50 Commerce Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.commercerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 524-2301
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Open daily 4pm until Midnight, Friday and Saturday until 1:00am. Opens Saturday & Sunday at 12pm. Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 11:00pm Friday and Saturday, 5:30pm - 12:00am Saturday Lunch: 12 - 5pm Sunday Brunch: 11am - 4pm, Dinner 5:30 - 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Harold Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for a private party.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Zazula 9178468852
A word from COMMERCE
Commerce, nestled in the heart of Greenwich Village, is an homage to old New York. The historic space that formerly housed the beloved Grange Hall has been restored by artisan craftsmen. The interior features murals by artist David Joel, restored chestnut booths & a stunning art deco Brunswick bar circa 1941. Owned by Tony Zazula—a founder of Montrachet—& Chef Harold Moore, Commerce presents a contemporary American menu combining global flavors & classic ingredients such as oysters, chicken & steak. Formerly the Executive Chef of Montrachet & Chef de Cuisine of March, Chef Moore brings years of experience working in New York City’s top kitchens, such as Daniel, Jean Georges, & Mercer Kitchen. Moore’s menu is casual yet sophisticated & belies the complex construction of flavors & textures that are telling of his extensive training. New York ObserverContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
COMMERCE reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (138)fit for foodies (118)hot spot (54)vibrant bar scene (52)special occasion (46)good for groups (43)romantic (41)great for brunch (31)late-night find (27)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- New Orleans native- it was lackluster...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014We were incredibly disappointed with Commerce. Our waiter was extremely pretentious for what reason I don't know. We were dressed nicely and ordered a nice glass of wine and scotch to start. I order the hangar steak & asked if I could have brocolli instead of the potatoes and he told me no subs allowed. Not a problem, I said I would pay. (I can't have the dish they were serving) After that he sent the GM out to tell me that the chef didn't want to prepare the steak without the potatoes bc it wouldn't look like enough food (that's a direct quote)....(so you just told me you are over charging me for a small piece of meat) I made it very clear that I couldn't have potatoes smothered in creamy lyonnaise sauce bc I have celiacs disease. They didn't care so I ordered something else. The food was sub-par at best. The portions were small and very over priced! We have no problem paying for a nice meal but red snapper for about $40 and $10 for sides was a bit surprising. He was also annoyed when we didn't order dessert. When the bill came they over charged us by $90 and didn't apologize when they had to fix it. We are easy to please but with all the amazing options in NYC don't waste your time. It was the only time I have every felt unwelcome in NYC and I have been over 10 times and loved every other restaurant I have dined. Sad that it was wasn't more welcoming with better service and better food because I liked the ambiance. NYC I'll be back but definitely not to Commerce!
- excellent, but long wait.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Excellent food & cocktails ambiance and service, however, we had to wait more than 1.5 hours to be seated despite that fact that we had a reservation. Great place to go with a group for a lively dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch123abcVIPDined on 11/22/2014Went for a birthday celebration . Food was wonderful, service attentive , and cocktails creative . Look forward to return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for girls brunch - little pricy but worth itBrunchDined on 11/22/2014Commerce is a great restaurant - it's beautiful, upscale and tucked away into a little neighborhood in the West Village. Aesthetically it's beautiful, the serve is impeccable, the food is amazing, but it's definitely more a refined brunch experience. If you're looking for something loud and hip, this is not the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & funCoffeeandTVDined on 11/18/2014The food was delicious - our group shared all of our entrees and appetizers so I was lucky enough to try everything from their deviled eggs to their himachi as well as their chicken for two, pork, and steak. Same approach applied for dessert where we shared cookies and cake. Server was very energetic and on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Village GemCloudsinthsilverliningVIPDined on 11/16/2014Once our beloved Grange Hall, then briefly a return to Blue Mill Tavern, the latest incarnation in this lovely Greenwich Village intersection maintains the 30s-40s heartland vibe while being hip without being off-putting. Food is delicious, cocktails expertly mixed, ambiance charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 11/13/2014Commerce manages to feel old New York without being boringly predictable. At a recent dinner, my wife and I were disappointed by one uninspired entree but enjoyed everything else enough that we expect to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood jointSteveVIPDined on 11/9/2014Tucked in an back street in the West Village is Commerce which was a former speak easy.The food is wonderful. There is a limited menu but everything they do, they do right. The atmosphere is warm and the service ,attentive.Special Features:
- Loved It1MapleLaneDined on 11/9/2014Porterhouse special (for four diners) was outstanding! Done precisely to order and truly delicious. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great, Noise Level not greatkatydidVIPDined on 11/8/2014If an energetic noise level connotes having fun and lively conversation, then this is your place. If a quiet dinner with good conversation is desired, then pass this one up. On the plus side, food was fantastic! We enjoyed everything and perhaps would have a quieter meal earlier in the evening. A young crowd promises a lively evening with great food and fun atmosphere. Try it. You'll go back for the food.Special Features:
- First time, but we'll be backJslpPDined on 11/8/2014We came for dinner and food was really good.We all ordered something different and everything was great. The inside has a great look. Very art deco with interesting light fixtures and artwork. The service was good and the birthday cake for dessert was great, too. We'll definitely be back. The only complaint is the noise level. But otherwise we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will go back thereIcequeenDined on 11/8/2014Serving a decent southern but not overly greasy brunch menu. They also have low calorie items like egg white omelette, but I liked my fall vegetable Fricassee and my mom's croque madame. The tea pot was big, but didn't keep the heat long like ceramic pot would do. Our waiter was great!Special Features:
- Great Food - Long WaitShu1050VIPDined on 11/7/2014Food is very good but we waited 30-40 min beyond our reservation time. From reading reviews this seems to be a consistent problem, so be prepared to wait.Special Features:
- Pre rheaterNancDined on 11/7/2014Great spot to enjoy dinner before going to Cherry Lane theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FindPHG5Dined on 11/7/2014What a special place for comfort food! Deviled eggs are the best that I have ever had! Interesting and varied menu. Great cocktails and good wine and beer list. Smart and helpful staff. Charming West Village neighborhood! Commerce does not disappoint! Enjoy!Special Features:
- MarvellousIZ27Dined on 11/6/2014I'm pretty sure this was indeed the best restaurant I attended so far and one of the best culinary experiences I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Commerce is Consistently Greatdestor23Dined on 11/6/2014Steak Diane is fantastic. The cocktails are inspired. The wine list is well curated and the sommelier is a great help. It's a great spot for dinner or for a night cap after a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too cramped and noisy123goodfoodieDined on 11/5/2014Unfortunately, the tables are too close together and the noise level is pretty unbearable for a pleasureable dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Nice splurgeKito3987VIPDined on 11/2/2014Was in NYC for the Marathon and went for special dinner with a group of 8 hobbled runners. Drinks are yummy (wine is a bit over-priced, though. Cocktails are better) and food is amazing. The appetizers might even be better than the entrees. But it's all fantastic, and the vibe is cool. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- Excellent food; Long waitMomInSohoDined on 11/1/2014The food was really delicious and the atmosphere is very lively & fun - a great typical NYC restaurant. But our reservation was for 7:45pm and they sat us at almost 8:45pm - a full hour late. Was very annoying as we were not only hungry, but it made us late with our babysitter since we didn't expect dinner to then end closer to 10:30pm. But we loved our dinner and they comped us a round of drinks so it's hard to complain too much, but an hour late on a reservation is a very long time.Special Features:
- A must every time I'm in townfoodaddictDined on 11/1/2014The most amazing food. Even just the bread, you could come here just for the BREAD! Sweet potato ravioli with hazelnuts.. should be a controlled substance... it's like crack! The Chocolate Pudding dessert is enough for two, and I DO NOT SHARE! For vegetarians and meat eaters alike you will never be without a hard decision to make, about what to eat. Fantastic, generous wines. The only down side is the noise if you are trying to have a conversation, and the seating process can get a bit hectic as complete and incomplete tables wait in a congested area to be seated. However, when I booked and asked for a quieter table, as I was taking my 73 year old father to dinner... they accommodated us. Can't wait for my next trip!Special Features:
- can't go wrong.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Always perfect. I still remember grange hall (old timers would know what I mean) I used to live on 19 commerce st so I have enjoyed comer ce many times. It never gets old. Great cocktails. Amazing food. Good services, it seems to offer something different every season. And the desserts are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findjayngeeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Chose the restaurant due to proximity to theater but will return for the food. Everyone loved their meal and we decided to return after the show for coffee and dessert only to find it was packed to the last seat. Every person raved about their choice. Truly an excellent dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Great meal at Commerce - all the food was seasonal and locally sources. Plenty of options for vegetarians too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic NYC neighborhood spotAlexVIPDined on 10/31/2014We've been eating at Commerce since moving into the city 7 years ago. It manages to be comfortingly consistent while incorporating interesting menu updates, so that there is something new to try if you can resist the allure of the chicken for two (one of the most pleasing standby menu items in town). While prices have crept up (not a single entree below the $28 mark, with most above $30), the delicious pretzel rolls in the bread basket are still complimentary. This time we tried the 20 herb salad with manchego, the short rib ravioli (handmade pasta, a bit too thick but wrapped around the richest, meaty filling ever tasted), and the veal meatballs (delicate and highly flavorful), and these two entrees were unfailingly delicious.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/31/2014This is my second time to Commerce and it's wonderful experience. The food is amazing and the staff are exceptional. Our waiter really was fantastic. Thanks for a a great evening! I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite is greatUpperWestSiderVIPDined on 10/28/2014Everything that comes out of the kitchen is just fantastic. Not good, but fantastic. I had the Steak Diane, root vegetable side, and sweet potato tortelloni appetizer. Seriously couldn't be better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2014Food was fantastic. Love the hamachi, roasted sweet potato tortelloni, brussel sprout salad and the short rib ravioli. Service was excellent. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/22/2014It's a great spot, and the food was delicious, but it's deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAirSchisDined on 10/20/2014Yes, this restaurant is hard to find in the West Village off 7th Avenue. It is well worth the effort though. Excellent service from friendly and competent staff. The menu has many great choices and the food is reasonably priced. All four of us enjoyed our meals. The wine list is decent, but we found some of the choices too expensive. Great ambience where you are made to feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceGerAndGerDined on 10/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and had a wonderful time. Delicious food and excellent service. Particularly loved the short rib ravioli and Maker's Mark ice cream. One of my best dining experience ever.Special Features:
- Expensive! A bit pretenciousPastaChefDined on 10/19/2014I found this on open table based on cost and ratings, opentable said this was 30 and Under per person. You cant even get an app for much less then 20 bucks. Although the food was decent the prices were outrageous even for New York. Come on, $38 for 4oz of poached halibut!?Special Features:
- Great service, food okayaprilluv4VIPDined on 10/19/2014Sundays are a bit roomier so we didn't feel crammed like the other reviews stated. The drinks were great, although they ran out of the tequila drink I wanted. The service was great, not rushed at all. The food was hit and miss for me. The carbonara had fresh noodles but it was soupy. The gnocchi was delicious and my friend enjoyed the salisbury steak very much. The side of vegetables for $10 tasted like I was chewing a sprig of rosemary. I had a bite and that was it. Skip it.
- Pre-theaterJillwDined on 10/19/2014I went to a matinee at the Cherry Lane and Commerce is conveniently catty-corner to the theater. Just be warned to give yourself a reservation and plenty of time if you're going for brunch. We were seated at around 1, and though we got our coffee immediately, it was still almost an hour before we were served our main meal at brunch, which for us was fine as our show was at three. I saw many people getting large generous brunch drinks. Though not earth-shattering the food is very good. The bread basket is great, I had a salad that was well seasoned, the bacon was crisp and artisinal, not the usual packaged stuff...ingredients were fresh and the range of brunch choices were "something for everybody." The ambiance is wood and Deco and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed ReturnLeighVIPDined on 10/19/2014I've lived the village for years and have eaten at commerce many times. I've always loved the coziness, service and food quality --these are the things that have brought me back again and again. That said, I was thoroughly disappointed with my brunch on Sunday. It took over an hour and 30 minutes to get our entrees, the chef kept coming out and arguing with other tables about their food, and the quality of our dishes was subpar. I am truly disappointed as this was a staple in my restaurant rotation and after my experience I don't see how I could go back.
- great food with NYC feel.zstarVIPDined on 10/18/2014the cocktails were pretty good. the food and the service were excellent. but the best thing about this place is that it "feels like NYC". it's very busy, with lots of people in a small space and plenty of NYC bustle. the ambiance really makes this place. I would defintely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding A great "find" in NYChc1010Dined on 10/18/2014Outstanding and the staff was great ! Fron the minute you walk in the staff was greatSpecial Features:
- What Happened to Neighborhood Gem?NYDinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Hadn't eaten at Commerce in a while so made a post-theater 9pm reservation and showed up to find the place swarmed with hordes of young preppie kids occupying every inch of space. What happened to this neighborhood gem? It felt like the overflow from JG Melon's uptown had migrated downtown and packed the place. We couldn't even make our way to the bar to get a drink and, to add insult to injury, were made to wait 45 minutes for our table. Seems even the original front of the house professionalism has long since departed. Note to self and reader: unless you're in your mid-20s and are still enamored enough with the fact that you just moved to NYC to wait an inappropriate amount of time for a table, take your business elsewhere....Special Features:
- Always greatpadutchVIPDined on 10/17/2014We are repeat customers here. The food and service are fabulous. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very solidSazonovDined on 10/13/2014A great place for a date or a small group 4-6. Everything is very good and at least one course is always delicious. Smart, friendly, knowledgable staff. I will always return.Special Features: