Commonwealth - San Francisco
2224 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Commonwealth - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://commonwealthsf.com/
- Phone: 4153551500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Fox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
A word from Commonwealth - San Francisco
Located in the heart of San Francisco's Mission District, Commonwealth is a progressive American restaurant. Chef Jason Fox takes a decidedly global approach to California's tradition of showcasing local, seasonal foods by incorporating diverse culinary ingredients and techniques. Commonwealth also donates $10 from each of Chef Fox’s tasting menus ($75) to local non-profits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Commonwealth - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Commonwealth - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (38)notable wine list (31)hot spot (16)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- top notch flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Every dish was a well orchestrated piece of various and sundry flavors, not all of which you'd expect on one place but all of which sang together. This place delivers a Danko-like level of food quality and creativity, in a more casual setting and at a lower priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongAredubVIPDined on 9/6/2014After half a dozen visits, Commonwealth remains one of my top picks in SF. Each dish we tried was delicious, and I guess we ordered enough that they added a couple of extras. Our wines were great with the food, and the service was just perfect. Everything was just amazing.Special Features:
- Innovative ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014This is one of the most innovative chefs in SF. Fresh ingredients mixed with imaginative flavors, spices and textures. We really enjoyed the tasting menu. The scallops to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food artOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Dinner at Commonwealth was a mixture of great and disappointing. The dishes were beautiful and complex but about half were great and the other half were below average. The desserts were amazing. Smoked mushroom dishes also amazing. Okra and clams dishes nothing special. The service was fantastic.Special Features:
- All around great dining experiencePlanetxoxoDined on 8/30/2014Al around great restaurant. the only disappoint was the "sea urchin, trout roe, potato, little gem lettuce, sea bean, lime cream, pickled wasabi " The sea urchin was a little runny and not plump and fresh Ask the server before you order itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Imaginative and progressive cuisine. A great culinary experience!Special Features:
- Boyfriend's birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This year I took my boyfriend to dinner at Commonwealth for his birthday where we enjoyed the tasting menu. We loved everything on the menu except the sweetbreads. We felt that the flavors did not blend together very well. The ambiance inside was very nice, but the wait staff were a bit aloof and pretentious at times. Overall, however, this was a very enjoyable birthday dinner experience.Special Features:
- Delicate and inventive cuisine.YummersDined on 8/21/2014Each dish was beautifully and delicately crafted and the wine pairings took the meal to the next level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delight for FoodiesCraigSFDined on 8/21/2014Very innovative dishes with the best ingredients that were cooked perfectly. My mouth still waters when I think of the seared scallop and the sweetbreads with truffles that highlighted the meal. The tasting menu is highly recommended and the wine pairings were delicious and well matched with each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Great menu, gorgeous plating, reasonable prices given the quality and nicely decorated. Only downside is it felt a bit like they were trying to rush us our toward the end to get the next seating in, but can you blame them?Special Features:
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been here before but the food is always delicious, visually stunning, and intellectually interesting. I particularly like the flavor contrasts they achieve. Well worth a trip.Special Features:
- Surprising and excitingDannyDined on 8/17/2014First time here. My friend who is a foodie recommended this. The food was very good. Portions was small so don't come hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan friendlyOTfanVIPDined on 8/14/2014The tasting menu was successfully and creatively modified for a vegan and there were substitutions for other diners who did not want to try sweetbreads on the regular tasting menu. We all tried wine pairings, but were not so impressed there. Excellent service and explanations about the foods and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful visually but not tastyJFK2SFODined on 8/11/2014well composed, beautiful to look at, small plates. only decent course was the tiny nuggets of sweetbreads. generally heavily salted food -- and along with the well seasoned potato seaweed chips -- must be designed to get you to order more drinks... which were definitely not generous pours. dessert was very disappointing, tiny slivers of crostini / cheese and what must have been some type of fruit jam but was the insipid in flavor and color. won't be going back any time soon. also - the restaurant has zero ventilation and was hot as a sauna. folks took turns keeping the door open to get a cool draft to flow into the dining room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014I was very disappointed in Commonwealth. The service was so so for such a highly recommended restaurant, the food was disappointing and the noise level was very high. We ordered the pork dish and the pork was very tough. The white German Pinot Noir was excellent however.
- FANTASTICALLY FABULOUSchfrob1Dined on 7/27/2014Ive dined at commonwealth on several occasions and each and every time I am further amazed; as a chef im wowed! The tasting menu is a work of art. My only complaint is the californian wine selection is very limited, and are server was a little reserved.Special Features:
- ThinmanVIPDined on 7/23/2014This is one of the finest of the fine restaurants in San Francisco. The creativity and execution of inspired plates is rarely equaled. athe dining is very inexpensive for the quality and presentation, a small fraction of places as creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!devanicoleVIPDined on 7/19/2014Loved our meal at Commonwealth. Very cool, intimate atmosphere. The food was inventive and delicious. The service was friendly and very attentive.Special Features:
- OutstandingZismanDined on 7/19/2014The staff was lively and attentive. They knew what they were doing. Have you ever had amazing food but bad service? It is a tragedy. We ordered the tasting menu, and this is hands down the way to go here. It was spaced out very well and everything was fabulous. The wine list and the servers recommendations were perfect. My husband did not like the main dish for the tasting and our server did not bat an eye. She simply mentioned it was fine and for him to pick something else. Huh? Wow! Ok....brilliant. I would come back here a thousand times over. The food was perfect, the service was perfect. Perfect perfect.Special Features:
- Review of Commonwealth RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014The food portions were ridiculous. I'm a small eater and I left hungry. There are several farm to table restaurants that are much better.
- ended at at Taqueria Cancun..BetoDined on 7/14/2014I use to live in SF and needed a place to eat with friends on this trip.. went to opentable and Commonwealth had openings - Eater recommended the spot so decide to give it a try. The restaurant next door, "maybe" called Lu Fang had scores of people waiting for a table outside.. great omen, I thought. Our server explained the menu, small plates with inventive ingredients from 11 to 18 bucks.. not bad I thought for a nice dinner in the Mission. The small plates were not small, were diminutive and bare. From the first dish I told my friends jokingly, "if we don't fill up, there's always Taqueria Cancun, a late night favorite. Everyone laughed - kind of.. We finished dinner in under 45 min and headed for some delicious Tacos al Pastor! Yum!Special Features:
- Lots of noise and all togetherChinatownDined on 7/12/2014Lots of noise, tables almost together for a place to be modernSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for a celebrationyumyumDined on 7/11/2014One of the best meals of my life. Wine pairings were amazing, servers accommodated dietary restrictions extremely well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dining experiencedinerVIPDined on 7/7/2014at this wonderful restaurant. We've been coming here since it opened (I followed the chef whose food I admired before) and it just keeps getting better and better. It's not everyone's cup of tea since the menu is unique and the dishes are complex. But if you read the menu and think WOW, you're right. Some of the most innovative cooking in the city and at a really reasonable price for what you get. Superb place!Special Features:
- A Homerun!CarolineDined on 7/7/2014Commonwealth continues to "wow" us! Without a doubt, this is one of the best restaurants in San Francisco. Thanks to Chelina, Alex, and crew for amazing service yet again. We are already looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Interesting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014Very plain decor, almost at the level of a diner. In a very sketchy part of the Mission, so be forewarned. The service was impeccable, very friendly, knowledgeable and spot on. The food was quite beautifully presented with interesting combinations and, especially, textures. VERY small protein portions. Sweetbreads were maybe 2 ounces, the Hake, maybe 2-1/2 ounces. The other problem was with the intricate platings some of the components of the dishes were, let's say, less than hot. Maybe it's me, but I guess I'm over the tiny pretty plates where you get four bites and pay $15-20 a course. Not quite smoke and mirrors on the plate, but heading in that direction.Special Features:
- Amazing!Kris10neDined on 7/1/2014The best tasting meny I ever tried. I still dream of the scallop. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Very salty food, small portions, gets very stuffy with only one door for ventilation Nice presentation--just very AVERAGE--not worth the heafty price!
- Thank youAurisDined on 6/22/2014Thank you for very good dinner! We took tasting menu with wine pairing - food was excellent and pairing was perfect.Special Features:
- StefanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Hands down one of the best dining experiences in San Francisco. The tasting menu was perfectly balanced, the wines perfectly paired. The scallop starter was the best Ive ever had in my entire life. Many tasting menus tries to do to much, Commonwealth hits the right mark in amounts of flavors, the arc of the meal, the casaul vibe, great wine pairings, awesome service, simplicity/complexity of dishes.Special Features:
- Most creative and most traditionalFrenchAsianDined on 6/13/2014This is a two star Michelin restaurant that we feel should be three stars. I would encourage anyone to go there before it happens. The candied carrots served on a branch was the most creative in presentation. The tomato consommé was the most traditional. Both tradition and creativity were at their height in the lobster bisque with fried sweetbread and bone marrow. The cream made it French but the construction was Asian. The deserts showed the same combination of creativity and tradition, mixing Asian (daikon, for instance) and French (verbena, for instance) aromas. Our waiter guided us very well on the choices of wines alleviating the burden of drinking too much usually associated with pairings. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A feast for your tastebudspioggerellaDined on 6/5/2014Amazing food : a feast for your tastetbuds and presented beautifully. Everything from the special chips to the wine was delicious and perfect. If you want to taste original and exciting food which should be featured on a cooking magazine, don't miss this place !Special Features:
- Beautiful foodGoodeaterDined on 6/3/2014Commonwealth is one of my favorite dining spots. They cook simple food but in unexpected ways and combinations that really make the ingredients sing. The service can be a little slow, but forget about that and just enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty, SMALL protionsBeverlyVIPDined on 6/2/2014The food popped. The textures were amazing (if not a bit pretentious). But my main course order of sole was about 2" X 1" of fish. Not really enough for an entree. The tasting menu had extremely small bites, but there were enough courses to get by.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014The food was texturally spot-on, and the flavors complemented each other quite well. However, our dishes were pretty underseasoned; a bit disappointing, since everything else was so well-executed.Special Features:
- Flat-out AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014Commonwealth was the star dinner of a San Francisco trip filled with good food. From the start (a tantalizing amuse bouche) to the end, the tasting menu featured hit after hit. Blends of subtle tastes, beautiful plating, a nice room, attentive staff, honestly. We couldn't ask for more. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie's DelightAlobarVIPDined on 5/28/2014First time dining at Commonwealth. We were a group of five. The quality, preparation and presentation of the dishes were outstanding. One of us was a bit taken aback at the "small" portions. However, the rest of us very much got and appreciated what Commonwealth is all about: Quality before Quantity. The wine list is small but very well-chose. Highly recommend Commonwealth to those looking for a culinary experience. You might leave a bit hungry, which is not bad. And if driving, plan ahead for parking!!Special Features:
- Food complexAnnaVIPDined on 5/26/2014Food is complex and the multi-step, multi-ingredient menu must be appreciated. On the other hand, the wait staff, while not condescending exactly, announced the complex ingredients so quickly that we didn't catch all of it and had to ask to be repeated. I think the food deserved a bit more attention than we were given by the wait staff.Special Features:
- A sceneBethDined on 5/26/2014A bit too much of a hipster scene for me to visit this place regularly. Probably no one under age 45 in the whole place when we were there, which felt weird, and everyone seemed to be checking everyone else out, which made it feel like there was little privacy. Also, the acoustics were harsh and loud. That said, the food was creative, fresh, and artfully prepared, and the service was very good. The decor felt too casual and crowded before sunset, but it became more intimate after the sun went down.Special Features:
- Excellent!sftasterDined on 5/25/2014Thank you so much for an excellent meal. Everything we had was delicious and creative. We appreciated the flexibility with the tasting menu. This is a special place, and the bar all other tasting menus will be compared to. For money, it is easily the best dinner in SF.Special Features: