102 N. University Avenue
Provo, UT 84606Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.communalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (801) 373-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Brunch: Saturday 9:00-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Communal can handle any type of off-site catering up to 250 guests. Please visit our website for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room with its window looking into the kitchen gives you the space you want without feeling left out. Close the shutters and draw the curtains and you have your own private space. Equipped with A/V equipment it serves business needs but also special occasions or times when you just have a larger group.
- Private Party Contact: Colton Soelberg 8013738000x
A word from Communal
Nestled in Historic Downtown Provo we have built the perfect home for Communal. Design by Benfell & Furr yielded a space that is both comfortable and modern. Clean lines and smart design set the stage for what could be the best meal you have ever had. Our private dining room is equipped with A/V equipment and is the perfect place for meetings or larger gatherings (up to 12). Communal easily handles large reservations of up to 20 and is ideal for special events seating as many as 40. The bar looks into the open kitchen and the seats there get you as close to the action as possible. Reservations are accepted and recommended. The menu, a la carte, gives you the opportunity to feel all the love that our local farmers & producers have for their products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Communal - Best Restaurants in Provo ›
Communal reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (37)good for groups (27)hot spot (23)romantic (14)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014We had a reservation, but still had to wait about 20+ minutes to be seated. Fortunately someone took our drink order while we waited, and restaurant comped our dessert. The food was great, as always. I recommend the endive salad and the butterscotch pudding.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, service and atmospherebrentVIPDined on 11/14/2014Communal is always a home run...the service is great and the food is fresh with a creative and delicious seasonal menu. We will definitely be back again, and again, and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/11/2014Its a lot of shared plates and we had a big table of 10 people. We were late (moving in groups) and they needed to get us in/out of there but still wanted to make it a good experience for us. I could see that getting 10 people to decide on orders would be a challenge (especially when sharing) so the waiter offered to take on the ordering for us if we trusted putting it in his hands. He did a fabulous job. Everything was great. The pork belly, the short rib, the chicken, trout, mashed potatoes, deserts. Well done and execute. We had a leisurely dinner, just the right amount of food, and they were still able to turn the table before the next set of guests arrived. Professionally executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/8/2014I absolutely LOVE Communal! I tell anyone and everyone to try this place out. Their menu always has something new and different on it, and I've never tried something I didn't love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We need one in Salt Lake CityflahoolzebubDined on 11/7/2014The food and service were phenomenal. The food preparation was absolutely top notch, and I'd eat here more often, except that I live in Salt Lake City. Please open up one in SLC!Special Features:
- Beyond DeliciousMimiDined on 11/1/2014The food at The Communal is excellent. Always fresh and beyond delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner!NomnomnomDined on 10/15/2014The food was delicious and our service was great! I would definitely recommend. They encourage splitting entrees which gave more room for trying additional horderves and sides, I liked that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDawnCDined on 10/14/2014I choose Communal to bring a colleges from our Netherlands and Taiwan office. The person from the Netherlands stated it was the best meal she had during her trip and our the college form TW said she had never tried this type of food but enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- FantasticSJP3003VIPDined on 10/3/2014Our family of 4 enjoyed a Friday dinner at Communal. We were seated promptly at the large communal table. Service was attentive and friendly. The fare was excellent...we spent 4 days sampling restaurants in Utah and this was head and shoulders above the others. It would hold its own vs top restaurants in larger cities like NYC and DC. The only downside was the group next to is which was boisterous to the point of nearly being obnoxious. The restaurant is loud when full as it is lined with hard surfaces. Regardless, Communal is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodlocaldinerDined on 10/3/2014This was the third time eating here. The menu is top-notch and always changing. The ingredients are fresh, and the ambiance is fantastic. However, this last time eating here I chose the rib-eye steak and was a little disappointed. It was chewy and a little tough. I took the waitress' suggestion to have it cooked to the chef's recommendation, which was medium rare. It was medium to well-done. The horseradish flavor was also a little over-bearing. For the cost, I expected a much better steak. All-in-all the food was delicious and we will for sure return, but I hope that this was a one-time incident with the steak. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday brunch.IlikefoodDined on 9/20/2014We had a group of 9, and we were in our own room to celebrate September birthdays. So nice as we are a bit of a noisy group. The food was delicious, and our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsDrKLMDined on 9/12/2014Thanks again to Communal for an excellent meal. I was hosting a visiting scholar and she was quite impressed with the food, service, and overall experience.Special Features:
- formidablemonweDined on 9/10/2014C'est un resto qui a un ambiance très chic. J'ai apprécié le service rendu ainsi que les plats. Je le proposerais à mes amis sans doute et je le feraiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Artisanal FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Communal is a lovely change for Provo. It offers Communal dining, hence the name, and the dinner menu items are meant to share. The food is excellent, the service is great and the atmosphere is pretty unique for Provo. Prices are quite high, for the amount of food, by Provo standards. Sharing doesn't change that. A great place for foodies or bringing out-of-town guests to demonstrate that Provo can be au courant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We have been eating at Communal since it opened. We frequent here more that any other place. It is still excellent. It seemed to be slightly better when the owners were also the chefs. I did not like the music this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Very loud.ShineDined on 9/6/2014The food was really good. However, the restaurant was very, very noisy. Smallish, with hardwood floors and plastered walls causes amplification of noise. It was really too loud to even hold a conversation at the table.
- Loved everything about this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great atmosphere, DELICIOUS meal, and great service. The ribeye was the most tender I've ever had. Loved the communal salad with lemon vinaigrette, the crispy polenta, and the ribeye with horseradish potato purée! Even the bread before our meal was so yummy. The restaurant has a cool look with some rustic aspects like the old wooden floor and glasses made from wine bottles, but also modern touches. It was fun to be able to see the chefs in action from where we sat. We love the idea of family-style dining, where you share your food. Would go back in a heartbeat and are only sad that we don't have Communal in Idaho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We held a college reunion here with a group of 5. It was the perfect location. We had all been close in college but over the past 25 years we went our different ways. Sharing a meal and all the dishes was a throwback to our college years, albeit we didn't eat out much in college. The location was the old jewelry store most of us rememberedSpecial Features:
- Quality and Expert ServiceNickKentDined on 8/22/2014I came in late on a Friday night and earlier I drove by and saw I was packed so I made a reservation online, came back at 9:30 and the staff was calm and attentive to me answering my questions and checking on my water and needs during my meal and the Chef they had cooking the quality ingredients would not let anything but perfection go out, so for me being a late night dinner on a busy weekend could not have been a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoritefoodloveDined on 8/22/2014The food is impeccable!I would eat every meal here if possible. The farm to table philosophy is detectable in every bite.Special Features:
- Ban cell phoneshistoryladyDined on 8/22/2014This was a great restaurant with friendly people and great food, but with its more communal setting, cell phones should be banned. Sitting so close to others made cell usage very, very distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While in Provo do not miss CommunalTravelinThruDined on 8/16/2014Every aspect is wonderful from food to service to ambience to feeling good that you are eating stuff that is from farm to table. I also love the plates, the napkins and the dessert served in a mason jar. Communal is the best restaurant in Provo but would stand alone in a big city as well.Special Features:
- loved it....dferdDined on 8/16/2014It is great every time we go! We had the ribeye and it was cooked perfectly. The charcuterie board was amazing as well!Special Features:
- Great Food, Nice atmospherenotafoodieDined on 8/15/2014The experience was great overall. It is a great location for a nice sit down dinner. It was fun having the food prepared in the same room as the dining, giving the whole ambiance a rustic home-like feel. It is a very unique restaurant, with great service, and even better food. Definitely a place worth eating at. I will be going back. The only problem is that the corn on the cob felt like it glued itself to my teeth, which was slightly annoying to try to get off. It tasted amazing though. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most impressive Provo restaurantfoodlover88Dined on 8/9/2014Everything about the meal was beautiful from start to finish. So many unique flavors that all paired incredibly well. This is definitely a foodie's fine dining at a very reasonable price, and by far the best restaurant I've ever experienced in Provo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014I have been to the Communal many times and have always loved the food. This time it was really subpar. The steak was disgusting--50% fat. The vegetables were tasteless. I've never liked ambiance but it was particularly annoying this time because I was trying to conduct a little bit of business. Service was non existant. The waiter was only visable when he brought the food. I had a reservation for 5 but showed up with 6. It took 20 minutes for them to change the arrangement. Very bad experience. Communal charges way too much for the food and service that I received. Its been awhile since I ate there. It was very different that previous experiences but not in a good way. It will be a long time before I try it again.
- Fried chicken better than grandma'seeetsoutDined on 8/2/2014Have never ordered fried chicken and mashed potatoes out at a nice restaurant but did and it was awesome. Take someone who likes to share....very large portions. We let them know that one person in our party had a walker and they set aside a particular table for us.Special Features:
- Absolutely awesome!thollyfeldDined on 8/2/2014Some of the best food that I've ever had.... I go back as much as I can.... Yummy and creative!Special Features:
- Provo TreasurecommanderspmVIPDined on 8/1/2014We found the food terrific and the place has a great vibe. If you are in Provo, you have to stop in for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience, must try!atyoungDined on 7/30/2014Easily one of the best meals I've had in some time, to the point I returned the next day with 7 of my co-workers and am going again tomorrow. The food was creative, flavorful, and carefully cooked to perfection. It's clear the chef loves his food, which translates it to personal dishes you're excited to share with others. The available wines are great choices, that pair with the menu easily. The only negative I could see is a lack of additional wine options. A more diverse list by bottle would likely make for more lingering patrons, looking for a more leisurely dining experience. Regardless I'm preparing to go for the third time in a week before I leave town, and I will sorly miss this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic!!eatingagentDined on 7/30/2014The food at Communal is peaking right now. I don't know how it could improve itself. The menu is exciting yet familiar and comfy. I wish I had the time to describe the whole meal, but in short detail let me recommend the beets, fried chicken, yukon mashed potatoes, carrots in brown butter, and corn on the cob. I was licking my fingers it was so delicious.Special Features:
- Deliciousness in ProvocaliforniafoodiesDined on 7/29/2014First time at Communal. Love the food! Didn't realize we would all be sitting together, but it was ok. Didn't feel crowded. Salmon delicious. Loved polenta and corn salsa, beet salad good. Pork and peaches had good flavored. Hard to cut. We asked chef to slice up for us. Which they did. Much easier to share. Ours might have needed to be cooked slightly longer. Chocolate cake Devine. I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!outtoeatDined on 7/26/2014We drove past the Communal one night as we were out and though it looked like a great place to eat. We came home and looked it up on the internet to see what the food was like. It was so easy to make a reservation online and we walked in and was seated right away. The food was great! The flavors were amazing!!! The only down side was the amount of food. In our company was a pro football player and portion size was not what we were expecting. If you are looking for a lot of food it is worth it to order 2 entrees!! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieDined on 7/25/2014This was a great dining experience! I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 429 reviews are from the Communal reviews archive.
- fantastic, tasty and creativeEatcakeDined on 7/19/2014I live two counties away, and Communal is worth the drive to Utah County. The menu is varried in taste and texture allowing the shared dishes to blend together masterfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Gem in ProvoFly4FunDined on 7/18/2014Was so nice to find a 5 star quality restaurant in Provo. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Provo RestaurantravingfanDined on 7/18/2014I have been to communal for brunch, lunch, dinner, and even for the fancy 4-course dinner for my friend's birthday. Every single time I have gone, i have absolutely LOVED the food, and I love everything about the place, the service, and where they get it from and how it is served. The communal is also really good about getting involved with community and is the best fine-dining location in downtown. i would even go as far to say this is my absolute favorite restaurant, and I have been around the world simply to eat...Special Features:
- Very NiceaaronmDined on 7/12/2014I was recommended communal several years ago and a bit sad that it took me this long to try it. The food was very good. I had been a little turned off by the prospect of sharing a "communal" table. This is something quite common in other areas such as New York, but not very common here in Utah. However, when we arrived we were greeted nicely and set at a table for two. Apparently, my concerns were unfounded. That said I suspect the situation may have been different during busier hours After reviewing the menu we decided to be a little out of the box, and ordered the Watermelon salad. It was a true treat, Watermelon slices, with a touch of vinaigrette and a fair helping of Feta. The remainder of the meal followed in suit.Special Features:
- this is a true gem , great foodBJCFISHHERFORUDined on 7/10/2014We came to eat wirh great expectations , which are usually disappointed ,but not at the ommunal , amazing salad , the best ribeye steak and pork shouder cooked to perfection, thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!mamesbabesVIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a great meal at Communal while visiting Salt Lake City. Great service and wonderful food. I'd recommend anyone to try this restaurant….you will not be disappointed!!Special Features: