1320 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.contigosf.com/
- Phone: 4152850250
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brett Emerson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Contigo
Contigo is a Spanish and Catalan tapas restaurant in the Noe Valley neighborhood of San Francisco. Our menu features rustic dishes inspired by the vivid flavors of Barcelona. In addition, we offer artisanal Spanish and American hams and a daily Catalan coca (flatbread) from our wood burning oven. We cook everything from scratch using the products of our local, organic, and humane farmers, ranchers, fishermen, and artisans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Contigo - Best Restaurants in Noe Valley ›
Contigo reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)fit for foodies (92)special occasion (37)notable wine list (32)romantic (26)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (23)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Nice but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014I came here with two other adults and two toddlers. The staff was warm, attentive and helpful - very professional. The menu was interesting and the food was tasty. The bill, however, was much too high. These are tapas...very small plates, yet they are priced like entrees in other restaurants. The pricing does not encourage the sharing of many plates. Despite how well I liked the food, ambience and staff, I won't return because it is not worth the money.Special Features:
- Always a great meal at ContigoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014My party of 4 went on Tuesday evening: paella night. We had the paella, which was preceded by 4 lovely appetizers. The food is always very imaginative and well prepared and the service is friendly and capable. I am always up for going to Contigo.Special Features:
- It was OK...ganymede1Dined on 10/19/2014We've heard about Contigo and looked forward to our first dining experience here. It has a nice urban atmosphere with a cozy patio for outdoor dining. Although we hoped we could try their paella, we realized that you have to come on Tuesdays for that. We both enjoyed their appetizer - with tomato sauce on crusty bread, and also tasty Albondigas (meatballs). Unfortunately, we weren't impressed with main courses. It wasn't particularly a busy night, but it took for a long time for the food to arrive and we became inpatient. It's quite pricy and the portions are petite, so we filled ourselves with extra bread.Special Features:
- Place has a bad sit accommodationAcme2Dined on 10/15/2014Summary Food hard to understand the menu Service bad Tables too close for you enjoy your own meal without the person next you hit you w their elbow or a hear this woman talking non stop Hostess couldn't find my reservation made me feel like she was doing me a favor sitting us Glass of wine -price too high I will never go back
- Never a bad meal!Amy1VIPDined on 10/5/2014Always delicious and great service. The Cava sangria was amazing on such a hot night.Special Features:
- A welcome addition to Noe ValleyLarryDined on 10/5/2014It's great to have a full on tapas restaurant in the heart of Noe Valley. Casual ambiance, great wine list, knowledgeable and attentive staff, topped off by flavorful classic Spanish bar fare. I've added it to local dining establishments I'd gladly recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good food, tired menuAlanSFDined on 10/4/2014Had to wait nearly a half hour for a reservation -- with no seating at the bar, no wine comped -- but other than that it was an enjoyable experience. We've been to Contigo many times, and anything we've ordered has always been good, but their menu rarely changes, offers few "entree" choices, and can be a little one-note, as Spanish cuisine in general can be.Special Features:
- Amazing foodmobocheDined on 9/30/2014I live in the neighborhood and despite having heard good things about Contigo, I had resisted a visit. Maybe it's the somewhat cheesy name that deterred me? In any case, I finally went for a celebratory weekday dinner, and the meal was among the best I've had in recent memory. We ordered the melon con jamon (DELICIOUS), the goat cheese salad (DELICIOUS), the pescaditos fritos (good but probably would skip next time) and the squid and beans (OMG). We ordered vermouths for our drinks, and though they cost more than 2x what they do in Spain, they were delicious. Our outdoor table was pleasant (despite the awkward second date fight-conversation happening next to us). Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wow!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Took my friend for her birthday, we decided on the tasting menu: chef's selection of 7 of the night's best dishes (dessert not included). All dishes were sooooo good; we tried couple different Spanish red wines from many on the menu with our dishes, and liked them all. The Croqueta and Churros with TCHO chocolate sauce were must. Delicious!Special Features:
- Authentic ingredients & dishesmjafernanDined on 9/19/2014This is the second time I've gone in the last month and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that while the menu still contained some favorites it had also varied the menu a bit. I continue to be impressed by the authenticity of the products served. As someone whose family is from Spain and who has personally lived there, I consider myself a pretty good judge of the food served. Contigo does a great job of striking a balance between serving quality ingredients and a still reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great sardines from Monterey; fried potatoes with aioli are excellent; lamb and goat cheese salad are fantastic. Wonderful service.Special Features:
- Alright placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/18/2014It's ok...some dishes took a long time to come, some did not....worth the wait? If u have time n not hungry.....
- Great new findchiharveDined on 9/18/2014A friend posted his visit on Facebook and the food looked and sounded so good that I had to go directly to the website. I made a stop there on my next visit to San Francisco (from Chicago) and was not disappointed. My dining partner and I even had to share the smallest plates because they looked too good not to split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite in my old 'hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014My, my, my..I've eaten here several times now and I find myself with a big grin on my face. The service is attentive without being too overbearing and they were quick to answer any questions about what was on the menu. We had a carafe of white wine to complement our selections from the small plate menu. What I like so much about this place is it serves good tasting food. It's that simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catalan Food in Noe ValleyJonasfVIPDined on 9/14/2014Contigo offers delicious and creative catalan food. The food, served tapas style, is flavorful and delicious. The tapas are large enough to share. Not many fresh greens, but lots of seafood options. Sardine and anchovies bocarones are our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable!McowherdDined on 9/13/2014Found this place from a local and it's one of my favorites now. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GutenbergGutenbergDined on 9/10/2014This place is one of the great neighborhood restaurants in San Francisco. The food is amazing and just gets better with each visit. Wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious As AlwaysSomeOpinionsVIPDined on 8/31/2014Contigo is one of my favorite spots for tapas. The rotating menu always includes fresh, seasonal choices, good for omnivores and vegetarians alike. I often have to stop myself from ordering another plate. While the food is always good, I have found that the service can be hit or miss. I rely heavily on the suggestions and timing of my server, especially when it comes to pairing wines and bringing the food in the right order and pace. I have had some real knockout meals, especially sitting at the bar and having the bar manager pick out some of their most interesting and exciting wines to pair with my plates. It's these experiences that keep me coming back and recommending this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great nightRossVDined on 8/21/2014The entire staff were courteous and friendly, the food was impeccable, and they were so sweet to give my wife and me glasses of cava (we were celebrating our anniversary).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Very well run restaurant. Tapas with flair. I particularly liked the fig, peach, Jamon, cheese plate and the tripe with chick peas.Special Features:
- Festive Patio + Fun Food2YourHealthDined on 8/8/2014Fun meal on the covered back patio. More than warm enough despite the cool SF summer night. The patio is MUCH less noisy than dining inside which was important to us. Raciones were sizable and delicious; we especially liked the corn and mushroom dish and the fig, peach, and jamon salad. House sangria was good, but I might opt for a glass of red next time. Only downside was that our drinks and bread didn't arrive until our first dish was brought out, after which the food came quite (maybe even a little too) quickly.Special Features:
- Fabulous Tapas!charlottesvillefoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed every bite of these inventive, beautifully presented plates. Although we arrived 20 minutes early and the restaurant was very crowded, the host found a spot for us in the attractive indoor garden. Especially good: peaches and figs with fresh cheese, honey and serrano ham was incredible, as was the burstingly fresh corn with local mushrooms. Nice wines by the glass and attentive service. Two yums up!Special Features:
- Great food, service and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2014I've eaten here at least a half dozen times. It's always a great dining experience. Excellent food, terrific service and the atmosphere is the right balance of lively and intimate for a gathering with friends. I wouldn't say it's a romantic setting.Special Features:
- Amazing food, pricey wineDGSFDined on 8/1/2014We always love the food, but we think the prices charged for the wine are a ripp-off. If they adjusted those prices, I would be going back at least twice a month as their food is fantastic. Instead we only show up twice a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in noe valleyRamanDined on 7/31/2014One of our favorite restaurants - consistently good food and service. Innovative cooking using fresh seasonal ingredients. Highly recommend covered patio seting in the back.Special Features:
- Great Flavors, Amazing Dining!BayAreaFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Great ambiance and amazing flavors in every bite! Accommodating staff and beautiful place for a group, on a romantic date or even your family dining spot! Would definitely recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasOwetsuDined on 7/26/2014Every dish was delicious. Some stood out more than others and no bad or mediocre dishes. Enjoyed suggested wines. Server was helpful in deciding and providing tastes. Overall great experience with family. My foodie 11 and 13 year olds loved many of the dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food lacks flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014I love the ambiance here but the food was not greatSpecial Features:
- Always hits the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014Contigo never disappoints when we are in the mood for sharing multiple plates of delightful dishes. Plus the waiters are always delightful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a-la-carte. Not great paella.PepperVIPDined on 7/15/2014We go to Contigo all the time, and have never been disappointed with their Carte. The last time, we tried their Paella Tuesday special for $34/person. The side dishes are outstanding as usual, but the paella itself was a bit disappointing. The seafood is super fresh and tasty, but the dish as a whole was not authentic and a bit salty. Next time we'll stick to the regular menu.Special Features:
- Neighborhood favrtayurvedaDined on 7/15/2014Food is consistently great. One or two of the owner couple is always there , and the wine manager is very knowledgable about Spanish wine..we even like the food better then what we we had in Spain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish Treasure in Noe valleyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014The halibut dish was to die for as was most else such as the "gazpacho salad," meatballs, hot chocolate with churros, and the flan. Nice Spanish wines.Special Features:
- Limited menuChraggieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Menu was a bit limited that evening. Salmon was the star of the night. Not enough selection, more seafood please?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seatingJf021261VIPDined on 7/5/2014I know its a small space but the only issue I have with the restaurant is the seating arrangements. They really cram as many people into the space as possible so if you want to have a conversation without hearing your fellow diners seating on either side of you that is impossible!! Otherwise the food,staff, ect... is outstanding .Special Features:
- Small portions/little descriptiondecourseydaveDined on 6/27/2014Ordered the tasting menu w/description as served which server reccommended. Hardly happened. some plates mumbled by spanish speaking busboy; others so fast by servers in a big hurry. Portions were too small for the price and noise level even outside was a problem. Doubt if I'll return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait and WatchfoodsfunDined on 6/26/2014Nice ambiance. Large wine list, even by the glass. We had the 7 course tasting menu, which was a lot of fun and very affordable. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. Our server didn't explain the dishes he was delivering, which really spoiled the experience of a tasting menu,when you didn't know what you were getting. Also, the dishes were delivered too fast. We had 2 dishes before our wine was delivered. This also spoiled the experience. If these two issues were corrected, I would consider this place a find.Special Features:
- The following 622 reviews are from the Contigo reviews archive.
- my new fav restaurant right nowyukariyDined on 6/24/2014great food and service for the price range. I def.recommend to people!Special Features:
- Great TapasLoveDosaDined on 6/22/2014The portions of the food were perfect. I really liked the appetizers. We tried sardine with toast and it was amazing. We also loved the grilled squid. It was so good.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceDmk65Dined on 6/22/2014Read about Contigo on several sites and made a reservation- I am not an expert on SF dining but what a fun place I the Castro. Great food, very authentic Spanish styles dishes, good service and a fun dining experience. The price was very reasonable and the small paste concept is a blast.Special Features:
- yumdannysfDined on 6/21/2014A spanish restaurant that certainly puts a smile on your face for amazing food ; )))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.