429 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90018Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.colorikitchen.com/
- Phone: 2136225950x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Luigi Barducci Contessi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have a large catering menu that can be customize based on the client necessity. We provide free utensils, and complimentary bread to all the order. Only take out.
- Entertainment: Our staff will provide you with not only an excellent service but a unique experience.
A word from Colori Kitchen
Colori kitchen means family. The restaurant founded by chef Luigi barducci Contessi and his wife Paola offer two things that people can always count on: homemade good food and a welcoming and warmth atmosphere that make you feel at ease. You can walk in on a bit of a family drama sometimes, but that is juts the background for a culinary experience that leave you satisfy each time you visit. The menu offer classic Italian dishes like tagliatelle alla Bolognese and spaghetti al pesto, but it also offer a variety of daily special created personally each day by chef Luigi, such as the popular Cioppino or the succulent risotto with three kind of crab meat. In addition you cannot leave without trying at least one of the many desserts that are, like everything at Colori, made daily including all-time favorite like the Luigi’s cannoli together with innovative one like the Italian cheesecake. Like a family Colori offers consistency, try it once and you will come back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Colori Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Colori Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (36)good for groups (15)romantic (9)special occasion (8)hot spot (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- food fabulous at ColoriRaymondRocksVIPDined on 10/17/2014I've eaten at Colori Kitchen many times and their food has been consistently wonderful. The service is good. Highly recommended as a downtown restaurant before the theatre or concerts. Don't be put off with location in a yet to be gentrified area of downtown LA...just go and enjoy the food.Special Features:
- MichaelstrategikonDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant seated us 30 minutes past our reservation time, they ran out of certain food items, and they had one server for the entire restaurant. I also asked them to do something special for my girlfriend's birthday and they did not.Special Features:
- Proud2BanAngelenoVIPDined on 10/10/2014This place is very vibrant- food, energetic wait staff and a cozy venue. You may think you are in New York or Chicago and not LA. That's funI would recommend this to a friend.
- would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014They did not seat us until 30 minutes after my reservation which caused us to run late for the rest of our night. They charged us 50 cents for tap water and do not have liquor or wine. The food was ok, not bad but not great. I had pasta with shrimp and the shrimp were the small cheap ones.
- Hole in the wall!ctjandraDined on 10/2/2014Literally a hole in the wall! You would never guess what Colori Kitchen has to offer just by looking at the exterior of this place. Homemade pasta and no corkage fee for first bottle!Special Features:
- bobmDined on 9/20/2014Have been there twice before and will go back again in the future. It's all about the food -period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My bf and I went here after work just for a quick, fun dinner. The food was really good, though a bit on the salty side (personal preference). It was nice that we could bring our own wine, and there's no corkage fee. The service was friendly, and the food came out pretty fast. We were in and out in about an hour or so.Special Features:
- Great Italian food!ExplotingLADined on 8/29/2014The place is pretty small, but the food is delicious! The have no corkage fee for bottles and you are allowed one bottle for every two people. The service was great! Given the size, it can get pretty loud if there is a large party, but it want too bad. I had the pumpkin ravioli, which was the perfect size and very tasty! We'd go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Rustic Italian foodWorldEater1Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful array of beautiful salads, fish, meat, pasta and desserts. Best minestrone soup ever. Clearly a destination restaurant with a warm Italian welcome and fantastic Italian food. Cioppino is huge and unbelievably good. Pastas are home made with deep, flavorful sauces. Meats and fish are perfectly cooked. Desserts are a true treat. Hard to beat Colori Kitchen for authentic and delicious Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous authentic ItalianLlllVIPDined on 8/9/2014Small minimally decorated space. It's all about the home cooking. Excellent ingredients, generous portions, fabulous service, unselfconscious delicious food. A rare find amidst the plethora of restaurants that are opening simply to use food to showcase the chef's narcissistic needs. This is just comfortable well prepared genuine food. Bechamel-laced lasagna, perfectly tender calamari steak, al dente pastas with complex but traditional sauces. ...very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceJDixonVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've been here many times before, and the food is consistently great and usually the service is too. Unfortunately, during my most recent experience here, our waiter was rude and the hostess started a screaming match with us.
- great foodyujunDined on 7/26/2014One may get disappointed if she or he perceives this place as high end restaurant. It is more of a friendly dining place where you can get good food at reasonable price. Very crowded, but the good thing is that you can bring you own wine. Very popular during weekend night, so call in and reserve if you don't want to wait on the street for 20 min.Special Features:
- A Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Great food. Reasonable prices. Never too packed. Awesome experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding Italian FoodJayFromLAVIPDined on 7/19/2014We love this place and have been coming here for years. The setting is no-frills and relaxed. The food is outstanding. If you like arugula salad, this is the place to have one. We shared a burrata on heirloom tomatoes appetizer, which was heavenly. I had sole in a puttanesca sauce that was beyond delicious (tomato, capers, kalamata olives, garlic) served with roasted potatoes, roasted red and yellow peppers and broccoli. Others at the table had chicken parmesan and tagliatelle with bolognese sauce, which were both delicious as well. We didn't save room for dessert tho time, but I recall that there were great ones, like their tiramisu.Special Features:
- small restaurant in LADTChenVIPDined on 7/18/2014OMG My friend and I love the bread. Cioppino is delicious. Enough for 2 people to share.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The food was delicious and we loved the fact that you could bring in a bottle without a corkage fee. The salmon with dijon sauce was mouth watering, as was the fish with lemon sauce. Overall great experience, one minor glitch was the hostess, she wasn't the nicest at welcoming us in when we first arrived there, she seemed impatient....and the place was not full. Once we were seated, however, everything went smoothly. Great place, we will be back!Special Features:
- Very averageKarymomDined on 7/16/2014We were staying in downtown LA and wanted Italian for dinner. Read several reviews for this restaurant and decided to try it. Packed on a Wednesday night and only one waiter for 17 tables. Service was spotty at best. The pasta was ordinary and the Bolognese sauce didn't have as much flavor as it should. We did enjoy the grilled calamari appetizer, very tender and tasty.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, SERVICE NOT SO MUCHOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Great food but service is not too good. There were super busy but it seemed like they didn't have enough staff and the staff and management looked super overwhelmed by how busy they were to the point I felt like I was bothering them when asking for grated parmesan cheese, more water, etc. We had a lunch reservation at 12:30 and didn't get seated for about 15 minutes and then it took another 20 minutes before someone took our order. Not good for a group of people that really only had an hour for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Enjoyed their food from the bread and hummus, to my salad, to my entree! I ate everything! I would definitely return to try their other dishes!Special Features:
- Annoying waiterNGPjulexDined on 7/9/2014Our waiter was insufferable. He must be an aspiring actor because he greeted us by talking to himself in the mirror above our table for a one minute monologue. He then proceeded to continuously interrupt our conversation by asking us if we were ready to order at least three times. He then did the same to ask us if we were ready to pay. All of this while the restaurant was half empty. It made for a feeling of being rushed and affected the quality of our dining experience. And we were only there for a little over an hour. I won't go back even though I enjoy their food.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceWonky99Dined on 7/5/2014This restaurant never fails us when dining in a small or large group. The service and food are amazing and the daily specials are fantastic.Special Features:
- ExcellentHbnbDined on 6/24/2014I decided to come here with a colleague for lunch. I was staying downtown and had never been here. I found it online. It is a small family run place. For lunch, the menu was not huge but had many delicious sounding items to choose from. The service was friendly and prompt. My colleague nor I eat much per sitting, but the food was so tasty, we nearly cleared our plates. I cannot comment on dinner as I have not seen the ambiance nor the menu for this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!BigOnionDined on 6/21/2014Great urban neighborhood hot spot! Good food, great service and friendly warm welcome. One of my favorite local places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Colori Kitchen reviews archive.
- YummyDined on 6/20/2014I went with a group of friends and we almost tried everything on the menu. I highly suggest the lasagna ( a family recipe ) and the grilled calamari! To die for!Special Features:
- Delicous food, cozy ambianceGoodtimeCharlieDined on 6/19/2014We had a wonderful, congenial meal here the other night. Colori Kitchen is a small restaurant with top quality Italian fare. Our waiter was friendly and helpful and offered wonderful service. We started our meal with bread and a phenomenal garlic spread. There's no corkage at Colori so we brought two nice Chiantis to go with dinner. Appetizers were bruschetta and calamari- I particularly recommend the calamari! Our table ordered spaghetti with clams, mushroom risotto, penne with prawns and the pork chops. Everything was delicious and hearty- real comfort food. One note- the restaurant is rather loud so I wouldn't pick this place for dinner if noise level bothers you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a winner!happy2shareDined on 6/18/2014Colori Kitchen is wonderful. It's staff is friendly, moves quickly and efficiently, and the food is delicious and moderately priced! There are no pretenses here. Just a well loved family restaurant that is a pleasure to go to! May their success continue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014If you drive by this restaurant, I don't think you would even consider this place.. Its a hidden gem!! We had a nice dinner before the theater.Special Features:
- 4th time here and still a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Every time I have an event downtown I introduce new friends to this place and it never disappoints ! great food and atmosphere! bring your own wine and enjoy!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemItsMeMarioDined on 6/7/2014My gf and I had dinner here Saturday night. The staff was attentive and friendly despite being very busy taking care of a packed house on a Saturday night. We had reservations so only had a small wait while they cleared & cleaned our table. FYI, no corkage fee for the first bottle. They had the "Nonna's Lasagna" as their special and I took a chance and ordered it. I'm usually very picky with lasagna, I love my mom's so much that I'm usually disappointed when I order it at a restaurant. Not here...it was delicious and tasted just like Mom's. My gf ordered the spinach ravioli and that was an amazing dish as well. We finished off with a delicious cheesecake. Cheesecake can sometimes be too rich for my taste, not here, perfectly balanced.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood FindDatBoyCJDined on 5/30/2014I highly recommend this place. The food is wonderful, especially the grilled calamari appetizer. Even though they don't sell wine, they have no corking fee so be sure to bring your own bottles. Great place, great food, full of charmSpecial Features:
- real ItalianGaryVIPDined on 5/23/2014This was real Italian food as found in Italy, not American pretend Italian. Best calamari we have ever had (not fried), especially well prepared encrusted fish with nice side orders especially grilled peppers, and perfectly done veal-mushroom ravioli. Very tasty and ample portions. A good blend of homemade and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveVIPDined on 5/22/2014This place is hard to find, as it is in the middle of a rather run down block with little signage which is not old and outdated. But it is worth the effort. The interior is relaxed and comfortable and the service friendly and responsive. The food was quite good, though perhaps not strictly authentic, and wonderfully flavorful and filling for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food needs acLuv2grubVIPDined on 5/14/2014Met some friends for dinner. It was a warm night and the place was packed. Food was terrific it was just so hot in there With the open kitchen and no air that I couldn't really enjoy my dinner. Maybe It was broken but next time I'll go in winter :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fanmsribsyVIPDined on 5/8/2014I don't get what all the hype is about this place but I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that it's byob? Food was mediocre at best. Calamari was gross. Pastas were decent, but nothing special. We also tried the black cod and salmon, but both were pretty bland and not really worth the $26 price tag. I'd say spend a bit more and go to a better Italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Great time at ColoriMikieDined on 5/8/2014We had a great meal at Colori prior to going to a concert at Disney Hall. Entryway is a bit plain, inside is fun. Moderately priced and appetizers, salads and entrees all big enough to split. We had pork chops, which were perfect. If you plan to split, ask them to divide the entrée. Ours came on one plate and it was clumsy to divide it. Also, remember to bring your own wine.Special Features:
- A mixed bagCJdinerVIPDined on 4/26/2014Colori Kitchen was a mixed bag. The food was great, but there's room for improvement on the service/hospitality end of things. Our reservation was for a party of 4 and on our way the other couple called and said they were running very late and we should eat w/o them. There is an incomplete party policy here, and so we had to wait for a 2 top to open. Not a huge deal, but also easily remedied by splitting a 4top into 2 2tops, since they were all 2 tops pushed together. Just disappointing. Once we were seated the glass for my wine was pretty badly chipped (large chips that ran around 1/3 of the rim). It was replaced with apologies. Wrong entree was brought out for me. Overall, I think Colori Kitchen needs to work on catching the details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRoshDined on 4/26/2014My cousins had been raving about this place for months. They make their pasta fresh and their rich flavors are fantastic. I enjoyed their pasta and oh gosh, their cheesecake was incredible. It is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remember the wine!DinenwineDined on 4/24/2014Great food, cute and friendless server, remember to bring your own wine. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Pasta!LoneWolf02Dined on 4/12/2014We had some great pasta! One key point is you can bring your own wine!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014some of the best Italian food to be found in Los Angeles.Special Features: