Colt & Gray
1553 Platte Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Colt & Gray
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.coltandgray.com/
- Phone: (303) 477-1447
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch Service: 10:00-2:00 Dinner Service 5:00- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nelson Perkins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Colt & Gray
Colt & Gray is a locally owned and operated neighborhood restaurant serving the highest quality food and drink in an elegant yet comfortable environment. We focus on high quality regional ingredients and specialize in nose-to-tail utilization. Colt & Gray is dedicated to creating a new category of neighborhood restaurant that maintains the classic attributes of warmth and affordability, while delivering superior food and service.Continued
Reservations made on this site are strictly for Colt & Gray not for Ste Ellie.
Reservations made on this site are strictly for Colt & Gray not for Ste Ellie.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Colt & Gray - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Colt & Gray reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (77)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (38)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (30)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice way to end a long day.terrypVIPDined on 11/19/2014In town for business and took some colleagues here to unwind. Fantastic charcuterie and cheese board, followed by excellent small plates and a lamb dish that had one guest swooning. We lucked into a 30 percent discount on all wines and had a really nice Willamette Valley pinot noir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014Great for a romantic night out with your significant other, or for a fun night out with a few friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing spot for engagement dinnerJoePDined on 11/12/2014My fiancé and I came here the night we got engaged! The food was incredible, with excellent service and staff. Delicious small plates with a solid wine list. I love the rotating cocktail themes! Will definitely be coming back hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?CGDenverVIPDined on 11/8/2014Colt & Gray used to be so great! Our visit on November 8 was so disappointing. Service was SLOW. We sat down at 8:30 with a party of 10 on not a particularly crowded night and were not served our meal until 10:30. When our food finally arrived, it was cold. We let management know and they gave us 10% off our bill, which was appreciated, but not enough for me to return. Sad that this restaurant is off the list now because it was a favorite.
- ExcellentdoliphantDined on 11/8/2014Excellent food and great engaging service! The recommendations were on point and all courses were fantastic. We were in town from Chicago and would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much moreFoodie11213Dined on 11/8/2014We have been considering going to Colt & Gray for two years and kept pushing it off for some reason or another. We went this past Saturday and are so upset it took us this long to go. The ambiance is fabulous, the decor is spot on, the service was unmatched from the hostess to the bus boys to the server and the food and drink, just wow. We were given great recommendations all night and they were also very accommodating to my gluten allergy. My husband and I literally talked about our meals for two days following our visit. The lamb and the duck leg were what dreams are made of. All I can say is go now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a five but could be.OutnaboutVIPDined on 11/8/2014This place has it all. A good loction, fantastic menu and great service. For starters we tried the Oysters and the Marrow Bones. We're picky about our oysters, they were from the Washington cost and tasted great. We also tried the Marrow Bones. Different but very good. For dinner we had the duck leg and the duck breast. The presentation and flavor were fantastic. The food was served a little cool for a five star rating. There was also several mistakes with the service. We ordered a glass of Presecco to be served with our appetizers. They brought it out so soon that it was flat by the time the food arrived. Since we just had a sip they brought us a fresh glass at no charge. Check this place out if you like inventive chefs at a fair price.Special Features:
- Great dinnerElyseUUVIPDined on 11/7/2014There were four of us for dinner and we enjoyed it all. Best dessert was sticky toffee pudding!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantKooJillaDined on 11/7/2014We were blown away by the food here. Very well done, great twists on food we haven't seen in awhile. Very upscale yet relaxing and inviting. We will be going back for sure!Special Features:
- quiet eleganceelmoVIPDined on 11/7/2014Colt and Gray is hitting on all cylanders. Ask for Denver's best waiter (Adam) and let him guide you through the repast--always great oysters, cheeses and charcuterie, best chicken in town, quiet ambiance, the best an upscale gastropub can offer.Special Features:
- Very yummyBC3LadyDined on 11/7/2014I thought the food was extremely good. Two of the dishes were outstanding and the other two were good, just not great. Our server was fantastic, knew the menu well and answered our questions. We were disappointed in one of the wine choices (the sommelier's pick based on what kind of wines we told him we liked). We picked the 2nd wine on our own and liked it much better. This is not an inexpensive restaurant so if you are not a big carnivore, this might not be the best place for you.Special Features:
- Perfect from start to finishElizaVIPDined on 11/1/2014Everyone loved our dishes. Fantastic food. But we can't say enough good things about the service. Marnie was amazing, as was the manager. Thanks for a perfect late-night dinner.Special Features:
- CharcuteriejaphyjonesDined on 10/30/2014Great selection of charcuterie... The rabbit rillete and the porchetta stood out and the addition of trout mousse was a nice add on. Nice presentation. Mains were solid duck stuffed with Foie could have been over the top but was nicely balanced all the way around. Wish they would have split the marrow bones. Overall a nice place with solid food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Enjoyed the Variety!HoneyMoonersDined on 10/30/2014We tried Colt & Gray for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed our time together, the food, wine and atmosphere! We tried several small plates and shared a large dish (spinach pasta of sorts). It was all terrific...even the "Trotters". We will be back again...for sure!Special Features:
- Great Carnivore experiencerichmantDined on 10/26/2014This is a great place for meat lovers, yet it has vegetarian choices as well. The Cassoulet was outstanding with very tender pork, great house made sausage and very tender beans.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014I had been recommended a number of times and had friends that had a fantastic food experience. Sadly, my experience ended quickly. It took over 15 minutes to be noticed by the server....when she did arrive she "recited" the specials , and other recommendations...and when I asked her to bring the beverages and we can hear later...she kept talking....her presence was so stiff...we decided to order a quick Charcuterie App and Risotto....we called an evening ...had a Burger at My Bros. Bar ..which was a much happier experience!
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Food and service was good, not great. Unfortunately the prices don't reflect this.
- Adam is a great waiter!FitforFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant is tastefully decorated, and the service was exceptional. The food was great, too. Our reservations were for 5:00 and, as a result there were only two other couples in the restaurant. During the course of our meal, however, other couples were seated and it became more and more difficult to hear my husband. Shortly, the voice of a woman three tables away dominated the room. This is a restaurant to which we will certainly return, but not during busy hours when the noise level would be intolerable.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 10/24/2014Went here for a birthday day with family visiting from CA since it is always reliably great meal.....did not let us down...meal was amazing!!! Did not have a main entree because we tried alll the small plates and could not have eaten an entree even if I wanted too. The small plates were perfect for a party of 4 so everyone got to try the dish. Each dish was soo flavorful and beautifully prepared. C&G still remains our old faithful. The menu changes but the experience always remains the same. Outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Customer Service?Top25Dined on 10/24/2014So disappointing. Went for my husband's birthday, waiter was not interactive at all. Top 25 in Denver? Food was good but we have so many awesome restaurants that I would think the customer service would be exceptional. Mentioned husband's birthday in reservation notes and no recognition at all. 😞
- Great food awful serviceAlexisDined on 10/17/2014My boyfriend and I are at Colt and Gray for a date night and were really excited based on other reviews. I will say the food was delicious and reasonably priced for the type of restaurant. However, we had an awful experience with our waiter. He was took forever just to offer is drinks then took a very long time to bring or drinks and even ask of we wanted appetizers. He didn't bother to ask how I wanted my steak and which sauce I wanted since there was an option. After we finished eating he just dropped two dessert menus on our table without saying a word to us. He was extremely rude and it unfortunately really altered our view of the restaurant and skewed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, spotty serviceBEatsDined on 10/15/2014Brought some clients here and the food and wine was excellent, but midway through dinner service became spotty with no water refills or clearing of finished plates. Not good for a mid-week dining experience. The food would bring me back for another try.Special Features:
- Not What I Expected but OKSimpleDenverLadyDined on 10/14/2014Having heard great things from friends, I went in thinking it was a steakhouse. Not the case, cured meats which is fine but not what I expected. It was a special occasion birthday and fit the bill from ambiance but it was just OK - the food, drinks everything. To be honest, we will probably never go back and only went due to a gift certificate.Special Features:
- What a treat!FiddleheadDined on 10/9/2014We're visiting from the East Coast and were seeking a nice meal. EVERYTHING was great. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. Our waitress was great and went over the menu in great detail with helpful suggestions for us newbies. Had the Colorado lamb entree. Fantastic. Every item on the dish, greens, sauce, well everything was outstanding. One of the best meals I have had in years. Bravo.Special Features:
- lexilexiDined on 10/4/2014The Charcuterie choices were delightful, my favorite the Lonza. The Sweet corn and crab fritters were tasty, crunchy and I could have eaten many more of them! We had two dinners enters that were the specials for the evening and both were presented beautifully, prepared and seasoned to perfection. I had the lamb shanks prepared with a crisp outside and melt in your mouth meat inside. Wonderful restaurant with great service. I hope to visit again very soon.Special Features:
- Solid food and great servicequeenjaminDined on 10/3/2014First time coming to Colt and Gray, and I was pleased that my expectations were met. The food was very solid, not too heavy, and everything was cooked exactly how we'd ordered it. The service was fantastic, if you can, get Vanessa as your server. She was attentive without being overbearing, and she was very knowledgable for all of our questions. Definitely a good spot if you're looking for really tasty food, with solid ambiance, and could definitely be romantic if that's what you're looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different than ExpectedFoodFreakDined on 9/27/2014We ate at Colt & Gray Saturday evening 9/27/14 for our anniversary. The place got high marks in several reviews including 5280 Magazine so we decided to give it a try. The menu was eclectic and different than most. The main large plate choices were not overwhelming and there were some specials for the evening. Unfortunately, one of the specials we chose was no longer available so we settled on another dish after being disappointed. I chose the fresh trout and my wife had the lamb chop. Both were very good! Good wine chosen by sommelier too. The overall service was good but spotty...the tables are too close for private conversations. One of our fantastic desserts was complimentary along with champagne to celebrate the occasion...nice touch!Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceStephieNDined on 9/27/2014We chose Colt and Gray for an anniversary/birthday dinner on Saturday 9/27. Our server was attentive enough, however, the delay in between courses was unusually long. Our appetizer came out in a reasonable fashion but everything after that was at least 35 minutes later. We were there for a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. The restaurant was by no means busy which was curious for a Saturday evening. The entrees were delicious....pork shank and duck breast and the portions were sufficient. The Sticky Toffee Pudding was delightful and I will give the restaurant another chance in the future.Special Features:
- Nice but not spectacularfddlefootDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service although could have given more info. Food was nice but nothing spectacular would only go back for charcuterie.Special Features:
- Good food, lacking serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Overall, our experience was decent. The food was good but there were several miscues on the service side. Service was slow early and then rushed as the meal progressed. The tone was really set when other tables around us were offered an amuse bouche but we were not. Our waiter made an incredibly poor wine selection for us which was disappointing as he was the in house sommelier. Our waiter also spent an inordinate amount of time with a neighboring table that was fawning over his role as the sommelier. All of our dishes were unceremoniously dropped off with no explanation. It's unfortunate, the food is actually quite good but we probably won't return based on the poor service.Special Features:
- delicious! nice presentation!TickleDined on 9/16/2014Fantastic find! The food was delicious. The presentation was fine dining. And, the impeccable service. What a nice change of pace. Great find here in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mudheneatsDined on 9/13/2014If you call to reserve a table, make sure to tell them NOT to seat you in the back room. I was surprised that they seated me back there, given that I had made my reservation much earlier in the week. Having our table changed to the main dining room completed changed the experience. The food was lovely, service good, wine list a bit quirky...on the whole a nice evening out for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- enjoyed our night out!raredinneroutDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we're very happy with our choice! Waitress was awesome and very knowledgeable. Food was excellent definitely will go back.Special Features:
- FaboulusBiewelDined on 9/11/2014One of the best dinning experiences in a long time. Outstanding service by Marnie (spelling?). Nicely thought out menu, food expertly prepared. Very esoteric wine list but Sommelier will give you good advise. Overall reasonably priced menu and wine list. Hudson Duck Breast was divine!! Large, well selected bar list. Highly recommended!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic DinnerChallengesVIPDined on 9/9/2014We took our boss out for her birthday. The dinner was nothing but the best. Food was top notch. Service was impeccable. Loved everything about the dining experience. This isn't a place to pop in grab a bite and leave. It's an evening experience. Party of 4 with a charcuterie, apps, entrees, deserts, along with cocktails & 3 bottles of wine take most of the evening. This is the main event. Some of the best food I have ever had! It was such a nice touch to have the palate cleansers in between courses. Much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerwineemdineemDined on 8/30/2014service was a little slow when we first arrived, but overall it was fine. the appetizers, entrees and desserts were delicious. the house cocktails were really good too. great spot for a quiet, romantic-ish dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Was hoping for a good repeat experience from the year before but a lot of issues. Burratta salads came out and were creamy and delicious. We sat for 40 minutes after that with no food....server just forgot to put in. We finally got our duck breast and it was totally rare instead of the medium. When the dinner finally made it out an hour after salad.....my dinner was missing. He forgot to put that order in as well. The service was just awful and with mediocre food, this will be our last trip. There are way too many great restaurants in Denver to settle. They did take some things off the bill so gave them an extra star for that.Special Features:
- Nothing outrageousjclockwoodDined on 8/29/2014I wanted to try C&G and restaurant week seemed like a perfect opportunity. While the food was certainly notable, I feel like the staff phoned the whole thing in. Even by restaurant week standards, I felt pushed aside, ignored and like I was inconveniencing my waitress by simply asking for a bottle of wine with dinner (which somehow took over 15 minutes to come around). All in all, I doubt I would make the effort to come back, since they clearly made it evident their time is best spent elsewhere. If I am going to spend upwards of $160+ for two people during restaurant week, I would prefer at least SOME semblance of service, or gratitude, to go with my luke-warm soup and contemptuous attitude from your staff...Special Features:
- Good food trumped by serviceControlroomlevelDined on 8/29/2014The duck was amazing, foie gras was good, but the service was not. They usually have a vegetarian chefs selection that the chef makes to accommodate vegetarians, one of which we had in our group, but we were told that the chef "didn't have anything prepared." That was bad enough, a chef should always be able to accommodate vegetarian guests, but to make it worse, they were doing a 3 course restaurant week menu special and one of the starters was a sprin salad. Well, that was the only salad on the menu and they wouldn't sell it à la carte. I mean understand that you don't usually break up the special menu into à la carte items but this is sort of a special situation. Bottom line, good but dining takes two hours and don't bring a vegetarian.Special Features:
- CliffVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was not pleased with the menu during restaurant week. I had the trout and was not happy with it. It was very bland and the corn dish it rested on was not good. Also, the restaurant was cold. One woman was wearing a coat to stay warm.