Colt & Gray
1553 Platte Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Colt & Gray
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.coltandgray.com/
- Phone: 3034771447x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch Service: 10:00-2:00 Dinner Service 5:00- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nelson Perkins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Colt & Gray
Colt & Gray is a locally owned and operated neighborhood restaurant serving the highest quality food and drink in an elegant yet comfortable environment. We focus on high quality regional ingredients and specialize in nose-to-tail utilization. Colt & Gray is dedicated to creating a new category of neighborhood restaurant that maintains the classic attributes of warmth and affordability, while delivering superior food and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Colt & Gray reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (65)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (40)notable wine list (23)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Went here for Denver Restaurant Week. Everything on the menu was fantastic and service was quick. Recommend the Duck Confit. Loved the atmoshpere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Some of this might be because it was a Monday night during Restaurant Week when the place is normally closed. First we had cocktails and appetizers, and both were excellent. Dinner was a bit flat. They were out of fillet at the start of the evening (during the promotional Restaurant Week...huh?!) and the logical replacement of New York strip was a bit tough. The waiter joked with us about how good McDonalds French fries are, and I think the side of fries with the steak was literally no different than McDonalds fries...LOL. Jazz it up a bit...garlic, jalapeños, whatever. I'd go back to the bar for the funky and yummy cocktails, not sure for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!LillyDined on 8/24/2014I was impressed with the menu choices for restaurant week. It was so hard to choose; I wanted to try everything offered. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic, and the ambiance was wonderful. We talked about how perfect this place would be on a cold winter night with the fireplace and the intimate setting.Special Features:
- really tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food was very flavorful; restaurant week! The chowder was crazy delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone out to pastureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014We have gone to Colt and Gray several times since it opened. Each time is a slightly worse experience. The last trip was during 5280 summer restaurant week. The restaurant was not overly busy with a few unused tables. Our waitress was a no show at our table until we asked the water server for drinks on his third visit to the table (about 15-20 minutes after being seated). She failed to apologize for the delay or do much to inform us of the menu etc. The food was ok at best. Trout was miniscule; however, the table next to us had a reasonable portion size. We must have gotten the tail end as it was four bites. Duck con fit had been under the heat lamps long enough overcook and for the sauce to separate and develop a film.
- Delightful every time!WorldlyWinoDined on 8/23/2014It's always exciting to find a new restaurant to love, but unfortunately some places are hit and miss on their service and food quality visit to visit. This is not true about Colt & Gray. Every time I dine here I receive excellent service and the food is continuously outstanding! Keep up what you are doing, I will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster but not pretentious!CaryJDined on 8/15/2014We loved it! Opened with charcuterie that was approachable and then rocked the lamb. The Bartender made us a special rye drink that was killer! Overall great date night spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceNIle26Dined on 8/8/2014this is where to go for a dish that is made in a special way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Brunch:KatieDined on 8/3/2014Colt & Gray has a brunch menu online, they also have reservations available for brunch through OpenTable. What they don't have? Is an actual brunch. I made reservations a week in advance, showed up...doors were locked. Not sure if this is a mis-communication between C&G and OT or what? Pretty annoying. Was really excited to try, so make sure you check before going!!
- Colt GrayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Look at the menu and left, nothing looked good, very pricey. Patio too loud by highway. Server never came by. Keep looking
- Good for Foodies!WineKnowsDined on 7/27/2014For appitizers we had a selection of charcuterie and it was excellant. The coppa had a nice spice to it. For round two we had another taste off their appitizers list. My wife had the bone marrow which was one of the best we have ever had and I had the pig trotters which was very good as well. After that unfortunately we did not have room for another entree. Definately would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date placeZulu411Dined on 7/25/2014If you're looking for old classics, homestyle meat and potatoes, you'll want to find someplace else. However, if you're looking for a fun foodie adventure with a well crafted menu from a talented chef, this is a good option. They have some pretty solid paleo options, and definitely serve up some unique, complex dishes. Overall, we had a great time, enjoyed some truly artistic cuisine paired with good wine, and it didn't break the bank!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksFartinpublicDined on 7/18/2014The steaks were AMAZING. I had the NY and my wife had the filet- both prepared perfectly and had incredible flavor. Service was great and the appetizers were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; great service; Freezingckmd25VIPDined on 7/15/2014We really enjoyed the dining experience; the AC however wasn't quite as enjoyable But regardless, my food was delicious; I had the chicken dish which was presented nicely in a roasting pot and had great flavor and was very tender... my dining partner had the special - lamb ribs - which he said were very very very fatty... too fatty for him and he likes fatty things, so they must have been quite extreme... they did look like blubber on a bone, but perhaps this is what lamb ribs are supposed to look like? I can't speak for him, but my chicken was delicious. Our waitress was really really nice too and they brought out two amusements which were quite tasty - shaved watermelon and fried potatoes - separate of course. We will try againSpecial Features:
- Perfect farm to tablesusanatthecastleVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our 2nd visit. The pork special was melt in your mouth. The green salad had the most delicate slices of fried green tomatoes that made this salad one of the best I've ever had. The foie gras had the creamy texture one expects for this indulgence. The saffron panna cotta was the perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BernieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Nice to see trout on the menu in a Denver ResturantSpecial Features:
- Dinner outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Wanted to surprise my girlfriend with a nice night out after having to cancel plans earlier in the week. Colt and Gray more than made up for my lack of follow through. Great simple menu!! Be sure to ask what the day to day changes are, we were told about their pork special (pork belly) and it was delicious! Will definitely be going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, not great servicegabraffDined on 7/8/2014The food at Colt and Gray was UNREAL! I would 100% go back for the food. I do have to say, however, if you are under 25 you be ignored by your server for the older guests. This sort of thing bothers me so much because I am paying just as much as everyone else for delicious food and wine. The lamb was the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food even better bartendersRepeatDined on 7/8/2014Wondeful selection of food for all. If you want a cocktail definately let the bartender choice work their magic. If you jsut tell them what you like the will work their magic!Special Features:
- Awesome & Creative menuShiraznzeroDined on 7/5/2014Loved the seasonality and creativity of the menu. Food was awesome! Cocktails were great too, thought bit on the high side at $12ea. Our runner was better then our server. Much more outgoing and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful staffNongDined on 6/28/2014The staff at the restaurant were all nice and took very good care of all customers. We felt at home !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunter made our evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014We had a pleasant evening with tasty food. The meal was delicious and the busser did a great job of upholding our service expectations at a restaurant like this.Special Features:
- Nouveau CampfireSteveDined on 6/21/2014Interesting meats and cheeses in a rehabbed Denver neighborhood.
- Taste great, less fillingDatenighterDined on 6/21/2014So the food was very unique, tasted wonderful, and we really did fill up, but for the price and amount of food given, it wasn't worth it. The reason we got full was the meat and cheese plate in the beginning. The salad afterwards was tiny - hardly any asparagus in the "asparagus salad". There were "small plates," but we went with the entrees. There was plenty of meat on the meat dish, but I counted maybe 6 pasta pieces in the pasta dish. Sure would hate to see how small the small plates were! Gotta say the desserts were incredible, but by the time the final bill comes, ya gotta wonder if it was all worth it... Special occasion worthy, and you've got to try once I guess, but we probably won't be back.Special Features:
- DinnerhungryinDenverDined on 6/18/2014I went in on a weeknight. It was not too full. The staff was very accommodating on my late reservation. The hostess was some what unenthusiastic. She was tired or maybe just bored. We were shown to a booth that was in a corner and was a wooden bench. This was the biggest down fall of the whole evening. I could see tables that had very comfy looking chairs. The bench did not even have a cushion. I did not ask to move but throughout the dinner I became more and more uncomfortable in this seat. Our waiter took his time getting to us. My son ordered a drink and it had too strong of a ginger flavor, he didn't end up drinking it. Our orders were supposed to be coursed but came out at the same time. My lamb was undercooked. I expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIMPLY AMAZING!ChompyDined on 6/14/2014Thanks Colt and Grey for an excellent night. Our server Adam was fun and provided great insight on the menu! The food ...oh the food ..was so unbelievably good. The Marrow was divine and unctuous. The fois gras with the trio of jams superb. The charcuterie- best I've had. It was a perfect night of adventure for our mouths!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/20143 friends and I went on a Saturday early evening and found Colt & Gray to be a very nice surprise. We had the Charcuterie 5 selection and enjoyed each item very much. Each of the three meat selections were fresh and very flavorful and the cheese was outstanding. We also had the fioe gras (excellent) and the snail risotto which was about the best risotto we have ever tried. For entrees, we split the rabbit and the veggie dish and both were done to near perfection. Overall, one of the better dinning experiences I have had in Denver.Special Features:
- Charcuterie <3RoderickVIPDined on 6/4/2014Get the Ndjua and the brie. They have some of the best meats and cheeses in the state. Also, their french press coffee is incomparable. Just wonderful :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good FindJimboDined on 6/3/2014Colt & Gray is a great place to dine. I thought the menu was somewhat limited, but still several choices with a variety of meats/fish. The Colorado lamb was very tasty, but on the tough side. The waiter was helpful with a wine selection although he had to seek additional guidance. Our group selected only two entrees so we did not sample much from the menu. A very good place and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting a bit more...DenverCoupleDined on 5/30/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and I put that in the reservation information. We ended up at a tiny, cramped table in the middle of a walking area between the other seats and the bar. I felt like we were on display and it took away the romantic feeling. The food was good, but it could have been better - primarily the things that accompanied the meat. Clearly there is a great deal of attention paid to the meat, but what about the other elements that make a plate an actual meal? Other than that, the drinks were good and the service was good. We might return in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Went here for dinner on a Sunday night. The restaurant itself is gorgeous - lovely brick work, beautiful chairs and banquettes, big tables, a fireplace, huge mirrors on the walls and an impressive wine rack. The dining room had just a few tables so it was quiet and spacious. The food was amazing - we started with charcuterie and cheese, tried several appetizers and shared two entrees for four people because at that point we were stuffed. The crowning point was the cheesecake with salted caramel - served in an adorable mason jar, it could have been gimmicky but in fact was divine (we didn't eat dessert again for a week because we didn't think anything else could compare). Service could have been more attentive, but can't have everything.Special Features:
- TheJDizzoVIPDined on 5/25/2014Pros: Food was delicious. Ambiance was modern, chic, yet comfortable. Cons: Portions were small and overpriced for quantity. Though the restaurant was far from crowded, it seemed that our server forgot our presence at times; perhaps this was because more parties were seated outdoors, or that our corner booth was a tad secluded. Also, no butter/jam was served for the small piece of toast accompanying the brunch, nor did our server know the teas the restaurant served.
- DispleasedDJEtiquette1Dined on 5/24/2014I gave it a poor rating overall. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary with an early 5.15 dinner. The restuarant was empty. The host sat one couple in a private and quiet room and then sat us right next to them. It was absurd. Us and a couple of strangers essentially sharing a table. And I could probably understand if the restuarant was booked up but nobody else was seated in that room for the first 45min. Super awkward...you couldn't say a word without the other couple hearing you. If you are wondering why I didn't request a different table, believe me I wanted to. But how do you do that when you have already been seated? You had to be there...it was a hopeless situation. Other than that, our server and food was pretty goodSpecial Features:
- Superior meal and serviceUnrepentantFoodieVIPDined on 5/20/2014The food...wow...a pate dish three ways that could almost have been a dessert....lamb tartare that was more addictive than crack....the charcuterie had three good items for us, all pork based, and spendid pork rib. You can treat this spot like a tapas place, which is fantastic for a date night. A lively bar, but since it was a "school night" i left that alone and just had a damn good beer. Our server, Marnie, had the right blend of helpful, friendly, and attentive......a quiet Tueday in a scenic, simple bar. Worth it for special occasions, or for when your inner foodie demands attention. The only negative is that parking sucks , so hit the grocery store for $5.00, or the valet. But the food is worth it. Creative, nose to tail menu..yumSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerDinner4twoDined on 5/13/2014I am so happy that I chose to take my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner. The food was amazing! So different and so creative! Everything was extremely tasty! The drinks were wonderful. It was a great place to go and spend an hour or two together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service failed the food4friendssuzyDined on 5/10/2014*Seated in an over-lit overflow dining room *Service began strong, but became non-existent as soon as first course was delivered *Had to ask for water refills every time *Server refilled our wine glasses only once (we ordered 2 bottles) *Main course was the orecchiette which was still hard, egg white was snotty *The 4 of us shared all courses (there were 4) & server never brought clean plates or cutlery - we were eating off of our tiny bread plates *Server never asked us at each course how everything was. We had to call server over half way through main course to let him know about underdone pasta and snotty egg *Worse, when a 10 top was seated, we lost almost all service attention *WAY too expensive for Denny's service *Won't be back
- Excellent against Expectations!EricRVIPDined on 5/10/2014I'd heard about Colt & Gray from a co-worker and had been trying to get a reservation on a Saturday for weeks. My effort finally paid off and it did not disappoint! We made the experience e a three course affair starting with a charcuterie platter and ending with an entre. We skipped desert in favor of a 20yr old Pappy van Winkle bourbon. (Even more rare than a Saturday reservation! All exceeded expectations!Special Features:
- Blown Away!!!ominvoreDined on 5/9/2014Wow. I've been in Denver five years and finally made it to Colt and Gray. I will definitely be back often. I pretty much never write reviews unless I have something really nice to say. I am fairly particular when it comes to dining out and I will say that Colt and Gray knocked it out of the park. If you're a meat lover and want a top-notch meal, look no further. And when you're done, top it off with the sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:
- Definitely a FavoriteVictoriaLNDined on 5/9/2014Dinning at Colt and Gray is a wonderful experience. The cocktail menu is great. The food is outstanding, creative and always delicious. The marrow bone was spectacular. The Bavette of Beef is a must - spectacular. Must leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding -Special Features:
- Evening of JoyEnjoyDined on 5/8/2014I was pleased from being seated at our corner table. The ambiance was a quiet evening. The service was excellent both at our table and others that were there that evening. The food was fantastic. Not knowing what to expect it more that fulfilled our desires. The Potted Salted Caramel Cheesecake was decadent. Totally an evening of joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.