Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
411 Saint Armands Circle
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://columbiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9413883987
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Jesus Padilla Jr.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer off-site catering, please call us for details to make your special event memorable with one of our “Super Paellas.
- Private Party Facilities: The Columbia Restaurant in Sarasota on St. Armands Circle is the perfect venue for your special event. Our Old-World Mediterranean style dining rooms lend an atmosphere of warmth and elegance to any gathering. For a small group of 28, we offer private dining space.
- Private Party Contact: Erika Klatyik 9413883987
- Entertainment: After your meal, stroll along St. Armands Circle, resembling an elegant European market with bright tropical landscaping. It is home to more than 130 shops that pamper guests from all areas of the world. Sarasota is a cultural haven with stunning beaches and superb shops and galleries. Outdoor activities like golf, tennis, deep-sea fishing and boating are also nearby.
- Special Events: Although online reservations may not be available, we are still taking reservations through the restaurant.
A word from Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
Family-owned and operated for over 100 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm and award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine and wine list. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," and fresh seafood specialties. Don’t miss Columbia’s Original “1905” Salad®, prepared tableside with our delicious, freshly-made dressing, a 100-year-old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Be sure to sample a fine Spanish wine like Torres, Montecillo or Campillo. Relax outdoors on our patio, or inside our Mediterranean-style dining rooms filled with hand-painted tiles and family heirlooms. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (77)great for lunch (63)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (40)hot spot (31)scenic view (26)kid-friendly (22)romantic (21)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (13)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- A Tradition!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Authentic Spanish food in a vibrant neighborhood setting. The best salad and Mojitos hands down in the Sarasota area. It is always a family favorite anticipated meal while visiting the white sandy beach of Siesta Key for over 30 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014always love the experience. Never disappoints. The ambiance love watching the sidewalk show. In the middle of the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent as always, seated on the sidewalk tables outside and extremely hot and noisy. Would not be seated there again. Service was ok, waiter didn't really seem that interested or talkative. Not the best service I've ever had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbia St.Armands CircleInsgalDined on 8/21/2014Reservation made to celebrate my husband's birthday with family in Sarasota, table was ready and the food and serve was wonderful, would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Good family experienceKonaDined on 8/21/2014Our waiter was very nice and attentive. We dined at 6:30pm and noticed that there were several other families with children in our section. They seem very in tune with making it easy to dine with children. The mojitos and sangria were good. We had a selection of tapas most of which we liked. The key lime pie was very good. We had a good experience.Special Features:
- Lunch at ColumbiaKateDined on 8/19/2014Lunch at the Sarasota Columbia is such a nice break from the daily work stress. Great food. Great location.Special Features:
- Spanish excellenceJimDDined on 8/16/2014Drinks should include either mojitos or sangria - both are excellent. Start with their fabulous "1905" salad, made at your table. That evening we then shared the Tapeo sampler of three tapas choices - ours included stuffed mushrooms, fried calamari and crab cakes on a three-tiered platter. If you like roast pork, the Columbia is the place to get it. We always look forward to dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PopaPopaDined on 8/13/2014First visit to this location. Food was excellent as usual. Food was served timely and hot, however our waiter seemed like he was trying out for the theater. Also his unsolicited recommendations were simply the most expensive in each category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Nice AtmosphereFrequentDinerDined on 8/10/2014Went to Columbia restaurant to celebrate a special Birthday for my sister-in-law. Upon Check-in I told the young man who checked us in that it was my sister-in-laws birthday and would he let our server know. He said he would. After being seated our waitress showed up shortly. She was very good, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. The ambiance was nice, the food was good but there was no mention to my sister-in-law about her birthday. I assumed the waitress was never informed, like I asked. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and I would go there again next time I'm in Sarasota. Just disappointed when I detect incompetence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeDineawayDined on 8/10/2014The good was wonderful....some of best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceBlborlandoDined on 8/9/2014We were an after thought for our server. She seemed annoyed to even be waiting on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- walked outal1234Dined on 8/9/2014waitied a half hour to get sat. Kept being put off. walked out. Restaurant was too busy and chaotic.
- Very PopularCarmNYC14Dined on 8/8/2014Great spanish/cuban food. Service was outstanding. The warm cuban bread was so good you'll want to eat it all but leave room for dinner. Talk to your waiter for food recommendations they will steer you in the right direction. The empanadas were fantastic as well as the mojitos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was great, but the service was mediocre. Although we had a reservation, the 3 very young employees at the hostess stand stood around talking for 10 minutes before bothering to seat us. Then after geting the worst table in the restaurant (right ouside the kitchen), we asked to be moved. Midway through dinner (we were a party of 3 seated at a 4 top) a female server asked me to remove my purse and my son's iPad from the 4th chair, b/c she needed it for someone else. I said "Dont' you have other charis in the restuarant? Our stuff is on the chair. She responded "I need to take care fo this other customer and tok teh chair." Incredibly rude!Special Features:
- Great Lunch!!NorthernGirlDined on 8/5/2014Our first trip to the Columbia Restaurant - our Tampa family love this place. We visited recently from the UK and fell in love with Sarasota and the fab food at the Columbia. Not to mention the great service and the best Sangria on the planet!! Recommend this to everyone - the menu is huge and there is definitely something for everyone!! We will be back!Special Features:
- Dining at the Columbia is YUM!2diningdamesDined on 8/2/2014The Columbia is a fabulous Cuban restaurant located in St Armand's Circle in Sarasota. The patio is my favorite place to have a meal, it opens onto the sidewalk dining area, but is still under a/c which is a big advantage in our hot Florida weather. My favorite dining choice is the Cuban sandwich accompanied by a 1905 salad that is mixed table side. My companion and I ordered full portions of each and split it between us. Plenty of food, so much so that along with the crunchy hot Cuban bread that is served, we had no room for the amazing desserts....next time! The red sangria is delicious, but try the white sangria-amazing! Our total bill for two was only $27.00! What a deal for such a delicious meal I highly recommend the Columbia!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheresaVIPDined on 7/28/2014Wonderful dinner!! 1905 Salad is delicious every time I eat it. And the Sangrias are definitely worth getting a pitcher:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too hotJoeMVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was great as always. The temperature on the restaurant was way too warm. We asked the manager if he could make it cooler. He said he would take care of it but he never went near the thermostat. It was so warm we asked for the check because it was too uncomfortable to stay for dessert and coffee.
- Ask for a table on the left side!FoodieMamaDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I went here with another couple on a Thursday night in mid July. I am glad we made reservations, as there was a 2 hour wait for those who didn't. We were seated next to a closed windowed area with a nice view of St. Armand's. We loved our waiter, our sangria (made for us at the table), and our food; We, however, did not love the heat. We fanned ourselves with the menus, but after our orders were taken (and our menus) we were all dripping with sweat. The heat from the kitchen was sweltering! We quickly switched from sangria to ice water just to cool down. I visited the restroom on the other side of the restaurant (to avoid passing out) and it was at least 10 degrees cooler. Great restaurant, but needs fans near the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Always put this at the top of my list when on St. ArmandsSpecial Features:
- Excellent!masumeDined on 7/19/2014The food and service were excellent. The settings and ambiance was fantastic as well. We will be back and have recommended it to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How disappointingCayasmomDined on 7/19/2014We are from tampa and expected the same experience at the Sarasota location. Alas, not to be...from. flies in the dining room, sales people from a nearby retailer ( fox.y lady) coming table side to show you their wares, it was not the classy experience I had hoped for. The mojo chicken sandwich was bland, the Cuban soggy, and truly unappetizing. How sad:(
- NoFoodieButHardToPleaseDined on 7/18/2014All the Columbia restaurants are clean, well decorated, and offer a unique dining experience. I love the cloth table linens, well dressed and attentive wait staff, and the overall atmosphere. The menu is limited, but everything on it is authentic and delicious. It is our favorite restaurant in Sarasota. can't wait to try the one in St Augustine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time hereSabrinaDined on 7/16/2014We have been in Sarasota for a year and this was the first time we went to Columbia- but it will not be the last! The menu was great, the food was delicious, and there was something for everyone on the menu. The place was jammed even for the summer and I can see why. I had the black bean soup which was to die for, and the 1910 salad - which is prepared table side and big enough for a large party to share. We want to try so many other things on the menu, we will have to make this one of our go- places to dine.Special Features:
- DisappointedMeridianDined on 7/12/2014Pros: Prompt - We made a reservation and were seated promptly. Tapas - We had the Stuffed Mushrooms and the Pork Ribs. They were excellent. Sangria - We bought a pitcher of the Red and it was delicious. Steaks - My wife had the Filet and my son had the NY Strip. Both were well prepared. Waiter - He was funny, informative and attentive. Cons: Seating - Some of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever spent an hour and a half on. Temperature - The right side of the restaurant was very hot. The left side was nice and cool. Paella - I and my friends ordered the Paella A la Valenciana. It was quite oily, salty and bland. There was little variation in taste from pork to chicken to shrimp. None of us finished and we regretted not ordering steaks.
- ExcellentGreateatingDined on 7/7/2014Excellent food Even a salad is always a special treatSpecial Features:
- Great Fun Food AmbienceGrammyMusicProducer1Dined on 7/5/2014Like OLD Cuba or as one would imagine Cuba. The food was very good, the waiter did a great job. The Pork Cubano was excellent as were the Cuban bread, fresh butter. The dessert was chocolate cake and too big for one person. I like Tampa the original but this is much closer to where I spend time. Worth the money.Special Features:
- Pew1Dined on 6/27/2014Fair food. Tapas excellent though Cuban and black bean soup missed. Mojitos too sweet/lack seltzer. Bread perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They forgot my Mom's BirthdayLolaDined on 6/22/2014I made this reservation explaining that this was my Mom's 70th birthday lunch. I expected them to do something (bring out a special dessert or something), but instead, they completely ignored it. My Mom was very disappointed which broke my heart.Special Features:
- KellyDined on 6/21/2014One of my favorite restaurants of all time. I've been to all three and consider myself lucky to live in Sarasota, close to the Columbia!Special Features:
- Always enjoyableAWilliamsDined on 6/21/2014A visit to this restaurant is always a treat with great food and that special Columbia atmosphere. We love the 1905 salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good butTheDenverDined on 6/19/2014We always make it appoint to dine here when in town due to the quality of service, the great food and the location..... Noise level is a little to high sometimes....Special Features:
- Attentive Service - Good FoodSelectiveaterDined on 6/18/2014Shibhone (spelling? Gaelic not my specialty) did an outstanding job - knowledgeable about the menu and extremely kind - the food was good - a great lunch overall.Special Features:
- ModelTDined on 6/15/2014Our reservation was honored and we were seated immediately, even though we were a few minutes early and the restaurant was packed. Service and food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone!laydeebugDined on 6/14/2014Our group of friends has a nice time for lunch at Columbia. The sangria and the warm Cuban bread are wonderful! I would go back to try more of items from their extensive menu : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedmountainmomDined on 6/9/2014Upon reading recent reviews online (poor service), I was hesitant to go back to the Columbia. We ventured forth with trepidation, but happy to say pleasantly surprised by the cordial (if hurried) service given to us by Nicoletta. She was very friendly and efficient, with no attitude at all. My only disappointment was with getting "splashed" by her while she was preparing our 1905 salad. She was obviously in a very big hurry and both liquid and lettuce were flying around. The food was good, but not great. I've had better at previous visits. As always the location is good for people watching; mojitos aren't to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!.....but...diner1Dined on 6/8/2014The food was outstanding! However, I was disappointed with the service and comfort. When I placed this reservation I mentioned it was our 30th wedding anniversary in the additional information. I thought someone may have considered the information and congratulated us, but no one did and I wondered why I added this to our reservation. Our waitress never came back to the table after serving our meal until we were finished (I couldn't even find her when I needed my water filled during the meal!) The bathroom was dirty and trash was overflowing. Even though we were inside with the fans on, it was uncomfortably hot. The food was absolutely wonderful, but I was dissapointed that we chose this restaurant to celebrate a very important event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressedH8SmlFoodDined on 6/2/2014Whenever wvacatiin in the area, we make a point to eat a Columbia. Ate early so noise/crowd wasn't a factor. The Chacho Filet is excellent. The Grouper Jimmy is simple and delicious. The White Chocolate Bread Pudding is one of the best desserts I've ever eaten! Always enjoy our experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchsagent301Dined on 6/1/2014We had a reservation for a birthday lunch celebration with visiting children in town - 4 people. Waited about 10 minutes - given a table just inside the main dining room - not the best table since it was a special time. Waited a while for our waiter - asked if they could fix our wobbly table, but it never was. Our food arrived within a reasonable time - their "known for" salad was excellent - as always - rest of our meal was quite good. Had to ask again for a second drink, but it finally did arrive. Busy when we first arrived, but thinned out as we continued our meal. Will always go back here and will recommend to others - it's a very nice restaurant and the food is always good. Cuban sandwiches are one of the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave/CarolDaveDined on 5/31/2014We had such a great time for this special dinner. We drove to Sarasota for the weekend and Columbia was a highlight of our weekend. Joseph, our waiter, was very good being an experienced restauranteur. The meal, wine, and service was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.