Commonwealth - San Francisco
2224 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Commonwealth - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://commonwealthsf.com/
- Phone: 4153551500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Fox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
A word from Commonwealth - San Francisco
Located in the heart of San Francisco's Mission District, Commonwealth is a progressive American restaurant. Chef Jason Fox takes a decidedly global approach to California's tradition of showcasing local, seasonal foods by incorporating diverse culinary ingredients and techniques. Commonwealth also donates $10 from each of Chef Fox’s tasting menus ($75) to local non-profits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Commonwealth - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Commonwealth - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (43)notable wine list (39)hot spot (21)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Sophisticated, thoughtful and creative food and very reasonable prices for what you get. Portions aren't large but the flavors backed into each dish left me completely satisfied and happy! Umami is alive and very well at this restaurant! One of my favorite restaurants in SF for fine dining.Special Features:
- AmazingducatisbDined on 10/18/2014The tasting menu was amazing, well thought out and expertly prepared. The presentation was artistic. I was most impressed that they were able to accommodate both gluten free and vegetarian options without missing a beat or diminishing the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overthought but not tastyIcequeenDined on 10/17/2014Unthinkable combinations of bland ingredients. Overly complicated but not pleasing to the palette. It just wasn't a tasty meal. The ambiance is boring and the space is just too empty for my taste. I get the idea of simple, non- decorated space but this was underwhelming. I felt silly even being dressed up there. Overall a disappointing dining experience all around.
- Great ambiance, inspired chefRedf00tDined on 10/11/2014We didn't have much in the expectation department before we walked through the door, but we left feeling like rock stars! Of course, the disco ball in the ceiling may have had something to do with this, but it was more likely chef's creations coming out of the kitchen that left us feeling satisfied and wanting MORE... The wine list was well thought out and also delivered! The starter of chips with and nitrous malted vinegar, inspired genius... I had a vegetable dish of Jerusalem artichokes, potatoes, dill, in a delightful sauce such wonderful Scandinavian influences it was a party in my mouth! Chef is definitely playing with flavors from everywhere and we are ALL benefitting. Even their take on a pot de crème was new to us. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You don't want to miss this!BirdieDined on 10/10/2014Remarkable gem on Mission St. I will never go to San Francisco without going to Commonwealth! A must when you are traveling to the bay area!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection of cuisine, and wine tooRPaulHVIPDined on 10/10/2014Closest you can get to a Michelin-starred restaurant, without an official star/s. Cuisine is pure Nature, plus chef creativity to reveal the purity of what God intended in Eden. Service consistently predicts what you need and when -- and the wine service is a perfect match with the food, from all over the world. Easy place to celebrate with foodies. Wish the ambience was one step up; but that just makes the prices reasonable, esp the share to charity.Special Features:
- Interesting flavorsFeedMeNowDined on 10/8/2014I went with a friend and had an early dinner. We both had the tasting menu, but both asked to sub out one of the dishes due to allergies/preferences. The chef accomodated and switched around the order of the tasting menu dishes to make sure that we get the best experience. Yes, the portions are small for each individual dish, but we were plenty full when we finished the meal. Flavors are definitely interesting in a very good way, and we felt like we were eating works of art. Atmosphere was casual and not stuffy at all.Special Features:
- always a hitchickenandeggVIPDined on 10/7/2014when out of town / country friends come to visit i always try to make it to commonwealth. it's one of the best representation of the inventive cuisine we have the opportunity to experience in san francisco. never a false note. if you want to try new flavors, new textures, don't miss it.Special Features:
- Great experienceJesperDined on 9/29/2014We went here for a anniversary dinner. The staff is super friendly and charming, they had no problems making any changes and picked great wine pairings when we needed it. They kept a perfect tempo the whole night through. The food was amazing, with a few courses being truly outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/26/2014Had the prix fixe and wine pairing. All the dishes were fun and inventive and the wine was expertly paired. The sweetbreads and the beer merengue were real standouts.Special Features:
- Love This RestaurantOaklandishDined on 9/18/2014I love Commonwealth. Every time I go, I am astounded by the chef's creativity. We had 6 dishes (they are small) between the 2 of us. We loved 4 of the dishes, enjoyed the 5th and found one dish underwhelming. The fish - Hake - was bland as were the composite elements. Needed salt and probably a bit of spice and certainly acid. But, on the other hand, the Uni with potato fluff and trout roe with lime custard was to die for...could have eaten another plate full! When a chef experiments like this, I'm forgiving if not each dish is the best. I also thought the pork belly outstanding and the hen with liver mousse stuffed bacon crackers, absolutely yummy. I heartily recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Birthday Dinner!CanadianfoodieDined on 9/16/2014Food, staff and ambiance were amazingly perfect. Great evening vibe, the food I think changed my life and the staff were kind, friendly and very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notch flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Every dish was a well orchestrated piece of various and sundry flavors, not all of which you'd expect on one place but all of which sang together. This place delivers a Danko-like level of food quality and creativity, in a more casual setting and at a lower priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongAredubVIPDined on 9/6/2014After half a dozen visits, Commonwealth remains one of my top picks in SF. Each dish we tried was delicious, and I guess we ordered enough that they added a couple of extras. Our wines were great with the food, and the service was just perfect. Everything was just amazing.Special Features:
- Innovative ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014This is one of the most innovative chefs in SF. Fresh ingredients mixed with imaginative flavors, spices and textures. We really enjoyed the tasting menu. The scallops to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food artOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Dinner at Commonwealth was a mixture of great and disappointing. The dishes were beautiful and complex but about half were great and the other half were below average. The desserts were amazing. Smoked mushroom dishes also amazing. Okra and clams dishes nothing special. The service was fantastic.Special Features:
- All around great dining experiencePlanetxoxoDined on 8/30/2014Al around great restaurant. the only disappoint was the "sea urchin, trout roe, potato, little gem lettuce, sea bean, lime cream, pickled wasabi " The sea urchin was a little runny and not plump and fresh Ask the server before you order itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Imaginative and progressive cuisine. A great culinary experience!Special Features:
- Boyfriend's birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This year I took my boyfriend to dinner at Commonwealth for his birthday where we enjoyed the tasting menu. We loved everything on the menu except the sweetbreads. We felt that the flavors did not blend together very well. The ambiance inside was very nice, but the wait staff were a bit aloof and pretentious at times. Overall, however, this was a very enjoyable birthday dinner experience.Special Features:
- Delicate and inventive cuisine.YummersDined on 8/21/2014Each dish was beautifully and delicately crafted and the wine pairings took the meal to the next level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delight for FoodiesCraigSFDined on 8/21/2014Very innovative dishes with the best ingredients that were cooked perfectly. My mouth still waters when I think of the seared scallop and the sweetbreads with truffles that highlighted the meal. The tasting menu is highly recommended and the wine pairings were delicious and well matched with each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Great menu, gorgeous plating, reasonable prices given the quality and nicely decorated. Only downside is it felt a bit like they were trying to rush us our toward the end to get the next seating in, but can you blame them?Special Features:
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been here before but the food is always delicious, visually stunning, and intellectually interesting. I particularly like the flavor contrasts they achieve. Well worth a trip.Special Features:
- Surprising and excitingDannyDined on 8/17/2014First time here. My friend who is a foodie recommended this. The food was very good. Portions was small so don't come hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan friendlyOTfanVIPDined on 8/14/2014The tasting menu was successfully and creatively modified for a vegan and there were substitutions for other diners who did not want to try sweetbreads on the regular tasting menu. We all tried wine pairings, but were not so impressed there. Excellent service and explanations about the foods and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful visually but not tastyJFK2SFODined on 8/11/2014well composed, beautiful to look at, small plates. only decent course was the tiny nuggets of sweetbreads. generally heavily salted food -- and along with the well seasoned potato seaweed chips -- must be designed to get you to order more drinks... which were definitely not generous pours. dessert was very disappointing, tiny slivers of crostini / cheese and what must have been some type of fruit jam but was the insipid in flavor and color. won't be going back any time soon. also - the restaurant has zero ventilation and was hot as a sauna. folks took turns keeping the door open to get a cool draft to flow into the dining room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014I was very disappointed in Commonwealth. The service was so so for such a highly recommended restaurant, the food was disappointing and the noise level was very high. We ordered the pork dish and the pork was very tough. The white German Pinot Noir was excellent however.
- FANTASTICALLY FABULOUSchfrob1Dined on 7/27/2014Ive dined at commonwealth on several occasions and each and every time I am further amazed; as a chef im wowed! The tasting menu is a work of art. My only complaint is the californian wine selection is very limited, and are server was a little reserved.Special Features:
- ThinmanVIPDined on 7/23/2014This is one of the finest of the fine restaurants in San Francisco. The creativity and execution of inspired plates is rarely equaled. athe dining is very inexpensive for the quality and presentation, a small fraction of places as creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!devanicoleVIPDined on 7/19/2014Loved our meal at Commonwealth. Very cool, intimate atmosphere. The food was inventive and delicious. The service was friendly and very attentive.Special Features:
- OutstandingZismanDined on 7/19/2014The staff was lively and attentive. They knew what they were doing. Have you ever had amazing food but bad service? It is a tragedy. We ordered the tasting menu, and this is hands down the way to go here. It was spaced out very well and everything was fabulous. The wine list and the servers recommendations were perfect. My husband did not like the main dish for the tasting and our server did not bat an eye. She simply mentioned it was fine and for him to pick something else. Huh? Wow! Ok....brilliant. I would come back here a thousand times over. The food was perfect, the service was perfect. Perfect perfect.Special Features:
- Review of Commonwealth RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014The food portions were ridiculous. I'm a small eater and I left hungry. There are several farm to table restaurants that are much better.
- ended at at Taqueria Cancun..BetoDined on 7/14/2014I use to live in SF and needed a place to eat with friends on this trip.. went to opentable and Commonwealth had openings - Eater recommended the spot so decide to give it a try. The restaurant next door, "maybe" called Lu Fang had scores of people waiting for a table outside.. great omen, I thought. Our server explained the menu, small plates with inventive ingredients from 11 to 18 bucks.. not bad I thought for a nice dinner in the Mission. The small plates were not small, were diminutive and bare. From the first dish I told my friends jokingly, "if we don't fill up, there's always Taqueria Cancun, a late night favorite. Everyone laughed - kind of.. We finished dinner in under 45 min and headed for some delicious Tacos al Pastor! Yum!Special Features:
- Lots of noise and all togetherChinatownDined on 7/12/2014Lots of noise, tables almost together for a place to be modernSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for a celebrationyumyumDined on 7/11/2014One of the best meals of my life. Wine pairings were amazing, servers accommodated dietary restrictions extremely well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dining experiencedinerVIPDined on 7/7/2014at this wonderful restaurant. We've been coming here since it opened (I followed the chef whose food I admired before) and it just keeps getting better and better. It's not everyone's cup of tea since the menu is unique and the dishes are complex. But if you read the menu and think WOW, you're right. Some of the most innovative cooking in the city and at a really reasonable price for what you get. Superb place!Special Features:
- A Homerun!CarolineDined on 7/7/2014Commonwealth continues to "wow" us! Without a doubt, this is one of the best restaurants in San Francisco. Thanks to Chelina, Alex, and crew for amazing service yet again. We are already looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Interesting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Very plain decor, almost at the level of a diner. In a very sketchy part of the Mission, so be forewarned. The service was impeccable, very friendly, knowledgeable and spot on. The food was quite beautifully presented with interesting combinations and, especially, textures. VERY small protein portions. Sweetbreads were maybe 2 ounces, the Hake, maybe 2-1/2 ounces. The other problem was with the intricate platings some of the components of the dishes were, let's say, less than hot. Maybe it's me, but I guess I'm over the tiny pretty plates where you get four bites and pay $15-20 a course. Not quite smoke and mirrors on the plate, but heading in that direction.Special Features:
- Amazing!Kris10neDined on 7/1/2014The best tasting meny I ever tried. I still dream of the scallop. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Very salty food, small portions, gets very stuffy with only one door for ventilation Nice presentation--just very AVERAGE--not worth the heafty price!
- The following 852 reviews are from the Commonwealth - San Francisco reviews archive.