1532 Grand Blvd
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.collectionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8164717111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Celina Tio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Collection
The newest concept from James Beard Award-winning chef, Celina TioContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Collection reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- great food and serviceBirthdayDined on 8/18/2014Loved everything about the place. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Collection reviews archive.
- Like dining in a school cafeteriaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/17/2014Empty restaurant and I can see why. Food was passable but that's all. Service was ok, but it should be when there's no one else in the restaurant. Decor was the worst I've ever seen. It looks like they spent $30 on the dining room.
- food with flavor, wine to matchstanDined on 6/7/2014food with flavor not found any other place, wines that pair with your dish, and all amid downtown art, sport, and entertainment venues ... good bar to night cap it all off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurant in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/31/2014This is a great restaurant in downtown. The fool was great, service wonderful. Celine Tio was there at the restaurant and made a point to come over to ask how everything was (always nice to see her, and talk to the chef/owner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmptyJhurst127Dined on 5/17/2014Unfortunately, Collection was a dud for us. From the ambiance to the food, everything was mediocre at best. We were the only diners in the restaurant on a Saturday night. The food was just okay and there were several items that were not available but still listed on the menu. It was just kind of depressing because it felt like we were in a restaurant that was going under.
- Good Service, Mediocre FoodHellocaitlin85Dined on 5/10/2014Our server was great, and I hate to say that the food was only mediocre. I don't think I would go back unfortunately.Special Features:
- Service needs improvementFirstFridayDined on 5/2/2014The food, as expected, was delicious. However, the service was horrible. I asked about the First Friday happy hour specials, as posted on Facebook by Chef Tio, our waiter told us there weren't any specials. I didn't correct the waiter as no one at the table decided to get any of the specials. When we got our checks, the waiter over charged my credit card by $25 and my friend was over charged $90. It took him and 3 other employees 30 minutes to fix the issue. I would go back for the food, but we probably will just go to Julian instead.Special Features:
- Good Happy Hour DealsMeeechelleDined on 5/2/2014I enjoyed the $5 Happy Hour Deals when I went to visit Collection. The orange beets with whipped goat cheese and pistachios was yummy.
- DisappointingAmhfzfDined on 4/18/2014We arrived at 7:30 on a Friday night and were one of two couples eating at the restaurant. The host wasn't at the door, so an employee who was leaving after his shift seated us. The waiter was very professional when addressing us, but took a very long time between checking on us before we placed our orders. When asked, his two suggestions were the two most expensive items on the menu. The beer list was great as they use the Belfry bar beer selection next door. The food came out quickly and the rigatoni was very good, but the burger was disappointing due to an error by the cook. With only 2 tables full at the restaurant, we expected faster service and not to have any issues with the food preparation.Special Features:
- Should have been much better ...PJBandDRNVIPDined on 4/18/2014We had lunch on a Friday and were the only two people there. Despite that, it took over 45 minutes for two entrees to arrive. We were offered a rather lame explanation about the pasta not being quite right when first prepared, but if so, it would have been nice to be informed about that as it happened. Still, great food can trump a mediocre dining experience. Unfortunately, this was not great food. The mac and cheese was pleasant, though not exceptional, and the seafood pasta (of the unfortunate cooking experience) was very chewy spaghetti with six shrimp and some miniscule scraps of clam (which incidentally cost $23 for a lunch portion). We expect better of such a fine chef.
- UncertainMikeDined on 3/29/2014Upon arrival, I introduced my colleague to Celina Tio who was wecloming and very gracious. We went to the Belfry and the bar tenders were attentive and helpful. we loved the selection of beers and I am now a fan of Petrus! Dinner in Collection's dining area has the feel of dining an a temporary setting. It seems just too sterile and make shift. Our food is up to Chef Tio's standard but the setting and noise is a distraction. This has promise but needs some work.
- Great food. Where are the people?GREENVIPDined on 3/21/2014Her restaurant in Brookside is great, so we were very excited to try this place. We arrived at 6pm on a Friday night. There were maybe 4 other people in the restaurant. During our entire dinner, there were maybe 10 other diners. Occupancy aside, the food was very good. We could have existed on appetizers and cocktails alone. We moved-on to dinner and desserts and were disappointed. I hope more people find out about this place.Special Features:
- Don't miss this great placestanDined on 3/14/2014... tasty food, large selection of wines/beer ... close to Sprint, Kaufman, other down town venuesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fantastic experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014What a fantastic experience! Went with a large group of people and everyone told me later they loved their food (chicken, scallops, shepherd's pie). They were even telling me days later how much they really enjoyed the restaurant and how they wanted to go back again soon. The energy was fun and the table set-up was great. My scallops were excellent. Some ordered up apps, trying the goat cheese and beets. The others ate Farm to Market bread with apple butter and thought it was great. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Service was 4 because the waitress at times wasn't the kindest person in the world. There was a moment where she was a little tense with one of my friends but we got it resolved. Otherwise, I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dinnerJeffDined on 2/14/20144 course meal for two. All but one entree (duck) were excellent. The broth seasoning for the duck wasn't simmered in enough. The entrance needs some draft protection in the winter months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is this a pop-up restaurant?disappointedDined on 2/14/2014It sure could be. Grab some tables and chairs and throw a menu together??? Over-priced for a mediocre experience.
- Feast of V-DayVDayVisitorDined on 2/14/2014Their menu was a great selection of all sorts of food options. All the dishes that the two of us had were extremely tasty and a great price for four courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayChrisVIPDined on 2/14/2014We went to dinner at Collection for Valentine's Day. The fixed menu choices were varied. We tried different items and all were good. Overall our experience was positive. The desserts were definitely the highlight. Enjoyed our craft beers at the Belfry beforehand as much or more than the dinner. It's a little barren inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skimpy on Key IngredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014The ambiance is shaby-chic cafeteria, too bright for evening, but okay if you know what to expect. Overall the food was disapointing in presentation and lacked reasonable amounts of key ingredients. The salad with crab had MINIMAL crab and not much flavor, a complaint of more than one table. The pate' 3,slices of crustini with a THIN layer of pate' and 2 -3 huckleberries, was anemic. 2 pieces with twice the pate' and a berry drizzle on the plate would have been a huge improvement. On the upside, the oyster Rokafeller soup was nice. The loup de mer and beef entree were flavorful, if without interesting presentation. Our server was excellent and our wine complimentary, but I we'd rather have paid and enjoyed. Disappointing overall..
- OverratedOMGodatherDined on 2/14/2014Categorically awful...below average food at extraordinary prices in what feels like a bad lobby space.
- Chef Tio does it again!luv2dineDined on 2/13/2014Great location. Great food. Great beer/drinks. Chef Celina Tio has a way of bringing it all together. Do yourself a favor and book your reservation today.Special Features:
- Good and not so goodLakewoodianDined on 2/1/2014We have been to Collection twice now for dinner, and while the food overall is quite good, there were some glitches that dampened our enthusiasm for going back in the near future. We had lukewarm soup and cold bread pudding on our first visit, and two significant errors on both sandwich orders the second visit. We were pressed for time so didn't bother reordering but made do with what we were served. Decor is stark, tablecloths would really help. Front door is a single door allowing a draft to waft in every time it is opened. Choose a table farther away if you can. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and the service was reasonably good but some tweaks are needed to make this a real destination restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodATCKellyRDined on 1/31/2014This place had great food, and a great atmosphere. Simplistic, and sleek, yet stylish. The Macaroni and cheese was a must try, and my hamburger was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celeb Chef Over-Hyped UnderachieverRainmakerDined on 1/25/2014If you just HAVE to eat here to see for yourself, ask yourself this: "What dish of the meal I've just been served showed the skills of a master chef?" Certainly not the knife acuity displayed in the inconsistent cuts of their signature carrots with Harissa or the Beets with Goat Cheese. The thicker carrots were raw. Although the beet dish was my favorite regarding taste, did it take a culinary-trained talent to 'griddle' fry bread to burnt & serve it in a space that felt like an elementary school cafeteria with their latest art projects hung on the wall? What dish resonated with a champion's signature? I wonder if this is just some tongue-in-cheek private joke, and we dinner patrons are the punchline!
- Starting with the drink menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2014Starting with the drink menu and the list of bourbons available, the experience at Collection is very, very positive. The food is outstanding. Prepared perfectly, in the right quantity and with perfect taste. Even on the cold night (outside) that we were there, it came from the kitchen hot. The service was good - just not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodFoodieDined on 1/25/2014I was expecting James Beard award winning food and was sorely disappointed. There was nothing special at all about our meals.
- Would Not ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014I have few positive things to say about this restaurant. The décor is bleak to almost non existent. We sat in the equivalent of cafeteria chairs. The bathrooms are painted black and patrons are encouraged to write on the walls with colored chalk; looks cheap not sheik. My chicken sandwich might have had two ounces of chicken on it. The shepherd's pie was a pile of potatoes with strips of lamb piled on top. It was a good size portion but had zero pizazz. The person who ordered the scallops, a five foot female, said they were good but was served such a tiny portion that she stopped and got something to eat on the way home. Our coffee never arrived.
- Over cookedLaughtonkDined on 1/24/2014Our party had 6 people. Each one of our meals was overlooked except for the hamburger but it was flavorless. The plolenta was very good. But the egg with it was overdone. The wait staff was not friendly. Service was timely but I felt like The requests at our table were a nuisance to them. Not a place we will visit again. We tried a variety of menu items but the polenta was the only thing that was worth eating.Special Features:
- Food was great, service was NOTkctcDined on 1/18/2014I really wanted to love this place, because we love Julian so much. We started off with a beer at Belfry, where Celina Tio was tending bar. The beer and atmosphere at Belfry were great, which made Collection all the more disappointing. Atmosphere is kind of subjective, but I feel like they took the "cafeteria" theme just a little too far. It was just too sterile. Our food was great, but the service was absolutely abysmal. I took forever to even get ANYONE to serve us, and that was the host. Even he seemed to wander off and disappear a lot. I would get carryout of that amazing mac and cheese, but I don't think we would ever eat dinner there again.Special Features:
- A Collection... but not a StewMrCephDined on 1/11/2014What a nice little find. On our way to the symphony, we decided to try something new and had wanted to visit Chef Tio's new creation downtown. The service was top notch (we were running late and called to push our reservations, our request was met with a friendly and encouraging can-do attitude). The menu was a bit awkward for a dinner-spot since it felt like it was geared more for the lunch crowd. We tried a few of the starters and really enjoyed the carrots w/harissa. They could have actually been a little spicier but, alas, they were still flavorful. The mac & cheese was very rich, hearty and tasty! Some of the other items were well recommended and pretty good but not memorable. Certainly worth another visit. Service made the difference!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York dinning at Midwest priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Very well done and very laid back great food awesome service.Special Features:
- Chef Tio shines, a downtown hitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/20/2013We had a mix of appetizers, mains, cocktails and wine and everything was spot on. There are a number of go-to dishes (lamb "shepard's pie", pulled chicken sandwich, grilled bread and red wine butter) with some of Chef Tio's best dishes from Julian's (burger!). Seasoning and preparation were perfect; the french fries were particularly perfect the night we went, crispy on the outside, perfectly salted; we couldn't stop eating them! With an amazing looking, soon-to-be-open bar in the back (The Belfry), it is a must go. Wine selection is great with the same wine director as Julian's (Mike) and the beer directory (Brad) who has had many hits including Bier Station, is create a great menu with beers that you may only find here in KC.Special Features:
- If you like sitting in thewineandfoodloverVIPDined on 12/13/2013If you like sitting in the same plastic and metal chairs you had in school, then the ambience is for you. The space is stark - that's not a negative if sparse and simple is what you're looking for. Just don't come expecting swank, elegant, or anything approaching upscale. Industrial is probably the best description. The food and service, though, are wonderful. The mac and cheese, and the scallops, are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.