Cook & Brown Public House
959 Hope Street
Providence, RI 02906Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cook & Brown Public House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cookandbrown.com/
- Phone: (401) 273-7275
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday, Wednesday & Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar: Tuesday, Wednesday & Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar: Thursday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
Bar: Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nemo Bolin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us through our web site to set up.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: Nemo Bolin 4012737275x
- Special Events: Please contact us through our web site to set up.
A word from Cook & Brown Public House
Cook & Brown Public House is a modern, New England inspired version of a European Gastropub. This translates to a restaurant with food that is rustic in nature yet refined in technique, and service that is casual and friendly while still maintaining a high level of professionalism and polish. Cook and Brown seats 50-55 people including the bar, which acts more as a dining counter for single diners or those guests who wish for a more casual dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Cook & Brown Public House - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Cook & Brown Public House reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (20)notable wine list (10)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (6)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The food is creative, perfectly cooked, delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2014Open Table needs to have space for a comment by the diner when making a reservation such as "where do we want to sit?" or dietary needs/allergies, comments I would make when phoning in a reservation. The internet reservation is convenient, but really lacking in serving customer preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprise!Arthurr2Dined on 11/21/2014We went here early before a play so not too busy. Food and service excelent. Was getting busy as we were leaving. Will definitely try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BKFoodieVIPDined on 11/15/2014The food at Cook and Brown is amazing- very hipster, very different for Providence. We have been here several times and always enjoy the changing menu. In the winter the restaurant is extremely cold. We were seated in the window which is a single pane and near the door which opens directly into the dining room. We were not the only patrons who kept our coats on for the meal. Request a table at the back or check out Cook and Brown on a warm night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Drinks Delicious As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/24/2014The cocktails are fun--I always try something new--and the food is fresh, local, creative and delicious. I noticed this time how pricey the sides are. My friend ordered the cod with roasted potatoes as a side dish. He received a little crock with a handful of fingerling potatoes, very simple, and honestly, something that costs about a dollar to make even with potatoes from the farmers market. For this I think they charged $4.50. When you are getting $24 for a piece of fish, you could throw a few little potatoes in. My polenta app with soft-cooked egg was cold in the middle, I think because the plate it was served on was cold. A small detail but for an expensive place it matters.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014so, ok, we know the owner Nemo, through his Mom, Sharon, so we got some special treatment...but....the food is the food (even if we got some extra treats) and it is beyond delicious. we had sunday supper, which is the chef's choice, prepared for the table (if so chosen) and it was perfect from start to finish with interesting, but not pretentious, dishes. if we lived in providence we would be at Cook and Brown every week.Special Features:
- Food is way better than the serviceFeedMeDined on 10/4/2014We waited 14 min too long to be seated for a table in the middle of the room (with reservations) as well as getting our drinks. I & another at my table loved the Pan Roasted Cod. Hubby enjoyed fried chicken & son loved his Gnocchi dish as well. I have to say Roasted carrots is a better name for their roasted cauliflower & carrots dish since I barely found any of the white veggie as I searched through the trove of carrots filling my plate only to find tiny pieces of cauliflower - a bit of a disappointment considering the harvest of the white stuff I was looking forward too. My son loved his peach cake(?) ice cream dish while the 3 others at our table felt the creamy rice pudding was anything but creamy. Service should be as good as the food.
- DisappointingjpaddlerDined on 9/30/2014Unfortunately almost everything we tried was a disappointment. The fried oysters were heavily breaded and overcooked, the bluefish fritters were lighter but had little flavor of bluefish. Our salads were wonderful, but a tiny portion for the price. ($8.) We shared a pasta dish, which was very heavy and bitter. They were accommodating and let me order something else, so I chose the hand rolled cavatelli dish. Much better flavors, but the pasta was still leaden. I would have rather had store bought pasta! As a consolation, they brought out a scotch egg, gratis, which we appreciated, but were not in the mood for after the heavy pasta. Staff very nice, but will not return.
- Below averageEnchantingVIPDined on 9/27/2014I saw a hig recommendation from food and wine magazine for this restaurant so decided to try it out. I was incredibly disappointed with the vast majority of the meal. The mussels didn't hvae much flavor and neither did the pate. I order the corn chower and what i received was vergetables with 3 mussels cooked in a broth. There was nothing chowder like about this dish. The only appetizer I did enjoy was the bluefish fritters. For the entrees my group order the pork dish with ricotta, the crab rissoto, and the fried chicken. The only notable dish was the chicken. We also order the gnocchi which ended up having a hair in it. Rather than take that dish off of our check, the server brought a drink. when the person already had one.
- favoritemmm71Dined on 9/20/2014My favorite restaurant in Providence. Always changing and interesting food menu. Great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, unpretentious, and deliciousMaxMDined on 9/20/2014The best part by far about Cook and Brown is the pairing of the atmosphere and the food. On one hand, the food sets a high standard for the dining experience here. With food this good, there are usually expectations of formality, however to my relief this is not the case with Cook and Brown. From the super personable wait staff to the creative but unassuming menu options, and the casual yet hip decoration Cook and Brown makes you really settle in and feel at home. Its this coziness that dominated the entire dining experience and will bring me back for more in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good, atmosphere not goodPawtucketDaveDined on 9/20/2014They have redone the interior of the restaurant. Previously it was pleasant with a feeling of quality, nice tables, 4 tops (square). they put in a bench along the wall and have two tops lined up against it. I assume it is to give them flexibility for parties. All the tables were two tops. The bench was uncomfortable and the wall art blah. Service was good. i ordered a Tanqueray 10 martini. Good. the bill came and it was broken out as $11 for Tanqueray, $2 for martini pour and $1 for ordering it dry!. I questioned the dry when i got the bill and they took off the $1. Why not just charge $13? Even that is a bit pricey for the size received. Food was good. Cod and Risotto. Nothing left to take home.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Small menu but always able to find something I like. Food combinations are unusual but again very pleasing. Very nice wine list. Service is extremely pleasant.Special Features:
- Great Sunday Night SupperMojoVIPDined on 9/7/2014Cook and Brown has a special 3 course family-style supper on Sunday nights. We tried it this week and it was great. They are flexible about what they will serve, asking you if you have any allergies or foods that you don't want to eat. One of our party is a pescetarian so they served us a fried oyster appetizer and fish entree. I highly recommend going to Cook and Brown for Sunday night supper. They also have interesting wines and outstanding cocktails.Special Features:
- Good food hot environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The food was delicious! My only thing I'd change is I'd have them buy fans. They said that the AC was fully cranked up, but both my date and I were sweating throughout the entire meal. I still like the food but we were definitely having to drink a ton of water and even put ice on our skin just to cool down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Hot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Without air conditioning, it was difficult to enjoy the meal. Menu selections were made with the oppressive heat in mind and that felt limiting. Food OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aug 16JMfoodiesVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had another wonderful meal here. Attentive service. Inventive craft cocktails .The bartender aims to please. Locally sourced food. The menu changes often. A real Plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014They always deliver a great, seasonal cocktail list. Love them.Special Features:
- Amazing!JessicaDined on 8/8/2014Our dinner at Cook & Brown Public House was fantastic. The food was absolutely delicious and the ambiance was great.Special Features:
- Once is Not Enough!RobertDined on 8/2/2014We have had the pleasure of eating at Cook & Brown twice in two days! Different visiting friends wanted a special meal; C & B gave us exactly that! All eight meals were presented with a flourish by friendly waitstaff who were prompt and professional. I enjoyed two appetizers one night: smoked bluefish and potato fritters (crispy out, smoky/steamy in) and fried squid (fresh, perfectly cooked). Next night it was corn and smoked mussel soup (very fresh, popcorn and tomato garnish!) with a side of beets & horseradish (surprisingly yellow beets!). Others had steak tips, (which they would not share), steamed mussels with cider (not a scrap left) grilled corn on the cob (looked tasty). Drinks (creative and tasty), beers & wine, all excellent.Special Features:
- MehmehmehDined on 7/29/2014Out of just a few menu options I chose the gnocchi with "carrot top pesto" but was served a very fennel-heavy dish (think licorice) with six or seven huge chunks of gnocchi the size of strawberries surrounded by pickled carrots and crushed almonds. On the whole very dry and there was no mention of fennel on the menu or I would've known to avoid it. Disappointing dish and everyone else at the table reported feeling pretty "meh" about theirs.
- The following 284 reviews are from the Cook & Brown Public House reviews archive.
- Good first time visitAcewuzhere001Dined on 7/23/2014I recently ate at C & B with a friend. The rotating menu had many items that all looked great. I had the pan seared cod, which was tasty. It was served in a light chowder-type broth with some small potatoes and a small dice of some other veg. My friend had the C & B burger, which was delicious. The fried squid appetizer was excellent. Friendly service and a cool, casual vibe made a nice outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnermacdougDined on 7/17/2014We hit C&B for Providence restaurant week, and once again we came away happy. Bit of a heavy menu for summer, but the lamb rillettes and pork bun appetizers were undeniably tasty, and the mussels & cod cake entrée seemed like light fare next to them but was equally good. (The bluefish fritter appetizer we always get was a knocked hit yet again). Good thing the portions weren't huge, because we tended to polish off what we were given. The confit chicken was the exception - it was so rich it was hard for our ladies to finish their plates, but every bite was bliss. I highly recommend having the bartender's choice for a drink, too - we did it again and were thoroughly pleased with our astringent, lime-cilantro, curaçao-infused concoction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cook and brownOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014i love this restaurant and was so glad to discover it the first week i moved to providence several years ago. they have excellent cocktails and a delicious brunch--perfect for anyone looking for a sit down after the summer farmer's market in lippitt park. dinner is also very good, with a frequently changing menu according to the season.Special Features:
- Great FindCCbudVIPDined on 6/8/2014We had never been to this part of Providence and was very pleased with our dinner experience at Cook & Brown. The food was excellent as well as the service. We were early for our dinner reservation so we took a walk at the park across the street. That was very nice also. We'll definately return to Cook & Brown during our next visit to Providence and explore more of the Hope Street district.Special Features:
- PortionsJenniferDined on 6/6/2014The half size portion of the pasta was a bit small, but tasted really good.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014We do not dine out often, usually preferring our own cooking at home. Every once in a while we will go out and splurge...and meet disappointment. Not at Cook & Brown. Cuisine there is smart and inventive. Handmade gnocchi is not glopped with sauce ruining its delicate textures, but thoughtfully tossed with pistachios and grapefruit nuggets (really! it works!) adding to the jazzy texture. Broccoli rabe with breadcrumbs: simple, fresh, spot on. Smoky pork/beef ragu that is densely flavorful. Everything is serving in an unpretentious manner by knowledgably informed wait staff. Could not recommend this restaurant highly enough.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAmigasDined on 5/21/2014On a recent Wednesday night, two friends and I made our first visit to Cook & Brown. We had made reservations weeks in advance for a 5:30 pm dinner - they opened at 5:00. We were told that that 3 of the 4 side dishes on the menu were "sold out". This left only roasted beets as an option. After all I had read on previous reviews about the fresh local ingredients, I was very disappointed. More so since I had arrived early and had time to stroll the Farmers Market adjacent to the restaurant at Lippit Park. I wanted to suggest that the cook should go get some potatoes at least. We did not stay for dinner.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemDrPlasmaVIPDined on 5/11/2014Fantastic brunch at a very reasonable price. The best home fries I've had in years. Probably the best scratch bar in Providence. A super talented crew makes every visit great!Special Features:
- disappoimtedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Could have been much better. An expensive restaurant run by people who do not understand the quality or experience necessary in running an expensive restaurant. Not bad.....but disappointed that our experience was not that good.Special Features:
- Alaways a great night out for dinneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014Always great food and service. Extensive wine list. You have to be a wine connoisseur to follow it but the waiter and waitress are always very helpful. Have been there a number of times and have always had a great meal and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and lovelyGostenhoferDined on 4/4/2014My boyfriend and I had a wonderful meal last night. Like last time I was seated in the best table (all windows, up front). I'm very flattered to have been seated here twice. The place is actually quite cavernous and the more recessed tables aren't as charming. The opentable menu wasn't up to date, which was unfortunate because I was looking forward to ordering the monkfish (which, in all fairness is going out of season now). The food wasn't as sublime as I remember but it was nonetheless very good. The highlight was the parsnip soup, which I enjoyed a great deal, as well as a unique wine from grapes harvested in the rich volcanic soil of Sicily's Mt. Etna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond exceptional !!!!!luv2eatwellVIPDined on 3/29/2014this is our favorite restaurant in providence !! food is superb ,the servers and staff are wonderful !! the bartenders deserve special praise on their own. The very unique cocktails they are mixing up are exquisite !! you can tell the whole crew is proud of what they serve and that makes it an all around great experience. the menu is always changing so each visit is like a new experience! thank you Cook and Brown for another great evening !!!! kudos to chef Nemo ,one of the best !!Special Features:
- The service was excellent.JojoDined on 3/6/2014The service was excellent. Wines by the glass were very limited, and there were no California or other American wines at all. Menu was also very limited (4). The Bibb salad was delicious. The ambience was not great. The lighting is very poor.
- Wednesday Burgers, Beer and BourbonPvdfoodsnobsVIPDined on 2/19/2014This review is only really for the $20 burgers, beers and bourbon special on weds night. And yes, you get both beed AND bourbon. The burger was delicious, perfectly cooked, beef that is tender and well seasoned and comes with a side of chips (actual chips, not fries). This is a great deal! I have been to C&B for regular dinner and brunch before as well. I wasn't too impressed by the dinner but brunch was good. I will definitely be returning for dinner as the menu does change and perhaps I went on an off day. Also they have AMAZING craft cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to previous visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The wait for our reserved table was too long so we took seats at the bar. The bartender was excellent--cheery, and accommodating. And the cocktail, the 'Frenet Me Not," was well balanced and delicious. But the kitchen was so backed up that our dinner stretched over three hours, and not a single dish was a real winner. The uni custard was relatively flavorless, the pasta overcooked, the short-rib dish too dark and rich (braised meat, crispy chips AND sweetbreads?!). The meal was not without its brighter points--The Beets, Pork Torchon, and Fluke (which I believe had been switched to Scallops) offered thoughtful, often tasty bites, but still suffered from errors in cooking, balance, or general flavor. I know this chef and kitchen are better.
- I was very excited to go tombidDined on 2/14/2014I was very excited to go to the restaurant, but we had a pretty terrible experience here on Valentine's Day. First, we had a reservation, but still had to stand awkwardly at the packed bar for 15 minutes before getting our table. Then it began - 2 and a half hours of waiting. Waiting for our order to be taken, waiting at least 30 minutes between each course if not more. Worse, several courses were lackluster and seemed to be thrown together. I think the kitchen was extremely overwhelmed. When we got there, the Valentine's special steak was already sold out, probably because the special menu was less than exciting. My "ricotta cake" dessert tasted like someone cut up some store-bought angel food cake and tossed it on to a spilt fruit cup.Special Features:
- Valentine's Pre fixejustdessertsDined on 2/14/2014Even with only three options for dinner, the service was very slow. Reservations were being seated 40 minutes after their reservation time. At one point, more than half the tables had no food. The table next to us, who ordered steak, waited 2 hours for their entree. A mushroom dish was flavorless but flabby and slimy. The food overall was fair to bad. Even the fresh bread was so tough it was difficult to bite through while maintaining my table manners. And one would think that for a dinner that cost $150 for 2 we would be provided with enough butter to cover at least one piece of bread and not have to sink to arm wrestling over the tiny pat of butter. The wine, however, was excellent, which prevented the evening from being a complete loss.
- Great meal, fantastic servicefbotDined on 2/1/2014The food at Cook & Brown is amazing. The portions are just right and the flavors will bowl you over. Do not leave without trying the rice pudding with salted caramel for dessert. As for the ambiance, the bar and restaurant area is one big open room. The noise can be a bit much when the place is nearly full, like on a Saturday night. But the wonderful food and excellent service makes up for the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am always in search formyopinionDined on 1/25/2014I am always in search for a great nearby restaurant that serves an interesting menu using fresh ingredients and local flavors with out costing a fortune. Brown and Cook reminds me of the interesting neighborhood restaurants nestled in Russian HIll in San Francisco. A place that you could dine at a couple nights a week and never get bored with the menu or go broke. The food was excellent. The staff was very knowledgable and the owner Nemo is very involved in your dining experience ready to answer any question you may have or make a great recommendation.Special Features:
- Great find.JHCHVIPDined on 1/17/2014Excellent food, excellent service, can't ask for much more than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.