121 E 17th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehousenyc.com/
- Phone: 2123532121
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun: 12:00pm-3:30pm; Lunch: Tues-Fri 12pm-3:30pm; Dinner: Mon-Thurs: 5:00pm-11:15pm; Fri-Sat 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sean Olnowich
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please contact Katherine Trujillo at email@example.com for more information on large party's, buy outs, or special event reservations.
A word from The House
The House is a magnificently restored 1854 carriage house located in the historic Gramercy Park. The three floor layout allows us to accommodate from your most intimate gatherings to large party events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The House reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (22)special occasion (17)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- lovely but saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Our party of 3 enjoyed the relaxed (homey) atmosphere & attentive service but we all found our meals to be salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GastonSingeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Beautiful space! Good food. Nice people. Some lighter food options would be good.
- Romantic and Beautifulase1707VIPDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I enjoyed our evening at The House. This is a very special and spectacularly beautiful old house that has been tastefully refurnished to become a lovely place to enjoy drinks and dinner. We chose to sit upstairs after a warm welcome. It took a long time to order a drink and then a long time to receive it, but after that the service was improved and professional. The food is very good with a mushroom/cheese/truffle oil flatbread that was amazing. My scallop dish was very good, but the brussels sprouts missed the mark. We will return to this very pretty and very romantic restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spotShoegal21Dined on 10/12/2014Great little spot. It used to be an apartment/home and now it's a restaurant. Very cozy and different. Great food. Scallops & braised short ribs were delicious.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantDonaldDined on 10/10/2014Great place, very romatic. If you are going Friday night to Sunday make a reservation it fills up fast. I will definetly be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Restaurant,OpenTable Res. PoorRFRKDined on 10/4/2014'The House' is a lovely, special occasion restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. My problem lies with "Open Table" Reservations. I needed a 6pm reservation, for four people, and was told that only 5:30 was available. So I tried 6:30 and once again was directed to only 5:30 being available. So I took the 5:30 reservation. The restaurant did not fill up even when we left the place at 7:45pm. Upon speaking to the manager we were told that there was no reason we should not have been given a 6pm reservation. Tables were available. So I hope that "Open Table" can work out problems like this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but expensivejjvvvvvvDined on 9/29/2014Nice time there with my girlfriend. Quiet and romantic place. The food was excellent, but maybe too expensive.Special Features:
- aprillongDined on 9/28/2014Our party of three each truly enjoyed our meals. We had no complaints at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Reviews said that the restaurant was quiet- not so in our case. Tuna was very salty - scallops were good. service was Meh.
- Great spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014We had an early reservation (7pm) and were the only ones seated upstairs. A small cozy floor with low ceilings (it was once the 2nd floor of a carriage house after all), and a beautifully appointed bar. We were given the best table right in front of the large circular window looking out onto the street. It was dimly lit and quiet with nice music playing. Things got louder as space filled up around 8:30-9pm. The hostess, waitstaff, and management were all top notch. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Arrived early so we had a drink at the bar on the first floor. Friendly bartender, great drinks, lovely room. We then had dinner upstairs and once again the service was wonderful, room beautiful and the food creative and delicious. My friend is a chef and restaurant owner so we asked him to order for us...he ordered many different dishes for us to all share. Delicious!!! The music was even fun and we were singing to the oldies. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Union SquareroxanneVIPDined on 9/7/2014On a Sunday night, this was a perfect place to meet friends driving in from the suburbs. Plenty of street parking. Quiet spot on a Sunday which was perfect for conversation. Food was good, but not great. I had the tuna which our waiter recommended. It was okay. There was something in whatever they used to encrust it which actually felt like sand or grit. Not sure what it was. Everyone else seemed to like their meals a great deal. The pasta dish was one I had never heard of, but was terrific. Would go back on a Sunday evening, but would not get the tuna next time.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014I went here with my parents but it's also a perfect date spot. Great atmosphere, food and service. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ALamVIPDined on 8/16/2014The House recently changed ownership/management, but they've retained just about the same great menu that I remember. The food is delicious and they didn't have a problem with us making a last-minute, late-night reservation. Definitely try the truffle mac and cheese! Thanks for the great meal!Special Features:
- terribleMarkVIPDined on 7/21/2014I had my anniversary dinner planned here weeks in advance. I called the restaurant the day before to confirm and then again 20 minutes prior to dinner actually starting. Turns out they were closed and didn't even bother to let us know. I had to scramble to find a suitable alternative and disappoint my wife on an important day. I wrote them an email and left plenty of voicemails as did my wife. Apparently they called her and offered a free round of drinks. Ehem, that's really, really cheap of them. I spoke with many friends about it. Apparently their food isn't even that great so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
- Restaurant is closedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/9/2014I was very disappointed when I arrived at the restaurant and it was closed for renovations. How was I able to make a reservation?
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Upon planning a whole night and traveling into the city from Long Island, we arrived during a rainstorm at the front door of The House to find the door locked. The lights were off and a small sign noted that it had been closed for renovations. News to me and my date. I can find nothing on the restaurants website, opentable or anywhere that the restaurant would be closed. Very disappointed
- Restaurant Was ClosedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2014I made a reservation on Open Table last week for the House and without any warning or message from either the restaurant or Open Table upon arrival found the restaurant completely closed. This is unacceptable. I will be cautious when using this service in the future, as well as cautious about frequenting this restaurant.
- Bad experienceKatienycVIPDined on 7/1/2014It was terrible because it was closed and I was not notified. We showed up for friend's birthday and the restaurant was closed. This is really unacceptable.
- The following 751 reviews are from the The House reviews archive.
- JudsonJudsonbkDined on 5/30/2014This was my second time there. Still trying to sit upstairs but I was happy I was able to even get a table since I was an hour late. Love the food and the server Josh has a great personality and is fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a romantic date spotAliceDined on 5/27/2014Service was very slow, food was sub par. When y ou walk in, the place smells like leftover beer. Not a romantic spot for a date, but not even a good place for food in general. Got the mac n cheese and it was so runny, I though they brought out the wrong dish. Save yourself the time and money. Pick another place.
- Lovely tunaJoJoDined on 5/11/2014We visited for brunch on our first day in NYC, having missed out on a table at our first choice. It was a lovely sunny day so we opted for an outside seat, which was lovely, if a bit dusty! I had the tuna (from the specials board) which although twice the price of the tuna on the main menu, was absolutely delicious. Mouth-wateringly good! The eggs benedict my partner ordered was okay, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Charming and quietJCardiffVIPDined on 5/8/2014The food is solid here, except for the mac and cheese with truffles which I find a little watery. I guess I just prefer a baked mac and cheese. Great vegetarian options here to with a vegetable panino and great faro with butternut squash dish at a recent lunch. The burger is great. I've never been upstairs -- only eating in the bar area which is charming and downstairs at a special dinner which was right off the kitchen. You really can hear your dinner companions here and that is so rare today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice venueDTravelerDined on 5/6/2014Nice building in nice location. Food very good. Entrees reasonably priced; appetizers and alcohol overpriced. (Deviled eggs were tasty, but $14 for four deviled egg halves?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unsuspected gemSandyVIPDined on 4/27/2014The lovely townhouse setting would suffice. Add skilled cuisine and a soundtrack of vintage blues, and the result is a superlative, memorable experience. We checked it out on a twofer -- will definitely return full-fare.Special Features:
- Good food but...ANNADined on 4/27/2014The staff is very accommodating, but and the Food was fantastic, however the service was really poor. We never got the bread, one of the appetizers was brought after the main dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENCE AT A REASONABLE PRICEJeffreyGLVIPDined on 4/26/2014I made my reservation for a special birthday based on Zagat recommendations and was not disappointed. Our waiter could not have been nicer, in a very genuine way. Room is quite comfortable and food is better than it has any right to be for the price. Setting is a lovely town house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhylccDined on 4/26/2014Great appetizer selection. Mushroom flatbread was a must. Had the scallops with butternut puree. Scallops were excellent, but puree was too soupy, needed a bit more substance to be able to enjoy. Friend had scallops as well and felt the same. Other friend had the chicken, loved it, thought it was a tad dry. Enjoyed the sundae for dessert, but the coffee was too strong for us. Service was fabulous. Love the atmosphere and architecture of the restaurant.Special Features:
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 4/19/2014We were charged 32 dollars for 4! Yes, four scallops!! The steak was small and overcooked. Salad was 14 dollars for basically two leaves of letuce, artfully arranged on the plate to create an illusion of volume. We filled up on bread Dont go there...you will leave hungry.
- Perfect AccidentFussyFoodieDined on 4/18/2014We decided to go to The House because we had some friends visiting the neighborhood. ..well we all figured if nothing else we would have a drink and casual dinner...well we had the best evening we ha e had in a long time. Beautiful atmosphere, wonderful Happy servers AND amazing food...This is worth a visit...Can't wait to go back...again and again! See you next Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedCWrightVIPDined on 4/15/2014The food was good, the service not as good. I expected more than just a bar, but it was fine for what it was. Prices a bit on the high side for what you got. Wine list needs improvement.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for our AnniversaryAlexDined on 4/12/2014Chose The House for our 1 year anniversary and couldn't have been happier. Great food, interesting menu and best of all was the ambiance. Very romantic and not too loud as some NYC restaurants can be. A little bit on the pricey side, but for a special occasion it was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014We went here for a friends surprise birthday dinner. She immediately fell in love with the ambience. The combination of relaxing jazz music and local neighbor friendliness was perfect. The food was delicious, the bartender made amazing drinks, and we left with full happy bellies. It was the perfect touch for such a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for celebrations!JennDined on 3/30/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. It was romantic and the food was fit for foodies. Can't wait to return! They brought out a special dessert for my wife and the drinks were perfectly made we had to have 3 of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiter was attentive andCityGalVIPDined on 3/30/2014The waiter was attentive and helpful, gave good recommendations. The trio of dips to start was flavorful and yummy! Needed more flatbread to go with it. Eggs Benedict were very good, I recommend the hollandaise sauce on the side. The atmosphere was lively, as other patrons were celebrating birthdays, taking pics and chatting. It's not the kind of place for a private, intimate meal, but it's not too noisy either. And the Sinatra tunes in the background were fun. Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingTravelerDined on 3/23/2014This is a nice restaurant and probably great for neighborhood people but my experience wasn't special. The music might be good for the vibe but was too loud for a romantic dinner. The food was fully priced and simply good. The staff was nice and professional but simply that-no personality to make you feel special-and that might be fine in a large restaurant but this one is small and intimate. I brought a European friend there and wished that I had picked something a little more special.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseKatieDDined on 3/23/2014The House, which we had thought might be a bit stuffy, was anything but. The hostess and waitstaff were gracious and attentive. Our meals were delicious, with perfectly sized portions. The atmosphere was formal, but the ambiance was relaxed. A great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Great for a special occasion -- the waitstaff was outstanding - super friendly & funny! The food was wonderful and the ambiance was super cute & cozy. Perfect intimate dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014great food but staff on their phones. music was great and service was too. it was a bit expensive, but the mac and cheese truffle is worth every penny. the knives are strangeSpecial Features:
- Meeting for WorkbillDined on 2/26/2014This place was great. Great hostess, great waiter as well. The seafood was amazing. I went for a client meeting and the setting could not be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.