1320 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.contigosf.com/
- Phone: 4152850250
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brett Emerson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Contigo
Contigo is a Spanish and Catalan tapas restaurant in the Noe Valley neighborhood of San Francisco. Our menu features rustic dishes inspired by the vivid flavors of Barcelona. In addition, we offer artisanal Spanish and American hams and a daily Catalan coca (flatbread) from our wood burning oven. We cook everything from scratch using the products of our local, organic, and humane farmers, ranchers, fishermen, and artisans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Contigo - Best Restaurants in Noe Valley ›
Contigo reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (102)special occasion (43)notable wine list (37)great for outdoor dining (32)romantic (26)hot spot (25)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Authentic ingredients & dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014This is the second time I've gone in the last month and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that while the menu still contained some favorites it had also varied the menu a bit. I continue to be impressed by the authenticity of the products served. As someone whose family is from Spain and who has personally lived there, I consider myself a pretty good judge of the food served. Contigo does a great job of striking a balance between serving quality ingredients and a still reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alright placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014It's ok...some dishes took a long time to come, some did not....worth the wait? If u have time n not hungry.....
- Great new findchiharveDined on 9/18/2014A friend posted his visit on Facebook and the food looked and sounded so good that I had to go directly to the website. I made a stop there on my next visit to San Francisco (from Chicago) and was not disappointed. My dining partner and I even had to share the smallest plates because they looked too good not to split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catalan Food in Noe ValleyJonasfVIPDined on 9/14/2014Contigo offers delicious and creative catalan food. The food, served tapas style, is flavorful and delicious. The tapas are large enough to share. Not many fresh greens, but lots of seafood options. Sardine and anchovies bocarones are our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable!McowherdDined on 9/13/2014Found this place from a local and it's one of my favorites now. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GutenbergGutenbergDined on 9/10/2014This place is one of the great neighborhood restaurants in San Francisco. The food is amazing and just gets better with each visit. Wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious As AlwaysSomeOpinionsDined on 8/31/2014Contigo is one of my favorite spots for tapas. The rotating menu always includes fresh, seasonal choices, good for omnivores and vegetarians alike. I often have to stop myself from ordering another plate. While the food is always good, I have found that the service can be hit or miss. I rely heavily on the suggestions and timing of my server, especially when it comes to pairing wines and bringing the food in the right order and pace. I have had some real knockout meals, especially sitting at the bar and having the bar manager pick out some of their most interesting and exciting wines to pair with my plates. It's these experiences that keep me coming back and recommending this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great nightRossVDined on 8/21/2014The entire staff were courteous and friendly, the food was impeccable, and they were so sweet to give my wife and me glasses of cava (we were celebrating our anniversary).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Very well run restaurant. Tapas with flair. I particularly liked the fig, peach, Jamon, cheese plate and the tripe with chick peas.Special Features:
- Festive Patio + Fun Food2YourHealthDined on 8/8/2014Fun meal on the covered back patio. More than warm enough despite the cool SF summer night. The patio is MUCH less noisy than dining inside which was important to us. Raciones were sizable and delicious; we especially liked the corn and mushroom dish and the fig, peach, and jamon salad. House sangria was good, but I might opt for a glass of red next time. Only downside was that our drinks and bread didn't arrive until our first dish was brought out, after which the food came quite (maybe even a little too) quickly.Special Features:
- Fabulous Tapas!charlottesvillefoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed every bite of these inventive, beautifully presented plates. Although we arrived 20 minutes early and the restaurant was very crowded, the host found a spot for us in the attractive indoor garden. Especially good: peaches and figs with fresh cheese, honey and serrano ham was incredible, as was the burstingly fresh corn with local mushrooms. Nice wines by the glass and attentive service. Two yums up!Special Features:
- Great food, service and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2014I've eaten here at least a half dozen times. It's always a great dining experience. Excellent food, terrific service and the atmosphere is the right balance of lively and intimate for a gathering with friends. I wouldn't say it's a romantic setting.Special Features:
- Amazing food, pricey wineDGSFDined on 8/1/2014We always love the food, but we think the prices charged for the wine are a ripp-off. If they adjusted those prices, I would be going back at least twice a month as their food is fantastic. Instead we only show up twice a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in noe valleyRamanDined on 7/31/2014One of our favorite restaurants - consistently good food and service. Innovative cooking using fresh seasonal ingredients. Highly recommend covered patio seting in the back.Special Features:
- Great Flavors, Amazing Dining!BayAreaFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Great ambiance and amazing flavors in every bite! Accommodating staff and beautiful place for a group, on a romantic date or even your family dining spot! Would definitely recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasOwetsuDined on 7/26/2014Every dish was delicious. Some stood out more than others and no bad or mediocre dishes. Enjoyed suggested wines. Server was helpful in deciding and providing tastes. Overall great experience with family. My foodie 11 and 13 year olds loved many of the dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food lacks flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014I love the ambiance here but the food was not greatSpecial Features:
- Always hits the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014Contigo never disappoints when we are in the mood for sharing multiple plates of delightful dishes. Plus the waiters are always delightful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a-la-carte. Not great paella.PepperVIPDined on 7/15/2014We go to Contigo all the time, and have never been disappointed with their Carte. The last time, we tried their Paella Tuesday special for $34/person. The side dishes are outstanding as usual, but the paella itself was a bit disappointing. The seafood is super fresh and tasty, but the dish as a whole was not authentic and a bit salty. Next time we'll stick to the regular menu.Special Features:
- Neighborhood favrtayurvedaDined on 7/15/2014Food is consistently great. One or two of the owner couple is always there , and the wine manager is very knowledgable about Spanish wine..we even like the food better then what we we had in Spain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish Treasure in Noe valleyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014The halibut dish was to die for as was most else such as the "gazpacho salad," meatballs, hot chocolate with churros, and the flan. Nice Spanish wines.Special Features:
- Limited menuChraggieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Menu was a bit limited that evening. Salmon was the star of the night. Not enough selection, more seafood please?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seatingJf021261VIPDined on 7/5/2014I know its a small space but the only issue I have with the restaurant is the seating arrangements. They really cram as many people into the space as possible so if you want to have a conversation without hearing your fellow diners seating on either side of you that is impossible!! Otherwise the food,staff, ect... is outstanding .Special Features:
- Small portions/little descriptiondecourseydaveDined on 6/27/2014Ordered the tasting menu w/description as served which server reccommended. Hardly happened. some plates mumbled by spanish speaking busboy; others so fast by servers in a big hurry. Portions were too small for the price and noise level even outside was a problem. Doubt if I'll return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait and WatchfoodsfunDined on 6/26/2014Nice ambiance. Large wine list, even by the glass. We had the 7 course tasting menu, which was a lot of fun and very affordable. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. Our server didn't explain the dishes he was delivering, which really spoiled the experience of a tasting menu,when you didn't know what you were getting. Also, the dishes were delivered too fast. We had 2 dishes before our wine was delivered. This also spoiled the experience. If these two issues were corrected, I would consider this place a find.Special Features:
- my new fav restaurant right nowyukariyDined on 6/24/2014great food and service for the price range. I def.recommend to people!Special Features:
- Great TapasLoveDosaDined on 6/22/2014The portions of the food were perfect. I really liked the appetizers. We tried sardine with toast and it was amazing. We also loved the grilled squid. It was so good.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceDmk65Dined on 6/22/2014Read about Contigo on several sites and made a reservation- I am not an expert on SF dining but what a fun place I the Castro. Great food, very authentic Spanish styles dishes, good service and a fun dining experience. The price was very reasonable and the small paste concept is a blast.Special Features:
- yumdannysfDined on 6/21/2014A spanish restaurant that certainly puts a smile on your face for amazing food ; )))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine & tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2014Contigo has consistently delivered delicious meals! Great wine list with many reasonably priced options, wonderful variety of foods & proteins. Meal was well paced. Service had a couple minor hiccups but generally was informed & attentive. Favorite dishes: Sardines with avocado on toast Patatas bravas Serrano ham croquettes Meatballs Sautéed chard with pickled raisins & pine nuts Churros with chocolateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesdays are Paella nightlylecassDined on 6/17/2014Check out Contigo on Tuesday nights. You get 4 tapas plates (excellent!) & 2 large pans of delicious paella for a party of 4 for $35. per person. The tapas were the chef's choice, all muy buena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another home run!momjoDined on 6/13/2014My first visit to Contigo was really good. This second was absolutely excellent. It was a lovely evening and we ate on the back patio which is a bit less crowded and noisy than the restaurant. We ordered the tasting menu - seven plates of heaven. Each dish was superb. Despite there being a lot of food, not much was left and we even made room for dessert (try the hot chocolate!). The server was very knowledgable and engaged, allowing us to taste a couple of wines before making our final choice. This really has become one of my favorite SF restaurants.Special Features:
- Delicious and CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2014Interesting, seasonal, well-balanced menu. So great to find inspired Spanish food in SF. Everything we had was delicious. The ambiance is modern, comfortable, relaxing and the outdoor patio charming esp with the early evening light filtering through. I live in the neighborhood and this was my first visit - I'll definitely become a regular!Special Features:
- estupendoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014I am half Spanish, have lived in Spain, love food, want local products and can be picky. The folks at Contigo made me happy : ).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Que viva EspanacbruleeVIPDined on 5/31/2014As someone who has lived in Spain and California this restaurant has a strong Spanish accent working with great fresh Cali ingredients. Each taste is a perfect size and fabulous in flavor. We ordered 5 items and were well satisfied. The patatas bravas should be illegal, the croqueta was perfectly seasoned and cooked, we just loved every taste.Special Features:
- Spain RevisitedmoodeaDined on 5/30/2014We sampled many wonderful Catalon style dishes, especially the white gazpacho, squid, meatballs, churros and butterscotch flan. Great plates for sharing. Very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedPhilly4dinnerDined on 5/30/2014We went to Contigo on our last Friday night in San Francisco. We were disappointed with the food; everything was OK but nothing amazing, certainly not for the price. The service was good and our waitress knew a lot about the wine list. We ordered the chef's tasting menu, the asparagus and squid were cooked very well but the flavors were nothing exciting. We've had better tapas for a lot less on the East Coast. Overall, we were hoping for a lot more, especially for probably one of the most expensive dinners we've ever had.
- Usually much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2014This was our 4th time at Contigo and this was probably the most unmemorable experience. Food was just ok....few dishes I didn't care for. Service was so so.....one of our orders forgotten 'we think' since we had to tell the waiter we never got it, then waited 20 min...never came, so we cancelled order. Sort of an apology by the waiter but definitely a 'not bothered' attitude. Overall, would try it again and hopefully would resume to our original experience, where we thought the food was really good, and service god.Special Features:
- BirdDined on 5/29/2014The food was outstanding. We had dishes that I have had before and they were actually improved in flavor. It is really crowded and noisy which makes conversation more difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Gem!vespajoyDined on 5/27/2014Made a reservation for 5 people a week before and they were able to accommodate us very graciously. The food was delicious, the birthday girl had a lovely time and our service was fantastic!!! I would recommend Contigo to anyone who asks.Special Features: