50 Commerce Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.commercerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125242301
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Open daily 4pm until Midnight, Friday and Saturday until 1:00am. Opens Saturday & Sunday at 12pm. Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 11:00pm Friday and Saturday, 5:30pm - 12:00am Saturday Lunch: 12 - 5pm Sunday Brunch: 11am - 4pm, Dinner 5:30 - 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for a private party.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Zazula 9178468852
A word from COMMERCE
Commerce, nestled in the heart of Greenwich Village, is an homage to old New York. The historic space that formerly housed the beloved Grange Hall has been restored by artisan craftsmen. The interior features murals by artist David Joel, restored chestnut booths & a stunning art deco Brunswick bar circa 1941. Owned by Tony Zazula—a founder of Montrachet—& Chef Harold Moore, Commerce presents a contemporary American menu combining global flavors & classic ingredients such as oysters, chicken & steak. Formerly the Executive Chef of Montrachet & Chef de Cuisine of March, Chef Moore brings years of experience working in New York City’s top kitchens, such as Daniel, Jean Georges, & Mercer Kitchen. Moore’s menu is casual yet sophisticated & belies the complex construction of flavors & textures that are telling of his extensive training. New York ObserverContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
COMMERCE reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (102)fit for foodies (95)special occasion (53)hot spot (40)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (38)romantic (37)great for brunch (27)notable wine list (24)late-night find (22)great for lunch (7)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014Took some Boston friends who wanted a "real NY restaurant" experience. Tucked away on the heart of Old Greenwich Village, this gem provides outstanding, food, wine & service. An eclectic menu with something for everyone; you just can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite place...LBerDined on 9/14/2014Brunch on Sundays, lunch or dinner with friends, we always think of Commerce. AMAZING cinnamon rolls - (we even had a cinnamon roll cake at a wedding we attended at Commerce) - BLT soup, deviled eggs, the fish, croque madame/monseiur. All are favorites. The staff is always attentive and welcoming. The noise level can be an issue when the restaurant is packed, but we keep going back and back. Our out of town guests always feel they've received a wonderful New York experience at Commerce.Special Features:
- Long WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was great, however it was a super busy night at the restaurant and we weren't sat until almost an hour after our reservation. The bar was so crowded it was hard to even get a drink while waiting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Very noisy, eating between waiting people near the bar. Very poor dining, don't try the gnocchi or the beef ravioli.Special Features:
- Disappointed.Dutchman2Dined on 9/10/2014The location and interior of the restaurant is what romantic comedies are made of. Very charming side street and quiet neighborhood. Once we got into the resturant, the noise level was so loud we almosted walked out. The two of us were seated between two parties of six. Quick service, helpful and polite. We ordered only main course, which was good, but nothing to write home about. After most of the loud people left, the noice level went down so I could have a conversation with my partner. I ordered the cookies off the dessert menu which were terrific, served warm - delicious. Probably will not go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!carrollGDined on 9/8/2014Always GREAT! Service and Food are both Amazing. I take Family and Friends there and everyone agrees that it is the must go to place when we get together. The ONLY problem I have ever found is the Wine List. It needs help.Special Features:
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/7/2014Asked waitress to hold off putting in order until we had some time with our drinks but she ignored us and dinner came right after drinks. She was like a zombie. In and our in 30 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServicePshhhhVIPDined on 9/5/20148:45 reservation, sat at 9:45, ordered at 10:30, charged us for random stuff, were not very niceSpecial Features:
- Great ambiance, great foodwolfgang538Dined on 9/5/2014Amazing bread basket. Whole roasted chicken for two=Best chicken dish I have ever had. PeriodSpecial Features:
- Good but priceyThatswhatIlikeDined on 9/4/2014Great atmosphere, original but limited entree list. Quite pricey. Very good service. Awesome cocktails.Special Features:
- DeafeningLive2eatVIPDined on 9/4/2014Chicken was delicious but they had to hunt it down. We waited so long. Alternatively someone got the order screwed up. We sat behind noisy peoe but I guess what restaurant isn't noisy these daysSpecial Features:
- Loved It1MapleLaneDined on 8/29/2014Food, setting and service were terrific at our lunch for 6. Something for everyone on the focused lunch menu. Some interesting wine selections. And service was really excellent, from start to finish. We'll go back for sure, for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mimiDined on 8/20/2014Second time and still impressed. Food and staff,divine..Will go back soon agaon!!Special Features:
- Nice bar, small crowded restaurantPMNYCVIPDined on 8/16/2014We started at the bar where the bartender couldn't have been more helpful. We had a couple of cocktails which were excellent. We tried 3 different kinds and the East Side was the big winner. When we moved to the table we were seated in a booth for 2 even though there were 3 of us - all guys and two of us are big guys. We were moved to another pretty small table but it was better than the first. The service was dreadful. The waiter would not take our appetizer order until we knew what main courses we wanted. The 3 appetizers came out at different times - luckily we were sharing. We then waited 30 minutes for our main course and had to ask a manager the status. The pork chop was bad and looked rare. The only thing fast was getting the check.Special Features:
- First VisitLiamVIPDined on 8/14/2014I loved the warm and relaxed feel of this place. I definitely would return to try more dishes. For appetizers we had the avocado toast, the marinated hamachi, and the sautéed broccoli as a side dish. Both appetizers were delicious, but the sautéed broccoli was overpowered by the burnt garlic. As for the entrees, we had, as recommended by our waitress, the red snapper and the ricotta gnocchi. Both were great choices, but the snapper didn't (to me) worth $38.00. An highlight of our evening was sitting next to Anne Burrell, the "culinary rock star" from Iron Chef. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable - they even had a sommelier that helped us chose our wine! :)Special Features:
- AMAZING!carrollGDined on 8/14/2014Hands Down My Favorite Restaurant In My Neighborhood. Even if I did not live 2 blocks away I would eat here often!Special Features:
- Great placePBsanDined on 8/14/2014Food & service were excellent. Only issue was it is noisy.Special Features:
- DinemdVIPDined on 8/14/2014Good food and a great waitress, but evening spoiled by a rude maître d
- The food is amazing!LBerDined on 8/14/2014BLT Soup was like nothing I've eaten before. I'll go back just for that! Wonderful deviled eggs. How often do you see these items on a menu. Amazing Sea Bream fish that was so light and flaky topped with the sweetest and light lemon sauce. Bravo Chef Harold! The staff is attentive but entrees were held up in the kitchen. The noise level is just too much so we'll try to go as early as possible. Tables are too close together. But what a menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was so surprisedwendalaVIPDined on 8/12/2014We were going to a play at the Cherry Lane theater.. so this was almost next door and always wanted to try! We loved it.. and will be back theater or no theater.. The pork milanese was pounded thin and delish.. and the carbonara was very good not as good as lupa.. the salads dessert and broccoli with garlic amazing.. The bread was homemade and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all good !!MissyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Lovely gem. Great food. Great service. Relaxing ambience. Definitely a find. Would return 100 percent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service continues to go downhillbigromenycVIPDined on 8/9/2014As a frequent visitor to Commerce, I am extremely disappointed with the service. Our reservation was for 8:30pm, but we weren't seated until 9:15pm. The hostess was not apologetic, in fact, was visibly annoyed that we asked when our table would be ready after waiting for 30 minutes. The sound level in the restaurant is outrageous. It's impossible to have a conversation at your table without yelling. The food took forever to come out, including the appetizers, as did our wine. I don't blame the waitress as clearly she's not in control of what happens in the kitchen. After burning my tongue on the scolding corn side dish and being sent home with a doggie bag of someone else's leftovers, I think I'm officially done with this place.Special Features:
- BigmigsBigmigsDined on 8/9/2014The chicken for two is outstanding!! Also, try the sweet potato tortellini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, but noisyMiamiKVIPDined on 8/8/2014My favorites were the roasted chicken, deviled eggs, and their bread basket (with salted butter)! The chicken (for 2) is very big - prob enough for 3 peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude, rude, rudeRGS218VIPDined on 8/2/2014From the moment we walked in, everyone on staff with whom we dealt made it clear they couldn't wait for us to get out of there. We had our menus less than one minute when they asked us what we wanted to order--then came back again about a minute later and were annoyed we had not yet decided. The waitress was cold and snippy and sarcastic. The food was mediocre at best. I think they wanted us out of there because it was a young, hip crowd and as middle aged people we didn't fit the demographic they wanted to be seen in their establishment. I would NEVER go back there.
- good for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014I find the food good but expensive for what it is. fun atmosphere. good place to take someone from out of townSpecial Features:
- Worst experience in quiet some timeProseVIPDined on 8/1/2014Salad order, no parsley or onions. Server checked to see if ok, came back & said ok. Arrived with parsley & onions, missing menu listed scallions. Please have kitchen replace it. No but manager on his way over. Why? Food issues has to be addressed by manager. Chef does not alter his dishes, only serves as created (not matching menu is ok?). Why take order/confirm/put in when chef wont do it? Could have ordered something else. Manager said no parsley or onions in it. Hmm. When told an allergy issue, says server asked & was told no". Server told us & him she had not asked. Manager made it up. 1 person didnt have appetizer. Entrees very good to mediocre. Dessert simple but excellent. & an unsolicited check in middle of dessert. Really?Special Features:
- Never disappointsAlexaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Yes it can get noisy, yes the service can seem a bit rushed....but the food never disappoints! Have had several memorable meals here and look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmToro2014VIPDined on 7/29/2014The room is too loud. Food is good but too expensive, portions are quite small. Overall not wirth the price.
- Get the ChickenFatherof5Dined on 7/26/2014You never order chicken in a restaurant? I don't either but at Commerce my three grown children, who had all eaten there before said, "Get the chicken!" So I did and it was special; just as special as the Coconut Cake. Commerce has great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable meal!DaveEVIPDined on 7/25/2014My wife selected Commerce primarily because they they have a "birthday cake" dessert and we were celebrating her birthday. However, we found the rest of the meal to be very, very good (and, to be honest I think the "best coconut cake" to be even better than the b-day cake!). We started with cocktails at the bar which were excellent (and they better be at $14.50 per). Our apps of fried oysters, deviled eggs and hamachi started things off nicely. Our entrees included gnocchi, veal meatballs, pork schnitzel and Steak Diane and we shared all and loved them all. Already mentioned dessert. A very nice meal in a tucked-away street...what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great West Village gemSHEShopsDined on 7/21/2014Nestled in the West Village, this Resteraunt has had a lot of incarnations. A bit of an eclectic menu but the tortellini and the schnitzel were very good. The main dining room is very very loud though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHofstra64VIPDined on 7/20/2014It was truly a most enjoyable experience. The food; the service; made this a memorable eating out experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...MichaelVIPDined on 7/19/2014A number of dishes were well-executed and delicious, including the rabbit pâtè, gnocchi, and hangar steak. I thought the carbonara had a much too smoky flavor, to the point of distraction. The service was excellent. The biggest problem was the noise - my ears are still ringing. That alone would make me hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- Together AgainWhineNdineDined on 7/19/2014I had a long overdue catch-up with some girlfriends and Commerce was a great place to host such an occasion and indulge ourselves with a treat. The best breadbasket in the city, the incredible red snapper (and corn dish side to share) and then the legendary coconut cake... Everything was divine! Although, pricier than your average dinner place in the West Village, it was still worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Family Won't Go Anywhere ElseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Commerce is great for getting a group together for a special celebration or family togetherness. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and cozySarabVIPDined on 7/15/2014Feels like a cozy neighborhood pub with excellent food. We sat by the bar, very full and noisy. A bit too noisy. Interesting cocktail list. Tasty tomato salad..not sure why it had tofu chunks. Really yummy starter of tortelloni. An autumn dish we enjoyed in July. I would returnSpecial Features:
- IT WAS LOUDMackerDined on 7/12/2014I was expecting to have a good meal at a "classic NY establishment" but was inundated by noise and a poorly air conditioned space.
- still great but...luv2dineVIPDined on 7/8/2014Is success going to Commerce's head? It has been one if my favirite restaurants for several years. But I was disappointed to see the rise in prices. Also we felt we were being really rushed in spite of the fact that we were the only customers when we arrived. I had made a very early reservation to avoid this. That said, the pork schnitzel and avocado toast were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceManhattanetteDined on 7/6/2014Our group was well taken care of, and everyone was happy. We had an excellent time!Special Features: