102 N. University Avenue
Provo, UT 84606Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.communalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8013738000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Brunch: Saturday 9:00-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Communal can handle any type of off-site catering up to 250 guests. Please visit our website for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room with its window looking into the kitchen gives you the space you want without feeling left out. Close the shutters and draw the curtains and you have your own private space. Equipped with A/V equipment it serves business needs but also special occasions or times when you just have a larger group.
- Private Party Contact: Colton Soelberg 8013738000x
A word from Communal
Nestled in Historic Downtown Provo we have built the perfect home for Communal. Design by Benfell & Furr yielded a space that is both comfortable and modern. Clean lines and smart design set the stage for what could be the best meal you have ever had. Our private dining room is equipped with A/V equipment and is the perfect place for meetings or larger gatherings (up to 12). Communal easily handles large reservations of up to 20 and is ideal for special events seating as many as 40. The bar looks into the open kitchen and the seats there get you as close to the action as possible. Reservations are accepted and recommended. The menu, a la carte, gives you the opportunity to feel all the love that our local farmers & producers have for their products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Communal - Best Restaurants in Provo ›
Communal reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (40)good for groups (24)hot spot (22)romantic (20)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (11)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We held a college reunion here with a group of 5. It was the perfect location. We had all been close in college but over the past 25 years we went our different ways. Sharing a meal and all the dishes was a throwback to our college years, albeit we didn't eat out much in college. The location was the old jewelry store most of us rememberedSpecial Features:
- Quality and Expert ServiceNickKentDined on 8/22/2014I came in late on a Friday night and earlier I drove by and saw I was packed so I made a reservation online, came back at 9:30 and the staff was calm and attentive to me answering my questions and checking on my water and needs during my meal and the Chef they had cooking the quality ingredients would not let anything but perfection go out, so for me being a late night dinner on a busy weekend could not have been a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoritefoodloveDined on 8/22/2014The food is impeccable!I would eat every meal here if possible. The farm to table philosophy is detectable in every bite.Special Features:
- Ban cell phoneshistoryladyDined on 8/22/2014This was a great restaurant with friendly people and great food, but with its more communal setting, cell phones should be banned. Sitting so close to others made cell usage very, very distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While in Provo do not miss CommunalTravelinThruDined on 8/16/2014Every aspect is wonderful from food to service to ambience to feeling good that you are eating stuff that is from farm to table. I also love the plates, the napkins and the dessert served in a mason jar. Communal is the best restaurant in Provo but would stand alone in a big city as well.Special Features:
- loved it....dferdDined on 8/16/2014It is great every time we go! We had the ribeye and it was cooked perfectly. The charcuterie board was amazing as well!Special Features:
- Great Food, Nice atmospherenotafoodieDined on 8/15/2014The experience was great overall. It is a great location for a nice sit down dinner. It was fun having the food prepared in the same room as the dining, giving the whole ambiance a rustic home-like feel. It is a very unique restaurant, with great service, and even better food. Definitely a place worth eating at. I will be going back. The only problem is that the corn on the cob felt like it glued itself to my teeth, which was slightly annoying to try to get off. It tasted amazing though. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most impressive Provo restaurantfoodlover88Dined on 8/9/2014Everything about the meal was beautiful from start to finish. So many unique flavors that all paired incredibly well. This is definitely a foodie's fine dining at a very reasonable price, and by far the best restaurant I've ever experienced in Provo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014I have been to the Communal many times and have always loved the food. This time it was really subpar. The steak was disgusting--50% fat. The vegetables were tasteless. I've never liked ambiance but it was particularly annoying this time because I was trying to conduct a little bit of business. Service was non existant. The waiter was only visable when he brought the food. I had a reservation for 5 but showed up with 6. It took 20 minutes for them to change the arrangement. Very bad experience. Communal charges way too much for the food and service that I received. Its been awhile since I ate there. It was very different that previous experiences but not in a good way. It will be a long time before I try it again.
- Fried chicken better than grandma'seeetsoutDined on 8/2/2014Have never ordered fried chicken and mashed potatoes out at a nice restaurant but did and it was awesome. Take someone who likes to share....very large portions. We let them know that one person in our party had a walker and they set aside a particular table for us.Special Features:
- Absolutely awesome!thollyfeldDined on 8/2/2014Some of the best food that I've ever had.... I go back as much as I can.... Yummy and creative!Special Features:
- Provo TreasurecommanderspmVIPDined on 8/1/2014We found the food terrific and the place has a great vibe. If you are in Provo, you have to stop in for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience, must try!atyoungDined on 7/30/2014Easily one of the best meals I've had in some time, to the point I returned the next day with 7 of my co-workers and am going again tomorrow. The food was creative, flavorful, and carefully cooked to perfection. It's clear the chef loves his food, which translates it to personal dishes you're excited to share with others. The available wines are great choices, that pair with the menu easily. The only negative I could see is a lack of additional wine options. A more diverse list by bottle would likely make for more lingering patrons, looking for a more leisurely dining experience. Regardless I'm preparing to go for the third time in a week before I leave town, and I will sorly miss this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic!!eatingagentDined on 7/30/2014The food at Communal is peaking right now. I don't know how it could improve itself. The menu is exciting yet familiar and comfy. I wish I had the time to describe the whole meal, but in short detail let me recommend the beets, fried chicken, yukon mashed potatoes, carrots in brown butter, and corn on the cob. I was licking my fingers it was so delicious.Special Features:
- Deliciousness in ProvocaliforniafoodiesDined on 7/29/2014First time at Communal. Love the food! Didn't realize we would all be sitting together, but it was ok. Didn't feel crowded. Salmon delicious. Loved polenta and corn salsa, beet salad good. Pork and peaches had good flavored. Hard to cut. We asked chef to slice up for us. Which they did. Much easier to share. Ours might have needed to be cooked slightly longer. Chocolate cake Devine. I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!outtoeatDined on 7/26/2014We drove past the Communal one night as we were out and though it looked like a great place to eat. We came home and looked it up on the internet to see what the food was like. It was so easy to make a reservation online and we walked in and was seated right away. The food was great! The flavors were amazing!!! The only down side was the amount of food. In our company was a pro football player and portion size was not what we were expecting. If you are looking for a lot of food it is worth it to order 2 entrees!! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieDined on 7/25/2014This was a great dining experience! I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic, tasty and creativeEatcakeDined on 7/19/2014I live two counties away, and Communal is worth the drive to Utah County. The menu is varried in taste and texture allowing the shared dishes to blend together masterfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Gem in ProvoFly4FunDined on 7/18/2014Was so nice to find a 5 star quality restaurant in Provo. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Provo RestaurantravingfanDined on 7/18/2014I have been to communal for brunch, lunch, dinner, and even for the fancy 4-course dinner for my friend's birthday. Every single time I have gone, i have absolutely LOVED the food, and I love everything about the place, the service, and where they get it from and how it is served. The communal is also really good about getting involved with community and is the best fine-dining location in downtown. i would even go as far to say this is my absolute favorite restaurant, and I have been around the world simply to eat...Special Features:
- Very NiceaaronmDined on 7/12/2014I was recommended communal several years ago and a bit sad that it took me this long to try it. The food was very good. I had been a little turned off by the prospect of sharing a "communal" table. This is something quite common in other areas such as New York, but not very common here in Utah. However, when we arrived we were greeted nicely and set at a table for two. Apparently, my concerns were unfounded. That said I suspect the situation may have been different during busier hours After reviewing the menu we decided to be a little out of the box, and ordered the Watermelon salad. It was a true treat, Watermelon slices, with a touch of vinaigrette and a fair helping of Feta. The remainder of the meal followed in suit.Special Features:
- this is a true gem , great foodBJCFISHHERFORUDined on 7/10/2014We came to eat wirh great expectations , which are usually disappointed ,but not at the ommunal , amazing salad , the best ribeye steak and pork shouder cooked to perfection, thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!mamesbabesVIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a great meal at Communal while visiting Salt Lake City. Great service and wonderful food. I'd recommend anyone to try this restaurant….you will not be disappointed!!Special Features:
- Only ImprovingejharkerVIPDined on 7/5/2014I've been eating at Communal since it's first day of public operation and not only have they kept up the impressive quality of the entire experience, everything continues to improve. I always tell people a meal at Communal is typically a series of foods you've eaten many times in your life, but perfected. Such was the case with the best fried chicken we've ever eaten. The pork shoulder was likewise impressive. Even the fairly basic mashed potatoes were swoon-worthy and the polenta had us making audible moans of approval.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSLCsnobDined on 6/28/2014My girlfriend and I live in SLC and I don't think of Provo as a place to go for for a great dining experience. We were going for a sail boat ride on Utah Lake and I thought that finding a restaurant to go to would be challenging. From the time I walked in I knew that I had found the right place. The decor and menu were phenomenal. The charcuterie platter was innovative and delicious as was the dessert. We had the lamb as the main dish which was tender, moist and fell off the bone. The real show stopper however was the service. Our server was attentive, sweet and created an ambiance of casual professionalism that reminded me how much better a dining experience can be with a great server. Communal is where I will go anytime I'm in Provo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Communal is One of the BestbrentVIPDined on 6/27/2014We have been to Communal many times and some have been better than others, but they have always been good. The last 4 or 5 visits have been better than the previous visit and it is amazing that these guys are able to keep improving on perfection. The food at Communal is absolutely wonderful, hands down. Not much else to say about this, but if it's better next time than it was this last time, I'll be floored.Special Features:
- Very refreshingShaymartDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I love eating at communal to escape the mediocrity and unhealthy restaurants that surround our area. It is a bit pricy, but they get their food from local farmers and it's all fresh and healthy. The one problem we have is they change the menu so often that if we found an item we loved, chances are it wouldn't be there when we go back, but that just forces us to try their other great items. We haven't found anything we didn't like so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and UniqueAmesfitDined on 6/21/2014The atmosphere was great. A small cozy place with great service. The food was good and quite unique. Nothing on the menu for kids. My 3 year old did not like anything. The waiter was nice and brought her a warm slice of wheat bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the food, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014But we were hungry after. The waiter didn't really spell out the sharing procedure and portions well. We divided the lemon/salmon dish and enjoyed the green salad with lemon vinaigrette. Too many starchy side dishes to augment. They need more fish and green vegetables...healthy stuff. Everything we ordered was delicious...including the two tiny rolls. Attractive environment and obviously well-run kitchen.Special Features:
- Great foodRoadfoodieDined on 6/17/2014This was a local-sourced, great decor, great food place you'd be happy to find in cities like Seattle or Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfastFoodfanDined on 6/14/2014We love Comunal. The food is always great. Try the salmon on hash browns and the eggs Benedict is just simply perfect. Nothing adventurous...just perfect. Love the potatoes too.Special Features:
- Love This JointFoodie4lifeDined on 6/13/2014This place is fit for foodies. Had a great Farro salad with grilled asparagus and flash fried brussel sprout leaves and sherry-shallot vinaigrette dressing Wagyu skirt steak w/ mushrooms, chermoula, fleur de sel Butterscotch pudding parfait All outstanding!Special Features:
- Good FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014After reading some reviews I was a little concerned about my visit to Communal but, I can't say enough good things. I want to set the record straight on a few things though. It is not all communal seating, in fact they have one, yes only one communal table, which if you were to go with a party of say 8 would be accommodating. The few bar seats they have are an up close experience of the kitchen and if you can get those, grab 'em the chefs are welcoming, entertaining and will explain what they are doing and ingredients they use. Wine list is a good one, you will not find 2 Buck Chuck here. This is excellent food at a decent price point (it's not cheap food at a cheap price). Go. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Pretty Good.justjumpDined on 6/6/2014I am unsure if Communal lived up to the hype. The food was pretty good. The portions are relatively small but I didn't leave hungry. I suppose I was disappointed mostly because I had such high expectations. It is a bit pricier and has smaller portions than Pizzeria 712 (I think they have the same ownership) And I expected it to be a small step above Pizzeria 712. I don't think it was. I ended up spending about 20 dollars more for a meal that wasn't as good. Don't get me wrong. It was delicious. It's just lost somewhere between casual dining and fine dining. too expensive for casual, not quite nice enough to be fine. JP ps. Our server was unbelievably good.Special Features:
- Communal is ExcellentbrentVIPDined on 5/30/2014Communal is consistently delicious and the service is always very good. We love this restaurant, haven't ever had a bad experience and will keep coming back for more!Special Features:
- Wonderful place to dine or brunch.NerdNoisesDined on 5/21/2014Prices are on the higher end of the spectrum. Expect to pay about $100 for a dinner for two by the time you're done with tips, and dessert, and everything but it sure is worth it. What's really amazing is that if you make it a dinner for four, you'd still pay about $100 due to their communal eating way of doing things where each person does not order their own plate but you order for the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodpersonDined on 5/16/2014Our first visit to Communal. I'm sure we'll be back. Had a reservation, but would have had to wait, so sat at the bar and watched the cooks. We enjoyed it and even learned a couple of things. Cooks were talkative and friendly. Our waiter was perfect and the food was original, fresh, and very tasty. A little pricey, but we felt it was a very good value. With the family style portions it is easy to over-order so let the waiter be your guide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but way too loud.sktrunDined on 5/16/2014Dining here was an unique experience, but I wanted something quiet and private. Even though I researched and asked around, this IS NOT the place for intimate dining. My husband does not do well with crowds and we avoid establishments that are too loud . Sitting in the middle of a long table with complete strangers was very uncomfortable for our whole party. Will we come back? probably not. The food was great and the wait staff was exceptional, but communal dining is just not our cup of tea.Special Features:
- An Absolute Gem!JethroNullDined on 5/10/2014There are not as many really good foodie restaurants in Utah as I wish there were, but luckily one of the few is on our doorstep. Communal is an absolute gem (and I'm comparing to a lot of good European restaurants). They've never let us down. Long may they flourish.Special Features:
- A carousel of new delightsbusoniDined on 5/10/2014I've dined at Communal several times a year since it opened. Occasionally we'll get a new chef who isn't paying full attention, but most of the time it's simple and delicious. There's always something seasonal and new on the menu. Flavors are subtle and will not be appreciated by those looking for a quick value "fill up"—you can certainly go almost anywhere else for that style of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.