but came to realize that most people had 50% discount coupons. The portions are small and the presentation is lacking. Had a hard time getting water refilled. The preparation of the fish is poor and seared and burned on the outside and raw on the inside. We will not go back.
- A Great Place for SeafoodLI23VIPDined on 8/23/2014My halibut was excellent and my wife enjoyed her red snapper as well. We'll definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014We each had a shrimp dish. I had the paella and my companions each had the simple broiled prawns/ We all found the prawns to be over cooked, tough with an iodine taste to it. For the price that was charged we thought that this should not happen. We did go to the happy hour prior to sitting down and there the food and drinks were very good.
- Client LunchBeauty7Dined on 8/19/2014Invited one of my Client's to Lunch ; had been here a few times. Food is fresh & we'll prepared; Waitress was attentive.Special Features:
- would not returnlitig8orVIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is located in the rear of an office complex. It has all the ambiance of a cafeteria. The prices are high and the portions are small. The shrimp in both my dish and my wife's were overcooked. The other shellfish (with the exception of the sea bass) were tasteless.
- Best prix fixerhubarbVIPDined on 8/15/2014It would be hard to beat this prix fixe menu. Incredible selection and amazing taste. Just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheMayorDined on 8/3/2014Went on a Sunday night which is always dangerous at restaurants. Wait tee never showed up until after entrees served but manager was attentive and took our orders. Fish was good - even very good. Salads were good too. Overall good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better seafood elsewhereSyossetDiner123VIPDined on 6/28/2014We were disappointed in this restaurant. For a Saturday night, the place was only a third of the way full yet the hostess called twice to confirm our reservation. The service was fine although the waitress seemed very inexperienced. She was not familiar with the menu or wine list. We had the crabcake and crispy oysters to start. The crabcake was good but the oysters were chewy and the sauce did not work. For entrees, we had the red snapper filet and halibut. The red snapper was very fishy (more so than expected) and the combination of sides and sauces did not blend well. The halibut was cooked well but the sauce was also a bit off. The best part of the whole meal was the dessert. IF we ever go back, it would be only for dessert and coffee.
- Great food, quiet atmosphere!CarolDined on 6/14/2014Nice selection of fish entrees. Desserts were excellent, too!Special Features:
- Good ExperienceAll4HopeDined on 6/14/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. It was a little difficult to find the restaurant if you're not familiar with the area. The only disappointing thing to report was the children's pizza; the sauce needs to be plain and the mozzarella is always better when it's fresh. The crust was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodPlefVIPDined on 6/7/2014Haven't been to Coolfish in a while. The menu finally was insync with it's name - fish. Lots of fish on the menu. It was hard to choose. Appetizers were all delicious. My husband chose Caesar salad and said it was one of the best he's ever had. I had crab cakes. The sauces on them were yummy. 2 of us had halibut for the main. It was one of the best I've ever had without doubt. Desserts were fabulous too. Waitress talked too much. She kept engaging in conversation. It is also beyond moderately priced. With wine $200 per couple. But very with it if you're a foodie! Excellent food!!!Special Features:
- Service and Food were outstanding.BBrunoDined on 6/5/2014Although it was a little hard to find, we were pleasantly surprised when we walked in. Everything we ordered was perfectly prepared and our waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an excellent dinnerMattVIPDined on 5/28/2014Went here on Wednesday night (perhaps that explains why it was so empty?) for dinner. The place was very empty and really quiet (both not bad things). We ordered the "Tuna, tuna, tuna...", the Sea Bass, Shrimp, and Apple Cobbler. Everything we had was delicious and we were really really happy. Thanks for the great dinner!Special Features:
- Not quite as good as it used to beScottyVIPDined on 5/28/2014Boy do I miss Tom Schaudel. He knows how to run a restaurant. Unfortunately, he's no longer the owner & it shows. This place needs a serious makeover. That's a big part of why they were the only truly successful restaurant of the many which used to occupy this space-they put the money in to make it special. Oh well, Guess I'll stick with JewelSpecial Features:
- LunchLadyjayneeDined on 5/23/2014I haven't been to CoolFish in many years. Went with a friend there for her Birthday. Lunch was very good! Service was very good! I feel the only negative is that the place needs a little facelift - the carpets are threadbare... All of which you can see in the daytime light!Special Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Coolfish Grill & Wine Bar - Syosset reviews archive.
- Easy fix problemsCattrapDined on 5/3/2014Went during restaurant week on a Sat., coolfish did not honor the cut prices on Sat. I have been to other places and they all honor everyday during restaurant WEEK. Big turn-off. I don't drink alcohol, and the soda was served in a small cocktail glass, again big turn-off. I didn't use the restroom, but my boyfriend did, an he said it was pretty bad, dirty and poorly stocked. A little pricey. 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, no desert or alcohol for 2, $104. I will rethink going back there. Too bad, food was very good, and nice ambience.Special Features:
- Fine DiningJeriDined on 5/2/2014The dining experience at Coolfish always live up to our expectations. The only part of the meal that would make it complete when there is a Restaurant Week deal, would be coffee included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but use to be betterKrisDined on 5/1/2014I have been here a few times. The food is on the pricey side, but has always been very good and worth it. This last time I went, the food was still good but not great as usual. The steak i had was overly salty. The best appetizer is the quesadilla, so good. The service is usually very good here as well, but during my last visit, it was lacking a little. Had to ask for water fill-ups, didn't clear the appetizer plates for over 20 minutes until the entree was coming. Just the little things you expect when paying at least $50 a person.
- Nice experienceTravellerVIPDined on 5/1/2014As always Coolfish is a gem. Consistently good food, professional friendly service and a pleasant atmosphere. The Chilean sea bass was cooked perfectly and the dessert was decadent and deliscious.Special Features:
- Not Good!fisheaterVIPDined on 5/1/2014Went to Coolfish for LI Restaurant week. There was a $10.00 up charge for my Sea Bass and a $5.00 up charge for my husbands Fillet. The salads were very nice. The preparation of the Sea bass looked pleasing but the odd off smell of the fish was a turn off. But with only 1 waiter and an assistant covering the entire room, the absolutely abominable service made it impossible to send it back. To add insult to injury the check was presented to us before the dessert even arrived. NOT GOOD!
- POMODined on 4/26/2014Enjoyed the meal, but I think it is a little pricey.Special Features:
- hiding in plain sightjayngeeDined on 4/25/2014off the main road, if you don't see the sign it is easy to forget about this restaurant. looking for a good place to meet friends for dinner last minute, this came up on opentable so we gave it a try. the food was excellent as was the overall experience. we will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 4/24/2014The worst experience ever!! Had seven o'clock reservations. Seated right away. Drinks came with no problem. Then the disaster started. We were a party of six. Four of the appetizers came and then we waited twenty minutes for the other two appetizers. Ok, so a little problem. Then we sat for an hour waiting for mains. After an hour the waitress came over and told us that one of the dishes that we ordered was not available!! I said that I hoped that the other five entrees weren't sitting under a warmer for the past hour and was told that there was a problem in the kitchen and that nothing had been prepared. We left and went for pizza. Coolfish used to be a really good restaurant. Not any more. PS. The pizza was great.
- Excellent food, but...FundguyVIPDined on 4/13/2014Our third time there. Excellent food, but the service, while friendly, is lacking. On a Sunday night there seemed to be just one waiter and two assistants for the entire restaurant. We go there for the high quality food (that part of the equation has never disappointed) and even better, we had forgotten about the $30 Sunday prix fixe dinner -- a truly outstanding bargain. But this was the second time that we had oh-so--long waits between visits from our waiter.Special Features:
- Ignore the Office Building SiteCardiacKidVIPDined on 4/5/2014Nice place for well-prepared interesting fish. Perched behind the doors of a nondescript Syosset office building complex, Coolfish is a great spot for fresh fish prepared in an innovated fashion. The amateur wait staff is enthusiastic and helpful. Check for the presence of one of many special groups who occupy a good deal of the real estate, then run, don't walk, to this Syosset standby for a nice seafood dinner in comfortable surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a nice dinnerLikeclassyfoodDined on 3/29/2014Food was well prepared and fresh. Staff friendly. Lots of tables available - even last minute. Recommend.Special Features:
- The waiter we had was rudeFredDined on 3/29/2014The waiter we had was rude and not attentive. We had a problem with one of the entrees that we sent back When it returned, It still was not up to par and his comment was "I guess the chef is having a bad day." Not a very professional response. The wine list was very overpriced. We had tried for a 7pm reservation but none was available on Open Table. We settled for 6pm and while eating dinner, we noticed the restaurant was more than half empty at 7pm as well as when we left at 7:30. When I questioned the host he replied we had a lot of cancellations. Hard to believe. Cool Fish has a long way to go to match the excellent food, service and wine list that was provided by the previous owner. We will not return.
- cool fishdiner16Dined on 3/28/2014This is a great place to meet friends or have a date! The food is wonderful! A bit pricey but well worth it!Special Features:
- Good!GreatDined on 3/15/2014The food was great! We had the cerviche, the casadellias, steak frites and the Seabass. I waiter was great too. Oh, try r The infused vodkA- awesomeSpecial Features:
- Great choice for an upscale dinnerDebiDined on 3/1/2014My husband and i met another couple here for dinner last week. All 4 of us enjoyed our fish entrees very much. In particular the chilean sea bass and the snapper were terrific. Very comfortable seating and we stayed for about 2 hours. The service was excellent. Its a little pricey with the entrees averaging about 33.00 but we enjoyed it very much. Would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014The service was good. The lobster was overcooked and dry, no butter taste in butter poached lobster. The chilean sea bass was a bland dish. Dessert was good!
- MediocreMizlabelDined on 2/22/2014This place is circling the drain. I haven't been here for over a year and there has been no improvement. To start with, we were sat at a table where the wall sconce was torn off and the overhead light was burned out as well. Complaints that we could barely see the menu, went unacknowledged. One person in our party asked if she could have an appetizer as a main course, and after going back twice to the kitchen to ask the same question, the answer was no. So they continue to have a limited menu and be rather unaccomodating about that as well.
- Never disappoints!dddddVIPDined on 2/8/2014Love Coolfish. Quality food & service. Always a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Foodie DelightFoodforthoughtVIPDined on 2/8/2014My wife and I were hosting an out of town client and friend who is a seafood connoisseur. Well I am happy to report that there was a huge smile on the face of our guest as he took his first bite of his wonderfuly prepared and presented seafood dish of porcini dusted big eye tuna. We had the pleasure of dining early and being able to take advantage of the price fixed dinner which offered an incredible dish of salmon atop a black beluga lentil base in a beurre rouge sauce.....simply delicious. Oh....let's not forget the wonderful chocolate desserts that provided the cap to our outstanding meal. We look forward to our return and sampling of other delicacies on the menu.Special Features:
- Coolfish really is a cool Placeess709Dined on 1/28/2014So I haven't been to Cool fish in a while and don't know why I waited so long to go back!! I do need to remember to go more often because it is such a great place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coolfishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2014coolfish is a restaurant that i have eaten in many, many times, and have never had a bad meal. the food is consistently good, whether for lunch or dinner. the menu is varied, with something for everyone. the service is always courteous. thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a very nice restaurantLuvfishDined on 1/25/2014This is a very nice restaurant ! Had a drink at the bar friendly bartender . There were 4 of usour table was ready when we were ! Food was great so was the service !! Liked the way you could order fish naked !!! (Olive Oil & herbs) had mussels as an appetizer !! AWSOME !! Will be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but could dehydrateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014All food was well prepared in taste and presentation. Our salad and appetizer course was forgotten and our water glasses see not refilled for the entire time that we were at the table.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2014The waiter that we had on Saturday Jan. 11 2014 Didn't tell us the specials for the night, never asked how everything was, his name was Steven, please speak to him about thisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish was oily. Wait staffBenBrVIPDined on 1/11/2014Fish was oily. Wait staff was sub par. Appetizers were ok. Bar area seemed like more fun!