210 Franklin St.
Niwot, CO 80504Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.colterra.com/
- Phone: 3036520777x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Bradford Heap
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering is available, on or off site. Private dining and restaurant buy-out available.
- Private Party Facilities: Historic Victorian cottage, located on property. Business meetings, private parties of 20-40 people. Restaurant buy-out available.
- Private Party Contact: Wade Sawaya 3036520777x
- Entertainment: Live Music on outdoor patio: Spring & Summer
- Special Events: Wine Dinners every third Thursday of the month, please call for further details.
A word from Colterra
Colterra invites you to escape to the country, just minutes from downtown Boulder in the charming historic town of Niwot. Happen upon the authentic romantic setting and enjoy classic French country food created by Chef/Owner Bradford Heap. Trained in France with 3 star Michelin Chef's Alain Ducasse and Georges Blanc, Bradford has taken his last endeavors to top Zagat ratings. His newest restaurant focuses on using the freshest local produce, respecting the pure simple flavors of seasonal ingredients. Knowledgeable wine pairings, complete with climate controlled cabinet provides the finest possible wines by the glass, making Colterra an experience not to be missed. Top 10 new restaurant by 5280 magazine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Colterra - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Colterra reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (151)special occasion (131)fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (107)romantic (91)notable wine list (62)great for brunch (51)great for lunch (49)good for groups (44)scenic view (22)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- a gemdocluDined on 8/31/2014This is a nice getaway place to dine, quiet, rustic but chic atmosphere, simple yet flavorful meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationpaterfamiliaDined on 8/30/2014We have been to Colterra many times, and this was to celebrate an 81st birthday. As usual, it was a very pleasant experience, and we will, again, be back!Special Features:
- A TreasurevisitorsVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place is always very very good. We've never had a complaint. Really like the small plates - they are definitely enough when salad and dessert are included.Special Features:
- Excellent!MmmGoodDined on 8/29/2014Flavorful fresh vegetables and herbs from the restaurant's garden. Very tasty from appetizer to dessert! Helpful and attentive server.Special Features:
- kmjmDined on 8/23/2014Food was great. We originally set this for 5280 week last February. We were told after we were seated, had to inquire, about the 5280 week. Apparently they decided not to participate - who knows, after they see how many people made reservations. They told us there others who had anticipated the same. Everything was very good, food, service, but just felt a little deceived.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Boulder AreaCA2CODined on 8/23/2014It's hands down the best restaurant I've been to in Colorado, every time I'm blown away by the food, cocktails and amazing service. I have had some incredible dining experiences but this is still the best, very warm and inviting in a stunning building. I would say that this most recent trip was the best meal I've ever had,saying quite a lot and Colterra is always my first choice for a true 5 star Colorado experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare Rural findDJODDined on 8/23/2014Located in a small Colorado town minutes from Boulder, Colterra is a strong competitor in the vibrant Boulder food scene. The restaurant is located on an inviting shaded corner in Niwot, surrounded by a garden with fresh vegetables and herbs used by the chef in many of his inventive dishes. Great service and a delightful outdoor area make for a great dining experience. I would have given it a plus for outdoor dining, but the restaurant is a little too close to some railroad tracks. The rare train passing can be a jolt. It was our first visit to Colterra and we are already planning our second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of townergr8dinerdzinerDined on 8/22/2014Nice setting- Salads and Appetizers were great. All of the food was exceptional- except for my desert- it was just OK..... But my wife's desert was exceptional. One of the entre portions (filet) could have been 25-30% larger. Overall- it was the best food and best experience we have had while visiting the area. Kind of pricy for the portion size, but not for the quality and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu and great drink listDinnermanDined on 8/22/2014Pricey but delicious. Great atmosphere. I proposed here, so this will forever be "our" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddietheaDined on 8/22/2014Chef Michael is one of the best CHEFS in Colorado. His seafood is outstanding, as his meat dishes, beef, chicken or pork. Stop by to try this outstanding CHEF,Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!SusiqVIPDined on 8/21/2014Went here with friends for my birthday and it was awesome! So good! Great food and service! Ambiance too! :)Special Features:
- Excellent service made sure on patiSpagettidogDined on 8/17/2014Farm to table eating food was good a few minor problems. Poached egg over cooked on Benedict, bread dry or not toasted correctly on sandwich. Overall good experience. Good patio, good drinks, nice brunch.Special Features:
- good dinnerwowedatthetopDined on 8/16/2014Food was good. Service was excellent. Outdoor dining was a nice experience. Did an outstanding job of accommodating my lady's food allergies. Especially enjoyed the minestrone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014Great place to celebrate a wedding anniversary. Food was amazingly delicious, desserts decadent and our server was very attentive and accommodating. Enjoyed every minute of our special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much for the money.PoppyDined on 8/10/2014Ridiculously expensive and not filling when there are so many other places that are great and worth the money spent. The service was not great and we had to ask other servers to get our server twice. Our dining companions agreed that it was not worth the money spent.Special Features:
- Great serviceMiszenaDined on 8/10/2014A lovely eatery in a tranquil location. Great service with an innovative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disapointingexpectationsDined on 8/9/2014The online menu included duck. When i arrived there was no duck on the menu. It was so hot in the house. There was no outside seating.. very expensive for very little and not many options. The best minestrone i have ever had. The best rattatoiu i have ever had.other items where smal and not of note. Very expensive wine but not impressed by it.Special Features:
- Love the patioSkodaJenDined on 8/6/2014We met for a going away dinner of one of our closest girlfriends. We chose Niwot as some of us were coming from Boulder and some from Longmont. I LOVE Colterra's patio, and on this evening it was delightful. Service was a bit off. I was the first to arrive and hadn't decided on a drink and told the server I needed a moment to look at the list. It was a very long time until I was finally able to order a drink. Not once, but twice was my plate almost taken away when I wasn't finished yet. My salad was wonderful. I ordered the salad and a small plate. The small plate, a pork lasagnette, was tasty, but I wished it had more pasta. Overall the food was very good and again, you cannot beat the setting on the patio.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/5/2014We were entertaining our friends from out of town, in celebration of a birthday. Their request was for a casual place with excellent food. Colterra was perfect. Every dish we ordered was delicious and unique. I particularly loved the squash blossoms and the chocolate symphony dessert.Special Features:
- LolaLolaDined on 8/5/2014Late summer Colorado evenings are even better on Colterra's patio. The staff is attentive and the food makes you even happier to live here. You can taste the sunshine in the fresh vegetables and the goat cheese is smooth and tart. We had petite squash stuffed with basil and chèvre that was fried in a light batter. We were surprised to find a fried dish in Boulder County- it was a delightful mix of textures and flavors. We shared the risotto special with scallops and pork belly. Pork belly makes everything better but it didn't completely upstage the scallops. They were balanced well with the risotto. We went on a Tuesday night and almost every patio table was seated. The staff was busy but we never felt forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful evening!SuzOLDined on 8/4/2014An overall great experience. Setting, food, service all fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat to be at ColterraLisaHVIPDined on 8/4/2014Gracious staff, fabulous food, best outdoor dining site…always a nice place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colterra food always great!ShawfamilyfavoriteDined on 7/29/2014Our return to Colterra echoed previous visits. Great healthy, local grown food, good service, excellent for our wedding anniversary. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Food is great as always, service as always is a little on the slow side.
- One of my favoriteslisadelavisaDined on 7/24/2014We had a lovely dinner at Colterra. The food and wine were very good, the service professional and attentive and the outdoor patio very beautiful. The live music (quiet dinner jazz) was perfect for the summer evening. If you want a great restaurant away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Boulder, this is a perfect alternative.Special Features:
- Work lunchworklunchDined on 7/24/2014Excellent lunch/food;service with my IBM colleagues...will be coming again next monthSpecial Features:
- The Best of ColoradoNiceWVIPDined on 7/22/2014A restaurant not to be missed if you are anywhere near the small, picturesque town of Niwot. The food is carefully prepared, ingredients are locally sourced and the tastes are uncommon and marvelous. First, I had the ginger carrot soup. It was not sweet. The flavor was complex and adult and crunchy croutons were a nice contrast. Then I had a special, pork lasagnette, a kind of deconstructed lasagna with the freshest veggies imaginable. Delectable. My companions shared the Coriander crusted Ahi Tuna and loved it. They also shared the charcuterie appetizer and thought it yummy. Dessert was a fudge cake topped with a berry ice cream ( I forget its name). Check out their website and make a reservation. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Meal from heavenilgiardinoDined on 7/19/2014Boulder's food scene is pretentious and over-rated. But, this is the real thing. Best meal I've had in years.Special Features:
- Good but pricey.TomHDined on 7/19/2014Will only go back for special occasions as it is overpriced! We & many others had a bug problem in spite of the citronella candles all around.Special Features:
- TasterDined on 7/19/2014Surprisingly, food was not outstanding. Previous experiences at Colterra and Salt led us to have a higher expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!FoodaholicDined on 7/18/2014I had been to Colterra before, but always in the winter. The outdoor patio was really special! I told our waitperson about a moscow mule martini I had enjoyed somewhere else, and she made one for me even better than the original! Food was amazing! I had a kale and crusted goat cheese salad and my friend had the halibut special, followed by creme brûlée. Really special evening, but definitely a special occasion place because of the cost.Special Features:
- elegant,great views, not adjacent.juliaschildDined on 7/17/2014Rare is it on the front range that one can experience eating beneath trees. Being a dryer region there is not an abundance of restaurants that offer a cover of green foliage. The care in the chosen decor inside and out makes colterra excel before you have puruised the menu. Sitting outside under an oak with an occasional breeze and the sunflowers bursting from their flower garden i was transported to another reality for an hour out of my day. The turnip~ squash soup with fennel, olive oil and a hit of cheese was yummy. The tuna i got was rare,fresh, and perfection . Nestled in a bed of summer lettuce, carrot, potato and a pile of mixed olives it was a nearly perfect plate. I imagine everything is good here and i will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good...But, Worth the Price?LandoDined on 7/14/2014We had our first experience at Colterra recently for our anniversary. I thought that the service was good (not above and beyond) and the food was good. My husband got the New York Strip and I got the halibut. However, it did not blow us away. I think that for a $39 steak and a $32 halibut, it should be amazing.Special Features:
- Good food---coldginakDined on 7/12/2014Disappointed that fillet was sliced. Companion prefers seeing whole steak. Waiter seemed to be taking care of the entire room. Saw him when food was delivered, for one check on acceptability and again for dessert/ coffee, and bill. Bus boy was good. Noise level terribly high. Was hoarse when I got home from shouting. Food was only luke warm when delivered. Got cold quickly. My "rack" of lamb consisted of one rib chop, which was delicious, but certainly NOT a "rack"! Flavors were excellent over-all. Kale, which I don't normally care for, was outstanding. Presentation was beautiful.Special Features:
- Superb ColterraJohnDined on 7/12/2014First time visit and the food was incredible. Service was impeccable. Niwot has a wonderful little gem in Colterra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming in NiwotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Colterra is a charming, calm environment in the old town center of Niwot. Their outdoor seating looked beautiful. We decided to eat inside because of threatening rain. Our appetizers (beat salad and white bean soup) were delicious and very fresh. Our only, slight, criticism was that the salmon entree was ordered medium but was served medium-well. The pork loin chop was sumptuous and prepared perfectly. Sides were very tasty, as was dessert. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Hamburger at LunchMac1VIPDined on 7/10/2014Not the best hamburger I have had anywhere! Medium rare came through as medium and bun not that tasty!
- I'll be backRockinGalDined on 7/9/2014I had dinner the other night with friends from Longmont. We all enjoyed it and thought it was excellent! The ambiance is much better than Salt, the parking easier, the food and service top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/7/2014Not much has been updated since my last visit several years ago. expected a little more from this chef.
- Great experiencedinner42Dined on 7/6/2014Excellent food, excellent waitperson, very nice outdoor tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.