1443 P St. NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.commissarydc.com/
- Phone: (202) 299-0018
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 4pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11am - 5pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ben Tenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andy Phan for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Phan 2026179869
- Special Events: Contact Andy Phan, Events Coordinator, email@example.com
- Cross Street: Between 14th & 15th
- Public Transit: From Dupont Circle: Walk 5 blocks east on P St. Commissary in on P St. between 15h and 14th.
From U Street/Cardozo: Walk 6 blocks south on 13th St. Take a right and walk one and a half blocks west on P St. Commissary is on P St. between 14th and 15th.
From McPherson Sqaure: Walk 7 blocks north on 14th St. Take a left on P St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 15th & Massachusetts, southwest corner: Monday to Friday, 6 am – 12 am. Closed weekends. $12; 1 Thomas Circle (on M Street): Monday to Friday, 7 am – 8 pm. Closed weekends. $13; Holiday Inn on Thomas Circle: 24 hours, 7 days. $13; Colonial Parking: P St. btwn 14th & 15th next to Lululemon. Washington Plaza – 14th and M Streets
A word from Commissary DC
Commissary is a very casual cafe, lounge, liquor, beer and wine bar as well as a coffeehouse and smoothie bar. We serve breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, snacks and a huge selection of desserts. We have a lounge area, outside cafe, strong take-out presence and free wi-fi. We offer a diverse, simple and inexpensive menu; from breakfast all day to Sandwiches, Salads and Pizza all day and night and a dinner selection that kicks in at 5 PM. Wheelchair and Handicap accessible. We accommodate most common food allergies. Happy Hour is available every day from 4-7 PM at the bar and lounge and weekdays on the patio from 4-6 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Commissary DC reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (24)great for brunch (23)great for lunch (16)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (9)late-night find (9)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (1)Show More
- great place for a nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/21/2014they made us feel like they had the busiest night ahead of them. They called me the day before to confirm reservation left me a message. Then they text message me the next day the day of the reservation to make sure I was coming. And then we arrived and when we arrived we only found that the restaurant was half occupied. It was kind of weird but outside of that. We found that the food is excellent the service wasgood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014We were there right when it opened on a Saturday morning and there was already a line. We got seated quickly and the food was great! Loved the open ambience. Couch seats were really cute. We never felt rushed to leave even though there were people waiting. Highly recommend. Consider making a reservation to avoid waiting in line for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyManjuDined on 11/8/2014There was a large party in the middle of the restaurant that was so loud we could barely talk to eachother. We moved once, but it didn't help.Special Features:
- Disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014I brought some friends to Commissary because in the past I enjoyed the food and thought the service was good. Not only did our waiter mess up our bill ("misplacing" and then "finding" 20 dollars we put to pay the bill), but the food was excruciatingly mediocre. The duck was all bone; the beef cheeks all fat; and finally, the buffalo mac n cheese was as if it was taken out of freezer and buffalo wings put on top. So disappointed. I used to really like this restaurant. What happened!?Special Features:
- Delish!anewleafDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed the happy hour special cocktails and prices... and then dinner was delicious too. The scene was lively and fun to be around. This is a great place to get interesting and yummy food... it was also priced reasonably. A great find!Special Features:
- Disappointing ServicezackindcDined on 10/31/2014I've previously had great meals at Commissary DC. This time, the service was atrocious. Our party of four waited 20 ~ 25 minutes for our drinks - consisting of two draft beers, one bottled beer, and a vodka tonic (not including the 10 min we sat at the table waiting for a server to appear). Our appetizer beat the drinks to the table by 5 minutes. Then came the entrées: truffle fries were sent back for the absolute lack of truffle and a bison burger ordered medium-rare was served extremely rare (and cold). Both items were remade and were good the second time. The manager than intervened to apologize and comp that meal, which is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, it was not enough to overcome the awful server and distracted staff.
- Lost football gameNatashaVIPDined on 10/27/2014Our party was meeting specifically to have dinner and watch the football game on a Monday night. I called ahead to make sure that would be possible, and I was told that a really big screen would be set up for the game. Upon arrival we were told the screen was not available. Even though the host tried hard to give us the best possible table for viewing the game, it was really pointless, because there were just small screens over the bar with little or no sound. Our party arrived in spurts, and they didn't seem to mind. We stayed for several hours anyway, and just enjoyed dinner and drinks and conversation. One other problem was it was unusually hot inside the restaurant, which was quite uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Great dinnerMishDined on 10/25/2014Came for my husbands birthday. Great food, service and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salads okay, could be zippieryummyDined on 10/21/2014Arugula salad with sun dried tomatoes sounded as though it would be yummy, and it was okay, the lemon vinaigrette was a little underwhelming. A good dash of pepper certainly did help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggiediners2VIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was reasonably priced and the service was average. It was the first night of serving for our server so she was slightly awkward and slow but nice. The quality of food and dessert was good. The vegan lentil soup is delicious!Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/8/2014We met an out-of-town friend in DC for business and a great meal, a relaxed evening and a patient, capable server. One of our group was tied up at work and didn't arrive until we were almost finished but she was welcomed and served, and we continued a great evening. Well done.Special Features:
- See and be seenConnoisseurDined on 9/30/2014Great service and good sidewalk people watching. See and be seenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The waiter was amazing. I took my visiting parents here for brunch and they very much enjoyed the food and ambiance. The peanut butter fudge cookie pie was amazing!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotFoodie15Dined on 9/27/2014I love Commissary, it's a great neighborhood gem with an affordable wine list and a simple but delicious menu. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Drinks - yes; dinner - noEllenVIPDined on 9/18/2014The hostess and server were pleasant and helpful. Our drinks were lovely; the wine list is short but good. The food was awful. Hangar steak was flavorless and dull in texture and the broccoli with garlic looked and tasted as if it had been boiled and then sprinkled with minced garlic from a jar. The only food we enjoyed was the truffled popcorn. So, enjoy a drink and some popcorn and then go elsewhere for dinner.
- Wonderful serviceNatashaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Always a favorite place to meet with friends and colleagues and have some good conversation and comfort food. Oddly, this time the restaurant was out of ALL fish. Seemed strange. Settled for a burger, which was very good. Server was extremely cheerful and friendly and kept checking if everything was okay. Added a third party unexpectedly and was easily accommodated. Even got separate checks for all three of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The service we had at Commisary was fantastic! Our waiter was extremely attentive and friendly. Tony was especially kind!Special Features:
- Not quite the usual qualityNatashaVIPDined on 9/3/2014This is one our favorite places to eat. This time was a bit disappointing, but not seriously. One order was wrong, the item was replaced, but the replacement wasn't quite cooked enough, probably in order to replace it quickly. The service was good, however, and the error was corrected with apologies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite casual hangoutNatashaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Whenever I want to get together with a friend or colleague for a casual catchup session for business or pleasure, I pick the Commissary and request a quieter corner table. The food is good comfort food, and the service is pleasant. Never feel rushed or encouraged to free up our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got a lot wrongKikiDined on 8/22/2014I asked for no onions on my salad, it came with onions. My mother ordered a tomato and mozzarella pizza, it was really dry, more like white pizza. When my sister asked for her pork chop leftover to be packed to go without the side of spinach, which had way too much garlic, they packed the spinach too. Too loud for conversation. Not a good experience. We would not go back.
- Pretzel Crusted Fried Ice CreamBruncherDined on 8/18/2014Everything was good, but they need to bring back the pretzel-crusted deep fried ice cream. The dessert menu isn't the same without it.Special Features:
- Good ol ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014A good place when you can get in for a nice meal. Staff is extremely friendly, a nice change for the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 292 reviews are from the Commissary DC reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Loved so much we went back next day! However the next day my husband and I ordered the same thing. Smoked salmon and poached eggs on potato pancakes. I had one little piece of salmon and my husband had a piece so large it was folded over 3 or 4 times! I suppose I could have mentioned something but we were in a hurry as we had to get on the road for a 9 hr drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner spotFoodie5Dined on 7/1/2014I ate at Commissary with my parents when they were in town. It was pretty easy to get reservations on a weeknight, even for a larger group. The food was great (try the truffle popcorn!) and the atmosphere pleasant. I have been back a few times since for drinks and it has always been enjoyable, although the happy hour doesn't seem to have the best deals.Special Features:
- Late LunchTimDVIPDined on 7/1/2014We had to find a late lunch spot and many places were closed until 5pm. We've done breakfast here before, but this was just as delicious. The Reuben was wonderful - the smoked meat was the best aspect. We really enjoyed our experience!Special Features:
- SerendipityMealMemoriesDined on 6/25/2014I was going to Studio Theater and decided that Commissary DC was a convenient place for dinner. Neither my friend nor I had ever been there before. Everything that we ordered tasted very good, and the service could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We both agreed that this more than a good place to eat before going to Studio. It is definitely a place that we want to come back to.Special Features:
- Old favoritelamiaminiDined on 6/21/2014I recently had a perfectly cooked pork tenderloin, and my dinner companion said the hamburger was one of the best. I've been stopping at Commissary for years, usually at breakfast for the best pancakes in DC. Food is farm fresh and the service attentive. The family and neighborhood atmosphere are welcoming, even at the bar. And it's the perfect place to stop for drinks/dessert/coffee to discuss the show at the Studio Theater.Special Features:
- The sides are the attractionlogancircleIanDined on 6/16/2014While it can get loud and sometimes too dark, the side dishes and apps are quite good, while the entees are average. Do the kung pao string beans and mac and cheese or ptoato pancakes and skip the main dishes.
- Very Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed a group brunch for Father's Day and it seemed that the restaurant was set up very well to accommodate parties of 5 or more. Great food, fun atmosphere, and reasonable priced. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Join friends for dinner and drinks without breaking the bank!Special Features:
- Awesome PlaceFoodpalDined on 6/14/2014I went to Commissary DC with a couple of friends this past weekend for lunch and had a great time. The ambiance and vibe was great! Although I was on a paleo diet, there were options on the menu that I could choose from without staying hungry or feeling guilty. My friends had the bison and lamb burgers and they claimed they were exceptional.Special Features:
- Good food with good friendsartjamacVIPDined on 6/13/2014Had a great time. The waiter went above & beyond to accommodate. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not a military commissaryPointlessVIPDined on 6/10/2014In DC this marvel of consistency, brains, and panache makes it the head of its class. Our waiter was a Jonah hill wanna be, but more sincere and just a tad less funny. Only thing: "seriously get a happy hour". Duh You haven't had one for the five times we have been their. It's irritatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgersFitFoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014I ordered the veggies burger and it was one of the best I have had. All of their burgers and sandwiches looked delicious so it made deciding hard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun neighborhoodStratteryVIPDined on 6/2/2014Good selection to choose from, great food, fun neighborhood, really enjoyed the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, accommodating staffAllyOTDined on 5/30/2014I met an old friend I'd not seen in ages at Commissary for lunch. The staff was friendly and patient with us, even as we took 15 minutes must to catch up before even looking at menus! My veggie burger was delicious, and a much larger portion than I normally see. Really enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, pleasant restauranthomerandflandersDined on 5/15/2014Pretty good place, in a great location. The food is much better than at some of the more expensive restaurants on 14th Street. The chicken quesadilla appetizer was delicious, with terrific, juicy chicken. Recommend asking for extra guacamole and sour cream. The flank steak is delicious too. The buffalo chicken salad was pretty bland. THe water comes in a big wine bottle, which is nice since you can pour it yourself. Set-up is a bit weird with a bunch of couches in the middle for lounging. OVerall, I highly recommend Commissary over some of more famous neighbors on 14th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, priced fairlyDaveDined on 5/15/2014Had a nice meal with a mixture of vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends. All liked their food but the chicken salad BLT sandwich was too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, outdoor, people-watchingFriendOfGilbertDined on 5/7/2014Great place to find inventive food, a nice outdoor terrace (not scenic, but on an energetic streetscape across from Whole Foods.) Great place to watch hipsters and young professionals.... I'd go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!FedGovEngineerDined on 5/2/2014Our waitress' service was great! She took care of us at all time, didnThe burger salad was good but I expected a little bit more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.