3423 N Southport Ave
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
Latin / SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coobah.com/
- Phone: 7735282220
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Closed Monday. Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Madla/Jonny Arrington
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant and we will be happy to tailor a catering package that will fit your needs and budget.
- Special Events: Tuesdays $6 pitchers of our signature Sangria Wednesdays 1/2 price bottles on ALL bottled wine Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter @ CoobahTasty for exclusive deals and specials
A word from Coobah
Coobah has been serving an innovative blend of Latin and Asian cuisines since 2002. We feature a seasonal menu with one of a kind dishes, signature cocktails, distinctive wine and exemplary service. Our energetic and romantic ambiance is perfect for a group of friends or going out on a date. We also offer FREE parking for our guests behind the restaurant and a beautiful outdoor cafe during the warmer months.Continued
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter @ CoobahTasty for exclusive deals and specials.
We appreciate your patronage of Coobah and other small, local businesses.
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter @ CoobahTasty for exclusive deals and specials.
We appreciate your patronage of Coobah and other small, local businesses.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coobah reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (14)special occasion (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (9)great for brunch (9)romantic (9)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- We will miss this restaurant!RebaDined on 8/15/2014This is, hands down, my husband's and my favorite restaurant in Chicago. Fabulous food, great (and friendly) service, delicious drinks. We love the ambiance and everything about it. The only negatives -- we never lived close enough to stop by for a drink or appetizer, and tonight is its last night of service. We will be sad to see it close.Special Features:
- COOBAH WILL BE MISSED!DebGVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I were lucky enough to get a table this Friday night, 2 days before Coobah closed it's doors for good tonight. As always, the meal was great, excellent mojitos, our server, who we've had several times, was very good and it's really too bad our neighborhood is going to lose a restaurant with character! You will be missed Coobah!Special Features:
- vsvsDined on 8/3/2014this was our second visit to coobah after over 6 years which then was a nice, cozy, intimate dinner. this time around it was brunch. service was slow. took over 15 mins and one remidner to get my mimosa. food was o.k. nothing great esp as comapred to the dinner section.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014Coobah is one of our favorite Southport spots - the food is always solid and the mojitos are delicious! So sad to hear they'll be closing their doors in August. (The building is being converted into condos so they were forced them out.) If you can make it before they close, I highly recommend it! Some of the dishes we love are the shrimp appetizer, the mushroom dumplings, the sandwich, and both beef dishes (short rib and steak) - you can't really go wrong. One of the servers told us the owner will be trying something new - opening a pizza restaurant near Music Box on north Southport.Special Features:
- Great DrinksSuburbanGuyDined on 7/18/2014Great drinks and just ok food. They kept our reservation even though we were 20 minutes late which was very nice of them. Wait staff were swamped with customers so service was ok given the crowd. I'd go for drinks but the food wasn't as inspired as other reviews noted. It 's a good local spot but not a destination.Special Features:
- Delicious - will miss it!happyeatsDined on 7/11/2014Delicious as always! I will be very sad when Coobah closes in August. A great variety of plates with various flavorings. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to see them leaveJohn60613VIPDined on 7/11/2014We were saddened to learn the days are numbered for Coobah. They will be out of business next month when their lease is up. Glad we got one last chance to dine there.
- I will miss itdinerDined on 7/3/2014I have been going to Coobah since it opened about 13 years ago and am so bummed it's closing! It's so unique in the neighborhood and I hope to see it reopen at some point. I recommend getting several small plates and an entree if you are in a small group. Then you get to try lots of different things. Not to be missed: Seared Scallops and the Jibarito. They also have amazing sangria. And the people couldn't be nicer. It's a gem all around...go before it goes away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doofenshmirtz1Dined on 6/24/2014Good food, courteous and attentive staff, a great first date restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood StapleDebGVIPDined on 6/14/2014We've been going to Coobah for years now - always a great meal and service. This time we were able to get a table outside and it was nice - not as loud as it can get inside. Would recommend to anyone who hasn't been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberGreta84Dined on 6/7/2014I was always a fan of Coobah but it had been a couple of years since I'd been. I was excited to go back since it had been a while. Unfortunately the food just wasn't what I remembered. The beet salad was yummy, but the scallops were really rubbery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 316 reviews are from the Coobah reviews archive.
- Always excellentBrettVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our favorite Southport Corridor restaurant. Been for brunch and dinner multiple times. It is consistently perfect food.Special Features:
- Grandma6Dined on 5/30/2014This was my second time here and it was just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors!VoulaVIPDined on 5/24/2014Appetizers were great especially the shrimp with roasted garlic cloves. Entrees had several flavors that worked well together. Really enjoed the pork and spicy BBQ sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014If you are unfamiliar with either Cuban or Spanish food, you might not be disappointed. We had a 7:00 reservation & were literally out on the street hailing a cab at 8:05 that was after waiting 15 minutes to be acknowledged by the waiter. We were rushed through every part of the meal. They brang our bottle of wine with the cocktails, a side dish to our entrees with the appetizers, tried to take away drinks before we finished, as well as food plates before we had finished. The Zarzuela was mainly tomatoes and the hanger steak was rubbery and chewy. We wasted a cab ride from downtown based on the Open Table description. Not reflective of the actual restaurant at all.
- ExcellentBrettVIPDined on 5/14/2014Just moved to the Southport Corridor and have already been here 3 times. Once for brunch, twice for dinner. Food is amazing - it takes a little while after you order but it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun brunch!GraceBKVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had Mother's Day brunch at Coobah and can't wait to try dinner too! Their version of eggs Benedict with arepa instead of English muffin were awesome. Ditto the spicy tater tots! Great homemade sausage. Our mimosas were generous and well made. Not a weak watered down version. The only negative was that I wasn't a fan of the coffee. I think that is personal taste. Another plus is that it is so convenient to the Southport el stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food for a Night Out/Drinkstmo9dVIPDined on 5/10/2014Get the Jibarito and you won't be sorry. Also this is the place for Mojitos and great food. The shrimp is awesome.Special Features:
- Solid Neighborhood Gem!DebGVIPDined on 4/15/2014I've never had a bad meal at Coobah - top notch food and good portions as well. The drinks are very good (best mojitos!) and the service has always been very good!Special Features:
- Rave Reviews Were RightdonjoVIPDined on 4/12/2014We were drawn here by the great reviews, and can now confirm their enthusiasm for Coobah. Wonderful vibe arising from host/owner Jimmy pervades entire experience. Small staff very hard pressed to handle overflow crowd, but still positive in the process. And the food is wonderful. The chicken with plantain appetizer and the short rib entrée will bring us back. Nothing fancy just good food, good people, and an upbeat atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Latin FoodNancyVIPDined on 3/29/2014Three of us went for dinner. We had 3 small plates ~ homemade guacamole & chips (a little bland), seared scallops (delicious) & fondito (very good). We then shared a big plate ~ the special beef short rib with cornbread & apple slaw (a decent potion size of beef & very flavorful, the cornbread was good but dry & very little apple slaw served but it was delicious). We ordered a side of plantains which were good. The mixed drink Black & Stormy (ginger beer & rum) was fantastic but it took a long time for drinks to come. We drank water throughout the meal while waiting for our second round of drinks. The prices are not bad for the potion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Neighborhood GemDebGVIPDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood and everytime we go to Coobah we have a great meal - have never had a bad one. The sevice has always been very good as well. The drinks are tasty as well! Definitely try it out sometime!Special Features:
- Perfect Date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014My boyfriend and I visited Coobah's for his birthday on a Friday night. We had an amazing time - food was great, service was excellent, and it's the perfect vibrant yet romantic atmosphere! Definitely recommend the short ribs! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best short ribs I've ever hadAndyVIPDined on 3/7/2014This was our first visit and I thought the short ribs were the best I've ever tasted (lean, flavorful and served alongside a peppered cornbread). There were good choices of windes by the glass and quality liquors. The dulce cheesecake was outstanding too. Since we came from the suburbs, we appreciated the parking available in the lot behind the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coobah is the perfect locationkcarr71Dined on 2/22/2014Coobah is the perfect location for an intimate meal, whether it's catch up time with a close friend or date night with your significant other. You can choose from tapas portions or full entrees depending on your hunger level. My favorite dish is the seared scallops with the butternut squash. The Fundido is fantastic as well. The service team are fast and friendly. They are knowledgeable about their menu and will recommend the best dish to go along with your drink :) I highly recommend Coobah.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, savory neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2014Delicious brunch, love love love it! Got the biscuits and gravy - the chorizo in the gravy makes the dish really stand out. My friend got the crab cake benedict - also delicious. The crab cakes were fresh, sweet and moist. Would definitely recommend this place for brunch. I'm excited to come back to try their dinner menu!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We had a group of 11 to celebrate my birthday. The food was fantastic and the server was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RudeFoodlover22Dined on 2/14/2014Servers were extremely rude. Don't get an attitude when I change my order less than 5 minutes after placing it. That's your job. Also, don't rudely tell me to "move ANYTHING on the table!" when bringing me my food. There's a polite way to ask a guest to do something. So disappointing. I've received better service at Ihop.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant in ChicagoRebaDined on 2/14/2014Ever since my (now) husband and I stumbled across Coobah 5 years ago, it has become the place that we go when we know we're looking for pure, relaxed enjoyment. The ambiance is great and the staff is perfection. The mojitos are out of this world good and every dish has been great. I recommend the jibarito appetizer and churros for dessert. I have actually never had churros that I liked until coming to Coobah. Of note, the tables are very close to one another and the restaurant is fairly small. This is not the place to come if you want to have a really private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmospheremarieDined on 2/14/2014Coobah is a small Cuban restaurant in the neighborhood I've lived in for the past two years. The food is great, the noise level/lighting are lively without being over-the-top. My only complaint is that the tables are very close together, which can make walking around a bit tough! I take guests and visitors here all the time.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day...what'd ya say!?FudnDrinkDined on 2/14/2014My bad to take my bf to Coobah for VDay dinner. The food was very good-the jibarito melted in your mouth, the sugar cane caesar was unique in its sweetness. But the following did not make for a romantic experience: The tables were tight. I enjoyed having to listen to the conversation between the musclehead and his gluten-intolerant, carb-counting gf sitting next to us. The music was just too loud. But, if the music was softer, I would have heard more about glutengirl's exercise regimen-ugh! The waiter was nice and offered great food recommendations, but had a penchant for stealthily interrupting with his "How's everything?" And does my water need to be refilled after every sip? Coobah is great for a standard dinner out, but not for VDay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We shared about ten differentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/13/2014We shared about ten different items and everyone was delicious! Service was great - can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!CheezeheadDined on 2/9/2014I was in town visiting friends and they wanted to check out this place since they lived in the neighborhood. It was a GREAT Sunday brunch with Mimosas, french toast, biscuits and gravy and even salmon slices. Just loved this little gem near Wrigglyville. My only complaint has nothing to do with the restaurant but the city of Chicago. I guess there aren't any winter parking restrictions because if you don't find street parking, good luck parallel parking in one of the large snow banks on the side streets. It looked like most cars had been parked there and never moved since first snow.Special Features:
- Fun Latin fusionLakeviewdinerDined on 2/7/2014The food was tasty and varied, including a number of Mexican, Cuban, and other Latin traditions. The restaurant's claims to Asian inspirations, however, were hard to see with the exception of the dumplings and edamame dishes. Still, if you are in the mood for some Latin fusion, this is a great place. Also, the waitstaff was attentive and accommodating to dietary restrictions (gluten free). All in all, this is a great restaurant that I'm sure I'll return to and will recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun night with friendscitygirlDined on 1/26/2014I took a group of friends out to dinner at Coobah. It was a cold night in the city, and I was immediately impressed by the warm atmosphere in the restaurant. It made me forget about the snow outside. Our watress was very attentive and knew the menu well. Since it was our first time at the restaurant, she was able to make several recommendations. Everything we ordered was right on the mark. The flavors of each dish were very unique and among the four of us, we got to sample a nice variety. The meats were all wonderfully seasoned and very tender. Although it was a quiet night when we were out, the resaurant felt warm and friendly. I plan to go back in the near future and would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WARMTracyDined on 1/8/2014This place is so easy to get to, right off the El, and across the street from the best ice cream place EVER, Jeni's. We had planned on going for ice cream after dinner but everything was so delicious we ended up ordering dessert too, and were too full! :-) The fusion of asian and latin foods is perfect, for two of our favorite kinds of foods….. Loved it!!!! Very cozy and warm atmosphere too….loved the two tv's with blazing fireplaces…..I swear I felt warmer with that horrible weather outside, just looking at it. Wish we lived closer and could just come in and warm up at their bar. LOVED the individually made margarita..hint of orange fantastic. Drew…food was amazing! Also, was worried about street parking but they have spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedCubadeliveredDined on 1/4/2014Traveled through some pretty nasty weather to get there, but worth the trip. Food was a treat and service was outstanding drinks however were somewhat steep. I will definitely drop by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso BrunchFrenchisDelishDined on 1/4/2014The food was so perfect. Everyone was very happy with their orders. We all got a few drinks as - I got the paloma which was fine(not the best I've ever had). I'd say the best drink for flavor alone was the mamosa fresa - fresh strawberries, and a good serving of champagne. Out only complaint was the server. They were not happy to be around us, and did not even ask if we wanted more drinks or dessert and basically threw the bill at us...but the busser kept the coffee coming(which was also quite tasty), so that counteracted. Guessing our waiter was just having a bad moment. Overall good experience - definitely worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party7BirthdayMenDined on 1/1/2014We had a great NYE brunch. My French toast was served less than warm and was very soggy/under cooked. Everyone else loved their mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okMMooreDined on 12/31/2013I went for New Year's Eve and it was ok, but I expected a little more. Maybe my expectations was too high based on the reviews I read before going. I had a Sangria and it was good and the Hanger Steak with Toffee Caramel Cheesecake. The steak wasn't prepared to my expectations and the cheesecake was flavorless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.