417 Lafayette St
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.colors-newyork.com/
- Phone: 2127778443
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday 5:00pm -10.00PM. Friday -Saturday 5:00-11:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room for up to 25 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Shardha Young 2127778443
- Special Events: Special events can be booked for up to 150 guests seated and 250 guests standing. Call the restaurant today to book your event!
A word from COLORS
At Colors, we reflect our diverse workforce through the global cuisine we serve. We offer small plates of a variety cuisines that span the globe and hope to make a truly communal dining experience by introducing you to exciting, new flavors that change with the seasons. — We are committed to sourcing localized, traceable products from small to mid-sized farms that are invested in the quality and integrity of their products. We have set a 50% food buy goal from traceable sources and our beverage offerings reflect small-batch, local, organic, and/or sustainable production. — We are a worker cooperative that enables workers through self-governance and stands for better working conditions, improved wages, racial equality, and career mobility in the restaurant industry. By proving that restaurants can provide better wages and working conditions while still making a profit, Colors hopes to serve as a model for other restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
COLORS reviews from OpenTable diners
- We ordered the seafood paellaNYDinerVIPDined on 6/8/2012We ordered the seafood paella and got the chicken paella but it was delicious so we didn't even say anything. Prices for entrees were low; the menu didn't really distinguish between appetizers and entrees though the waitress did. Everything was quite tasty.
- I have worked in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012I have worked in the neighborhood for years and this was my first time. A true find-very good food with amazing prices. That is unsual for Noho! I would recommend this for all. A quiet and welcoming environment. And how wonderful to support a worker-run place.Special Features:
- I was not overly impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012I was not overly impressed with the food or menu. The butterflied trout tasted like lake water. Their idea of sautéed Veggies was peppers. I asked for the string beans instead. My boyfriend had the crab enchilada. The green sauce over powered the dish and he did not taste any crab. Not to mention that when I tried his dish, although good, I felt as if this was something that could have been ordered at tex mex spot for 4 bucks. I was extremely bored with the menu and felt like I ordered out of need instead of want. I will not be dining there again. They have a B rating for god's sake. Who considers themselves fine dining and has a B rating.Special Features:
- Good, needs to move it up a notchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012Knowing the history and values of Colors makes it a place you really want to root for. The food was mostly very good or better, but only the desserts really stood out. The Chips & Dip appetizer was very good, although the "chips" consisted mostly of potato chip crumbs, and extra chips cost $2. The Crab Enchilada and Butterflied Trout entrees were both very good, as was the Fisherman's Stew if you enjoy things a little spicy. Service was confused and inefficient. The server who delivered our extra chips tried to bring them to three other tables before finding us. People who ordered after us were served first. They add a 20% service charge to every check, but then leave room for a tip on the credit card receipt. I question the e
- I was here for a dinner breakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012I was here for a dinner break during an interval for the theatre 'next' door I had 1 hr 1/4 adequate time I thought, but from the time we ordered the plate of dips there was a feeling that our food would never arrive ! We are originally from London and we had terrible service there ! It wassnt an enjoyable experience, other people looked agitated as well which didn't help. I wouldn't go there every again, NY is full of excellent restaurants and I am not interested in any comments from the restaurant. My advice if customers choose dishes that will take 45mins to cook then they should advise accordingly, they knew we were on a dinner interval.
- Small, eclectic menu withKEENJVIPDined on 5/12/2012Small, eclectic menu with dishes from around the world. Choices are limited, but food is good quality. Servers are friendly.Special Features:
- Great Way to Enjoy GatzOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012Overall my experience was good. It was a busy time as the performance of Gatz had just let out and it didn't seem that the restaurant was completely prepared for the group of people, but everything eventually found it's place. The food was good, a nice drink - the Passionista, and the cookies at the end were a treat to go back to the theatre.Special Features:
- Great food! Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012Great food! Great atmosphere! Very reasonable for what you get.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012The food and service were very good. The prices are great. We ordered a bunch of the smaller dishes and sampled everything. It was fun to taste the different dishes. The menu is organized differently so we had to have it explained quickly to figure out how and what to order. It's a good place to go with a group of friends and enjoy a casual dinner and some laughs.
- very limited menu, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012very limited menu, service was brusque and unprofessional
- great if you are going toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2012great if you are going to the Public Theatre. Excellent pre fixe theatre menu.
- Off the beaten pathRetiredGuyVIPDined on 4/13/2012Off the beaten path so you can usually get a table even on Friday and Saturday. Comfortable setting and something on the menus for everyone - earth (vegetarian), land ( meat) and sea. I've been several times and enjoyed the trout and crab enchiladas..
- It was dead on a Friday night,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2012It was dead on a Friday night, only 1 other table was occupied. The service was attentive the first 30 mins of dinner. Then after, you couldn't find a server in sight. Food was delicious! No complaints there. My only gripe was the bottled water, it was 16oz Nestle Water, $5 each!!! Seriously??? I was better off ordering an alcoholic beverage!
- Did a great job working withnycdiner66VIPDined on 4/11/2012Did a great job working with the Public to get everyone a great dinner and out on time for the Gatz performance.
- Not much to rave aboutDiner5Dined on 4/11/2012The food was just mediocre. Nothing to write home about. If fact, it was unmemorable that I've forgotten what I ordered. The wait staff were nice.
- Well I felt that everythingwoowooDined on 4/6/2012Well I felt that everything was ok but it just seemed like something was missing and I can't put my foot on it. The service was very good and for a Friday night, the noise level and the crowd was not too much. One thing is that the menu is very small. I think we had about 80% of what was on the menu. So, overall not bad but I don't know if I would go back.
- This cooperative restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2012This cooperative restaurant owned and run by workers takes the quality of food and service seriously. Should be on its way to becoming a New York institution. My international visitors were as impressed as I was.Special Features:
- It is very handy to The PubliccrecreDined on 3/24/2012It is very handy to The Public Theater and good value.
- Went because it was convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/23/2012Went because it was convenient to the Public Theater where we had a 75 minute break for dinner for the 8 hour show we were seeing. Food was forgettable, but idea of the restaurant is admirable (training interns & young people in the restaurant business). Service was very good, atmosphere was very nice & would be a lovely place if not for the food.
- Had the prix fixe, the onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/23/2012Had the prix fixe, the only option available. Soup, trout entree and dessert cookies - all rather tasteless and uninteresting. Would not go back.
- One of the worst dining experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2012One of the worst dining experiences I've ever had in Manhattan (and I'm a native New Yorker so I've been eating out here a long time). The food was mediocre and the service was abysmal. If you absolutely must dine here, don't go for the dinner break at Gatz unless you want food that's been sitting under a lamp for a half hour when it arrives to you, served to you five minutes before you have to be back at the theater.
- The place has a nice ambience,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2012The place has a nice ambience, especially on milonga nights.
- excellent choice for goingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/17/2012excellent choice for going to The Public Theater (next door)
- What a ripoff!kaypurVIPDined on 3/17/2012This may have been my worst dining experience in 34 years in NYC. We made reservations because the restaurant was recommended to us by the Public Theatre since we were seeing a show that had a dinner break. We were not told there would be a price gouging Prix fixe for $32.00 and that we weren't allowed to even look at the regular menu, which sounded quite good online. The food was equivalent to an airplane meal, being both paltry servings and less than mediocre preparation, and we felt ripped off. No beverages were offered, our waitress was uninformed and inept, and the management offered no apologies or explanation when we questioned this. Had they disclosed their dinner break policy we would not have eaten at COLORS.
- Wonderful! Will return :)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012We had a large group (about 20 people), and the workers at COLORS were patient and accommodating. We were served quickly and the food and drinks were delicious. I'm sure we were a hassle, but they handled it with grace!Special Features:
- We went during a dinner breakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2012We went during a dinner break from Gatz and were given a fixed price menu that was in no way worth the $32 a person we spent. The entree was like decent wedding food--a piece of chicken with veggies on a plate. We should have gone to a corner deli for a sandwich, spent less, and enjoyed it more.
- Small plate spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/9/2012Excellent small plates, perfect for after- or before-theater (they are just down the block from the Public on Lafayette St. Interesting Latin Jazz as a bonus the night we were there. We had three small plates (chips and 4 excellent dips), a spectacular sliced steak disch, and an excellent tamale. Very good selection of on-tap beers. Much better than the crummy Zagat rating would lead one to believe.Special Features:
- I have eaten at this restaurantDrSueDined on 3/7/2012I have eaten at this restaurant before and had a wonderful experience. This week, though, I recommended the restaurant to a group of 4 friends for a birthday celebration. I requested a birthday cake. When I arrived for our 7:00 reservation, the staff told me they had received my request and it was all taken care of. After that, though, it was extremely difficult to get service. We told them when we sat down that we needed to leave by 8:30 for a 9:00 curtain and the waiter assured us it was no problem. it was a big problem. We didn't get our meals until 8:25, and that was only after speaking to the manager. I ordered a second glass of wine at about 8; it never came. No birthday cake, and no apologies. Just an off-night?Special Features:
- Fine restaurant; humanitarian ethicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012We had such a good time, that we planned to go back soon -- and returned the next day. Again delicious food, original combination -- that timbale salad, delicious -- warm, capable, on-the-ball servers and welcoming persons, low noise. We were very happy. the raining aspect, very attractive. As the local food aspect. Great restaurant: we will recommend COLORS highly, and return often. Bravo.Special Features:
- Great FoodRetiredGuyVIPDined on 3/2/2012Passed by Colors many times. The special promotion on OpenTable inspired us to try it and we were pleasantly surprised with a great meal. The tables are nicely spaced so you are not on top of your neighbor and the restaurant is relatively quiet. The only problem was their "OpenTable skills" and you might have to make sure they handle properly whatever OpenTable transactions you have with them.
- Food is delicious. ServicejayjayDined on 2/24/2012Food is delicious. Service is very slow (despite my saying I had theatre). One order was incorrect, but replaced with an apology.Special Features:
- The service was slow and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/24/2012The service was slow and the food was very good. The fact that it's reasonable, makes this a find. The people were nice, it was just a slow wait between courses.Special Features:
- Decent food, spotty serviceBklndfVIPDined on 2/22/2012We went on a Wednesday, which, it turns out, is tango class night. Now, that's something you'd think would be on the restaurant website: that as you'll be eating, a tango class will be taking class 15 feet away. Happily, it was not completely noisy and distracting. Once the class finished and they started dancing, it was pretty much OK--except that the sound system was poor and kept spiking in volume. The food was good, although we ate lightly and didn't sample too much of the menu. The service was not very good. Attentive at first, then intermittent at best. We ordered appetizers, a small main, and some soup, and it took over 20 minutes for the soup to arrive. I might go back to sample more of the menu, but w/plenty of time to eat.
- A hit with us!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/18/2012It's hard to see why Colors isn't busier. Every dish we ordered was delicious, with the ingredient's flavors simply but brightly shining through. It was beautifully presented, and the portions were reasonable, which I define as the appropriate serving size (I've never understood who wants to eat 12 oz of steak, for instance). The prices were very affordable, the staff friendly, and everything is nice and clean. The decor is a tiny bit dated, but this doesn't detract. Foremost on my list of reasons to come here is the business model- I love it. More restaurants should operate like Colors. I hope more people will patronize it, because I'd like for it to be around for a long time!Special Features:
- COLORS is a wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/27/2012COLORS is a wonderful place to meet up with friends and enjoy DELICIOUS food in a relaxed and classy setting.Special Features:
- Simple menu but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2012Simple menu but delicious food. I wish I could eat more - I would've ordered the rest of the menu!Special Features:
- delightful surprise - almost hiddenjfknycVIPDined on 1/7/2012what a surprise - right next to the Public. Affordable, glocal, fresh, interesting, spacious...Special Features:
- Great food and Wednesday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2011Great food and Wednesday night Tango dancing! Great atmosphere even for non-dancers who enjoy watching and listening.Special Features:
- Very cozy, warm, hip restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/16/2011Very cozy, warm, hip restaurant with friendly staff and awesome foodSpecial Features:
- Great night sans service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/3/2011Food was great. Everyone loved their dishes. The service was exactly like Yelp said, horrible. It took a very long time to receive menus and the service never recovered. I'm just glad the food was delicious.Special Features: