50 Commerce Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.commercerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125242301
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Open daily 4pm until Midnight, Friday and Saturday until 1:00am. Opens Saturday & Sunday at 12pm. Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 11:00pm Friday and Saturday, 5:30pm - 12:00am Saturday Lunch: 12 - 5pm Sunday Brunch: 11am - 4pm, Dinner 5:30 - 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for a private party.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Zazula 9178468852
A word from COMMERCE
Commerce, nestled in the heart of Greenwich Village, is an homage to old New York. The historic space that formerly housed the beloved Grange Hall has been restored by artisan craftsmen. The interior features murals by artist David Joel, restored chestnut booths & a stunning art deco Brunswick bar circa 1941. Owned by Tony Zazula—a founder of Montrachet—& Chef Harold Moore, Commerce presents a contemporary American menu combining global flavors & classic ingredients such as oysters, chicken & steak. Formerly the Executive Chef of Montrachet & Chef de Cuisine of March, Chef Moore brings years of experience working in New York City’s top kitchens, such as Daniel, Jean Georges, & Mercer Kitchen. Moore’s menu is casual yet sophisticated & belies the complex construction of flavors & textures that are telling of his extensive training. New York ObserverContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
COMMERCE reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (106)fit for foodies (102)special occasion (56)vibrant bar scene (48)hot spot (44)good for groups (41)romantic (34)great for brunch (30)late-night find (27)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- mimiDined on 8/20/2014Second time and still impressed. Food and staff,divine..Will go back soon agaon!!Special Features:
- Nice bar, small crowded restaurantPMNYCVIPDined on 8/16/2014We started at the bar where the bartender couldn't have been more helpful. We had a couple of cocktails which were excellent. We tried 3 different kinds and the East Side was the big winner. When we moved to the table we were seated in a booth for 2 even though there were 3 of us - all guys and two of us are big guys. We were moved to another pretty small table but it was better than the first. The service was dreadful. The waiter would not take our appetizer order until we knew what main courses we wanted. The 3 appetizers came out at different times - luckily we were sharing. We then waited 30 minutes for our main course and had to ask a manager the status. The pork chop was bad and looked rare. The only thing fast was getting the check.Special Features:
- First VisitLiamVIPDined on 8/14/2014I loved the warm and relaxed feel of this place. I definitely would return to try more dishes. For appetizers we had the avocado toast, the marinated hamachi, and the sautéed broccoli as a side dish. Both appetizers were delicious, but the sautéed broccoli was overpowered by the burnt garlic. As for the entrees, we had, as recommended by our waitress, the red snapper and the ricotta gnocchi. Both were great choices, but the snapper didn't (to me) worth $38.00. An highlight of our evening was sitting next to Anne Burrell, the "culinary rock star" from Iron Chef. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable - they even had a sommelier that helped us chose our wine! :)Special Features:
- AMAZING!carrollGDined on 8/14/2014Hands Down My Favorite Restaurant In My Neighborhood. Even if I did not live 2 blocks away I would eat here often!Special Features:
- Great placePBsanDined on 8/14/2014Food & service were excellent. Only issue was it is noisy.Special Features:
- DinemdVIPDined on 8/14/2014Good food and a great waitress, but evening spoiled by a rude maître d
- The food is amazing!LBerDined on 8/14/2014BLT Soup was like nothing I've eaten before. I'll go back just for that! Wonderful deviled eggs. How often do you see these items on a menu. Amazing Sea Bream fish that was so light and flaky topped with the sweetest and light lemon sauce. Bravo Chef Harold! The staff is attentive but entrees were held up in the kitchen. The noise level is just too much so we'll try to go as early as possible. Tables are too close together. But what a menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was so surprisedwendalaVIPDined on 8/12/2014We were going to a play at the Cherry Lane theater.. so this was almost next door and always wanted to try! We loved it.. and will be back theater or no theater.. The pork milanese was pounded thin and delish.. and the carbonara was very good not as good as lupa.. the salads dessert and broccoli with garlic amazing.. The bread was homemade and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all good !!MissyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Lovely gem. Great food. Great service. Relaxing ambience. Definitely a find. Would return 100 percent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service continues to go downhillbigromenycVIPDined on 8/9/2014As a frequent visitor to Commerce, I am extremely disappointed with the service. Our reservation was for 8:30pm, but we weren't seated until 9:15pm. The hostess was not apologetic, in fact, was visibly annoyed that we asked when our table would be ready after waiting for 30 minutes. The sound level in the restaurant is outrageous. It's impossible to have a conversation at your table without yelling. The food took forever to come out, including the appetizers, as did our wine. I don't blame the waitress as clearly she's not in control of what happens in the kitchen. After burning my tongue on the scolding corn side dish and being sent home with a doggie bag of someone else's leftovers, I think I'm officially done with this place.Special Features:
- BigmigsBigmigsDined on 8/9/2014The chicken for two is outstanding!! Also, try the sweet potato tortellini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, but noisyMiamiKVIPDined on 8/8/2014My favorites were the roasted chicken, deviled eggs, and their bread basket (with salted butter)! The chicken (for 2) is very big - prob enough for 3 peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude, rude, rudeRGS218VIPDined on 8/2/2014From the moment we walked in, everyone on staff with whom we dealt made it clear they couldn't wait for us to get out of there. We had our menus less than one minute when they asked us what we wanted to order--then came back again about a minute later and were annoyed we had not yet decided. The waitress was cold and snippy and sarcastic. The food was mediocre at best. I think they wanted us out of there because it was a young, hip crowd and as middle aged people we didn't fit the demographic they wanted to be seen in their establishment. I would NEVER go back there.
- good for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014I find the food good but expensive for what it is. fun atmosphere. good place to take someone from out of townSpecial Features:
- Worst experience in quiet some timeProseVIPDined on 8/1/2014Salad order, no parsley or onions. Server checked to see if ok, came back & said ok. Arrived with parsley & onions, missing menu listed scallions. Please have kitchen replace it. No but manager on his way over. Why? Food issues has to be addressed by manager. Chef does not alter his dishes, only serves as created (not matching menu is ok?). Why take order/confirm/put in when chef wont do it? Could have ordered something else. Manager said no parsley or onions in it. Hmm. When told an allergy issue, says server asked & was told no". Server told us & him she had not asked. Manager made it up. 1 person didnt have appetizer. Entrees very good to mediocre. Dessert simple but excellent. & an unsolicited check in middle of dessert. Really?Special Features:
- Never disappointsAlexaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Yes it can get noisy, yes the service can seem a bit rushed....but the food never disappoints! Have had several memorable meals here and look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmToro2014VIPDined on 7/29/2014The room is too loud. Food is good but too expensive, portions are quite small. Overall not wirth the price.
- Get the ChickenFatherof5Dined on 7/26/2014You never order chicken in a restaurant? I don't either but at Commerce my three grown children, who had all eaten there before said, "Get the chicken!" So I did and it was special; just as special as the Coconut Cake. Commerce has great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable meal!DaveEVIPDined on 7/25/2014My wife selected Commerce primarily because they they have a "birthday cake" dessert and we were celebrating her birthday. However, we found the rest of the meal to be very, very good (and, to be honest I think the "best coconut cake" to be even better than the b-day cake!). We started with cocktails at the bar which were excellent (and they better be at $14.50 per). Our apps of fried oysters, deviled eggs and hamachi started things off nicely. Our entrees included gnocchi, veal meatballs, pork schnitzel and Steak Diane and we shared all and loved them all. Already mentioned dessert. A very nice meal in a tucked-away street...what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great West Village gemSHEShopsDined on 7/21/2014Nestled in the West Village, this Resteraunt has had a lot of incarnations. A bit of an eclectic menu but the tortellini and the schnitzel were very good. The main dining room is very very loud though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHofstra64VIPDined on 7/20/2014It was truly a most enjoyable experience. The food; the service; made this a memorable eating out experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...MichaelVIPDined on 7/19/2014A number of dishes were well-executed and delicious, including the rabbit pâtè, gnocchi, and hangar steak. I thought the carbonara had a much too smoky flavor, to the point of distraction. The service was excellent. The biggest problem was the noise - my ears are still ringing. That alone would make me hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- Together AgainWhineNdineDined on 7/19/2014I had a long overdue catch-up with some girlfriends and Commerce was a great place to host such an occasion and indulge ourselves with a treat. The best breadbasket in the city, the incredible red snapper (and corn dish side to share) and then the legendary coconut cake... Everything was divine! Although, pricier than your average dinner place in the West Village, it was still worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Family Won't Go Anywhere ElseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Commerce is great for getting a group together for a special celebration or family togetherness. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and cozySarabVIPDined on 7/15/2014Feels like a cozy neighborhood pub with excellent food. We sat by the bar, very full and noisy. A bit too noisy. Interesting cocktail list. Tasty tomato salad..not sure why it had tofu chunks. Really yummy starter of tortelloni. An autumn dish we enjoyed in July. I would returnSpecial Features:
- IT WAS LOUDMackerDined on 7/12/2014I was expecting to have a good meal at a "classic NY establishment" but was inundated by noise and a poorly air conditioned space.
- still great but...luv2dineVIPDined on 7/8/2014Is success going to Commerce's head? It has been one if my favirite restaurants for several years. But I was disappointed to see the rise in prices. Also we felt we were being really rushed in spite of the fact that we were the only customers when we arrived. I had made a very early reservation to avoid this. That said, the pork schnitzel and avocado toast were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceManhattanetteDined on 7/6/2014Our group was well taken care of, and everyone was happy. We had an excellent time!Special Features:
- Another great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Went to Commerce on an early Saturday evening. The food was - as always - delicious! They start you off with a variety of rolls and soft salted butter. I had the veal meatballs, which were moist and tender. My partner started with the salad with the manchego cheese. It was so fresh, it tasted like summer! His entree was the ricotta gnocchi, which melted in the mouth! Our waitress was delightful yet professional. There was enough wait staff and front-of-room staff. Our reservation was not only honored, but we got there a little early and were seated immediately. From the bar to the dining, it was an wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemsonomastanVIPDined on 7/5/2014I am from California and try to go here on every trip to NYC. The place captures the vibe of the West Village, great food, excellent experience. Tables for two may be a bit small but a small price to pay for a terrific food experience. Do try the coconut cake, it's as good as it gets. My wife has been trying to get the recipe forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but you can do betterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014This place is so cramped that even their own staff has a hard time getting around. A server spilled a dish all over the back of my friend's chair! They wiped the chair down quickly but he had oil stains all over the back of his shirt. Finally towards the end of the meal the manager came over to say they would take care of the dry cleaning but surprisingly didn't even offer up anything else to compensate for almost ruining his dinner (not even 1 drink!). Service is mediocre, but food was pretty good. Our table had foie gras, steak tartar & oysters to start. Foie gras was like butter in my mouth. I had veal meatballs which were okay. But my friends did enjoy the gnocchi and pork chop. Would come again but wouldn't go out of my way.
- Loved Commerce!!!JKKADined on 6/23/2014My husband and I went to Commerce on our last night in New York. What a perfect decision it was! The staff is delightful. We were very well taken of.....the menu was varied and unique. My husband had the short rib ravioli and has not stopped talking about how fabulous it was...we are "foodies" so we really appreciate good food and presentation. Commerce had both. I had the pork chop that was served beautifully with vegetables some of which were pureed and a sauce that melted in my mouth. Don't miss this dining experience!!Special Features:
- Oddly greatLaurieposDined on 6/23/2014Although the food was wonderful and the restaurant itself beautiful I found it very odd that the restaurant has a policy of not bringing a bread basket until drinks are ordered & you must also order your appetizer ANd entree at the same time!they refused to let us eat the many appetizers we wanted to order and see what we felt like eatting after that.strange policy that made me feel uncomfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and roomFoodIsNiceVIPDined on 6/20/2014Commerce hits it all correctly; excellent food, attentive, kind service, cool setting, with the ambience of an 'old' restaurant. Very loud if the restaurant is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disregard the bad reviewsLordBrutVIPDined on 6/19/2014Saw some bad reviews after making the reservation and was nervous. Thanfully I could not have been more pleased with my experience. Service was as friendly as could be and the braised beef ravioli is one of the best dishes I have had in the city. Outside is unassuming but inside is quaint and in a great neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantjvanschDined on 6/19/2014Commerce is one of our favorite places. The murals and copper plates designed for the space, along with windows onto a green space, and gorgeous art deco lamps, makes this one of the most elegant spots in the Village. We went for our anniversary, joining other families celebrating something - a favorite destination for many of us. The food is just outstanding in every way. They're known for their bread baskets, desserts, entrees - all just delicious. Salads and vegetables have that special garden taste, making me believe produce can be tasty. We also find their wines to be very good, and not too expensive. Go - try Commerce!Special Features:
- Delicioustsw22VIPDined on 6/19/2014My second visit - I love those deviled eggs! Had the Steak Diane this time and was not disappointed. Also enjoyed my salad (with every kind of leaf imaginable) and manchego cheese. Our server was very helpful. I did wish they had more wine by the glass - only 4 choices for each type and nothing I liked in two trips, yet an extensive list by the bottle. The avocado toast is nothing special, really. Had no room for dessert, but saw the "birthday cake" at another table. Looked scrumptious. There is something with bananas and nilla wafers ... Next time I need to remember to save room. If you've never been to Commerce, the location alone should entice you. One of my favorite streets in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but pricey and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2014We celebrated Father's Day on Monday evening at Commerce. There were 6 of us and we were seated at a very small round table near the entrance. The tables are so close together that I had to move my chair a few times as other diners got in and out of the booth next to us. The service was mediocre; one of us got the Steak Diane and we had to ask for a steak knife. The noise level was very loud.Special Features:
- Great Food Lots of Funpairof8sVIPDined on 6/15/2014COMMERCE ROCKS....AGAIN. This place is great. The cocktails are amazing. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is fantastic. The raw hamachi appetizer was better than any sushi place I've been to...All of our pastas were fresh and masterfully prepared. This repeat visit was just as good if not better than the first. Commerce is the real deal, and not killer expensive. LOVE THIS PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMmaflVIPDined on 6/10/2014Nothing to criticize, we had a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.