210 Franklin St.
Niwot, CO 80504Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.colterra.com/
- Phone: 3036520777x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Bradford Heap
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering is available, on or off site. Private dining and restaurant buy-out available.
- Private Party Facilities: Historic Victorian cottage, located on property. Business meetings, private parties of 20-40 people. Restaurant buy-out available.
- Private Party Contact: Wade Sawaya 3036520777x
- Entertainment: Live Music on outdoor patio: Spring & Summer
- Special Events: Wine Dinners every third Thursday of the month, please call for further details.
A word from Colterra
Colterra invites you to escape to the country, just minutes from downtown Boulder in the charming historic town of Niwot. Happen upon the authentic romantic setting and enjoy classic French country food created by Chef/Owner Bradford Heap. Trained in France with 3 star Michelin Chef's Alain Ducasse and Georges Blanc, Bradford has taken his last endeavors to top Zagat ratings. His newest restaurant focuses on using the freshest local produce, respecting the pure simple flavors of seasonal ingredients. Knowledgeable wine pairings, complete with climate controlled cabinet provides the finest possible wines by the glass, making Colterra an experience not to be missed. Top 10 new restaurant by 5280 magazine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Colterra - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Colterra reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (146)fit for foodies (128)special occasion (127)neighborhood gem (107)romantic (100)notable wine list (60)good for groups (43)great for lunch (40)great for brunch (39)scenic view (18)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not as expectedjoy2eatDined on 10/22/2014Had reservations for dinner, this was our 2nd visit, the first visit we were invited by friends and had a wonderful experience, we decided to try it again with very special friends of ours and had less than a satisfied experience. The hostess greeting us was great! After that it seemed to go down. The restaurant was not very busy, the waiter seemed pre-occupied and not very friendly. One of the meals had to be sent back to be re-cooked and when returned it was not very tasty. Meat was a little over done, asked for medium well and it was well done. I will savor the first visit and unless invited probably will not return for a third on my own.Special Features:
- PhilVIPDined on 10/19/2014As usual, very good. Out of town guest enjoyed as well.Special Features:
- Amazing!DubaitoDenverDined on 10/11/2014We picked this restaurant based on reviews and it didn't disappoint. Everything we tasted was perfection, and we're already planning our second dinner at Colterra. Completely worth the drive from Denver!Special Features:
- Great as usualnatalieDined on 10/10/2014Food and service were great as usual. Prompt, swift service, great meals. We love the ambience of the place - it is such a beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood. I had the fall vegetable platter and it was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good start to finishSturgDined on 10/5/2014Colterra is a great choice for a first rate dinner. The corn and parsnip soup and the cheese course were great starters. My wife had the sirloin small plate ( not that small). I had the squash risotto topped by a perfectly cooked sea bass. Finished with a flourless chocolate cake which was rich and just the right size. Service was excellent. Do try it. And hit their sister restaurant Salt while you're at it. Won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of town guestthegolfguyDined on 10/5/2014We always bring our out of town guests. And when they come back, they always want to go back.Special Features:
- Relaxing BrunchSantaFeFanDined on 10/5/2014We enjoyed a very nice Sunday brunch with our daughter and her boyfriend. The food was delicious and service very attentive. We all enjoy good food and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Age 55 and up45KRDined on 10/4/2014Colterra is not a hip scene and seemed a bit old fashioned for the menu. The ambiance was poor, with very bright lighting and an older person feel. The bar was small and not fit for enjoying a cocktail before dinner. We are in our 40s and felt like kids. The food was good, but I've had better in Boulder. Honestly I was too distracted by the ambiance. It probably would have been better if we were on the patio outside. The service was so so. The wait staff came by often, but did not remove used and empty barware until I handed it to them. We won't be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Great good, limited menuMIkeDined on 9/30/2014The menu was a bit more limited than I had hoped. However, the food was excellent. Everything we had exceeded my expectations. Amazing lamb and filet special.Special Features:
- A gemJm96Dined on 9/29/2014An unexpected delight! Located on a tranquil corner in Niwot - this restaurant was a true gem. Quaint, charming and inviting. Excellent food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies lunchSeaworthyDined on 9/29/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday with a good mimosa & tilapia. The fish was delicately salted & moist, with fresh mussels in a light sauce. Yum. The chocolate plate dessert was the highlight though. Wonderful truffle, ice cream, cookie but the cream-topped chocolate mousse was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experiencescoleDined on 9/25/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a lovely dinner for two out in their garden. The quiet neighborhood and excellent weather made it a perfect evening. Our waiter, Dave helped make the experience even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colterra - consistently very good.delicousnessDined on 9/25/2014Our favorite restaurants in Niwot is Colterra. The owner, Bradford Heap, knows his stuff and the menu is always perfect for the season, has lots of local, organic ingredients and is always delicious. We like to go for special occasions or to bring out of town guests who love good food. We love the old farmhouse that houses it -It has a lovely ambience. Although it's not inexpensive, it's also not the most pricey restaurant in the Boulder area.Special Features:
- Not up to the usual standardsHbarnesjrDined on 9/25/2014Our experience was not up to the usual standard we have come to expect. My medium rare steak was rare on one end and well done on the other. The waiter forgot my salad. He offered to comp us dessert but two of the four desserts were so old and over cooked they could not be eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambianceMikeGDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I enjoy dining at Colterra very much. The food is wonderful, and the restaurant atmosphere allows for comfortable conversation over dinner. The staff is knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jonsmomDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful lunch as celebration for my mom's 90th birthday. It was all perfect!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great energyfoodie17Dined on 9/22/2014The food here was so delicious, and the portion size was perfect. Wine list was thorough and offered plenty of options by the glass or by the bottle. I highly recommend this restaurant to anybody looking to have great, local food.Special Features:
- All goodSeaworthyDined on 9/22/2014Five of us dined at lunchtime & we all chose something different. I was lucky enough to split the rissoto de mer & tuna nicoise with a friend & didn't regret it. Their tried & tested nicoise provided a generous amount of perfectly seared tuna on a salad with a light vinaigrette. The rissoto was probably the highlight though. Crisp kernels of fresh corn gave a crunch to the rice, delicately flavored & topped with mussels & salmon. Exceptionally good. Others had the steak, portabello mushroom & wild Alaskan salmon & all the plates left the table empty. Desserts were a must & proves to be as good as the main. The lavender creme brûlée just beat the chocolate torte & peach cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularSantaFe7VIPDined on 9/21/2014Once again I brought several of my friends to Colterra for another round of spectacular food. They have a semi-private room that seats 8 and we delighted in having our favorite server attend to us. (We have known her for years since her service at Terrior, in Longmont, which is now closed.) She is superb and one of the reasons we come to Niwot. The tomato soup is sooo delicious as were the various salads and all of the entrees. We shared a few bottles of deliciousl wine, cleaned our plates and went out in to rainy night quite happy, once again, to eat and this terrific restaurant. I will be back again, guests in tow.Special Features:
- Gourmet al-fresco dining!canteloupe1Dined on 9/20/2014To sit out on their beautiful patio under gentle twinkling lights and tiki torches on a beautiful fall night was wonderful. To be fed healthy, delicious food made it perfect.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Enjoyed the lovely outdoor seating. It was a perfect place for a special celebration dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Yummy and Fun!TwinsnmeDined on 9/13/2014Perfect date night place!. Salad and soup Amazing. Dinner OMG. Dessert out of this world. All farm fresh and local.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We had not been to Colterra in a couple of years and it was as great as I always remember it. I messed up the reservation time and they still accommodated us. The food, service and outdoor patio was amazing!Special Features:
- Celebrating a significant birthday!SaritaDined on 9/9/2014And, really, aren't they all significant? Finally made it to Colterra with my family and the evening was lovely. Food, service, ambiance and special dessert made it a memorable visit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchSeaworthyDined on 9/8/2014Enjoyed a quiet, unhurried lunch with friends. One friend ordered & enjoyed the special: grilled chicken & avocado sandwich. I ordered the tilapia dish which I've had before. Unfortunately, the sauce was over-salted which distracted from the perfectly cooked fish. My other friend had the same order, also too salty. Shame, but won't stop me going back, such a relaxing place to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchheatherDined on 9/7/2014The food was great - so many exciting choices we need to go back to try some more of the seasonal dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemteamseekDined on 9/6/2014I would not have known about this place, but a friend works here and recommended this restaurant. It turned out to be a great find! The food was fresh and amazing, the ambiance was relaxing and the patio is a great place to sit out under the stars for dining. We had great service, our water glasses were always full and service was quick. Highly recommend this restaurant for foodies.Special Features:
- Little Niwot has a winnerPochenDined on 9/6/2014It's a bit off the radar up in Niwot but they take their food seriously. We ate outside because it was a gorgeous Colorado evening and because Niwot is a quiet little town, there was no street noise or hustle and bustle so it was really relaxed. The food was outstanding and creative. Sauces in particular really added to the dishes. The wine list had some interesting items on it that allowed for great pairings. Service was attentive and helpful. I know there is a sister restaurant in Boulder but I'd drive the 20 minutes out to Colterra anytime just for the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErraticmarcoliusVIPDined on 9/6/2014I've had some ethereal meals here, but some mediocre food, too. Had brunch this trip. Evidently "fritatta" to them means, "scrambled eggs with some stuff piled on top". Good....just not as billed. Lovely eating outside on a warm fall morning, though. I'll still be back.Special Features:
- Perfect partyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Celebrated moms 99th birthday here and it couldn't have been better. Our server, Dave, made all the difference. He was attentive to her in a non patronizing way. Making sure she was seated in the quietest side of the table, could hear the specials and got the side dishes she wanted. Eating out with Mom is always a challenge given the above usually doesn't go well. Our guests were impressed by the menu and ambience and of course the service was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing service; long waitsBruceVIPDined on 9/5/2014Having dined at Colterra before I expected good food & service for the five of us. But, experienced very poor service & a fixed review on food. I ordered the mussels appetizer (very good) and the others ordered salads. I was splitting a salad. We waited quite awhile for the mussels & salads. Finally, the mussels arrived but no salads so I was the only one eating. Waited 10-15 mins more for salads. So, we are nearly an hour since ordering, plus more 20+ mins to get entrees. Lamb & steak were cold & one overcooked, but everyone was so hungry by now we just shut up and ate. The sea bass (ordered by two of us) was very good so a very mixed review on the food; thumbs down on service. Overall, I expected more from Colterra. Dining date 9/5/14.
- EngridDined on 9/5/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at Colterra - the food is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColterraOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014We love dining at Colterra. We have only good experiences there.Special Features:
- AlexandraDined on 9/3/2014Getting a table outside is an absolute must. The interior is nice, but can feel a bit dark and lonely on a quieter evening. The bar area is quaint. Food, service are superb. Great specialty cocktails.Special Features:
- Quality service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014The Server was attentive and very knowledgeable about the whole menu, giving tidbits of information like the origin of the different cheeses on a cheese plate and how they are made, great wine recommendations, and non-intrusive. Not super bubbly happy or checking on us every 3 minutes, just very good at what he does. The food was high quality and had lots of flavor. They treated us to dessert which was also great quality.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/2/2014Very helpful server. Informed and attentive. Excellent food as always.Special Features:
- a gemdocluDined on 8/31/2014This is a nice getaway place to dine, quiet, rustic but chic atmosphere, simple yet flavorful meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect al fresco Sunday BrunchReedelVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food at Colterra is always excellent featuring creative use of locally grown ingredients (some fresh from the garden around the tables on the patio). The shaded outdoor dining with breezes rustling the huge trees and the mellow live music from the "front porch" made for a perfect brunch setting. Our server was excellent, knowledgeable, friendly, yet professional and most accomodating of questions and special requests. The bar makes some perfect drinks for a mellow brunch from a great Bloody Mary to the silky "Breakfast-in-Bed". One of the best brunch spots in CO!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationpaterfamiliaDined on 8/30/2014We have been to Colterra many times, and this was to celebrate an 81st birthday. As usual, it was a very pleasant experience, and we will, again, be back!Special Features:
- Beautiful GardenkellymVIPDined on 8/30/2014Delicious food and beautiful garden. The corn and bacon risotto was fabulous.Special Features: