Colt & Gray
1553 Platte Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Colt & Gray
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.coltandgray.com/
- Phone: 3034771447x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch Service: 10:00-2:00 Dinner Service 5:00- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nelson Perkins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Colt & Gray
Colt & Gray is a locally owned and operated neighborhood restaurant serving the highest quality food and drink in an elegant yet comfortable environment. We focus on high quality regional ingredients and specialize in nose-to-tail utilization. Colt & Gray is dedicated to creating a new category of neighborhood restaurant that maintains the classic attributes of warmth and affordability, while delivering superior food and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Colt & Gray reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (66)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (30)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (22)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Different than ExpectedFoodFreakDined on 9/27/2014We ate at Colt & Gray Saturday evening 9/27/14 for our anniversary. The place got high marks in several reviews including 5280 Magazine so we decided to give it a try. The menu was eclectic and different than most. The main large plate choices were not overwhelming and there were some specials for the evening. Unfortunately, one of the specials we chose was no longer available so we settled on another dish after being disappointed. I chose the fresh trout and my wife had the lamb chop. Both were very good! Good wine chosen by sommelier too. The overall service was good but spotty...the tables are too close for private conversations. One of our fantastic desserts was complimentary along with champagne to celebrate the occasion...nice touch!Special Features:
- Nice but not spectacularfddlefootDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service although could have given more info. Food was nice but nothing spectacular would only go back for charcuterie.Special Features:
- Good food, lacking serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Overall, our experience was decent. The food was good but there were several miscues on the service side. Service was slow early and then rushed as the meal progressed. The tone was really set when other tables around us were offered an amuse bouche but we were not. Our waiter made an incredibly poor wine selection for us which was disappointing as he was the in house sommelier. Our waiter also spent an inordinate amount of time with a neighboring table that was fawning over his role as the sommelier. All of our dishes were unceremoniously dropped off with no explanation. It's unfortunate, the food is actually quite good but we probably won't return based on the poor service.Special Features:
- delicious! nice presentation!TickleDined on 9/16/2014Fantastic find! The food was delicious. The presentation was fine dining. And, the impeccable service. What a nice change of pace. Great find here in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mudheneatsDined on 9/13/2014If you call to reserve a table, make sure to tell them NOT to seat you in the back room. I was surprised that they seated me back there, given that I had made my reservation much earlier in the week. Having our table changed to the main dining room completed changed the experience. The food was lovely, service good, wine list a bit quirky...on the whole a nice evening out for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- enjoyed our night out!raredinneroutDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we're very happy with our choice! Waitress was awesome and very knowledgeable. Food was excellent definitely will go back.Special Features:
- FaboulusBiewelDined on 9/11/2014One of the best dinning experiences in a long time. Outstanding service by Marnie (spelling?). Nicely thought out menu, food expertly prepared. Very esoteric wine list but Sommelier will give you good advise. Overall reasonably priced menu and wine list. Hudson Duck Breast was divine!! Large, well selected bar list. Highly recommended!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic DinnerChallengesVIPDined on 9/9/2014We took our boss out for her birthday. The dinner was nothing but the best. Food was top notch. Service was impeccable. Loved everything about the dining experience. This isn't a place to pop in grab a bite and leave. It's an evening experience. Party of 4 with a charcuterie, apps, entrees, deserts, along with cocktails & 3 bottles of wine take most of the evening. This is the main event. Some of the best food I have ever had! It was such a nice touch to have the palate cleansers in between courses. Much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerwineemdineemDined on 8/30/2014service was a little slow when we first arrived, but overall it was fine. the appetizers, entrees and desserts were delicious. the house cocktails were really good too. great spot for a quiet, romantic-ish dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Was hoping for a good repeat experience from the year before but a lot of issues. Burratta salads came out and were creamy and delicious. We sat for 40 minutes after that with no food....server just forgot to put in. We finally got our duck breast and it was totally rare instead of the medium. When the dinner finally made it out an hour after salad.....my dinner was missing. He forgot to put that order in as well. The service was just awful and with mediocre food, this will be our last trip. There are way too many great restaurants in Denver to settle. They did take some things off the bill so gave them an extra star for that.Special Features:
- Nothing outrageousjclockwoodDined on 8/29/2014I wanted to try C&G and restaurant week seemed like a perfect opportunity. While the food was certainly notable, I feel like the staff phoned the whole thing in. Even by restaurant week standards, I felt pushed aside, ignored and like I was inconveniencing my waitress by simply asking for a bottle of wine with dinner (which somehow took over 15 minutes to come around). All in all, I doubt I would make the effort to come back, since they clearly made it evident their time is best spent elsewhere. If I am going to spend upwards of $160+ for two people during restaurant week, I would prefer at least SOME semblance of service, or gratitude, to go with my luke-warm soup and contemptuous attitude from your staff...Special Features:
- Good food trumped by serviceControlroomlevelDined on 8/29/2014The duck was amazing, foie gras was good, but the service was not. They usually have a vegetarian chefs selection that the chef makes to accommodate vegetarians, one of which we had in our group, but we were told that the chef "didn't have anything prepared." That was bad enough, a chef should always be able to accommodate vegetarian guests, but to make it worse, they were doing a 3 course restaurant week menu special and one of the starters was a sprin salad. Well, that was the only salad on the menu and they wouldn't sell it à la carte. I mean understand that you don't usually break up the special menu into à la carte items but this is sort of a special situation. Bottom line, good but dining takes two hours and don't bring a vegetarian.Special Features:
- CliffVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was not pleased with the menu during restaurant week. I had the trout and was not happy with it. It was very bland and the corn dish it rested on was not good. Also, the restaurant was cold. One woman was wearing a coat to stay warm.
- Perfect for an adult dinnerRhallerDined on 8/27/2014The food was amazing and the wine perfect. Wednesday was 30% off bottles of wine..excellent. And our waiter recommended exactly what I was aking for. We started with meat and cheese selection. They brought out more bread when we ran out without having to ask. My husband and I chose off the restaurant week menu and each dish was excellent. My parents ordered the porterhouse which was huge and perfectly cooked at medium rare. I was so impressed with the service and the food.Special Features:
- trentonreedDined on 8/27/2014Food was great, cocktail (Comb the Desert) was amazing, service (host, bus, expo, and server) were all incredibly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Clean Fine DiningNoelRainDined on 8/26/2014Colt and Gray was a great restaurant. . The atmosphere is clean white with notes of rustic flare. We enjoyed the restaurant week menu along with a few drinks and a charcuterie plate. We had to wait to be sat an extra 30 minutes after our reservation, but I assume this was mostly due to restaurant week, and not typical. All in all, it was a great dinner, with quality food- my duck confit was perfect! The most impressive part of the meal were our drinks and the overall bar program. Their beer and wine selection was tops, and they had superior cocktails that impressed. I had basically a fancy whiskey sour infused with the perfect way to end the night. Kudos to the bartender and bar manager/sommelier.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Don't go for Denver restaurant week. We waited for 45 minutes for our reservation. The server was unapologetic and rushed.Special Features:
- Great hot spotbeergeekDined on 8/26/2014Went here for Denver Restaurant Week. Everything on the menu was fantastic and service was quick. Recommend the Duck Confit. Loved the atmoshpere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagJeffinWestyDined on 8/25/2014Some of this might be because it was a Monday night during Restaurant Week when the place is normally closed. First we had cocktails and appetizers, and both were excellent. Dinner was a bit flat. They were out of fillet at the start of the evening (during the promotional Restaurant Week...huh?!) and the logical replacement of New York strip was a bit tough. The waiter joked with us about how good McDonalds French fries are, and I think the side of fries with the steak was literally no different than McDonalds fries...LOL. Jazz it up a bit...garlic, jalapeños, whatever. I'd go back to the bar for the funky and yummy cocktails, not sure for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!LillyDined on 8/24/2014I was impressed with the menu choices for restaurant week. It was so hard to choose; I wanted to try everything offered. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic, and the ambiance was wonderful. We talked about how perfect this place would be on a cold winter night with the fireplace and the intimate setting.Special Features:
- really tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food was very flavorful; restaurant week! The chowder was crazy delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone out to pastureDenverREDined on 8/23/2014We have gone to Colt and Gray several times since it opened. Each time is a slightly worse experience. The last trip was during 5280 summer restaurant week. The restaurant was not overly busy with a few unused tables. Our waitress was a no show at our table until we asked the water server for drinks on his third visit to the table (about 15-20 minutes after being seated). She failed to apologize for the delay or do much to inform us of the menu etc. The food was ok at best. Trout was miniscule; however, the table next to us had a reasonable portion size. We must have gotten the tail end as it was four bites. Duck con fit had been under the heat lamps long enough overcook and for the sauce to separate and develop a film.
- Delightful every time!WorldlyWinoDined on 8/23/2014It's always exciting to find a new restaurant to love, but unfortunately some places are hit and miss on their service and food quality visit to visit. This is not true about Colt & Gray. Every time I dine here I receive excellent service and the food is continuously outstanding! Keep up what you are doing, I will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster but not pretentious!CaryJDined on 8/15/2014We loved it! Opened with charcuterie that was approachable and then rocked the lamb. The Bartender made us a special rye drink that was killer! Overall great date night spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceNIle26Dined on 8/8/2014this is where to go for a dish that is made in a special way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Brunch:KatieDined on 8/3/2014Colt & Gray has a brunch menu online, they also have reservations available for brunch through OpenTable. What they don't have? Is an actual brunch. I made reservations a week in advance, showed up...doors were locked. Not sure if this is a mis-communication between C&G and OT or what? Pretty annoying. Was really excited to try, so make sure you check before going!!
- Colt GrayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Look at the menu and left, nothing looked good, very pricey. Patio too loud by highway. Server never came by. Keep looking
- Good for Foodies!WineKnowsDined on 7/27/2014For appitizers we had a selection of charcuterie and it was excellant. The coppa had a nice spice to it. For round two we had another taste off their appitizers list. My wife had the bone marrow which was one of the best we have ever had and I had the pig trotters which was very good as well. After that unfortunately we did not have room for another entree. Definately would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date placeZulu411Dined on 7/25/2014If you're looking for old classics, homestyle meat and potatoes, you'll want to find someplace else. However, if you're looking for a fun foodie adventure with a well crafted menu from a talented chef, this is a good option. They have some pretty solid paleo options, and definitely serve up some unique, complex dishes. Overall, we had a great time, enjoyed some truly artistic cuisine paired with good wine, and it didn't break the bank!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksFartinpublicDined on 7/18/2014The steaks were AMAZING. I had the NY and my wife had the filet- both prepared perfectly and had incredible flavor. Service was great and the appetizers were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; great service; Freezingckmd25VIPDined on 7/15/2014We really enjoyed the dining experience; the AC however wasn't quite as enjoyable But regardless, my food was delicious; I had the chicken dish which was presented nicely in a roasting pot and had great flavor and was very tender... my dining partner had the special - lamb ribs - which he said were very very very fatty... too fatty for him and he likes fatty things, so they must have been quite extreme... they did look like blubber on a bone, but perhaps this is what lamb ribs are supposed to look like? I can't speak for him, but my chicken was delicious. Our waitress was really really nice too and they brought out two amusements which were quite tasty - shaved watermelon and fried potatoes - separate of course. We will try againSpecial Features:
- Perfect farm to tablesusanatthecastleVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our 2nd visit. The pork special was melt in your mouth. The green salad had the most delicate slices of fried green tomatoes that made this salad one of the best I've ever had. The foie gras had the creamy texture one expects for this indulgence. The saffron panna cotta was the perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BernieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Nice to see trout on the menu in a Denver ResturantSpecial Features:
- Dinner outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Wanted to surprise my girlfriend with a nice night out after having to cancel plans earlier in the week. Colt and Gray more than made up for my lack of follow through. Great simple menu!! Be sure to ask what the day to day changes are, we were told about their pork special (pork belly) and it was delicious! Will definitely be going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, not great servicegabraffDined on 7/8/2014The food at Colt and Gray was UNREAL! I would 100% go back for the food. I do have to say, however, if you are under 25 you be ignored by your server for the older guests. This sort of thing bothers me so much because I am paying just as much as everyone else for delicious food and wine. The lamb was the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food even better bartendersRepeatDined on 7/8/2014Wondeful selection of food for all. If you want a cocktail definately let the bartender choice work their magic. If you jsut tell them what you like the will work their magic!Special Features:
- Awesome & Creative menuShiraznzeroDined on 7/5/2014Loved the seasonality and creativity of the menu. Food was awesome! Cocktails were great too, thought bit on the high side at $12ea. Our runner was better then our server. Much more outgoing and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful staffNongDined on 6/28/2014The staff at the restaurant were all nice and took very good care of all customers. We felt at home !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunter made our evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014We had a pleasant evening with tasty food. The meal was delicious and the busser did a great job of upholding our service expectations at a restaurant like this.Special Features:
- Nouveau CampfireSteveDined on 6/21/2014Interesting meats and cheeses in a rehabbed Denver neighborhood.