Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
411 Saint Armands Circle
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://columbiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (941) 388-3987
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Jesus Padilla Jr.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer off-site catering, please call us for details to make your special event memorable with one of our “Super Paellas.
- Private Party Facilities: The Columbia Restaurant in Sarasota on St. Armands Circle is the perfect venue for your special event. Our Old-World Mediterranean style dining rooms lend an atmosphere of warmth and elegance to any gathering. For a small group of 28, we offer private dining space.
- Private Party Contact: Erika Klatyik 9413883987
- Entertainment: After your meal, stroll along St. Armands Circle, resembling an elegant European market with bright tropical landscaping. It is home to more than 130 shops that pamper guests from all areas of the world. Sarasota is a cultural haven with stunning beaches and superb shops and galleries. Outdoor activities like golf, tennis, deep-sea fishing and boating are also nearby.
- Special Events: Although online reservations may not be available, we are still taking reservations through the restaurant.
A word from Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
Family-owned and operated for over 100 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm and award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine and wine list. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," and fresh seafood specialties. Don’t miss Columbia’s Original “1905” Salad®, prepared tableside with our delicious, freshly-made dressing, a 100-year-old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Be sure to sample a fine Spanish wine like Torres, Montecillo or Campillo. Relax outdoors on our patio, or inside our Mediterranean-style dining rooms filled with hand-painted tiles and family heirlooms. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (66)special occasion (50)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (36)hot spot (31)romantic (24)scenic view (24)great for brunch (17)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- Not as good as last time!!PepperridgeVIPDined on 11/16/2014Hardly any tomatoes in the 1905 salad, which is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Great location on St Armands Circle with a bustling atmosphere. Enjoyable food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The Columbia is a must dine at when you visit. The 1905 Salad and Sangria are my favorites. We always put the Columbia on our list whenever we visit. Make Reservations though. It is ALWAYS busy!Special Features:
- Rainy night visitJarfcrDined on 11/8/2014Was not too busy because of a heavy rain. Service good and the food was yummy! A must visit when in the Sarasota area!!Special Features:
- Special BirthdayCookieDined on 11/6/2014Our first dining experience at Columbia - it was wonderful. The large, open dining area was so active and busy that made you want to be a pert of the whole scene. The food choices were many and our selections topped off by dessert excellent! Cannot wait to go back! Love love loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Usual, WonderfulKSHIIDined on 11/1/2014We have been going to the various "Columbias" Restaurants for MANY years. We have never been disappointed in food, wine or service. Of course, being Sarasota year round residents, this is our "most visited". Our waiter had been there over 18 years, we have had his service before and he paid attention to us, despite being busy, and was not annoying about it. The wines are fantastic, especially the "Don Casear" brand.. All of the foods are special and desserts...Special Features:
- pumisaDined on 10/29/2014The stone crabs were delicious!! But we did not know the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family TraditionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Food is always awesome! Dining at the Columbia has become a family tradition for special occasions and a great place to take out-of-town guests.Special Features:
- FantasticWant2BfoodieDined on 10/28/2014Service was superb! Roe basically took care of all our needs, made excellent recommendations and was just a terrific personable waitress. Food delicious especially 1905 salad, and top notch sangria.Special Features:
- Tried and true standardRobflDined on 10/26/2014Food and service at this St Armand's venerable establishment is consistently good. Prices are a little high, but considering tourist location, not unreasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rrbirdsDined on 10/23/2014This was one of greatest diner experience that we have had in a long tlme. Bravo for the wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always TastyHTSarasotaDined on 10/20/2014Popular restaurant with great Cuban/Spanish food. Fresh bread, delicious, huge salads, extensive menu plus a few specials. We've dined there several times and always find something new and tasty to try. Waitstaff is attentive, but not pushy, and the specials are on a separate menu so you don't have to listen to grandiose descriptions and try to remember them.Special Features:
- A must!FoodieDined on 10/18/2014Amazing! Great food, great atmosphere, best Sangia~ a must go to for anyone that loves flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go for the food!McCoyDined on 10/18/2014Columbia has been around for years. They are always full and sometimes you even have to wait. The food however is underwhelming in fact it is terrible. We have gone to this Columbia several times and after this last visit sad to say this will be our last. Drinks are expensive a small pitcher of sangria with very little alcohol over $20 and the lunch entrees also expensive for what you get. There are so many other restaurants in St Armands, next time we will try another restaurant. Will Columbia suffer by us not going probably not, but eventually other diners will see the light we finally did.Special Features:
- Unique RestaurantYOLODined on 10/13/2014Our son told us that a friend of his said it was a great place to try. So being new to the area we decided to try. We were cautiously optimistic to see what they had as my husband and I are both Vegans. - Well, we were thrilled with the options available to us and our server was great!! Love the energy of the place as well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingjoyfulVIPDined on 10/13/2014We've been to Columbia Restaurant at another location in Florida and were so pleased with the food that we wanted to try it here in St. Armands. While the service was efficient the food was not up to par. Our waiter emphasized the fact that all dishes were freshly made and not partially prepared ahead, so it was a little surprising when the wrong fish dinner was served to me and the correct one came out almost immediately. The "good rice" was bland and not as well seasoned as I would have thought. My husband had the traditional paella. The rice was very soupy and also not well seasoned. The outdoor seating is lovely but the food could use a little help. I would recommend it because maybe it was an off nite. Careful ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait Staff DisappointingdrewDined on 10/12/2014We were disappointed by the service we received by the waiter. My wife ordered a shrimp plate and the waiter took the order wrong. We notified the waiter and he didn't apologize or offer anything else, just said he heard something else. Thought he would have been more sympathetic and gave us an extra appetizer or discount on the bill. We were charge for what came out, which was almost twice as much.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 10/12/2014The past weekend was our 2nd bad expierence with the Colunbia. The 1905 Salad had no olives & very little ham in it. Our 2nd time to expierence the decline of the 1905. This has been a long time favorite for us.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I ordered Delmonico steak (rare) and it was not that tender, lot of grizzle. The sliced potatoes served were nothing more than sliced baked potato and the side was a combination of cherry tomatoes, tiny asparagus (both good) and CANNED mushrooms. My partner had pompano enpapiotte - overdone.Special Features:
- SECAC CelebrationMookieMooDined on 10/10/2014We dined at the Columbia to celebrate a successful academic conference. The 1905 Salad is so delicious. The Vegetarian Paella was filling and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Columbia!PamalaDined on 10/5/2014All of them! 1905 salad and white sangria to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sarasota gemLeespixDined on 10/4/2014I grew up in Sarasota and I have been a fan of Columbia for over 30 years. I try to go every time I'm in town. Don't miss this wonderful spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RamDisappointedDined on 9/27/2014Good service food so so. 1905 salad was much better at Ybor. Their salad was overspiced and on the hot side. Very noisy atmosphere! We were dining in a group celebrating three of our ladies birthdays. No special attention was given by the restaurant.Special Features:
- Very disappointing eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014After dining at the Columbia, for over 40 years, this was very disappointing. Waitress, Lisa, was bored and mind-set was clearly somewhere else, as was displayed with the way she handled the other table next to me as well. Food, although the same portion, was thrown together on a smaller plate and not attractively presented. Hey chef--who puts sautéed mushrooms as a side with fish??? Definitely a NO-NO.Although early evening, food looked and tasted old. Tasteless and expensive . Guess it's time to find another place.
- NEVER A DISAPPOINTMENTSpudsyDined on 9/21/2014No matter how many times we eat at the Columbia, it is always great and never disappoints. The biggest problem is trying to choose a dish as everything always sounds so amazing. Cannot wait to come back again soon to try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeMikeDined on 9/13/2014Best food anywhere , I have eaten at 4 columbia restaurants and they are always fantastic , lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the very best and affordablejimboDined on 9/13/2014Using OpenTable we were seated promptly on a very busy afternoon. Love the combo of OpenTable/ColumbiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCnnieDined on 9/7/2014Have had better Cuban meals in Miami dives. This restaurant is believing it's own hype and riding on the St Armand's circle wave. If the others in this local chain are serving the same middling to poor food they won't be open long. The white sangria and caffe leche was very good
- You can not go wrong, ever.honestreviewsDined on 9/4/2014There is really no way that you could wrong with the Columbia. Great service and food. Take some time to look into the history of the restaurant as it is immense and charming all at the same time. The 1905 salad with the shrimp is amazing and is something you must eat to be able to truly say that you experienced this gem of dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tradition ContinuesRicTDined on 9/2/2014The Columbia restaurant in Sarasota continues the rich tradition of the Tampa restaurant. As a native of Tampa myself, I know the heritage well. The food is incredible and the service and atmosphere are wonderful.Special Features:
- TravelingEngineerDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, great atmosphere and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Nice tapas choices but langoustine flatbread came out cold. Cup of chick pea soup was very salty as was the house salad. My husband's paella was average. The saving graces if the evening-Barry's service and the nicely chilled bottle of Albarino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taraDined on 8/30/2014Alway an amazing meal! Went with a large party, and eeryone loed the food. My faorite is the white sangria.Special Features:
- A Tradition!LadyDiDined on 8/23/2014Authentic Spanish food in a vibrant neighborhood setting. The best salad and Mojitos hands down in the Sarasota area. It is always a family favorite anticipated meal while visiting the white sandy beach of Siesta Key for over 30 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely satisfiedLove2watchDined on 8/23/2014always love the experience. Never disappoints. The ambiance love watching the sidewalk show. In the middle of the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend LunchptycakesDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent as always, seated on the sidewalk tables outside and extremely hot and noisy. Would not be seated there again. Service was ok, waiter didn't really seem that interested or talkative. Not the best service I've ever had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbia St.Armands CircleInsgalDined on 8/21/2014Reservation made to celebrate my husband's birthday with family in Sarasota, table was ready and the food and serve was wonderful, would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Good family experienceKonaDined on 8/21/2014Our waiter was very nice and attentive. We dined at 6:30pm and noticed that there were several other families with children in our section. They seem very in tune with making it easy to dine with children. The mojitos and sangria were good. We had a selection of tapas most of which we liked. The key lime pie was very good. We had a good experience.Special Features:
- Lunch at ColumbiaKateDined on 8/19/2014Lunch at the Sarasota Columbia is such a nice break from the daily work stress. Great food. Great location.Special Features:
- Spanish excellenceJimDDined on 8/16/2014Drinks should include either mojitos or sangria - both are excellent. Start with their fabulous "1905" salad, made at your table. That evening we then shared the Tapeo sampler of three tapas choices - ours included stuffed mushrooms, fried calamari and crab cakes on a three-tiered platter. If you like roast pork, the Columbia is the place to get it. We always look forward to dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.