429 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90018Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.colorikitchen.com/
- Phone: (213) 622-5950
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Luigi Barducci Contessi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have a large catering menu that can be customize based on the client necessity. We provide free utensils, and complimentary bread to all the order. Only take out.
- Entertainment: Our staff will provide you with not only an excellent service but a unique experience.
A word from Colori Kitchen
Colori kitchen means family. The restaurant founded by chef Luigi barducci Contessi and his wife Paola offer two things that people can always count on: homemade good food and a welcoming and warmth atmosphere that make you feel at ease. You can walk in on a bit of a family drama sometimes, but that is juts the background for a culinary experience that leave you satisfy each time you visit. The menu offer classic Italian dishes like tagliatelle alla Bolognese and spaghetti al pesto, but it also offer a variety of daily special created personally each day by chef Luigi, such as the popular Cioppino or the succulent risotto with three kind of crab meat. In addition you cannot leave without trying at least one of the many desserts that are, like everything at Colori, made daily including all-time favorite like the Luigi’s cannoli together with innovative one like the Italian cheesecake. Like a family Colori offers consistency, try it once and you will come back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Colori Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Colori Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (30)hot spot (12)good for groups (11)special occasion (6)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- judeDined on 11/15/2014Food was fantastic as always... I loved the Pesto.... Also one of the things I love is there is no cockage fee. This place alwasys deserve a good bottle of wine to go with the fantastic food. The servers are always the best.Special Features:
- New favoriteMovingToLADined on 11/14/2014I've been here three times in a month. Very good, sometimes great food. Good prices. Cozy atmosphere. BYOB, with free corkage on first bottle. I have had a great experience every time I've been here. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to visit Downtown more oftenGRodriguez68Dined on 11/8/2014I was looking for a relaxed venue for a Sat. night dinner before a show at the Nokia and I found it, parking was also easy at the meter. I prefer restaurants that take reservations and they honored mine upon arrival. We sat by the window, it didn't add or remove from the experience. We ordered the Bruschetta, Squid Steak, husband had the Sole special in parchment paper and I had the Lasagna. Squid Steak was very tasty, husband enjoyed his healthy fish. I found my lasagna too soft but it had good flavor, I did enjoy the bread which was nice and fresh together with the garlic butter, my weakness. We brought our own wine and we weren't charged a corkage fee, definitely a plus. NY Cheesecake was just ok, not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2014The prices here are really reasonable, especially because there is no corkage fee (no beer/wine license so its strictly BYOB). The odd catch is that they only let you open one bottle of wine for every 2 people. There were 3 of us and they wouldn't let us open a second bottle. I suppose we could have brought a half bottle but you should call about that. This was rather annoying but we still had an enjoyable meal. Colori Kitchen has a "neighborhood joint" feel to it. Slightly upscale but certainly not elegant. Service was fine but the real reason to come is for the food/price ratio. I had the pesto linguini with chicken and it was delicious. Don't bother ordering the calamari steak...it was OK but really nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good downtown ItalianTVTomVIPDined on 11/1/2014Though there have been a number of new Italian spots that have opened up in the last few years, Colori's Kitchen is always dependable. The no corkage on the first two bootles of wine for a party of four really helps, and the food is well prepared and tasty. Only drawback is the noise level, which is sometimes beyond the threshold of energetic!Special Features:
- My Favorite Italian!GigiDined on 10/31/2014I love Colori! The space is Funky - downtown old skook - great local art. Now the real thing is about the food! So gooooood! My favorites are the Putanesca - pumpkin ravioli with walnut sauce, the cippicio - oh yeah the lasagna - dont forget the calamari steak! Salads are also very well done - everything tasty and fresh.....the Hummus type dip with the bread is unique and good. I could go on and on - but rather than that just GO! Be sure you make a reservation! It's BYOB btw but thats cool, head to the Golden Gofer Bar two doors down for your bottle!Special Features:
- A neighborhood GemdowntowninlaVIPDined on 10/24/2014Delicious food, services, great ambiance of a family run restaurant, great vibe - Colori has the best spaghetti and meatballs in the city. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best calamari app ever!foodie05Dined on 10/18/2014Calamari is a must...order your own serving! Lasagna delicious but not on the daily menu. BYOB...no corkage fee. The entire staff is pleasant and responsive.Special Features:
- food fabulous at ColoriRaymondRocksVIPDined on 10/17/2014I've eaten at Colori Kitchen many times and their food has been consistently wonderful. The service is good. Highly recommended as a downtown restaurant before the theatre or concerts. Don't be put off with location in a yet to be gentrified area of downtown LA...just go and enjoy the food.Special Features:
- MichaelstrategikonDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant seated us 30 minutes past our reservation time, they ran out of certain food items, and they had one server for the entire restaurant. I also asked them to do something special for my girlfriend's birthday and they did not.Special Features:
- Proud2BanAngelenoVIPDined on 10/10/2014This place is very vibrant- food, energetic wait staff and a cozy venue. You may think you are in New York or Chicago and not LA. That's funI would recommend this to a friend.
- would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014They did not seat us until 30 minutes after my reservation which caused us to run late for the rest of our night. They charged us 50 cents for tap water and do not have liquor or wine. The food was ok, not bad but not great. I had pasta with shrimp and the shrimp were the small cheap ones.
- Hole in the wall!ctjandraDined on 10/2/2014Literally a hole in the wall! You would never guess what Colori Kitchen has to offer just by looking at the exterior of this place. Homemade pasta and no corkage fee for first bottle!Special Features:
- bobmDined on 9/20/2014Have been there twice before and will go back again in the future. It's all about the food -period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My bf and I went here after work just for a quick, fun dinner. The food was really good, though a bit on the salty side (personal preference). It was nice that we could bring our own wine, and there's no corkage fee. The service was friendly, and the food came out pretty fast. We were in and out in about an hour or so.Special Features:
- Great Italian food!ExplotingLADined on 8/29/2014The place is pretty small, but the food is delicious! The have no corkage fee for bottles and you are allowed one bottle for every two people. The service was great! Given the size, it can get pretty loud if there is a large party, but it want too bad. I had the pumpkin ravioli, which was the perfect size and very tasty! We'd go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Rustic Italian foodWorldEater1Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful array of beautiful salads, fish, meat, pasta and desserts. Best minestrone soup ever. Clearly a destination restaurant with a warm Italian welcome and fantastic Italian food. Cioppino is huge and unbelievably good. Pastas are home made with deep, flavorful sauces. Meats and fish are perfectly cooked. Desserts are a true treat. Hard to beat Colori Kitchen for authentic and delicious Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous authentic ItalianLlllVIPDined on 8/9/2014Small minimally decorated space. It's all about the home cooking. Excellent ingredients, generous portions, fabulous service, unselfconscious delicious food. A rare find amidst the plethora of restaurants that are opening simply to use food to showcase the chef's narcissistic needs. This is just comfortable well prepared genuine food. Bechamel-laced lasagna, perfectly tender calamari steak, al dente pastas with complex but traditional sauces. ...very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceJDixonVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've been here many times before, and the food is consistently great and usually the service is too. Unfortunately, during my most recent experience here, our waiter was rude and the hostess started a screaming match with us.
- The following 98 reviews are from the Colori Kitchen reviews archive.
- great foodyujunDined on 7/26/2014One may get disappointed if she or he perceives this place as high end restaurant. It is more of a friendly dining place where you can get good food at reasonable price. Very crowded, but the good thing is that you can bring you own wine. Very popular during weekend night, so call in and reserve if you don't want to wait on the street for 20 min.Special Features:
- A Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Great food. Reasonable prices. Never too packed. Awesome experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding Italian FoodJayFromLAVIPDined on 7/19/2014We love this place and have been coming here for years. The setting is no-frills and relaxed. The food is outstanding. If you like arugula salad, this is the place to have one. We shared a burrata on heirloom tomatoes appetizer, which was heavenly. I had sole in a puttanesca sauce that was beyond delicious (tomato, capers, kalamata olives, garlic) served with roasted potatoes, roasted red and yellow peppers and broccoli. Others at the table had chicken parmesan and tagliatelle with bolognese sauce, which were both delicious as well. We didn't save room for dessert tho time, but I recall that there were great ones, like their tiramisu.Special Features:
- small restaurant in LADTChenVIPDined on 7/18/2014OMG My friend and I love the bread. Cioppino is delicious. Enough for 2 people to share.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The food was delicious and we loved the fact that you could bring in a bottle without a corkage fee. The salmon with dijon sauce was mouth watering, as was the fish with lemon sauce. Overall great experience, one minor glitch was the hostess, she wasn't the nicest at welcoming us in when we first arrived there, she seemed impatient....and the place was not full. Once we were seated, however, everything went smoothly. Great place, we will be back!Special Features:
- Very averageKarymomDined on 7/16/2014We were staying in downtown LA and wanted Italian for dinner. Read several reviews for this restaurant and decided to try it. Packed on a Wednesday night and only one waiter for 17 tables. Service was spotty at best. The pasta was ordinary and the Bolognese sauce didn't have as much flavor as it should. We did enjoy the grilled calamari appetizer, very tender and tasty.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, SERVICE NOT SO MUCHOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Great food but service is not too good. There were super busy but it seemed like they didn't have enough staff and the staff and management looked super overwhelmed by how busy they were to the point I felt like I was bothering them when asking for grated parmesan cheese, more water, etc. We had a lunch reservation at 12:30 and didn't get seated for about 15 minutes and then it took another 20 minutes before someone took our order. Not good for a group of people that really only had an hour for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Enjoyed their food from the bread and hummus, to my salad, to my entree! I ate everything! I would definitely return to try their other dishes!Special Features:
- Annoying waiterNGPjulexDined on 7/9/2014Our waiter was insufferable. He must be an aspiring actor because he greeted us by talking to himself in the mirror above our table for a one minute monologue. He then proceeded to continuously interrupt our conversation by asking us if we were ready to order at least three times. He then did the same to ask us if we were ready to pay. All of this while the restaurant was half empty. It made for a feeling of being rushed and affected the quality of our dining experience. And we were only there for a little over an hour. I won't go back even though I enjoy their food.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceWonky99Dined on 7/5/2014This restaurant never fails us when dining in a small or large group. The service and food are amazing and the daily specials are fantastic.Special Features:
- ExcellentHbnbDined on 6/24/2014I decided to come here with a colleague for lunch. I was staying downtown and had never been here. I found it online. It is a small family run place. For lunch, the menu was not huge but had many delicious sounding items to choose from. The service was friendly and prompt. My colleague nor I eat much per sitting, but the food was so tasty, we nearly cleared our plates. I cannot comment on dinner as I have not seen the ambiance nor the menu for this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!BigOnionDined on 6/21/2014Great urban neighborhood hot spot! Good food, great service and friendly warm welcome. One of my favorite local places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 6/20/2014I went with a group of friends and we almost tried everything on the menu. I highly suggest the lasagna ( a family recipe ) and the grilled calamari! To die for!Special Features:
- Delicous food, cozy ambianceGoodtimeCharlieDined on 6/19/2014We had a wonderful, congenial meal here the other night. Colori Kitchen is a small restaurant with top quality Italian fare. Our waiter was friendly and helpful and offered wonderful service. We started our meal with bread and a phenomenal garlic spread. There's no corkage at Colori so we brought two nice Chiantis to go with dinner. Appetizers were bruschetta and calamari- I particularly recommend the calamari! Our table ordered spaghetti with clams, mushroom risotto, penne with prawns and the pork chops. Everything was delicious and hearty- real comfort food. One note- the restaurant is rather loud so I wouldn't pick this place for dinner if noise level bothers you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a winner!happy2shareDined on 6/18/2014Colori Kitchen is wonderful. It's staff is friendly, moves quickly and efficiently, and the food is delicious and moderately priced! There are no pretenses here. Just a well loved family restaurant that is a pleasure to go to! May their success continue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun !jancie57Dined on 6/17/2014If you drive by this restaurant, I don't think you would even consider this place.. Its a hidden gem!! We had a nice dinner before the theater.Special Features:
- 4th time here and still a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Every time I have an event downtown I introduce new friends to this place and it never disappoints ! great food and atmosphere! bring your own wine and enjoy!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemItsMeMarioDined on 6/7/2014My gf and I had dinner here Saturday night. The staff was attentive and friendly despite being very busy taking care of a packed house on a Saturday night. We had reservations so only had a small wait while they cleared & cleaned our table. FYI, no corkage fee for the first bottle. They had the "Nonna's Lasagna" as their special and I took a chance and ordered it. I'm usually very picky with lasagna, I love my mom's so much that I'm usually disappointed when I order it at a restaurant. Not here...it was delicious and tasted just like Mom's. My gf ordered the spinach ravioli and that was an amazing dish as well. We finished off with a delicious cheesecake. Cheesecake can sometimes be too rich for my taste, not here, perfectly balanced.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood FindDatBoyCJDined on 5/30/2014I highly recommend this place. The food is wonderful, especially the grilled calamari appetizer. Even though they don't sell wine, they have no corking fee so be sure to bring your own bottles. Great place, great food, full of charmSpecial Features:
- real ItalianGaryVIPDined on 5/23/2014This was real Italian food as found in Italy, not American pretend Italian. Best calamari we have ever had (not fried), especially well prepared encrusted fish with nice side orders especially grilled peppers, and perfectly done veal-mushroom ravioli. Very tasty and ample portions. A good blend of homemade and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveVIPDined on 5/22/2014This place is hard to find, as it is in the middle of a rather run down block with little signage which is not old and outdated. But it is worth the effort. The interior is relaxed and comfortable and the service friendly and responsive. The food was quite good, though perhaps not strictly authentic, and wonderfully flavorful and filling for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.