Columbia Restaurant - SandKey
1241 Gulf Blvd
Clearwater, FL 33767Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Columbia Restaurant - SandKey
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://columbiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (727) 596-8400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 4:00pm Dinner: Daily 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Cuban, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For groups, we offer areas to host your rehearsal dinner, wedding reception, party, or group event. Choose from our banquet menu or let us customize your menu for that special occasion. Our waterfront Mediterranean-style dining room is filled with hand-painted Spanish tiles and family heirlooms, specially selected to create an old-world charm and ambiance that lend an atmosphere of warmth and elegance to any gathering.
- Private Party Contact: Lee Michaud 7275968400
- Entertainment: After your meal, stroll the boardwalk along the Intracoastal waterway behind The Columbia that connects to the Shoppes on Sand Key. Be sure to make time for a visit to Caladesi Island, home of the #1 Beach in North America. Dr. Stephen Leatherman, aka Dr. Beach, announced Caladesi Island State Park as having the best beach in America again in 2008.
- Special Events: Although online reservations may not be available, we are still taking reservations through the restaurant. Traditional Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings: $21.95 adults $5.95 kids under 10. Our complete dinner menu is also available all day.
A word from Columbia Restaurant - SandKey
Waterfront dining at its finest! Family-owned & operated for over 100 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm & award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine & wine list. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," & fresh seafood specialties. Sample a fine Spanish wine like Torres, Montecillo or Campillo. Don’t miss Columbia’s Original “1905” Salad®, named “One of America’s Top 10 Best Salads” by USA Today -- The only restaurant in Florida to be named. Whether you choose a table looking out onto the radiant blue waters of the Intracoastal Waterway from the Mediterranean dining room, or experience the casual atmosphere from our outdoor deck on the water, you can enjoy the cuisine that has consistently been voted Tampa Bay's Favorite. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Columbia Restaurant - SandKey - Best Restaurants in Clearwater ›
Columbia Restaurant - SandKey reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (148)special occasion (120)great for outdoor dining (103)good for groups (75)fit for foodies (73)romantic (73)neighborhood gem (61)great for lunch (45)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (27)hot spot (21)great for brunch (19)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (13)Show More
- Great experience - usuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2014We have dined at Columbia Sand Key 3 or 4 times for all different occasions and have enjoyed the overall experience each time. It's location on a Clearwater Gulf of Mexico inlet is beautiful! If weather is permitting, an outside table or close to the open-sliding doors in the bar adds to the dining pleasure. The drinks are expensive, but well-made and served. The white sangria on a hot summer day -- delightful! The service is usually attentive, without being pushy or impatient. They seem to understand a vacationer's penchant for wanting to dawdle, socialize, and soak up the ambiance. Each person is served their own 1/4 loaf of crunchy delicious bread wrapped in parchment. The appetizers are very good, but not creatively outstanding. Many of our friends go there just for the 1920 Salad - an uber chef-style salad with a unique dressing that makes the salad memorable. Our family enjoys the fish, paella, and chicken dishes. The fish/seafood/chicken are never dried out or overcooked. And the paella rice is not clumpy or gloppy. The dishes are a great blend of flavorful and tangy ingredients. We have had only 1 disappointment. We were recently entertaining friends and family from out-of-town and had raved about the paella. Unfortunately, when the Paella Marina (? may have the spelling wrong, but was the most expensive paella listed) arrived, he had to dig to find any seafood buried in the rice. By the time the server finally came to check on our satisfaction, the rest of the table were more than 1/2 finished with their meal leaving no real time to rectify the situation or for him to maybe reorder something else. The manager did not swing by the table, but the entree was removed from the bill. This one embarrassment (because we had so highly recommended the dish) will not keep us from returning nor continuing to recommend The Columbia Sand Key. It's expensive - but a very nice treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Service was sketchy. It took a long time to place and receive orders food and drink orders. I was never offered a refill. As far as food quality; lets just say I was not impressed. I can get better spanish food at my local spanish buffet.
- Great food, service and ambianceCiroDined on 11/23/2014The Columbia just does it right! Whether it is a light lunch or a great dinner, you won't be disappointed. Food is fantastic with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JobOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014When my friends were coming in from out of town, I remembered my last and first time dining here. I knew this is where I wanted to bring them. Great food, great service and a great outside dining area. Thank you!!! My friends loved it and we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAHN76Dined on 11/22/2014The food and service were wonderful. It was a fantastic way to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary!Special Features:
- Always great at any of the Columbia locations!TravelerDined on 11/22/2014Wonderful food & service! Atmosphere is very nice, romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK ONCE IN A WHILERICHARDVIPDined on 11/15/2014We were there on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was full. No parking left. Had to use the valet. They have a nice selection of wines. We had the Chorizo appetizer, tasty but swimming in fat and the rib appetizers which were very tender and good. Main courses were the veal topped with crab. We felt there was too much bread crumbs on the veal scallopinis so it was very greasy. The topping was very good. Portions are huge. The service was great. All in all the food was tasty but fat. Service was great and the ambiance was nice. We would go back but not order the same main course nor the chorizo appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find but fell short on expectationsHambo01Dined on 11/15/2014Visited a few days ago to celebrate our final night in the US (on vacation). Have used open table a lot and found it to be very reliable. The entree and mains were tasty (and kid friendly) and the service fantastic; dessert was a little disappointing but ok. Overall it was an enjoyable night out but I didn't think was great value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-School GemAnnieDined on 11/14/2014This was my first time at the Columbia. We came early, around 6, so it was quiet. It was also quite chilly, although that changed after a time. Our waiter appeared promptly and gave us his spiel (a little rote and mechanical perhaps) and took our drink order. I could see the bartender muddling the mint leaves for my mojito. It was delicious, as was my sister's daiquiri. The restaurant is very pretty with lots of painted tile and old photographs in ornate wooden frames - lots to look at. The menu is fabulous. For appetizer I had the pinchos, which were little flavor bombs of pork, chorizo and onion. My sister got the gazpacho, again served old-school style with the waiter offering a platter of accoutrements to choose from, which he then served to order. For the entree I got the Cuban pork with rice, black beans and plantains - so delicious, and the pork was meltingly tender. Portions are huge - I was only able to finish less than half and had to take the rest with me. My sister got the filet with the Chacho sauce, and it was a beautiful tableside presentation. The meat was flavorful, tender and cooked a perfect medium-rare. By the time we left, about 7:45, the dining room and bar were quite full, but the noise was still at a comfortable level. The Columbia is a bit pricey, but you get good value for the money. I am so glad I live in Clearwater now because I am looking forward to returning here, and will definitely recommend to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!ESC1Dined on 11/13/2014We've never been disappointed with Columbia on Sand Key!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Long Time Favorite.NikkiDined on 11/12/2014The Columbia is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. They have delicious food and excellent service every time we visit. I have new dishes that I explore with as well as my all time favorites and none of them disappoint. The atmosphere is very family oriented yet romantic and inviting. Both locations in Sand Key and Ybor are equally fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservationPfreelDined on 11/8/2014The Columbia is a place where you should, if not, must make a reservation. Be prepared for valet parking only. The lot is small and always full, because it is shared with other stores and shops. The service was good, but not overly warm. The server made welcome suggestions, and they were right on. I made the reservation using Opentable and was not disappointed. There was a place for requests and I told them out dinner was to celebrate my wife's birthday. At the end of our Meal the wait staff brought a desert, free of charge, and sang happy birthday. What a perfect end to a delicious evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoygreatfoodDined on 11/8/2014Amazing food and service!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JdjrOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014This was an excellent choice. Great service. Great food and just an overall excellent experience. Worth every penny of the cost. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resturantManzell357Dined on 11/6/2014This was a great resturant. The decore was fabulous. I would recommend this resturant to anyone in the Clearwater area. The food wasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBuzzDined on 11/5/2014one of my favorite restaurants in Tampa bay area! Great views of Clearwater Bay.Special Features:
- Vacation findgagenfriendsDined on 11/3/2014This was our second time there in 3 months. Food is delious and perfectly prepared. Wish there was one closer to home. We actually planned our vacation around our dinner reservations here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View for TwoRandEluvurfoodDined on 11/2/2014Took my boyfriend there for his birthday. It was his first time dining at Columbia. My table for two with a view was met and beautiful. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable of the menu and a great upseller. We will be back since he wants to try so many other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good choiceBobmDined on 11/1/2014the cuban food is always good as is the service. Their tenders know how to make drinks, too. I had grouper ala rusa and really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014This was our 2nd time at Columbia and again it met our expectations. The food, service and ambiance were excellent but little things like the fresh bread made the evening a success. We'll go back the next time we're in Clearwater Beach.Special Features:
- DeliciousAllyDined on 10/31/2014Delicious dinner with friends. Had great service. Ropa Vieja was excellent as well as the yellow rice and chicken and steak salteado. Prices are fair. Not suitable for small whiny kids. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceJorfranDined on 10/29/2014I went to the Columbia restaurant with my wife to celebrate our 20 anniversary, we really had a good time and a good view of the ocean. Food and service was excellent and will recommend this restaurant to all my friends. This is one of my favors places in the Tampa areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable place to dineluv2dineDined on 10/25/2014Good food, service and atmosphere. Parking is a challenge. This Columbia is similar in quality to the others in this small chain. Really liked dining on the deck next to the intercoastal.Special Features:
- Great FoodbigtimeeaterDined on 10/24/2014Great food and ambience...always meets their high standards...Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014I had read about this restaurant through one of my magazines and had saved it for our trip. When we were on our trip in Florida, I looked it up on Trip advisor to see what they had to say about this restaurant. I seen that it had a very high rating and so we made a reservation. We were not disappointed. This restaurant was beautiful inside and also had a wonderful outdoor dining area by the water. The staff and service were great and the food was outstanding! I would highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family. If we are ever in the area, we will definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exelente restauranbarbarita0259Dined on 10/18/2014Muy btodo muy limpio y muy buena atencion .marabilloso. buena atención y muy buena comida.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencecharmaineVIPDined on 10/18/2014great food, good selection of items to choose from. server was very tentative. Overall great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/18/2014We always invite our visitors to experience an evening sitting on the Bay, dining at Columbia. Great view, terrific menu items ( all prepared to perfection ) and the finest service availableSpecial Features:
- OverallLuv2dineDined on 10/18/2014Atmosphere was wonderful, what a view. The service was good. Food was good a little pricey though. The imported sangria was wonderful. They make it at your table. We celebrated two birthdays and they came to our table and sang to us and treated us to flan which was good. The little store they have attached to the restaurant is cute with a lot of goodies you can buy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and views to matchRicanDined on 10/16/2014All the great food from the Columbia including the 1905 salad, Cuban bread and black bean soup plus amazing bay views. What is there not to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PompanoJonGaltDined on 10/16/2014Seems that most of our "special dinners" are at one of the Columbia locations more than any other Restaurant. After an appetizer of black bean cakes (gotta get this recipe),we reaffirmed our pleasure of once again having the pompano stuffed with crab meat and artichoke and baked in parchment paper. The fish was juicy and tender. The stuffing well portioned as an accent to the fish.The red sangria was as to be expected. Plenty of fruit, juice and wine in just the right combination. Our waiter was attentive, polite, and quick to respond to requests as the dinner progressed to a conclusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice visitthg765VIPDined on 10/16/2014We were seated right away. Service was exceptional. Our only real disappointment was dry chicken and beef in two of four dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and wonderfulLea107Dined on 10/15/2014The extensive menu takes some time to read. You may want to view online prior to going. But the detail is well worth the reading. Columbia has amazing selections and start you off with fresh baked Cuban bread. I love Tapas and would like to order everyone of them to sample. Besides the great food, Paul, our server was extraordinary. Friendly, helpful, fast....you just want him to sit down and join you. Great night...we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed It!djdiner2Dined on 10/12/2014We had a wonderful time at The Colombian! Dining at your restaurant was a marvelous and memorable anniversary event for us. We had Sangria, the 1905 Salad, the Spanish Bean Soup, with crab cakes. Everything was delicious! The scenery over looking the Intercostal Water Way was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceJustGetDessertDined on 10/12/2014Service was very, very slow even though the restaurant was empty - servers were just standing around - finally received our meal and it was very salty and I had to scrape the breading and under cooked, soggy bacon off of the shrimp (SHRIMP SUPREME), which left me with naked, tasteless shrimp. When the server finally came over asking how our meal was, I had already eaten 3 of the 5 naked shrimp and told him it was very salty with the breading and bacon on it. Offered another meal, but my dining partner was already done and I didn't feel like waiting another 1/2 hour for another meal. Very disappointed with the meal but the dessert was fabulous!Special Features:
- Perhaps the chef had a bad night?foodfrenzyDined on 10/11/2014This was my second time visiting Columbia restaurant. I remember my first experience being absolutely wonderful. The food was OUTSTANDING! This time however, I ordered the chicken, chorizo, peppers and onions ( I forget the name) and the chicken and chorizo was extremely well done. It was very difficult to chew. Our white sangria was delicious and the service was great, not to mention the lovely view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family dinnerfamilydinnersDined on 10/11/2014Good, attentive service. We had reservations and were seated on time. Great choices on the menu and were fed quickly. Everyone enjoyed themselves - no complaints and there were seven of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip this restaurant - tourist trapdineoutVIPDined on 10/11/2014My husband and dined here on Oct 11, 2014 for dinner. The service was painfully slow and our waitress would disappear for long periods of time. The food was beyond terrible. It was one of our worst dinners we've had at restaurants anywhere. Queso Fundido as appetizer - it was salty and bad tasting. Then my husband had Snapper Alicante and I had Arroz con Pollo. The Snapper dinner came with 2 fried shrimp and as other reviewers have commented, Shrimp tasted like bleach and very salty. The entire dish was way too salty to eat. Arroz con Pollo -it comes with wing and a thigh. Not much meat but the chicken was not as salty. The rice that came with it was salty and not good either. The quality of food is poor and service is even worse.
- Great foodIndydinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Awesome salad and snapper. Perfect service!! Wonderful water viewsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDugDugDined on 10/10/2014loved everything about this restaurant. The veal dish was outstanding as was the 1905 salad. Wait staff was excellent. Overall a great experience and would highly recommend to anyone in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.