1320 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.contigosf.com/
- Phone: (415) 285-0250
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brett Emerson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Contigo
Contigo is a Spanish and Catalan tapas restaurant in the Noe Valley neighborhood of San Francisco. Our menu features rustic dishes inspired by the vivid flavors of Barcelona. In addition, we offer artisanal Spanish and American hams and a daily Catalan coca (flatbread) from our wood burning oven. We cook everything from scratch using the products of our local, organic, and humane farmers, ranchers, fishermen, and artisans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Contigo - Best Restaurants in Noe Valley ›
Contigo reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (96)notable wine list (31)special occasion (30)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (23)hot spot (22)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Rich and varied flavors cooked just right!anonymousVIPDined on 11/23/2014The restaurant is located adjacent to the more charming part of Noe Valley and might be overlooked for this reason. But, the modern decor is inviting and esthetically pleasing. Service was friendly and attentive. We were not rushed and the waiter was helpful and excited about the food. We ordered the gem salad, patatas bravas, albondigas, and the chicken tagine. Each dish had interesting and creative depth of flavor. We shared a Death and Taxes beer, a dark and flavorful lager. It was the best food we've had in a while and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapas!EBBrDined on 11/16/2014We chose the 5 tapas to start with, along with a couple of the draft beers on offer. They were all very good quality and since we were sitting at the bar, we could watch them being prepared. The three cheeses we had for desert were good but a bit on the skimpy side (for the $12 price). Overall, we would go there again and think that we would find some good eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED it!Vitalia98Dined on 11/14/2014What an incredible gem this restaurant is! Everything we tried was hit for the whole table... some of my personal favorites: the white gazpacho (unexpected and amazing), little gem salad, the broccoli rabe flatbread and the Alaskan cod (so perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection). Start your meal off with some rosata cava and don't forget the warm chocolate and fresh churros for dessert (heavenly). I love the small plates concept that makes it a perfect place to come with 2, for a cozy romantic dinner or with a group and you have a chance to sample the whole menu! You really get the feeling you have taken a trip to Spain, the wine list is excellent and the staff will provide perfect recommendations for the meal. They are attentive and knowledgeable and the whole environment is inviting and warm. We truly enjoyed our experience and cant wait to share it with more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent TapasKarinushkaDined on 11/12/2014It had been a while since my last visit. A few years to be exact. Contigo is still doing a great job serving innovative tapas, using nothing but the best seasonal ingredients. The delicata salad was just fabulous. The little anchovy skewers were fantastic, and I don't even like anchovy. We also had the delicious tomaquet made with the last tomatoes of the season and olive oil. Thank you Contigo. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfuljcraraVIPDined on 11/8/2014Contigo is consistently excellent in every way. My favorite items on the menu are the little gems salad, sardine & anchovy tapas, meatballs, lamb tagine, garbanzo stew and of course the hot TCHO chocolate with churros! Love the spanish wines and the staffs knowledge about them.Special Features:
- Excellent foodLocaleaterDined on 11/7/2014The food was very good. As a tapas restaurant, the portions are small, but they are imaginatively composed. The wines we had were good, but quite expensive, about $45 per bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ for Ambiance, C+ for PriceNoeDinerDined on 11/5/2014I loved the ambiance at Contigo. The space was gorgeous with classy lighting and a good energy throughout the room. The service was also quite good. Our server was attentive, but not overly so... and the water carafe was always full. The food is fresh and vibrant, but I found it to be overpriced. I especially loved the meatballs and and the squid dish, but the dishes and "bites" really add up on the bill. We spent $130 for a party of 2 and though it was a nice meal, I didn't leave feeling like it was actually worth $65 per person (before gratuity). I don't consider myself a "cheap" person, but this was definitely over my comfort level of spending on a mid-week dinner... make sure to save this for a special-ish occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastymacsDined on 10/30/2014This was my second visit to Contigo, we were celebrating a birthday. We selected the 7 tapas dishes offered at $42 pp. Each one flavorful. There were 3 of us and we barely finished the meatballs. Our favorites were the gem beet salad, calamari, eggplant, and peppers. Fish was a bit dry and fried. We'd prefer not fried and more moist. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the churros dessert. Next time! Service was attentive, waitstaff told us what we were eating, as it was a bit dim in the restaurant, and came by to make sure everything was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but overpricedElsiebbDined on 10/22/2014I came here with two other adults and two toddlers. The staff was warm, attentive and helpful - very professional. The menu was interesting and the food was tasty. The bill, however, was much too high. These are tapas...very small plates, yet they are priced like entrees in other restaurants. The pricing does not encourage the sharing of many plates. Despite how well I liked the food, ambience and staff, I won't return because it is not worth the money.Special Features:
- Always a great meal at ContigoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014My party of 4 went on Tuesday evening: paella night. We had the paella, which was preceded by 4 lovely appetizers. The food is always very imaginative and well prepared and the service is friendly and capable. I am always up for going to Contigo.Special Features:
- It was OK...ganymede1Dined on 10/19/2014We've heard about Contigo and looked forward to our first dining experience here. It has a nice urban atmosphere with a cozy patio for outdoor dining. Although we hoped we could try their paella, we realized that you have to come on Tuesdays for that. We both enjoyed their appetizer - with tomato sauce on crusty bread, and also tasty Albondigas (meatballs). Unfortunately, we weren't impressed with main courses. It wasn't particularly a busy night, but it took for a long time for the food to arrive and we became inpatient. It's quite pricy and the portions are petite, so we filled ourselves with extra bread.Special Features:
- Place has a bad sit accommodationAcme2Dined on 10/15/2014Summary Food hard to understand the menu Service bad Tables too close for you enjoy your own meal without the person next you hit you w their elbow or a hear this woman talking non stop Hostess couldn't find my reservation made me feel like she was doing me a favor sitting us Glass of wine -price too high I will never go back
- Never a bad meal!Amy1VIPDined on 10/5/2014Always delicious and great service. The Cava sangria was amazing on such a hot night.Special Features:
- A welcome addition to Noe ValleyLarryDined on 10/5/2014It's great to have a full on tapas restaurant in the heart of Noe Valley. Casual ambiance, great wine list, knowledgeable and attentive staff, topped off by flavorful classic Spanish bar fare. I've added it to local dining establishments I'd gladly recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good food, tired menuAlanSFDined on 10/4/2014Had to wait nearly a half hour for a reservation -- with no seating at the bar, no wine comped -- but other than that it was an enjoyable experience. We've been to Contigo many times, and anything we've ordered has always been good, but their menu rarely changes, offers few "entree" choices, and can be a little one-note, as Spanish cuisine in general can be.Special Features:
- Amazing foodmobocheDined on 9/30/2014I live in the neighborhood and despite having heard good things about Contigo, I had resisted a visit. Maybe it's the somewhat cheesy name that deterred me? In any case, I finally went for a celebratory weekday dinner, and the meal was among the best I've had in recent memory. We ordered the melon con jamon (DELICIOUS), the goat cheese salad (DELICIOUS), the pescaditos fritos (good but probably would skip next time) and the squid and beans (OMG). We ordered vermouths for our drinks, and though they cost more than 2x what they do in Spain, they were delicious. Our outdoor table was pleasant (despite the awkward second date fight-conversation happening next to us). Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wow!!!OldFashionedDined on 9/26/2014Took my friend for her birthday, we decided on the tasting menu: chef's selection of 7 of the night's best dishes (dessert not included). All dishes were sooooo good; we tried couple different Spanish red wines from many on the menu with our dishes, and liked them all. The Croqueta and Churros with TCHO chocolate sauce were must. Delicious!Special Features:
- Authentic ingredients & dishesmjafernanDined on 9/19/2014This is the second time I've gone in the last month and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that while the menu still contained some favorites it had also varied the menu a bit. I continue to be impressed by the authenticity of the products served. As someone whose family is from Spain and who has personally lived there, I consider myself a pretty good judge of the food served. Contigo does a great job of striking a balance between serving quality ingredients and a still reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great sardines from Monterey; fried potatoes with aioli are excellent; lamb and goat cheese salad are fantastic. Wonderful service.Special Features:
- Alright placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/18/2014It's ok...some dishes took a long time to come, some did not....worth the wait? If u have time n not hungry.....
- Great new findchiharveDined on 9/18/2014A friend posted his visit on Facebook and the food looked and sounded so good that I had to go directly to the website. I made a stop there on my next visit to San Francisco (from Chicago) and was not disappointed. My dining partner and I even had to share the smallest plates because they looked too good not to split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite in my old 'hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014My, my, my..I've eaten here several times now and I find myself with a big grin on my face. The service is attentive without being too overbearing and they were quick to answer any questions about what was on the menu. We had a carafe of white wine to complement our selections from the small plate menu. What I like so much about this place is it serves good tasting food. It's that simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catalan Food in Noe ValleyJonasfVIPDined on 9/14/2014Contigo offers delicious and creative catalan food. The food, served tapas style, is flavorful and delicious. The tapas are large enough to share. Not many fresh greens, but lots of seafood options. Sardine and anchovies bocarones are our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable!McowherdDined on 9/13/2014Found this place from a local and it's one of my favorites now. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GutenbergGutenbergDined on 9/10/2014This place is one of the great neighborhood restaurants in San Francisco. The food is amazing and just gets better with each visit. Wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious As AlwaysSomeOpinionsVIPDined on 8/31/2014Contigo is one of my favorite spots for tapas. The rotating menu always includes fresh, seasonal choices, good for omnivores and vegetarians alike. I often have to stop myself from ordering another plate. While the food is always good, I have found that the service can be hit or miss. I rely heavily on the suggestions and timing of my server, especially when it comes to pairing wines and bringing the food in the right order and pace. I have had some real knockout meals, especially sitting at the bar and having the bar manager pick out some of their most interesting and exciting wines to pair with my plates. It's these experiences that keep me coming back and recommending this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great nightRossVDined on 8/21/2014The entire staff were courteous and friendly, the food was impeccable, and they were so sweet to give my wife and me glasses of cava (we were celebrating our anniversary).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Very well run restaurant. Tapas with flair. I particularly liked the fig, peach, Jamon, cheese plate and the tripe with chick peas.Special Features:
- Festive Patio + Fun Food2YourHealthDined on 8/8/2014Fun meal on the covered back patio. More than warm enough despite the cool SF summer night. The patio is MUCH less noisy than dining inside which was important to us. Raciones were sizable and delicious; we especially liked the corn and mushroom dish and the fig, peach, and jamon salad. House sangria was good, but I might opt for a glass of red next time. Only downside was that our drinks and bread didn't arrive until our first dish was brought out, after which the food came quite (maybe even a little too) quickly.Special Features:
- Fabulous Tapas!charlottesvillefoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed every bite of these inventive, beautifully presented plates. Although we arrived 20 minutes early and the restaurant was very crowded, the host found a spot for us in the attractive indoor garden. Especially good: peaches and figs with fresh cheese, honey and serrano ham was incredible, as was the burstingly fresh corn with local mushrooms. Nice wines by the glass and attentive service. Two yums up!Special Features:
- Great food, service and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2014I've eaten here at least a half dozen times. It's always a great dining experience. Excellent food, terrific service and the atmosphere is the right balance of lively and intimate for a gathering with friends. I wouldn't say it's a romantic setting.Special Features:
- Amazing food, pricey wineDGSFDined on 8/1/2014We always love the food, but we think the prices charged for the wine are a ripp-off. If they adjusted those prices, I would be going back at least twice a month as their food is fantastic. Instead we only show up twice a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in noe valleyRamanDined on 7/31/2014One of our favorite restaurants - consistently good food and service. Innovative cooking using fresh seasonal ingredients. Highly recommend covered patio seting in the back.Special Features:
- The following 633 reviews are from the Contigo reviews archive.
- Great Flavors, Amazing Dining!BayAreaFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Great ambiance and amazing flavors in every bite! Accommodating staff and beautiful place for a group, on a romantic date or even your family dining spot! Would definitely recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasOwetsuDined on 7/26/2014Every dish was delicious. Some stood out more than others and no bad or mediocre dishes. Enjoyed suggested wines. Server was helpful in deciding and providing tastes. Overall great experience with family. My foodie 11 and 13 year olds loved many of the dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food lacks flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014I love the ambiance here but the food was not greatSpecial Features:
- Always hits the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014Contigo never disappoints when we are in the mood for sharing multiple plates of delightful dishes. Plus the waiters are always delightful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a-la-carte. Not great paella.PepperVIPDined on 7/15/2014We go to Contigo all the time, and have never been disappointed with their Carte. The last time, we tried their Paella Tuesday special for $34/person. The side dishes are outstanding as usual, but the paella itself was a bit disappointing. The seafood is super fresh and tasty, but the dish as a whole was not authentic and a bit salty. Next time we'll stick to the regular menu.Special Features:
- Neighborhood favrtayurvedaVIPDined on 7/15/2014Food is consistently great. One or two of the owner couple is always there , and the wine manager is very knowledgable about Spanish wine..we even like the food better then what we we had in Spain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish Treasure in Noe valleyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014The halibut dish was to die for as was most else such as the "gazpacho salad," meatballs, hot chocolate with churros, and the flan. Nice Spanish wines.Special Features: