58 MacDougal St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.comodonyc.com/
- Phone: 6465803866
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Felipe Donnelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Comodo
“Comodo is about a personal love story with a region and its flavors but keeping it true to the environment where it is found. It is a menu very personal to who I am-an autobiography written in food. This food is what happens when you take a Colombian-Spanish-Mexican-Brazilian-American that has adapted to New York” explains Felipe Donnelly, who will oversee the kitchen. For parties larger than six, Comodo offers our family style menu, which consists of the entire menu shared, for sixty dollars per person. If you would like this menu please indicate in your notes. Comodo is a restaurant, inspired by Latin American influences but diners won’t find tacos or mole on the menu. Rather, the cuisine uses the flavors and the technique but varies from the traditional menu. It will serve Latin food seen through the prism of current New York dining trends. The décor of the 45 seat restaurant will convey the feeling of dining at home with a wooden communal table to obsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Comodo - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Comodo reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (38)romantic (35)special occasion (19)good for groups (18)hot spot (15)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2014A well-conceived, brilliantly executed menu with service to match. Their pasta blognese, a latin twist on an Italian mainstay is an absolute masterpiece.Special Features:
- Love love love Comodo!KJTFDined on 10/11/2014I absolutely love Comodo. The menu is incredible, and the food as good as it sounds. Such a charming spot! I go every chance I getSpecial Features:
- Doesn't get betterDinnerbelleDined on 10/8/2014You can spend a lot more money and not come close to ALL that it takes for a superb dining experience. Regardless your priority - food, ambiance, wine list, service - nothing disappoints. In fact, everything exceeds. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentDazeDined on 10/4/2014What a great place! Excellent food and service. Our waitress went out of her way to help my friend with special diet needs. I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodAnonymousxxDined on 9/30/2014We found this restaurant on our last trip and come back every time we are in town. We love the mushroom arepas. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcome S. American gembilllVIPDined on 9/25/2014with S. American takes on food and spicing, it is a really welcome addition to the neighborhood. Gets loud late, esp. if big partiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at bestnicknameDined on 9/24/2014There seré 3 persons when we arrived at 6:30 pm but the host was busy on the phone and the waiter was in the kitchen so we waited What mighty only be 3 minutos but It seemed like a long time given that they would not even ríase their eyes to look at us. The new waited for the menú and waited for a glass of wine even though no moré people arrived. The host and the waiter were busy all evening. The ceviche was saggy propably old, the código was rough and the arepas were muggy. The prices very high particularly the wine prices. For 12 dólares they give Youtube 2 ounces.
- Recommended for date nightTravelingFoodieDined on 9/12/2014Comodo had a great atmosphere and impeccable service. Our server was attentive, fun and extremely helpful. We split three appetizers and a main dish which was a good way to try a variety of their food. The octopus was incredible! I was a little disappointed in the bolognese (nothing wrong, just nothing special), but I would definitely recommend the foods that they've been more adventurous with. There was also a large party there for a birthday which looked amazing! The restaurant let them bring their own flowers etc to cater to their party - so adorable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014Nice place, good food, but too noisy. Nice place, good food, but too noisy.Special Features:
- Charming & DeliciousRC123VIPDined on 9/7/2014I adore this place! The food and atmosphere are divine.Special Features:
- dizzylizzyDined on 9/5/2014Food was outstanding - new dessert menu is to die for. Comodo is a must stop every time that I am in NYC.Special Features:
- Excellent Spanish-Brazilian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014My friend and I went to Comodo for dinner on Friday night. Hostess, waitress and bar tender were very nice and spontaneous. The food and drink menu was very interesting, with options from Mexico, Spain and Brazil. We had ceviche and sea bass. All very fresh and with right amount of spices, just delicious. The ambiance had the right level of intimacy for friends getting together or couples on romantic dinner. I'll certainly come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- candle dinerfrenchieinnYCDined on 8/19/2014a bit noisy. Main dish (entree) was great. Dessert was not so good. The candles and the lack of lighting make this restaurant a nice place for a romantic diner. Excellent service including good advice on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Rather dark. Good for a romantic dinner but you need the flashlight on your phone. Food was very good.Special Features:
- ComodoamorgieDined on 8/16/2014Very good meal. Not outstanding. The appetizers were really small portion. Very good service. There was a large party and they were very loud, which made the evening less enjoyable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/5/2014Delicious, inventive menu. Will definitely be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellente!OolaDined on 7/26/2014Comodo is on the top of our list of new great finds. Always delicious - fresh in summer, hearty in winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Findlove2eatVIPDined on 7/13/2014Great little restaurant. Food presented with care and style. Delicious! We had a lovely dinner without feeling rushed or crowded. Highly recommend Comodo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Great, interesting food Delicious small plates Would order all appetizers next time and skip main Coffee ice cream dessert weakI would recommend this to a friend.
- Ecletic menulry1VIPDined on 7/11/2014Excellent dining and warm atmosphere. Appetizers through desert were outstanding. Will defintely return and bring others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 246 reviews are from the Comodo reviews archive.
- luv2cookVIPDined on 6/24/2014great food, awesome service, very friendly & competent waitstaff. Will return!Special Features:
- Perfect Date NightbeksDined on 6/17/2014My husband and I went to Comodo for date night and it could not have been more perfect. The relaxed ambiance was complimented perfectly by the attentive wait staff (our water glass was never empty). The appetizers all looked so delicious that we decided to skip an entree (we will come back to try them) and ordered every appetizer on the menu. Each one was better than the next! I recommend the cauliflower gratin and the arepas. The chef greeted guests around the restaurant which is a gesture I always appreciate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/8/2014After waiting for a long time to get here this was a total diasappointment
- Good experienceItalianFoodieVIPDined on 5/28/2014Very nice setting. Good food. Service could improve, though
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014Should have at least one reasonably healthy dish and dessert, not just meat,oil and cheese. FE, should offer a fruit or berry dessert.Special Features:
- Fit for foodiesxiexieDined on 5/25/2014Delicious food. I had a hard time choosing because I wanted to try everything on the menu. Happy I brought my foodie friends here. The cocktails were great, too (especially with brunch -- none of them overpowered the food). The only negative was that it was quite hot that day, and they don't have A/C, only ceiling fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOOD!PaolaDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant definitely has the best ratings for me. Everything is amazing, from the restaurant, the staff, the wine list and last but not least the amazing food! The chef and owner has a great experience and fabulous taste in food. This is a must for locals and tourists! Loved the place. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Excellent small restaurantdoctornfDined on 5/4/2014Went for dinner with a few friends and we all had a great evening of very good and unique food, conversation, and very good feeling. This is a unique combination and while it doesn't exactly feel like home, both the staff and the atmosphere are warm and welcoming. A good change from the high-end places. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- BEST DINNER EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/24/2014One of the most delicious dinners I have ever had in NY. Everything was excellent! I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Remains a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/20/2014Comodo never disappoints. The service is lovely, attentive and unobtrusive. The drinks are strong and tasty. I started of with a La Mula while waiting for my friend and we switched to the pitcher of white sangria. Both were tasty. I enjoyed my steak salad with fried egg. My friend had their quinoa cakes which is their decidedly sweeter take on eggs benedict. Dessert was a lovely almond butter cookie. We left happily stuffed and planning our way back to the spot again for another brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodJuanCVIPDined on 4/18/2014Loved the simplicity of the menu, fast service and great flavors. Place is small and low dim lights make for romantic setting. On the con side, not a large wine list and price is a tad on the expensive. Overall good place to come back.Special Features:
- fab brunchhungryDined on 4/12/2014Not the usual brunch menu, but quite tasty and surprising. I had the Warm brussels sprouts Caesar salad topped with a poached egg, which was very flavorful. Although the dishes were a little on the small size there was still a sufficient amount. The bread - PAO DE QUEIJO BASKET WITH TOMATILLO JAM - was quite delicious. I would definitely order that again. All in all a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Comodo is comfort with classOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2014Had the most amazing time and food. Cannot wait to come back. Also will try their new restaurant colonia verde in fort Greene, bk! :) yaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014This was our second time at Comodo and the quality was as high as the first time. The ajiaco had subtle and wonderful flavors. The ceviche tasted as good as anything we have had visiting Lima. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, which made a big difference on a rainy Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last two times have been veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2014Last two times have been very disappointed. Flavor very flat. Land stew dry and bland.
- Creative menu and nice environmentArielleDined on 3/30/2014Comodo was a pleasant surprise ! The menu is limited but seasonal and innovative. I had the quinoa corn cakes with poached eggs - delicious! The cakes were sweet and slight crispy on the outside. My boyfriend had the pork belly nachos and, while I would never had picked it, I must say it was absolutely wonderful: the pork melted in your mouth while the nachos brought some great crisp to the dish. Service-wise, although the restaurant was not full, our waitress was quickly overwhelmed and didn't really check on us. Don't let that bother you, the place is a great find and definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food that gives you a caring hugLuv2eatDined on 3/29/2014After learning about the history of the owner and chef and enjoying a fabulous lunch with a loved one, all my expectations were wonderfully rewarded. A cozy and delightful little place that shows how food plays a vital part of how we express our love and care for one another. We were welcomed and served by gracious and caring staff who delivered us scrumptious and luscious culinary delights that tickled our souls. I highly recommend this charming find to anyone who seeks a break from the mundane. Thank you Comodo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect respite on a cold nightJuliaDined on 3/26/2014It was a delight to come in here on a cold winter night. I'd been hearing great things and was not at all disappointed. The place itself is adorable, the service is as good as it gets, and the food was delicious. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiance, cocktails & foodTUTTLEDined on 3/21/2014Really cool place with great ambiance, creative cocktails and amazing food. Very popular on a Friday night. Made reservations for 10:45p but showed up early and they were able to seat us sooner. We ordered family style and loved everything we tried, especially the daily ceviche and pao de queijo sliders. Will definitely recommend and visit again on my next trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you can't get to BAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Comodo, meaning easy, homey, cozy, is like being in Buenos Aires, without the air fare. Try the incredible brussels spout salad (and I hate brussels sprouts) and the steak, best since I was in Argentina. But really every single thing all four of us ordered was outstanding. Loved the young vibe, and our waitress, who actually is from BA, was super.Special Features: