Consuelo Mexican Bistro
377 Santana Row #1125
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Consuelo Mexican Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.consuelomexicanbistro.com/
- Phone: 4082607082
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: weekdays: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday, Tuesday 5:00- 9:00 PM; Wednesday, Thursday 11:30 - 10:00 PM; Friday, Saturday 5:00 - 11:00 PM Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Happy Hour Weekdays from 3 to 5 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rocio Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Consuelo can serve to any size group from an intimate party of 2 to a larger group of 80. We have a few different styles of parties that we offer from a sit down dinner to a cocktail style reception with passed appetizers. Buyouts are available; please contact our Management team for details.
- Private Party Contact: Miguel Cornejo 4092607082
A word from Consuelo Mexican Bistro
Consuelo Mexican Bistro features a traditional and diverse Mexican cuisine. The complex flavors from the kitchen are complimented with creative drinks, selected Tequilas, beer and wine from the bar. The decor matches that found in Mexico City's cantinas in the early 1900's. Bienvenido a Consuelo Mexican Bistro y buen provecho!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Consuelo Mexican Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)good for groups (14)special occasion (11)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (7)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- OverpicedDisappointedDinerDined on 9/27/2014Good food. Okay service. Grossly overpriced. $13 for a basic margarita? $10 for a kids' menu tortilla with just cheese? If money is no object you should enjoy this place.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodDietzVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have dined here several times in the past and have always had a pleasant experience. Food and drinks are good but I wouldn't go so far to say great, the menu could use some attention and updating. Our server was awesome, even though she had just gotten stiffed by another table she kept her smile and charm on. The place is starting to feel a bit tired to me - things like the menu covers are worn and little has been updated inside since they opened. I'll go back again for dinner, but wouldn't call it a special occasion place.
- bill, and seating831wDined on 9/6/2014Seating- could be ask if we got a preference? Bill- before receiving the bill I think we should be asked " may I get you anything else?" Before receiving my bill. Because I was going to place an orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food on the stripJohnVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food was very good and it's hard to find great Mexican restaurants in the area. With outdoor seating on along the strip on Santana Row the atmosphere is very nice. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kumarDined on 8/25/2014Staff is good but food not. Very bland and they don't tell the dish name when keep at table.....many people where vegetarian and they mixed up all the dishes.
- No Service FlexibilityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2014Both the server and the manager did not provide ANY flexibility for my wife after she did not like the preparation of her original order. Even after requesting a new sauce for her new dish, the manager said "you'll love the other sauce". As we thought, we did not like the sauce the manager insisted we would love and then they would not take the dish off of the bill.Special Features:
- Great diningGinLou03Dined on 8/16/2014We sat on the patio and had an excellent dinner including the tableside guacamole - fabulous!!! My carnitas was terrific, excellent flavor and nice crispiness. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great scene!MissMiaVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great outdoor and indoor dining. The menu is great and the sangria is delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming FlavorUSCTVIPDined on 8/2/2014I ordered the shrimp tacos and it was so bland it was really like there was no flavor. I had to coat it with salsa which still didn't do the job. The rice was also under cooked and crunchy. I used to go here years ago but it seems like the food has gone way down hill.Special Features:
- ConsueloriyengDined on 7/13/2014We went there for dinner. The number of vegetarian options are limited and of the three dishes we ordered, two had a lot of cheese in them. The Tortita De Papa that we had was different and tasted very good.Special Features:
- DisappointedprincessDined on 7/13/2014I have been going to Consuelo's since the opened at Santana Row almost 10 years ago. We did a brunch with my parents this past weekend and I was shocked!! The vinyl wrap on the seats was ripped open, I am talking major rips and tears. The menus were falling apart. The prices aren't cheap but I think Chili's has a nicer ambiance then Consuelos.Special Features:
- Nice location - great foodchipshotVIPDined on 7/8/2014Midweek dinner - outside table. Excellent service with wide variety of selections - great if you enjoy quality tequilla. Started w/margaritas and 4copas side sot. Followed w/guacamole appetizer with main course of bacon-wrapped prawns. Everything was fresh and well prepared. Will return again soonSpecial Features:
- Very overpriced for the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/4/2014When you pay $28 for a tiny filet mignon, it should be cooked perfectly. I asked for medium rare and got medium. Overall, we found the food to be mediocre at best. My fiance ordered the carnitas which were chewy and dry. The food was served on plates that looked old, scratched and below standards given the prices we we paid. The appetizers were good (guacamole and tostadas), but the entrees fell well WAY below expectations. I have eaten at Consuelo's many times over the years, but this in this case, there was a very noticeable decline in the quality of the food. Hope they improve!Special Features:
- Really good food!VikkiHDined on 6/28/2014My date and I came to Consuelo for dinner before going to a play. The food was absolutely delicious. I had the stuffed pepper in black bean sauce. Fantastic! The Margaritas were also very good. It was fun people watching and listening to the music from across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 479 reviews are from the Consuelo Mexican Bistro reviews archive.
- Missing & Incorrect OrderMatilda1955Dined on 6/25/2014We went to Consuelo for a good bye luncheon. Made reservations for 13 which dwindled down to 7 which was not an issue. Ordering went well at least we thought. My Caesar salad with chicken and dressing on the side arrived sans chicken and dressing. My friend's lunch was to be vegetarian (repeated 2x to the waitress) and it came with pork. The tostada portions were very small and the guests were left wanting more. I ended up taking my salad to go and my vegetarian friend cancelled her order. When I finally opened my salad later for dinner I was shocked at the size of my salad because the price was $17 and truly not worth that. I feel this is a overpriced Mexican restaurant and I believe they were sorely understaffed.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/15/2014I had heard that this restaurant was great, not just good but great. It wasn't for me or those in my party. The service was ok, not great. The food wasn't anything I would come back for. I had a shrimp dish which was so salty I didn't finish it. The guacamole should have been an easy win, but not so much. I don't know why people like this place. I won't go back. It was not worth the price we paid. We also made a reservation and getting acknowledged was difficult and while the patio wasn't full, they wouldn't seat us out there.Special Features:
- Not greatLV12Dined on 6/13/2014We did not have a great experience. I asked for a quiet table for 6 people which they were able to accomodate but then we were practically ignored the rest of the night. We had to ask for drinks and appetizers multiple times because they were forgotten, one person's meal was forgotten, and the rest of our food was cold. We saw one waitress (not ours) serving food to tables while on her cell phone! The food would have been ok if it were hot but the service was pretty terrible. Overall, kind of a disappointment.
- Not your regular Mexican RestaurantfatcatDined on 6/10/2014Consuelo Mexican Bistro is not our regular Mexican Restaurant. You will be surprised and very pleased to find: 1. a list of +30 margaritas 2. One of the best Chicken Mole 3. Creative and delicious dish, i.e. Salmon Chimichanga 4. Warm corn tortillas with 3 different salsas, instead of Chips & SalsaSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/7/2014The service was the worst I've ever had. Very slow and drinks had ink at the bottom of the glasses and things floating in them, not what you expect from $11 shot of tequila.
- Hugely improved, nice surprise!MistyVIPDined on 5/26/2014We hadn't been to Consuelo for several years thanks to bad experiences with mediocre food and service on our few past visits. We decided to give it another shot and were very surprised at how much it has changed. The margarita was perfect. The tortillas and dip they provide were delicious. They now have chips for the homemade guacamole (they only gave tortillas last time we were there). The food was also much better than I remember, although the carnitas were dry. The server also was wonderful. We can re-add this to our list of Santana Row restaurants to visit.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceKarenDined on 5/25/2014This is a family style restaurant, so be ready to share the dishes you order. Some are larger than expected (special fajitas with three types of meat), and some smaller (chicken mole). The food was good, but our server was great. He was attentive and paid attention to when we looked like we were ready for more Sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014We sat outside, and it was quiet. The food and service were excellent. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Ok service and mediocre foodCQfamilyDined on 5/10/2014The outdoor seating looks really nice, but we were told that they were all reserved - which we can understand. Then they made us sit next to the kitchen while all many nicer tables were empty the whole time we were there. The food is very mediocre. The waiter was nice though.Special Features:
- They need a better manager!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014We reserved a table for 7 and they gave us a booth that we can barely fit, we asked the hostess to give us a bigger one and we got on of the outside tables, 5 mins after they ask us to move back again because the manager wasn't happy blocking a table behind us, we didn't move since the couple behind us said there wasn't a problem with them but the attitude of the manager tells me that he is very INCOMPETENT!Special Features:
- ServiceSunflowerDined on 5/2/2014Our waiter did not seem interested that we were his clients, we saw little of him and had to wave him down for a second drink. I asked him to recommend an interesting drink and he looked at me blankly. I ordered the salmon tacos from the appetizer section and he brought me shrimp tacos. I did tip him but not the 20% I usually do but 12% instead.
- Tequlias & soft tortillas: nice!SJFoodieInPhillyDined on 4/10/2014A friend suggested we meet here for lunch and I was not disappointed. Incredible long tequila list (that's the "wine list" I mentioned). Rather than the typical fried chips, this places serves what I expect were home-made white corn tortillas with three salsas. Yummy and much nicer. I ordered ceviche while I waited and the appetizer portion was enough for lunch! The chili con queso was ok: I admit I'm not a big fan of melted cheese, though it was good overall; my friend liked it a lot. Service was consistent, supportive, and helpful. I gave two other tequilas I liked and the waiter suggested a different one when I asked; good suggestion and I enjoyed it. Nice place. I'll bring my husband back just for the ceviche and I want to try the mole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer better than foodLisaVIPDined on 3/22/2014Ice cold draft beer was great. Guacamole was good. Main dishes are average.
- Birthday celebration - inside too nOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014The service was very good. We ate outside since it was too noisy inside and it was surprisingly warm and cozy. We did not like that the only taco was seafood or shrimp. no good choices for beef or chicken. The queso was terrible and only cheese based with no beans. I had the mole which was very bland and tasted like just chocolate. used to it being. little spicy. Overall great service but food is terrible and surprised other reviews say authentic. definaty not and has a odd flaire of choices on menu
- Was a great valentines day dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The service was friendly and the overall mood in te restaurant was very romantic. I would definitely recommend to a friend. Our food came out impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just OK. The carnitasbeatscookingDined on 2/14/2014Food was just OK. The carnitas stuffed chile relleno was ~half fat. Flavor was good, not great, not bad, just good. I won't avoid this restaurant, but I won't be the one who says, Let's all go to Consuelo's.
- GreatMarybelleanneVIPDined on 2/8/2014Went there for lunch and ordered Pozole, very tasty. Also love the dips and hand made tortillas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catching upOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014met with an old friend from school. food was fresh and authentic. drinks were good. enjoyed the freshly made guacamole and the ceviche appetizer. friendly service all around.Special Features:
- We were one of a handful ofmarkgVIPDined on 2/6/2014We were one of a handful of tables, yet they just couldn't get their service right. When the bill came, my dining companion noticed that they charged the normal menu price for the special that was ordered; same description, same everything. When he pointed this out to the waiter, we were told "Did you order from the menu? or from the special list? You never specified." I told him that was his job if there was any confusion, but really? No wonder this place was almost empty during lunchtime on a Friday. We wont be going back.
- Used to be good, but new chefMattDVIPDined on 1/26/2014This used to be a great restaurant, but the chef that we've all come to know over the last few years quit on Wednesday. They picked up someone from Hot Tamales, and to say the experience was underwhelming would be an understatement. We asked for the Fajita dish, which came out with boiled (not grilled) chicken. When asked, we were told "this was the new style." No offense, but boiled, bland chicken isn't Fajitas (or anything else.) And then there was the burned estafado. The manager (also new) wanted us to come back and try again but so far hasn't called. So my assumption is that there are zero changes planned and I'd avoid this place like the plague until they get professional management and kitchen staff in place.
- Staff does not follow throughTeambuilderDined on 1/23/2014My biggest complaint is about the staff saying they're going to do something and not following through. We were seated on the patio which at the beginning was great. Shortly after being sat the sun started shining through very brightly. We asked a few times to have the screens rolled up to block the sun from hitting us in the eyes and to let some air through. We were told they would have someone do it and no one ever came. We sat through the entire lunch sweating and some even wore sunglasses. Maybe the staff needs to be reminded to follow through on requests.
- Walking into a restarauntNot2worthyDined on 1/21/2014Walking into a restaraunt at 6:30 PM where three employees caught up in some issue that needed an answer pass you to look at the reservation list without any acknowledgement is not a good start. After resolution we had to call out to get their attention before they were about to walk away. The prices charged are too high for what is received in both portion and taste. I really don't think they knew what should be in pazole or that it should have broth, not a bowl stuffed with shredded chicken, barely any broth and no room to add the cabbage, radish and avacado, etc. The Ceaser was a bit better but bland. The margarita saved the evening.Special Features:
- Really GoodDianaDined on 1/20/2014A very nice place to have lunch and with the weather being so accommodating this is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great food - except the guacsjcjudyVIPDined on 1/7/2014We ate lunch there and sent the tortilla soup back. I had the sopes, they were just okay. The guacamole made at the table was really good - and that is the only thing I would go back to eat. The waiter did the right thing and took the soup off the bill.
- The food was OK....it wased42Dined on 1/3/2014The food was OK....it was pricy for Mexican food. Service was slow and the noise level was on the loud side.Special Features:
- Over-priced and underwhelmedEnjoyFoodDined on 12/28/2013I've heard lots about Consuelo's so thought we'd try it. Got seated right away for our 7 pm reservations, our guests arriving about 5 minutes later. Thought it was going to be an efficient place but our waiter did not approach our table for another 20 minutes. When he finally arrived, he seemed to be in such a hurry it was really bothersome. We ordered drinks and the tableside guacamole which was good but not much for $12 (and now reviewing the menu I see that we were overcharged for the dish!!) My friend had the Filete Mignon Con Queso De Cabra which says it's a 7 oz filet - I would say it was more like 4 oz. The ancho chile stuffed with seasoned goat cheese was burnt and inedible. For $22 I'd say skip it. Rest of dinner mediocre.