Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
411 Saint Armands Circle
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://columbiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9413883987
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Jesus Padilla Jr.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer off-site catering, please call us for details to make your special event memorable with one of our “Super Paellas.
- Private Party Facilities: The Columbia Restaurant in Sarasota on St. Armands Circle is the perfect venue for your special event. Our Old-World Mediterranean style dining rooms lend an atmosphere of warmth and elegance to any gathering. For a small group of 28, we offer private dining space.
- Private Party Contact: Erika Klatyik 9413883987
- Entertainment: After your meal, stroll along St. Armands Circle, resembling an elegant European market with bright tropical landscaping. It is home to more than 130 shops that pamper guests from all areas of the world. Sarasota is a cultural haven with stunning beaches and superb shops and galleries. Outdoor activities like golf, tennis, deep-sea fishing and boating are also nearby.
- Special Events: Although online reservations may not be available, we are still taking reservations through the restaurant.
A word from Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota
Family-owned and operated for over 100 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm and award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine and wine list. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," and fresh seafood specialties. Don’t miss Columbia’s Original “1905” Salad®, prepared tableside with our delicious, freshly-made dressing, a 100-year-old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Be sure to sample a fine Spanish wine like Torres, Montecillo or Campillo. Relax outdoors on our patio, or inside our Mediterranean-style dining rooms filled with hand-painted tiles and family heirlooms. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (62)great for lunch (50)special occasion (49)fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (29)good for groups (29)scenic view (23)romantic (21)kid-friendly (20)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- MikeMikeDined on 9/13/2014Best food anywhere , I have eaten at 4 columbia restaurants and they are always fantastic , lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the very best and affordablejimboDined on 9/13/2014Using OpenTable we were seated promptly on a very busy afternoon. Love the combo of OpenTable/ColumbiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCnnieDined on 9/7/2014Have had better Cuban meals in Miami dives. This restaurant is believing it's own hype and riding on the St Armand's circle wave. If the others in this local chain are serving the same middling to poor food they won't be open long. The white sangria and caffe leche was very good
- You can not go wrong, ever.honestreviewsDined on 9/4/2014There is really no way that you could wrong with the Columbia. Great service and food. Take some time to look into the history of the restaurant as it is immense and charming all at the same time. The 1905 salad with the shrimp is amazing and is something you must eat to be able to truly say that you experienced this gem of dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tradition ContinuesRicTDined on 9/2/2014The Columbia restaurant in Sarasota continues the rich tradition of the Tampa restaurant. As a native of Tampa myself, I know the heritage well. The food is incredible and the service and atmosphere are wonderful.Special Features:
- TravelingEngineerDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, great atmosphere and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Nice tapas choices but langoustine flatbread came out cold. Cup of chick pea soup was very salty as was the house salad. My husband's paella was average. The saving graces if the evening-Barry's service and the nicely chilled bottle of Albarino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taraDined on 8/30/2014Alway an amazing meal! Went with a large party, and eeryone loed the food. My faorite is the white sangria.Special Features:
- A Tradition!LadyDiDined on 8/23/2014Authentic Spanish food in a vibrant neighborhood setting. The best salad and Mojitos hands down in the Sarasota area. It is always a family favorite anticipated meal while visiting the white sandy beach of Siesta Key for over 30 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely satisfiedLove2watchDined on 8/23/2014always love the experience. Never disappoints. The ambiance love watching the sidewalk show. In the middle of the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend LunchptycakesDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent as always, seated on the sidewalk tables outside and extremely hot and noisy. Would not be seated there again. Service was ok, waiter didn't really seem that interested or talkative. Not the best service I've ever had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbia St.Armands CircleInsgalDined on 8/21/2014Reservation made to celebrate my husband's birthday with family in Sarasota, table was ready and the food and serve was wonderful, would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Good family experienceKonaDined on 8/21/2014Our waiter was very nice and attentive. We dined at 6:30pm and noticed that there were several other families with children in our section. They seem very in tune with making it easy to dine with children. The mojitos and sangria were good. We had a selection of tapas most of which we liked. The key lime pie was very good. We had a good experience.Special Features:
- Lunch at ColumbiaKateDined on 8/19/2014Lunch at the Sarasota Columbia is such a nice break from the daily work stress. Great food. Great location.Special Features:
- Spanish excellenceJimDDined on 8/16/2014Drinks should include either mojitos or sangria - both are excellent. Start with their fabulous "1905" salad, made at your table. That evening we then shared the Tapeo sampler of three tapas choices - ours included stuffed mushrooms, fried calamari and crab cakes on a three-tiered platter. If you like roast pork, the Columbia is the place to get it. We always look forward to dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColumbiaLovinglifeDined on 8/14/2014Great restaurant and a great time. Pick a dish, you can not go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PopaPopaDined on 8/13/2014First visit to this location. Food was excellent as usual. Food was served timely and hot, however our waiter seemed like he was trying out for the theater. Also his unsolicited recommendations were simply the most expensive in each category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Nice AtmosphereFrequentDinerDined on 8/10/2014Went to Columbia restaurant to celebrate a special Birthday for my sister-in-law. Upon Check-in I told the young man who checked us in that it was my sister-in-laws birthday and would he let our server know. He said he would. After being seated our waitress showed up shortly. She was very good, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. The ambiance was nice, the food was good but there was no mention to my sister-in-law about her birthday. I assumed the waitress was never informed, like I asked. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and I would go there again next time I'm in Sarasota. Just disappointed when I detect incompetence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeDineawayDined on 8/10/2014The good was wonderful....some of best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceBlborlandoDined on 8/9/2014We were an after thought for our server. She seemed annoyed to even be waiting on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- walked outal1234Dined on 8/9/2014waitied a half hour to get sat. Kept being put off. walked out. Restaurant was too busy and chaotic.
- Very PopularCarmNYC14Dined on 8/8/2014Great spanish/cuban food. Service was outstanding. The warm cuban bread was so good you'll want to eat it all but leave room for dinner. Talk to your waiter for food recommendations they will steer you in the right direction. The empanadas were fantastic as well as the mojitos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was great, but the service was mediocre. Although we had a reservation, the 3 very young employees at the hostess stand stood around talking for 10 minutes before bothering to seat us. Then after geting the worst table in the restaurant (right ouside the kitchen), we asked to be moved. Midway through dinner (we were a party of 3 seated at a 4 top) a female server asked me to remove my purse and my son's iPad from the 4th chair, b/c she needed it for someone else. I said "Dont' you have other charis in the restuarant? Our stuff is on the chair. She responded "I need to take care fo this other customer and tok teh chair." Incredibly rude!Special Features:
- Great Lunch!!NorthernGirlDined on 8/5/2014Our first trip to the Columbia Restaurant - our Tampa family love this place. We visited recently from the UK and fell in love with Sarasota and the fab food at the Columbia. Not to mention the great service and the best Sangria on the planet!! Recommend this to everyone - the menu is huge and there is definitely something for everyone!! We will be back!Special Features:
- Dining at the Columbia is YUM!2diningdamesDined on 8/2/2014The Columbia is a fabulous Cuban restaurant located in St Armand's Circle in Sarasota. The patio is my favorite place to have a meal, it opens onto the sidewalk dining area, but is still under a/c which is a big advantage in our hot Florida weather. My favorite dining choice is the Cuban sandwich accompanied by a 1905 salad that is mixed table side. My companion and I ordered full portions of each and split it between us. Plenty of food, so much so that along with the crunchy hot Cuban bread that is served, we had no room for the amazing desserts....next time! The red sangria is delicious, but try the white sangria-amazing! Our total bill for two was only $27.00! What a deal for such a delicious meal I highly recommend the Columbia!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheresaVIPDined on 7/28/2014Wonderful dinner!! 1905 Salad is delicious every time I eat it. And the Sangrias are definitely worth getting a pitcher:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too hotJoeMVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was great as always. The temperature on the restaurant was way too warm. We asked the manager if he could make it cooler. He said he would take care of it but he never went near the thermostat. It was so warm we asked for the check because it was too uncomfortable to stay for dessert and coffee.
- Ask for a table on the left side!FoodieMamaDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I went here with another couple on a Thursday night in mid July. I am glad we made reservations, as there was a 2 hour wait for those who didn't. We were seated next to a closed windowed area with a nice view of St. Armand's. We loved our waiter, our sangria (made for us at the table), and our food; We, however, did not love the heat. We fanned ourselves with the menus, but after our orders were taken (and our menus) we were all dripping with sweat. The heat from the kitchen was sweltering! We quickly switched from sangria to ice water just to cool down. I visited the restroom on the other side of the restaurant (to avoid passing out) and it was at least 10 degrees cooler. Great restaurant, but needs fans near the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Always put this at the top of my list when on St. ArmandsSpecial Features:
- Excellent!masumeDined on 7/19/2014The food and service were excellent. The settings and ambiance was fantastic as well. We will be back and have recommended it to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How disappointingCayasmomDined on 7/19/2014We are from tampa and expected the same experience at the Sarasota location. Alas, not to be...from. flies in the dining room, sales people from a nearby retailer ( fox.y lady) coming table side to show you their wares, it was not the classy experience I had hoped for. The mojo chicken sandwich was bland, the Cuban soggy, and truly unappetizing. How sad:(
- NoFoodieButHardToPleaseDined on 7/18/2014All the Columbia restaurants are clean, well decorated, and offer a unique dining experience. I love the cloth table linens, well dressed and attentive wait staff, and the overall atmosphere. The menu is limited, but everything on it is authentic and delicious. It is our favorite restaurant in Sarasota. can't wait to try the one in St Augustine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time hereSabrinaDined on 7/16/2014We have been in Sarasota for a year and this was the first time we went to Columbia- but it will not be the last! The menu was great, the food was delicious, and there was something for everyone on the menu. The place was jammed even for the summer and I can see why. I had the black bean soup which was to die for, and the 1910 salad - which is prepared table side and big enough for a large party to share. We want to try so many other things on the menu, we will have to make this one of our go- places to dine.Special Features:
- DisappointedMeridianDined on 7/12/2014Pros: Prompt - We made a reservation and were seated promptly. Tapas - We had the Stuffed Mushrooms and the Pork Ribs. They were excellent. Sangria - We bought a pitcher of the Red and it was delicious. Steaks - My wife had the Filet and my son had the NY Strip. Both were well prepared. Waiter - He was funny, informative and attentive. Cons: Seating - Some of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever spent an hour and a half on. Temperature - The right side of the restaurant was very hot. The left side was nice and cool. Paella - I and my friends ordered the Paella A la Valenciana. It was quite oily, salty and bland. There was little variation in taste from pork to chicken to shrimp. None of us finished and we regretted not ordering steaks.
- ExcellentGreateatingDined on 7/7/2014Excellent food Even a salad is always a special treatSpecial Features:
- Great Fun Food AmbienceGrammyMusicProducer1Dined on 7/5/2014Like OLD Cuba or as one would imagine Cuba. The food was very good, the waiter did a great job. The Pork Cubano was excellent as were the Cuban bread, fresh butter. The dessert was chocolate cake and too big for one person. I like Tampa the original but this is much closer to where I spend time. Worth the money.Special Features:
- Pew1Dined on 6/27/2014Fair food. Tapas excellent though Cuban and black bean soup missed. Mojitos too sweet/lack seltzer. Bread perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They forgot my Mom's BirthdayLolaDined on 6/22/2014I made this reservation explaining that this was my Mom's 70th birthday lunch. I expected them to do something (bring out a special dessert or something), but instead, they completely ignored it. My Mom was very disappointed which broke my heart.Special Features:
- KellyDined on 6/21/2014One of my favorite restaurants of all time. I've been to all three and consider myself lucky to live in Sarasota, close to the Columbia!Special Features:
- Always enjoyableAWilliamsDined on 6/21/2014A visit to this restaurant is always a treat with great food and that special Columbia atmosphere. We love the 1905 salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.