121 E 17th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehousenyc.com/
- Phone: 2123532121
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun: 12:00pm-3:30pm; Lunch: Tues-Fri 12pm-3:30pm; Dinner: Mon-Thurs: 5:00pm-11:15pm; Fri-Sat 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sean Olnowich
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please contact Katherine Trujillo at email@example.com for more information on large party's, buy outs, or special event reservations.
A word from The House
The House is a magnificently restored 1854 carriage house located in the historic Gramercy Park. The three floor layout allows us to accommodate from your most intimate gatherings to large party events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The House reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (8)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (5)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (2)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A gem in Union SquareroxanneVIPDined on 9/7/2014On a Sunday night, this was a perfect place to meet friends driving in from the suburbs. Plenty of street parking. Quiet spot on a Sunday which was perfect for conversation. Food was good, but not great. I had the tuna which our waiter recommended. It was okay. There was something in whatever they used to encrust it which actually felt like sand or grit. Not sure what it was. Everyone else seemed to like their meals a great deal. The pasta dish was one I had never heard of, but was terrific. Would go back on a Sunday evening, but would not get the tuna next time.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014I went here with my parents but it's also a perfect date spot. Great atmosphere, food and service. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ALamVIPDined on 8/16/2014The House recently changed ownership/management, but they've retained just about the same great menu that I remember. The food is delicious and they didn't have a problem with us making a last-minute, late-night reservation. Definitely try the truffle mac and cheese! Thanks for the great meal!Special Features:
- terribleMarkVIPDined on 7/21/2014I had my anniversary dinner planned here weeks in advance. I called the restaurant the day before to confirm and then again 20 minutes prior to dinner actually starting. Turns out they were closed and didn't even bother to let us know. I had to scramble to find a suitable alternative and disappoint my wife on an important day. I wrote them an email and left plenty of voicemails as did my wife. Apparently they called her and offered a free round of drinks. Ehem, that's really, really cheap of them. I spoke with many friends about it. Apparently their food isn't even that great so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
- Restaurant is closedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/9/2014I was very disappointed when I arrived at the restaurant and it was closed for renovations. How was I able to make a reservation?
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Upon planning a whole night and traveling into the city from Long Island, we arrived during a rainstorm at the front door of The House to find the door locked. The lights were off and a small sign noted that it had been closed for renovations. News to me and my date. I can find nothing on the restaurants website, opentable or anywhere that the restaurant would be closed. Very disappointed
- Restaurant Was ClosedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2014I made a reservation on Open Table last week for the House and without any warning or message from either the restaurant or Open Table upon arrival found the restaurant completely closed. This is unacceptable. I will be cautious when using this service in the future, as well as cautious about frequenting this restaurant.
- Bad experienceKatienycVIPDined on 7/1/2014It was terrible because it was closed and I was not notified. We showed up for friend's birthday and the restaurant was closed. This is really unacceptable.
- JudsonJudsonbkDined on 5/30/2014This was my second time there. Still trying to sit upstairs but I was happy I was able to even get a table since I was an hour late. Love the food and the server Josh has a great personality and is fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a romantic date spotAliceDined on 5/27/2014Service was very slow, food was sub par. When y ou walk in, the place smells like leftover beer. Not a romantic spot for a date, but not even a good place for food in general. Got the mac n cheese and it was so runny, I though they brought out the wrong dish. Save yourself the time and money. Pick another place.
- The following 749 reviews are from the The House reviews archive.
- Lovely tunaJoJoDined on 5/11/2014We visited for brunch on our first day in NYC, having missed out on a table at our first choice. It was a lovely sunny day so we opted for an outside seat, which was lovely, if a bit dusty! I had the tuna (from the specials board) which although twice the price of the tuna on the main menu, was absolutely delicious. Mouth-wateringly good! The eggs benedict my partner ordered was okay, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Charming and quietJCardiffVIPDined on 5/8/2014The food is solid here, except for the mac and cheese with truffles which I find a little watery. I guess I just prefer a baked mac and cheese. Great vegetarian options here to with a vegetable panino and great faro with butternut squash dish at a recent lunch. The burger is great. I've never been upstairs -- only eating in the bar area which is charming and downstairs at a special dinner which was right off the kitchen. You really can hear your dinner companions here and that is so rare today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice venueDTravelerDined on 5/6/2014Nice building in nice location. Food very good. Entrees reasonably priced; appetizers and alcohol overpriced. (Deviled eggs were tasty, but $14 for four deviled egg halves?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unsuspected gemSandyVIPDined on 4/27/2014The lovely townhouse setting would suffice. Add skilled cuisine and a soundtrack of vintage blues, and the result is a superlative, memorable experience. We checked it out on a twofer -- will definitely return full-fare.Special Features:
- Good food but...ANNADined on 4/27/2014The staff is very accommodating, but and the Food was fantastic, however the service was really poor. We never got the bread, one of the appetizers was brought after the main dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENCE AT A REASONABLE PRICEJeffreyGLVIPDined on 4/26/2014I made my reservation for a special birthday based on Zagat recommendations and was not disappointed. Our waiter could not have been nicer, in a very genuine way. Room is quite comfortable and food is better than it has any right to be for the price. Setting is a lovely town house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhylccDined on 4/26/2014Great appetizer selection. Mushroom flatbread was a must. Had the scallops with butternut puree. Scallops were excellent, but puree was too soupy, needed a bit more substance to be able to enjoy. Friend had scallops as well and felt the same. Other friend had the chicken, loved it, thought it was a tad dry. Enjoyed the sundae for dessert, but the coffee was too strong for us. Service was fabulous. Love the atmosphere and architecture of the restaurant.Special Features:
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 4/19/2014We were charged 32 dollars for 4! Yes, four scallops!! The steak was small and overcooked. Salad was 14 dollars for basically two leaves of letuce, artfully arranged on the plate to create an illusion of volume. We filled up on bread Dont go there...you will leave hungry.
- Perfect AccidentFussyFoodieDined on 4/18/2014We decided to go to The House because we had some friends visiting the neighborhood. ..well we all figured if nothing else we would have a drink and casual dinner...well we had the best evening we ha e had in a long time. Beautiful atmosphere, wonderful Happy servers AND amazing food...This is worth a visit...Can't wait to go back...again and again! See you next Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedCWrightVIPDined on 4/15/2014The food was good, the service not as good. I expected more than just a bar, but it was fine for what it was. Prices a bit on the high side for what you got. Wine list needs improvement.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for our AnniversaryAlexDined on 4/12/2014Chose The House for our 1 year anniversary and couldn't have been happier. Great food, interesting menu and best of all was the ambiance. Very romantic and not too loud as some NYC restaurants can be. A little bit on the pricey side, but for a special occasion it was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014We went here for a friends surprise birthday dinner. She immediately fell in love with the ambience. The combination of relaxing jazz music and local neighbor friendliness was perfect. The food was delicious, the bartender made amazing drinks, and we left with full happy bellies. It was the perfect touch for such a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for celebrations!JennDined on 3/30/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. It was romantic and the food was fit for foodies. Can't wait to return! They brought out a special dessert for my wife and the drinks were perfectly made we had to have 3 of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiter was attentive andCityGalVIPDined on 3/30/2014The waiter was attentive and helpful, gave good recommendations. The trio of dips to start was flavorful and yummy! Needed more flatbread to go with it. Eggs Benedict were very good, I recommend the hollandaise sauce on the side. The atmosphere was lively, as other patrons were celebrating birthdays, taking pics and chatting. It's not the kind of place for a private, intimate meal, but it's not too noisy either. And the Sinatra tunes in the background were fun. Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingTravelerDined on 3/23/2014This is a nice restaurant and probably great for neighborhood people but my experience wasn't special. The music might be good for the vibe but was too loud for a romantic dinner. The food was fully priced and simply good. The staff was nice and professional but simply that-no personality to make you feel special-and that might be fine in a large restaurant but this one is small and intimate. I brought a European friend there and wished that I had picked something a little more special.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseKatieDDined on 3/23/2014The House, which we had thought might be a bit stuffy, was anything but. The hostess and waitstaff were gracious and attentive. Our meals were delicious, with perfectly sized portions. The atmosphere was formal, but the ambiance was relaxed. A great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Great for a special occasion -- the waitstaff was outstanding - super friendly & funny! The food was wonderful and the ambiance was super cute & cozy. Perfect intimate dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014great food but staff on their phones. music was great and service was too. it was a bit expensive, but the mac and cheese truffle is worth every penny. the knives are strangeSpecial Features:
- Meeting for WorkbillDined on 2/26/2014This place was great. Great hostess, great waiter as well. The seafood was amazing. I went for a client meeting and the setting could not be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place for an intimate lunchHappydinerVIPDined on 2/19/2014Quiet, nice place, but the service is spotty and Manu not quite broad enough for healthy eaters. Nice ambiance but a menu expansion would helpSpecial Features:
- Great place to goJustinDined on 2/18/2014A cute place to go with a good friend or significant other, loved the inside and outside; service was quality and the food was excellent. I was all about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The House...JMerced456Dined on 2/16/2014Small space to done at but definitely a smooth & relaxing ambiance. Food was very flavorful but the amount/sizing was sufficient for me. Try to be seating upstairs and make sure to book well in advance do to the small spacing & popularity of the restaurant. I would recommend this place to everyone BUT since I have a big diet and I like a wider variety of food when I'm out eating I will not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMRiaDined on 2/16/2014Best Mac and cheese ever!! Very romantic setting. Great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and sweetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Went here for valentines day it was cute and cozy. Perfect for an anniversary dinner or valentines day. Will definitely Go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly pricey, but theMpswans1Dined on 2/14/2014Incredibly pricey, but the food's quality lives up to it! Went for Valentines Day, so I think the regular menu is a little bit more affordable, but overall fantastic. Small portions, but will fill you up if you're not looking for a Big Mac and lArge fry feeling of satiation. Super romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingValerieDined on 2/14/2014Via our Open Table reservation , we requested the most romantic table but were seated in the bar area. I assumed that this was the most they could offer. When i took a look around, I found that the upper level was quieter and more dimly lit. To my surprise, there were vacancies in the upper level. Also, the seating in the bar area was not ideal for romance as the chairs and tables were tall and pub-like. The music in the bar area was also too loud. It felt too busy even though there was only one or no additional couples in our section at all times.Special Features:
- unpleasant hostess and too noiseMaruDined on 2/12/2014I got this recomendation for the perfect dinner to celebrate a romantic birthday and it wasn't due to the place was full, the hostess was unpleasant and rude, the noise was too loud, the food is good but not enough to clear the first impresion of the hostess. I will not recomend this, eventhough i made a reservation the table wasn't ready when we arrived. What a shame!Special Features:
- Lovely evening...AnonymousVIPDined on 2/12/2014Our dinner at The House was lovely. Wonderful ambience, very good food and service. The prices were not outrageous and the portions were appropriate... Not too large and not too small. My only complaint would be that the wine list was extraordinarily expensive. You could buy quartinos for a somewhat high price... I could not justify paying the overly inflated prices for a bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a pleasant surpriseKathy2goVIPDined on 2/1/2014It is a jewel in Union Square with a old carriage house turned into a charming restaurant. What a pleasant surprise find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treasurelynnVIPDined on 1/25/2014The fire was burning in the fireplace, the table was large and the chairs comfortable. The food is amazing here. It was comfort food from lobster macaroni to wild boar lasagna, but also had lighter fare for those that preferred it. Everything tasted great. One person had the roast chicken, one had the lightly seared tuna, and another had the lasagna. It was all delicious! The starters, endive salad, and pulpo (grilled octopus) were equally delightful. The dessert offerings were plentiful, the sundae is to be avoided (how can a sundae be dry????) but the apple dish was divine.Special Features: