200 Congress Ave
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.congressaustin.com/
- Phone: 5128272760
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Bull
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Congress
Congress features a prix-fixe dinner menu inspired daily by fresh, seasonal premium ingredients. Chef David Bull is imaginative in utilizing unique flavor combinations, creating an extraordinary dining experience in an elegant, intimate dining room. Bar Congress features the cocktail expertise of Jason Stevens and wines by Wine Director Paula Rester...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Congress - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Congress reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (43)romantic (37)notable wine list (33)hot spot (8)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great for our anniversaryTJRuddVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is unquestionably the best fine dining experience in Austin. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was spectacular and inventive. We ordered what we wanted from the menu, then our waiter and sommelier chose wine pairings for us for each of our dishes. It all worked wonderfully and made our 11th anniversary a special one.Special Features:
- AmazingTine96Dined on 9/12/2014My bf took me here for a surprise birthday dinner. It was an amazing experience! I love everything and it was very romantic. I couldn't ask for anything better... The service was great and they kept up w our drinks and never once my glass was empty. The food was great specially the main dish. The 5 course dinner was so classy and every bite was mouth watering. I thought small portions wouldn't fill me up but I was wrong. Everything was well planned out and the service was excellent. I just wished we knew about the vallet parking. In addition,the meat was tender and every bite just melted away right after I put it in my mouth. It was expensive but it was worth it specially on special occasion. I had an amazing experience thank you :)Special Features:
- Beautiful food!LparDined on 9/11/2014Every part of the meal was a masterpiece. Their presentation is amazing and thoroughly thought out. A culinary experience to be savored for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent intimate visiting setting. Preparations, though a little small, were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Too pretentious.AustinMDDined on 8/30/2014I brought a visiting international colleague to Congress for an upscale dinner his first of two nights in Austin. Our party was composed of three plastic surgeons and a fourth guest for group balance. I had a feeling that we were sneered at a bit by the staff. I would have understood if we were in Dallas and we were poorly dressed or behaved. Instead it was Austin where you can't be sure who people are by their dress, and we were well attired. The service was attentive and timely but cold. The food was excellent. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- Great food, service, and ambianceGreatfoodloversVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of the very best meals ever. Staff is plentiful, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. Space is modern and comfortable. Food is outstanding. Creatively selected and prepared. Gazpacho was unique and tasty presentation of several varieties of beautiful fresh tomatoes surrounding a mild cheese aspic ring with a vegetable juice in the center. Spinach and goat cheese agnolotti and espresso dusted ribeye were excellent. Ginger creme brûlée was perfect capstone for a truly exceptional meal. Highly recommend to others, and we will return whenever we can.Special Features:
- Special restaurant.BirthdayDined on 8/23/2014Th food and service were exceptional. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic for vegans!VeganNoshDined on 8/23/2014As a vegan, it can be tough finding a nice dining spot that offers both variety and flavor while also catering to your carnivorous other half. Congress meets that challenge and far exceeds it. My partner and I both had the tasting menus (mine vegan, his the regular) and we were both blown away with each course. The service was impeccable and the ambiance was delightful. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, vegan or otherwise, who is looking for an amazing fine dining experience in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined & spendy.ElGuapoDined on 8/16/2014The dining atmosphere is formal and refined, the attached but segregated bar added a more relaxed trendy preamble. The dishes were varied and original, the wine list was daunting to my unrefined eye. As we celebrated our 19th anniversary the place fit the desire, we settled for a lower priced Italian prosecco at $65. The wait staff were responsive and involved in the conversation at hand. Given the occasion is right and one is "all in" I'd say go for a couple of courses as this will only give you a good feel for "Chef's" exceptional work. We had the following dishes: prime rib loin and scallops, both were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinnermnugentDined on 8/15/2014Both of us had the 5-course tasting meal with wine pairings. And we both considered it one of the best meals we've ever had. Each course had a wonderful combination of flavors, colors & textures. We found ourselves raving about each course. And the paired wines were from throughout the world & complemented each dish well. Although expensive, highly recommended!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/2/2014Our favorite restaurant in austin! The very best food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014Congress never fails to amaze. Open Table requires that reviews be at least 40 characters long, hence this extra sentence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very bestLalipapiDined on 8/2/2014Absolutely delicious, beautifully presented, delightfully served dinner. My spouse and I recently went to Congress for a special occasion and had one of the best evenings we've ever spent in a restaurant. Artfully prepared plates and amazing flavors. Best brioche either of us have ever tasted. So many wonderful dishes: soft-shell crab, lamb chop, rib-eye steak, and much more. The staff simply could not have been better. We had the summer tasting menu and the wine pairings were excellent. Chef Bull dropped by to check on us a couple of times and was absolutely charming. This is truly one of the finest restaurants in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary CelebrationJerryEDined on 8/1/2014The tasting menu with wine pairing was fantastic. Both the wait person and the sommelier were helpful in describing both the dishes and the wines. A fantastic way to celebrate an anniversary.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable eveningglscolDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time at Congress and certainly not our last. Service was excellent and the food very enjoyable. Paula, the Sommelier was exceptional and made our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to ShineLBFFPVIPDined on 7/30/2014We love the people, the wine selection, the wonderful cocktails (the Manhattan here is one of my favorites) but the food keeps getting better. The goat cheese appetizer didn't disappoint and the angolotti and scallops were deliciously prepared. Service is friendly but flawless. We had three courses but currently they are doing the courses ala carte so you can opt for a little lighter summer meal.Special Features:
- Best Ribeye I've ever hadzthomasDined on 7/26/2014The ribeye rubbed with espresso was the best steak I've ever tasted, no lie. This place is a true gem. Thank you for the wonderful experience.Special Features:
- amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014One of the best.meals I've had in a while. Dishes were unique and the service was top notch. Fantastic for a special evening of romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful girls-night-out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014My sister, a friend and I wanted to find a charming and fancy restaurant to go enjoy a sophisticated girls night out and Congress far exceeded our expectations! The services was wonderful, the food was absolutely delicious and the ambiance of the restaurant was exquisite. It lies right in the middle of a very busy downtown Austin, but they've done a fantastic job pulling you out of that scene and into another world inside. We loved it and will be dining there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniveraryRedwineVIPDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed our anniverary dinner at Congress for a second time. The food and service are truly at the top of Austin dining.Special Features:
- FijiskillzVIPDined on 7/16/2014Consistently the best high end restaurant in Austin. Food is fantastic as is the wine. Kinda sad that every time we eat here we are asked if it's a special occasion. Sometimes we just want the awesome on a Wednesday without a reason. Hope austin can get to the point where you don't go to congress or other places only for 'special occasions'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a "fancy" nightDRinDallasVIPDined on 7/12/2014Visited Austin from Dallas and on enjoyed our dinner at Congress. The server was very good...recommended Black Chicken half bottle and even gave us recommendations for wineries to visit in Hill Country. Food was very good, particularly the foie gras! We're not big fans of formal dining rooms with table cloths. Wish it was a bit more relaxed. But overall, a nice restaurant if you want a "fancy" night on the town.
- An anniversary treatmathdudeDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary at Congress. A wonderful evening! We went all out and had their 5 course summer tasting menu paired with their wine selections. They were wonderful to alter the tasting menu due to my wife's dislike of seafood and adjusted her wine according to the changes. Each course was a treasure to discover and each wine was perfectly matched. Our top dining experience in our 15 years of marriage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine eveningSatisfechoDined on 7/10/2014We went to Congress for the first time to celebrate a very special occasion. It surpassed our expectations in every respect. The valet parking began the pleasant experience with a friendly and able attendant (with the car waiting when we were ready to leave), the restaurant staff were exceptionally attentive and efficient, unobtrusively so, exhibiting a friendly courtesy from the moment we entered to the time we left, and food was served in an attractive way and of such high quality that it matched the best restaurants on the upper east side in NYC. The presentation was flawless, and the seasoning made every bite a treat. The decor had an understated elegance, making just the right ambience. The evening was an unmitigated delight.Special Features:
- HONEY, I shrunk the food!RemyandFinnVIPDined on 7/9/2014As an Austinite I'm overwhelmed with choices of five star restaurants, local celebrity chefs and world renowned food trailers.... And to think this place dares catagorize itself amongst that company is shameful. If I had been in less shock, I would have refused to pay for the meal. From the waiter who was pretending to be a vampire, to the 38$ bite of lobster....literally one bite. Do yourself a favor; GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!
- Mixed feelingsBlivetDined on 7/5/2014Incredible menu - plates were orginal, (though small portions for the price) perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. Waitstaff attentive, knowledgeable about the food and wines and friendly. We had an earlier reservation (6:45) and had a cocktail to start. The sommelier selected a good and reasonably priced wine to compliment a mix of entrees. My complaint - it felt as if we had to meet their schedule to permit the second seating. Courses were rushed, plates cleared as soon as the utensil was set down, we were not offered coffee and the check was dropped on the table while we were enjoying our dessert. We had to ask for coffee after the check arrived. For an upscale, chic restaurant, this was dissappointing.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in Austin!acookinaustinDined on 7/5/2014Thinking of going to Congress? One word: GO! Okay, two words: GO TODAY! This is the best restaurant in town. Chef David Bull continues to create combinations of flavors that are fresh, surprising and exquisitely delicious. The service is attentive yet relaxed, the wine list is diverse, the room is beautiful. Everything modern fine dining should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too salty for my tasteatninoDined on 6/28/2014It may be just my personal preference but every dish felt too salty, even the bread. Some salty dishes are fine, but it a becomes problem when every dish is salty. Service was great, and wine list is impressive.Special Features:
- 24play2VIPDined on 6/21/2014Fantastic! server's where just wonderful explaining everything and not rushing us. the wine list is great and the Dunn was well Dunn. plan on traveling just to eat at this placeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful experience at Congress, attentive service and terrific, memorable cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014David Bull has created a dinning gem with Congress. The sedate atmosphere of the restaurant is complimented with the adjacent 2nd Street Bar that provides a livelier atmosphere and outdoor dining. Each of the three course dinner entrees provide a good variety of Bull's delightful creations. A wonderful dining experience topped off by a personal visit from David.Special Features:
- MS1202Dined on 6/7/2014My only negative was our table was a too close to the drink station. We had an early reservation, we could have been seated at a quieter table. Next time I'll ask for an interior table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colossal waste of money, occasionelmellDined on 6/6/2014For 40th birthday dinner with partner, wanted ‘exquisitely intimate dining experience’ as touted on website; had enjoyed Driskill when chef was there. Instead got cavernous room, nearly empty on Friday night, with loud, miserable soundtrack of U2, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd giving air of sad hotel bar or high-school dance. Pluses: food allergy accommodated; wines well paired to food. 2 courses excellent, 2 fine, 4 lackluster, none I couldn’t enjoy elsewhere at 1/2 or even 1/4 the price (and disgusting bonbon at very end of meal literally left bad taste in mouth). Overall too much salt and sweet, with some balance, texture, plating, service missteps: certainly not ‘finest culinary experience from start to finish’. Overpriced and overrated.
- Pricey but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/4/2014We savored the 7 course tasting menu and it was an exceptional experience. The preparation, presentation and taste were excellent and the pace of service was just right. We winced when the bill came but it was worth it.Special Features:
- Is it worth the price?JeffVIPDined on 5/31/2014There are many positive aspects of Congress; atmosphere, service, presentation. However I felt the value for the money was not met. Austin has a large number of new and existing restaurants that outshine Congress at a fraction of the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014I wanted a quiet, special evening to treat some friends to a wonderful dinner. Service was perfect and the evening was a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014I moved to Houston from the San Francisco area recently and have missed finding great restaurants not only with incredible food but with a service and atmosphere to match. I picked Congress after searching online for a place to go to while spending the weekend in the Hill Country to celebrate after proposing to my girlfriend. It was a bit of a drive to Austin from Burnet but completely worth it! We had a great experience and loved everything about the food and our waiter could not have been better! If I lived in Austin I would be going back again and again!Special Features:
- Huge DisappointmentMikeVIPDined on 5/24/2014I thought Congress was an upscale restaurant and they clearly want to be, but I was shocked at the mediocre food. The cocktails before dinner were very good but the food simply did not measure up. At least the server noticed that I did not eat the servings and they did offer a replacement but it was embarrassing. Both my wife and I left our courses uneaten and left unhappy. Wink has far superior cuisine.
- great but expected morettgoldieVIPDined on 5/23/2014tasting is good, but overpriced. Chef is a little bit too much into pepperSpecial Features:
- ExceptionalErinKDined on 5/23/2014The service and food were exceptional! I was nervous about not liking something on the 7 course tasting, but the restaurant was extremely accommodating, particularly to my fiancé's allergy.Special Features: