414 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.colosseosf.com/
- Phone: 415-398-1300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Maria Navigato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering available.
- Private Party Facilities: Our outdoor patio can accommodate up to 49 people and is equipped with umbrellas, heaters, cypress trees, gazebos and plants for North Beach's most charming al fresco dining.
- Private Party Contact: Filomena Florese 415-794-5805x
- Entertainment: Call for our opera-singers' schedule.
- Special Events: Let us host your special event! Corporate Events, Weddings, Rehearsal dinners, Graduation parties, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Baby Showers, Baptisms, etc. Book our private outdoor patio. The restaurant is also available for a buy-out!
- Cross Street: Vallejo
- Public Transit: Muni stop on same block. Less than 5 minute taxi ride from Montgomery Street BART station. Passenger drop off white zone in front.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available. Various parking lots nearby, some as close as 1 block away, all at affordable prices. Closest parking lot is on Vallejo Street.
A word from Colosseo
The historic Colosseo is owned and operated by the Florese family from Calabria, Italy. The extensive menu features fresh ingredients and homemade pastas made for 3 decades in the Florese family tradition including authentic seafood, meat, risotto and dessert. A winner of multiple awards over the years including #1 Ravioli at the Noodle Festival, Colosseo's diners include a who's who of San Francisco's entertainers, athletes and politicians. Colosseo is THE spot for viewing soccer and other sports on their big screen and TV. Boasting North Beach's largest outdoor patio (seats 49), Colosseo is a great place for a special event. Sidewalk seating provides great people-watching. The extensive beer and wine list includes imports and a local selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Colosseo reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Good food, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Seated us quickly even though we arrived early. Location of seating was "add on" space that might have been the alley. Not great ambiance. Food was good; not spectacular. Portions size seemed small. Veggies were very good. The biggest issue was what appeared to be a lack of staff to handle the crowd on a Saturday night. Probably won't go there again on next trip to SF. Will try a new Italian restaurant.
- Great experiencemillercDined on 10/4/2014We had a group of 22 from out-of-town gathered to celebrate a birthday. Colosseo was flexible on our numbers; they gave us the patio, great service and very good food! Our waiter sang opera in Italian to our guest with the birthday. So fun! We felt like we had our own dining room and wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colossal experiencedineCAcolorDined on 8/30/2014Our group of 12 was pampered upon our arrival. Our waiter was friendly and attentive...he even performed an amazing Italian opera piece. Fine northern Italian fare in a nice environment. Won't disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, awful serviceLkbuxDined on 8/17/2014The food was quite good. The service ruined the experience though. Not only were they slow, but the timing of the service was such that some of us were done with our meals before others were even served. I would not go back.
- Other resturants could take lessonsNewToSFDined on 8/5/2014We had a large group of 12. We were able to place reservations on line, which most restuarants don't allow for this size group. The table was set up, we were seated on time, the waiter was prompt/attentive, the food was very good and the prices were reasonable. What else can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal with friendsshortiDined on 8/2/2014The staff is so friendly here and attentive. We started with the burrata con prosciutto, both loves of my life married together. It was a great start to the meal, then I got the seafood linguini. Oh man, wish I had more bread to soak up the sauce in it.Special Features:
- Great meal, cool placeacm89Dined on 7/27/2014We had a delicious anniversary dinner at Colosseo. Our waiter was very friendly, although the staff seemed a bit rushed/overwhelmed. The paintings on the wall in the restaurant make for a very unique and cool atmosphere. Overall, we are very glad we went theSpecial Features:
- OnTheRoadAgainDined on 6/29/2014Finally, I found a carbonara that is comparable to what I have eaten in Italia. Pasta perfectly cooked with a cheesy sauce with pancetta. I mentioned to Troy that it was my husband's birthday and he serenaded him with what he described as a drinking song in Italian. He has an incredible voice. Thank you again Troy for making this a memorable birthday experience. I highly recommend dining at Colosseo the next time you visit San Francisco.Special Features:
- The following 77 reviews are from the Colosseo reviews archive.
- nmsnms1025Dined on 6/20/2014Colosseo is a total tourist trap. We ordered food for a big group and multiple dishes were of poor quality. The bruschetta was their only saving grace, but it was down hill from there.
- Hit or MissJimmyDined on 5/29/2014We have dined at Colloseo four times. This restaurant truly is a hit or miss. Sometimes it is great and sometimes it is below mediocre. It is hard to figure out. Our last experience was not that good food-wise. Service is always great, but the food was blah this time. The Oso Buco was prepared differently. The pasta was not that great. The lasagna was pretty ordinary. We will probably still go, but beware that it might not be the San Francisco dining experience you are looking for.Special Features:
- Graduation dinner for 20gradnightDined on 5/24/2014The staff at Colosseo were very accommodating. We were celebrating our family's newest college graduate. Everything was perfect - from the seating for 20 (including a baby in a high chair) to the food. We brought our own cake and we were not charged an extra fee. The prices are reasonable, the food is good. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone in the mood for Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice North Beach gem.adventurousDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I stayed in North Beach this time while visiting San Francisco. Loved this part of town, so many restaurants to choose from. Our innkeeper recommended Colosseo for one of our dinners out. The brushetta was excellent as was the fried calamari. Our waiter, although, I didn't catch his name, was not only outstanding in his attention but was quite the funny fellow as well. Just overall, a very nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find for a localAnonDined on 4/7/2014Usually avoid North Beach like the plague, but this place won us over. Mostly because they have a really well-kept secret - a lovely back patio that was quiet and cool on a very warm night. Food was good - about what you expect but with slightly lower prices than most. Didn't really strike us as a tourist trap - good service, actual Italians in the restaurant eating, and decent portions. Four of us split a lovely burrata appetizer, two pasta dishes, and a pizza, and it was just enough. Dishes aren't really large enough to split, but we'd ordered enough to see us through, and would definitely go again. Ask to sit out back, have a nice glass of wine, and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Southern Italian FoodFrankGDined on 4/7/2014This was a real find for me in San Francisco. The food is southern Italian cuisine form the Calabria region of Italy. The owner and his wife are form Italy and they prepare the food form old family recipes. Everything was fresh, served hot, and had very distinctive flavors of old world Italian. The wine list was also very good as well. They are also very accomodating to make special plates. I highly recommend Colosseo. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashJimmyDined on 4/4/2014We had a group of 8 for a 51st birthday. It was a great event. The food was excellent. The wine flowed smoothly. The service was very good. It was a really nice dining experience. There was not a huge throng of people there, so it made it a bit more intimate. Everyone in our group raved about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice late lunch for 6OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014A very enjoyable late lunch prior to BBB. The service was slightly on the slow side, but very friendly. We weren't in a hurry so it didn't really matter. We each tried something different, and all of us enjoyed our meals. I would definitely return and try the pizza next time - it looked yummy!Special Features:
- Good food and people watchingninav364Dined on 2/16/2014Caesar salad is huge, so we shared it. It's well balanced and evenly tossed. Pollo Saltimbocca was tender, deliciousand had just right amount of sauce, plus steamed veggies. Vitello alla Pizzaiola was also light on sauce (tomato) and very soft meat (three pieces). The service was very good from the very beginning to the moment we ordered a desert - Flute Limoncello which is supposed to be frozen and ready to be served from the freezer. Our waiter disappeared for 15-20 min, and all our attempts to get attention of the restaurant manager (owner?) did not help. Eventually, we received our ice cream in a flute, but it did not taste good enough to forget the wait. Anyway, we'd recommend this place b/c of the rich menu and quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we orderedApenny17Dined on 2/8/2014Definitely did NOT like the feel. Every other restaurant was packed, except this one! (Usually a bad sign! And next time I will run.) We started with ordering Chardonnay and did not receive that! Don't go there!!! Go next door to Calzone's
- Tasty but still hungryJannineDined on 1/3/2014We enjoyed the meal at Colosseo but left feeling not quite satisfied with the portion size. We shared an appetizers, enjoyed flavorful main dishes (Veal Saltimbocca, Chicken Parmasean & Lobster ravioli) and had dessert. Although delicious, when we were finished we headed across the street for coffee and Gelato afterwards.Special Features:
- New Years DinnerLeslieDined on 12/31/2013We had NYE Dinner at Colosseo. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. I had the Chicken Saltimbocca, it was just okay. The sauce was excellent. My brother has the spaghetti and home made meatballs. He really liked the meatballs! The tiramisu was frozen in the center. The atmosphere was beautiful and very sidewalk cafe type of feel.Special Features:
- Great food, wonderful servicekesfrmptownDined on 11/29/2013I took my out of town family here (party of 10) and we were treated so well. In addition to that, we are Italian and loved to food!! I'll make this a frequent stop whether I have visitors in from out of town or not!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lecker Thanksgiving MenueThanksgiving2013Dined on 11/28/2013Waren zu Thanksgiving in SF und haben das Menue bestellt. ImGrossen und Ganzen gut. Preis war ok und der Wein im zweiten Anlauf gut.Special Features:
- So-SoKimiDined on 11/23/2013Went for dinner Saturday night, not great, salad came out quickly, but entrees took over an hour, and all four entrees were not very good, bland! We went to this restaurant a few years ago for lunch and it was much better then!Special Features:
- We had reservations at 7 pmMitchDined on 11/16/2013We had reservations at 7 pm but our table was not ready, finally seated at 7:30. Service was slow and that made us anxious as we had tickets to see a show. Our dinner did not arrive until 8:45, and we rushed thru it in 10 minutes, and boxed what we didn't eat. The restaurant was half full by 8:15, so we could not understand why our food was taking so long. We had mentioned to our waiter several times that we had a show to catch when we were seated. An hour and 1/2 should have been ample for a leisurely dinner to enjoy.
- Date night dinnernarainDined on 11/15/2013Atmosphere was very welcoming, great classic and jazz blues playing. Customer service was really good and helpful with ordering the right food. The food was pretty good and the quantity plentiful. Great outdoor seating, under the heater, sipping on wine and watching passerby's. We really enjoyed our evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location, average foodSFDinerDined on 11/12/2013Ate dinner recently. Sat outside at a table on the sidewalk. Pleasant environment. NY Strip was quite good. The veal pistachio was tough as leather and had pesto rather than "pistachio crusted" as advertised. Reasonable wine list, and reasonable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodsnj1Dined on 9/22/2013The food was good, the servers were attentive. I would eat there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!TheColonelDined on 8/9/2013This restaurant remains one of the best North Beach Italian restaurants, and there are many. We enjoyed the salmon, Veal,ceasar salad, Micro beers, bottle of pinot grigrio, & espresso, Highly recommended.Special Features:
- We made a reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2013We made a reservation for 8 people on a Saturday night only a few hours before hand and they were very accommodating. The ambiance was nice and right in the heart of North Beach. They had a large menu to choose from. I made a substitution on my pasta dish and it was not a problem. The food was good but comparable to other Italian Restaurants. I would come back but would definitely like to explore other restaurants in the area as well since there is so many to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOR THE MONEYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2013A little on the pricey side since it is more of a upscale cafe than a 4 star restaurant, but the portions and quality of the food was good, not great. Service was adequate/very good.Special Features:
- reviewrickDined on 5/28/2013Food was okay. Need to sit outside . Indoor ambience not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty OptionsKMezDined on 4/5/2013We picked Colosseo because it was close to our hotel and the reviews all seemed good. We each liked our dishes of Lasagna and Seafood Ravioli. Both reminded me of Italy and there were in North Beach. Everything about Colosseo reminds one of Italy from the decor to the outdoor dining out front.Special Features:
- Wine was not great but expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2013Wine was not great but expensive. Food was OK. Not the hot spot we were hoping for... but decent
- The food is marginal. MuchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2013The food is marginal. Much more authentic places to eat in north beach. Great service but there was no one in the restaurant. Overall, good place to go when other places are full and there is a wait.Special Features:
- Easy to make reservations,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2013Easy to make reservations, ambiance was great, a bit touristy, but fine for a good meal with friends!Special Features:
- Sunday night, every restaurantDoradoDined on 2/17/2013Sunday night, every restaurant in our neighborhood was packed with a 1plus hour wait so we thought, why not try Colosseo? It always seems to have tables when we walk by. Well, now I know why. My guess is that no one ever goes back again. It was without doubt the worst meal I have had in many years. There is just nothing else to say, it's not like here were a few weak spots. It was awful..
- I thought this would be aKatyDined on 2/16/2013I thought this would be a good place to take my family (8 of us!) after we went to see Beach Blanket Babylon. They were able to seat us about 30 minutes early after the show, which was nice, but they didn't greet us at the table for about 25 minutes (so why bother seating us?). Service was extremely slow - our waiter was very busy. Understandable on a Saturday night. After finally taking our order, he returned 20 minutes later (!) to let me know they were out of Ceasar salad! That was pretty bad. We should have had our appetizers and been starting on our main courses by then. Also, their online menu has 31 pastas listed but the menu that night had about 10. I won't return. Not even for my favorite pasta dish they serve at lunch only.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Slow Service.Chris128Dined on 1/15/2013The food was excellent; the waiter was very nice and friendly. However, considering there only a two or three tables occupied with patrons, it took forever for the soup & salad to arrive, then the entrees. The dessert didn't take too long, but we did have to wait for the bill to arrive. I must admit it was nice to have a leisurely business dinner without being hurried along, but they could have sped things up just a bit. Either way, I will still be very inclined to go there again for dinner and/or lunch.Special Features:
- no idea where we were goingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/1/2013no idea where we were going in San Francisco, totally relied on a reservation from Open Table on New Years Eve... got one here and walked up an amazing amount of stairs via google gps to the top of telegraph hill and then down a few on the other side to arrive here... Had a great dinner, loved the staff, even made it back to the top of the hill for fireworks... We will be BACKSpecial Features:
- Great North Beach experienceBostonGalDined on 12/29/2012My husband, two young (5 & 7) daughters and I had a delightful experience at Colosseo. It was practically empty when we got there (6p reservations), but was filling up by the time we left. Very attentive service and the food was good. No children's menu, but we were able to split a pasta dish for the girls. Looked like it had a nice outdoor patio, but we were there on a chilly late December night so it was empty.Special Features: