50 Commerce Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.commercerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125242301
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Open daily 4pm until Midnight, Friday and Saturday until 1:00am. Opens Saturday & Sunday at 12pm. Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 11:00pm Friday and Saturday, 5:30pm - 12:00am Saturday Lunch: 12 - 5pm Sunday Brunch: 11am - 4pm, Dinner 5:30 - 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for a private party.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Zazula 9178468852
A word from COMMERCE
Commerce, nestled in the heart of Greenwich Village, is an homage to old New York. The historic space that formerly housed the beloved Grange Hall has been restored by artisan craftsmen. The interior features murals by artist David Joel, restored chestnut booths & a stunning art deco Brunswick bar circa 1941. Owned by Tony Zazula—a founder of Montrachet—& Chef Harold Moore, Commerce presents a contemporary American menu combining global flavors & classic ingredients such as oysters, chicken & steak. Formerly the Executive Chef of Montrachet & Chef de Cuisine of March, Chef Moore brings years of experience working in New York City’s top kitchens, such as Daniel, Jean Georges, & Mercer Kitchen. Moore’s menu is casual yet sophisticated & belies the complex construction of flavors & textures that are telling of his extensive training. New York ObserverContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
COMMERCE reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (114)fit for foodies (100)vibrant bar scene (49)special occasion (48)hot spot (42)good for groups (39)romantic (38)late-night find (26)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (10)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Every bite is greatUpperWestSiderVIPDined on 10/28/2014Everything that comes out of the kitchen is just fantastic. Not good, but fantastic. I had the Steak Diane, root vegetable side, and sweet potato tortelloni appetizer. Seriously couldn't be better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2014Food was fantastic. Love the hamachi, roasted sweet potato tortelloni, brussel sprout salad and the short rib ravioli. Service was excellent. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/22/2014It's a great spot, and the food was delicious, but it's deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAirSchisDined on 10/20/2014Yes, this restaurant is hard to find in the West Village off 7th Avenue. It is well worth the effort though. Excellent service from friendly and competent staff. The menu has many great choices and the food is reasonably priced. All four of us enjoyed our meals. The wine list is decent, but we found some of the choices too expensive. Great ambience where you are made to feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceGerAndGerDined on 10/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and had a wonderful time. Delicious food and excellent service. Particularly loved the short rib ravioli and Maker's Mark ice cream. One of my best dining experience ever.Special Features:
- Expensive! A bit pretenciousPastaChefDined on 10/19/2014I found this on open table based on cost and ratings, opentable said this was 30 and Under per person. You cant even get an app for much less then 20 bucks. Although the food was decent the prices were outrageous even for New York. Come on, $38 for 4oz of poached halibut!?Special Features:
- Great service, food okayaprilluv4VIPDined on 10/19/2014Sundays are a bit roomier so we didn't feel crammed like the other reviews stated. The drinks were great, although they ran out of the tequila drink I wanted. The service was great, not rushed at all. The food was hit and miss for me. The carbonara had fresh noodles but it was soupy. The gnocchi was delicious and my friend enjoyed the salisbury steak very much. The side of vegetables for $10 tasted like I was chewing a sprig of rosemary. I had a bite and that was it. Skip it.
- Pre-theaterJillwDined on 10/19/2014I went to a matinee at the Cherry Lane and Commerce is conveniently catty-corner to the theater. Just be warned to give yourself a reservation and plenty of time if you're going for brunch. We were seated at around 1, and though we got our coffee immediately, it was still almost an hour before we were served our main meal at brunch, which for us was fine as our show was at three. I saw many people getting large generous brunch drinks. Though not earth-shattering the food is very good. The bread basket is great, I had a salad that was well seasoned, the bacon was crisp and artisinal, not the usual packaged stuff...ingredients were fresh and the range of brunch choices were "something for everybody." The ambiance is wood and Deco and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed ReturnLeighVIPDined on 10/19/2014I've lived the village for years and have eaten at commerce many times. I've always loved the coziness, service and food quality --these are the things that have brought me back again and again. That said, I was thoroughly disappointed with my brunch on Sunday. It took over an hour and 30 minutes to get our entrees, the chef kept coming out and arguing with other tables about their food, and the quality of our dishes was subpar. I am truly disappointed as this was a staple in my restaurant rotation and after my experience I don't see how I could go back.
- great food with NYC feel.zstarVIPDined on 10/18/2014the cocktails were pretty good. the food and the service were excellent. but the best thing about this place is that it "feels like NYC". it's very busy, with lots of people in a small space and plenty of NYC bustle. the ambiance really makes this place. I would defintely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding A great "find" in NYChc1010Dined on 10/18/2014Outstanding and the staff was great ! Fron the minute you walk in the staff was greatSpecial Features:
- What Happened to Neighborhood Gem?NYDinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Hadn't eaten at Commerce in a while so made a post-theater 9pm reservation and showed up to find the place swarmed with hordes of young preppie kids occupying every inch of space. What happened to this neighborhood gem? It felt like the overflow from JG Melon's uptown had migrated downtown and packed the place. We couldn't even make our way to the bar to get a drink and, to add insult to injury, were made to wait 45 minutes for our table. Seems even the original front of the house professionalism has long since departed. Note to self and reader: unless you're in your mid-20s and are still enamored enough with the fact that you just moved to NYC to wait an inappropriate amount of time for a table, take your business elsewhere....Special Features:
- Always greatpadutchVIPDined on 10/17/2014We are repeat customers here. The food and service are fabulous. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very solidSazonovDined on 10/13/2014A great place for a date or a small group 4-6. Everything is very good and at least one course is always delicious. Smart, friendly, knowledgable staff. I will always return.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentfresser53Dined on 10/12/2014Dinner at Commerce is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The quality of the ingredients and the preparations are excellent; the food isn't trendy or fussy, but just straightforward, with all the subtleties that make food good. It seems like the chef thinks more about how to get the most out of each dish, rather than knocking your socks off with novelty. That's the kind of food I prefer. Service was friendly, efficient and well-informed. And of course the old Blue Mill Tavern/Grange Hall space is a great spot. One quibble: The acoustics could be better—I'm not a big fan of having to shout across the table, and I don't know why NYC restaurants think noise equals vibe.Special Features:
- Davichon1Dined on 10/11/2014The food is excellent but they made us wait more then 45 minutes after our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, great atmosphereLizzysamDined on 10/11/2014I went here with three of my friends. We ordered the tortellini as an appetizer to share, so flavorful and melts in your mouth. I would go back for that dish alone. I ordered the Steak Diane, which was paired with green beans and potatoes. The filet was delicious, tender and was cooked to perfection. The entire meal was amazing, even the bread basket was worth going back for. We ended the meal with coconut cake and the banana pudding. Both tasty, but the coconut cake was my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new found favoriteFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 10/11/2014The noise and crammed in seats was a turn off. But the service and attention, not to mention the fabulous food go a long way towards making up for it. They have a wonderful selection of wines; we had a delicious Italian. The food came fairly quickly considering how busy the place was. I had short rib ravioli which was phenomenal!! I would recommend Commerce, it definitely lives up to expectations, a great neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Love this place!OnelapVIPDined on 10/10/2014Although a bit too loud, and a bit too close, it somehow all works to give a great vibe. Because the food is so amazing, starting with the bread basket, and continuing to be consistently wonderful through each course; and because the service so especially friendly and helpful, it continues to be one of our favorite restaurants in NYC.Special Features:
- Commerce experienceTomfromPaDined on 10/7/2014There is a reason we went back to Commerce from last year. Commerce di not let us down! The toast with quail eggs were a superb appetizer. I had the veal meat ball dish and it was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M. SouterTerritoryVIPDined on 10/3/2014The location, architecture, interior and food is great. The audience is young, very-very loud and it made it horrible to have a conversation with out yelling. Unfortunately we couldn't wait to get outside for some peace.Special Features:
- Very noisyOllieDined on 10/3/2014Arrived on time. 4 people given a table for 2 in bar area. Embarrassing when entertaining guests. Very loud. Food ok. This place is so popular I think management believes they can do whatever they want - cramming people into any space available.Special Features:
- very goodmarkcDined on 9/29/2014distinctive, great food. Nothing generic extra characters because this stupid program requires that you be wordySpecial Features:
- Still great but too crowdedbkfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014This has been on of my favorite restaurants since the Grange Hall days. I've had many great meals, and celebrated many special occasions here. The food has always been outstanding, the wonderful decor remains largely intact. My negatives are that they reservation system fails (be prepared to wait for your table even with a reservation). They seem set on cramming as many customers into the space as possible. With dining tables in the bar area and barely any space to pass between chairs, they could not squeeze one more table into this place - but they will surely try. I saw one table with a makeshift folding chair. The bar ran out of glasses. And the noise level is very loud. Accommodating fewer customers would make for a better experience.Special Features:
- So close but so farLONSFDined on 9/27/2014Commerce could have been great but... our table of 5 was crammed into a claustrophobic booth with a folding chair at the head of the table, directly behind the hostess who kept accidently bumping into my friend sitting there. It was a Saturday night and the restaurant was absolutely packed- could have been a great vibe except the noise level was absolutely off the charts and we could barely even yell across the table, it was a hot New York evening and a/c seemed non existent, and it took over an hour from ordering for our mains to come out with not even some extra bread or an apology for the wait. I'd like to hope we were there on an off night....the neighborhood is fantastic and the food was decent but not worth all the other issues.
- Not my vibeWhnycVIPDined on 9/23/2014A bit stuffy and lacking style and vibe especially for such a charming west village location. No complaints about the food.
- Go, but not on Friday.DgNYCVIPDined on 9/19/2014I've been coming to Commerce for years, with nothing but positives to say about the food and quality of service. It's because of all of this that I booked a table for four last night (Friday night) to celebrate a special occasion with friends. It is also because of all of this that I was so disappointed after waiting an hour and 10 minutes at the packed and understaffed bar before we were finally shown to our table for our 8PM reservation. Obvious over booking. In the end the restaurant deducted what they called a "long wait" discount which was a nice gesture but a kind apology and perhaps a round of drinks at the start of the evening could have been more successful at reviving our moods and saving the evening. Too little, much too late.Special Features:
- FabulousZekeDined on 9/14/2014Took some Boston friends who wanted a "real NY restaurant" experience. Tucked away on the heart of Old Greenwich Village, this gem provides outstanding, food, wine & service. An eclectic menu with something for everyone; you just can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite place...LBerDined on 9/14/2014Brunch on Sundays, lunch or dinner with friends, we always think of Commerce. AMAZING cinnamon rolls - (we even had a cinnamon roll cake at a wedding we attended at Commerce) - BLT soup, deviled eggs, the fish, croque madame/monseiur. All are favorites. The staff is always attentive and welcoming. The noise level can be an issue when the restaurant is packed, but we keep going back and back. Our out of town guests always feel they've received a wonderful New York experience at Commerce.Special Features:
- Long WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was great, however it was a super busy night at the restaurant and we weren't sat until almost an hour after our reservation. The bar was so crowded it was hard to even get a drink while waiting.Special Features:
- SarahDined on 9/13/2014Very noisy, eating between waiting people near the bar. Very poor dining, don't try the gnocchi or the beef ravioli.Special Features:
- Disappointed.Dutchman2Dined on 9/10/2014The location and interior of the restaurant is what romantic comedies are made of. Very charming side street and quiet neighborhood. Once we got into the resturant, the noise level was so loud we almosted walked out. The two of us were seated between two parties of six. Quick service, helpful and polite. We ordered only main course, which was good, but nothing to write home about. After most of the loud people left, the noice level went down so I could have a conversation with my partner. I ordered the cookies off the dessert menu which were terrific, served warm - delicious. Probably will not go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!carrollGDined on 9/8/2014Always GREAT! Service and Food are both Amazing. I take Family and Friends there and everyone agrees that it is the must go to place when we get together. The ONLY problem I have ever found is the Wine List. It needs help.Special Features:
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/7/2014Asked waitress to hold off putting in order until we had some time with our drinks but she ignored us and dinner came right after drinks. She was like a zombie. In and our in 30 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServicePshhhhVIPDined on 9/5/20148:45 reservation, sat at 9:45, ordered at 10:30, charged us for random stuff, were not very niceSpecial Features:
- Great ambiance, great foodwolfgang538Dined on 9/5/2014Amazing bread basket. Whole roasted chicken for two=Best chicken dish I have ever had. PeriodSpecial Features:
- Good but priceyThatswhatIlikeDined on 9/4/2014Great atmosphere, original but limited entree list. Quite pricey. Very good service. Awesome cocktails.Special Features:
- DeafeningLive2eatVIPDined on 9/4/2014Chicken was delicious but they had to hunt it down. We waited so long. Alternatively someone got the order screwed up. We sat behind noisy peoe but I guess what restaurant isn't noisy these daysSpecial Features:
- Mer3dithVIPDined on 9/1/2014We ate at Commerce on a Monday night, so it was quite quiet, though the bar area was very busy. Can definitely see that it would be very noisy and crowded if all of the tables were full. We really enjoyed the eclectic menu, though it was a bit challenging for us to each find an appetizer and an main that "went together" as a meal. Standouts for us were the delicious cocktails, the deviled eggs w/ bacon, the smoked wax bean side dish (unlike anything we'd ever had before) and the enormous slice of coconut cake. Portions are generous - we found ordering an appetizer and main course didn't allow us enough room to fully enjoy the delicious dessert.Special Features:
- Loved It1MapleLaneDined on 8/29/2014Food, setting and service were terrific at our lunch for 6. Something for everyone on the focused lunch menu. Some interesting wine selections. And service was really excellent, from start to finish. We'll go back for sure, for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.