Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill
22701 Pelican Hill Road South
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pelicanhill.com/Dining_Coliseum
- Phone: 9496121913x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Micah Severeid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill
The casual resort lifestyle on the Southern California coast comes to life at the Coliseum Pool & Grill, with gorgeous Pacific ocean vistas, whimsical table settings of bright aquamarine linens and blue-tinted glassware, and a wide selection of American favorites on Chef Micah Severeid’s superbly prepared menu. Dine overlooking the strikingly iconic Coliseum Pool with its radiant blue bottom created by hand-setting 1.1 million hand-cut glass mosaic tiles. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, the restaurant offers fresh seasonal fare with many ingredients sourced locally from the Irvine Ranch®, located just 8 miles from Pelican Hill. With a large selection of pizzas, panini, sandwiches, seafood dishes, pastas, specialty salads and even smoothies, there’s something on the menu for every taste and desire. A lounge with nine-foot TV screens is a favorite for sports viewing and families delight in the “Coliseum Kids’ Menu,” featuring an endless pizza, pasta and gelato option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (98)scenic view (96)special occasion (65)great for lunch (63)great for brunch (50)romantic (48)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (37)kid-friendly (32)neighborhood gem (29)notable wine list (20)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A lot of Mis-understandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014I made a reservation and took a friend over for breakfast on Sunday 10:30 am 10/19/2014. We asked the waitress about the details of the menu. She suggested the buffet to us. I asked how much the buffet was and she said $22. When we finished the food and asked for the bill, the bill was $110 for two. The buffet was $55. When I asked her about it, she said the buffet was $55. When I asked why she told us $22. She said that was for the Continental. I then asked for the menu again and there was no pricing on the menu for buffet. And I felt there was a lot of misunderstanding and misleading. I ended up paying the $110 and walked away. It ruined the experience I had there.
- 5 Star everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Great food, drinks and the large screen tv made for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Our party of four enjoyed the ambiance, the service and the food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/12/2014We waited at least 10 minutes before our waiter came by.Special Features:
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014I was surprised to discover that they now serve popcorn instead of bread at the table. Very disappointed to see this. Perhaps it is a way to save money, not sure. Even bread sticks would have been better. I guess this is one way to cut down on calories for sure since I did not eat any popcorn. The service was lacking. I don't know why since I had lunch on a very slow Monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought I was in Italy!!!!!RDY2ROMEDined on 10/5/2014Had a very enjoyable dinner with friends. We all remarked that it reminded us of when we went to Italy for a vacation together and truly "dined" our way through the country. Wonderful atmosphere, great food and very hospitable service. Ciao!Special Features:
- Nice place to relax on SundayfillerupmanDined on 9/28/2014Nice spot to relax on Sunday. I only had the bacon and eggs so I could not comment on the other food, or, their brunch bar. The coffee is good, served in a thermos that actually keeps the coffee hot and is left at table. For bacon and eggs to be better you would have to be curing and thick slicing your own in house.Special Features:
- Lovely place to enjoy a meal!HBGalVIPDined on 9/27/2014We came for dinner and watched the sun set. Very relaxing! Great service, we were not rushed at all, and our food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Might try againOCdinerDined on 9/24/2014Great view, dined here many times. Recent two have disappointed. Lost reservations to start, even though I made thru open table. Our group dinner a month ago we were seated by a football fan party of 20 who cheered and screamed for two hrs. This was tolerated by the restaurant. We waited over an hour for entrees ( which were average in taste). Both recent dining experiences included being redirected from the valet that is 10 steps to the restaurant, to main hotel valet, a long walk. My recent lunch was average. We constantly had to ask the wait staff to place our order, refill coffee etc. They put shrimp on my salad instead of salmon. It's way off from where it used to be. At these prices I'll think hard before going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good alternative at Pelican HillnewportregularVIPDined on 9/19/2014This venue is less pricey, offers a view of golf course and the coliseum pool. and we liked the outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Beautiful SettingroadwarriorVIPDined on 9/17/2014The views were spectacular, the food was very good and the service was outstanding. The sunset was lovely and Alex was attentive, friendly, and very professional. The calamari was fresh and delicious with a very light crust which allowed the flavor of the calamari to be enjoyed. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coliseum RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food and ambiance is spectacular ! I highly recommend and food prices are very decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was delicious. ORGEOUS view! Service was very friendly but slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014it was busy with visitors being the weekend, but the food and the service are worth it. The scenic view breathtaking, took dozens of pictures. I got the same table i had in the past and I loved using OpenTable to make the reservations. Thanks!Special Features:
- Very disappointed in serviceDisappointedVIPDined on 9/13/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday and I noted that on my OpenTable reservation and the hostess confirmed that she saw it when I asked her after we had been seated. Thereafter, there was absolutely nothing mentioned by any of our servers or the staff about her birthday and there was absolutley nothing done or provided during the meal or dessert to acknowledge it. Additionally, it took them nearly 40 minutes to bring our food after we ordered it. They said a couple BIG orders beat ours in the kitchen - very poor excuse. There should be no excuse for it it take that long. I would and did expect more from a 5 star resort. Finally, be sure to bring your own wine (glad we did). The wine markups are outrageous. Worth paying the corkage fee.
- One of the best views in OCGmoneyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We go to the Coliseum because of the view of the ocean and one of the largest infinity pools in the nation. It also helps that you're in a 5-star resort so the grounds are gorgeous. Great for brunch, lunch or dinner and one of our go to places for group dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coliseum Pool & GrillvacationtimeDined on 9/3/2014I have dined at the Coliseum Pool and Grill several times. I've taken many guests and family here for a relaxing or special day. The quality of service and food is consistent offering a menu that is varied, healthy, fresh, and in addition to this, well prepared. My favorite is the Beet Salad with Salmon. Prices are quite reasonable for a place of this caliber. The location is outstanding, offering beautiful views of Newport Bay and the golf course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait and bad serviceluv2dineDined on 9/1/2014I have never experienced such a long wait and bad service at any 5 star resorts. Took 45 mins to get to the table although we reserved a table. Then it takes another 15 minutes for a someone to come to greet us. No water and no napkin until we ask. It is totally a mess and we never expect such service at this kind resort. Colesium staffs, please pay more attention to your customers.Special Features:
- The Buffet is $55.LillyBelleVIPDined on 9/1/2014This really is a venue for property guests. The service was very slow. We were given a cooked-to-order menu and offered the buffet. Wanting a little of everything, we chose the buffet. Our server, Traci, never mentioned that the buffet is $55 per person. Had we known the cost of the buffet, we would have ordered from the menu, where the plates were $25, and enjoyed our meal much more. Outside diners are subjected to property guests and their families going to the pool.Special Features:
- Never again on Labor DayNeighborsDined on 8/31/2014We had reservations for 7:15 on Labor Day. We were not seated until 8:30. It was noisy and chaotic. A buffet was offered for $60. a plate that included hot dogs and hamburgers. People were taking food from the buffet with their hands. I had a wilted and warm Tuscan salad. Don't know how long it was sitting out before it came to the table. The 4 of us were very disappointed with our experience.Special Features:
- Celebration DinnerYLLakerFanDined on 8/31/2014Always a fun place for dinner. We love to bring out of town guest here, especially for sunset. Our only problem this time, we had a 6:45 reservation and we did not get our table until 7:20 PM. The food was good, the Ahi on my Tuscan Salad was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Pelican Hill!!!SheriandBillVIPDined on 8/31/2014It's even more perfect each and every time we visit. This time we drove down from LA just to have lunch. It makes for such a lovely afternoon.Special Features:
- Birthday Ocean View Spoiledlove2eatDined on 8/30/2014We arrived early and had a cocktail in the main lobby bar overlooking the golf course and pool area. Service was great and drinks were good. Maybe a little pricy but after-all you are a Pelican Hill. The Coliseum Pool & Grill is on the ground level of the resort, not to worry if you're not able to make the walk you can catch a ride from the hotel shuttle. When we arrived for the our dinner reservations we were disappointed that we did not get the seating we had requested when we made our advance reservations. The waiter service was good, food good, view ok you just need to be flexible as you may not get what you requested. Over all I would recommend and will go back again.Special Features:
- Spectacular setting!WaikikidinerDined on 8/29/2014The Coliseum at Pelican Hill has a beautiful setting, over looking the resorts enormous round pool, with the golf course and ocean beyond. The food was good, service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing view, reasonable pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Coliseum Pool and Grill. The service was excellent and the food was really delicious. Beautifully presented and reasonably priced for the quality, service and view. Our waiter was wonderful and the manager came by to ask us how we were doing. All great! My only disappointment was paying $25-26 for a glass of Chardonnay ..... the amount of wine in the glass when served was less than normal... C'mon guys! Lets make sure that you are making it worth the $26 or else suggest ordering a bottle. Pour a glass that is generous when we are paying those big prices!Special Features:
- xxxxVIPDined on 8/24/2014Needed a place for brunch in OC and decided on Pelican Hill. We sat outside on the patio and we had a beautiful ocean view. The service was excellent. Everyone from the busboys to the manager were attentive. Our server, Sandra, was great. They have a varied menu with sandwiches, fresh fish, pasta, Thai, Italian food - huge variety with fresh local ingredients. You can tell that they use quality ingredients. AND they have free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible treatment at arrivalAkatlarVIPDined on 8/24/2014I don't think I will ever go to that restaurant. They told us that there was no table available outside where all the tables were empty and they sit the hotel guests instead of people that just come to dine there. When I asked of the hostess's name, they gave us the best table that had been sitting there for the 30 mins of us waiting to be seated. If they are not going to treat everyone the same, I don't think they should take reservations from non-hotel guests. Food was not that great and there are so many better places to dine in Newport and Laguna than Coliseum. We have been to other restaurants that are in hotels, and it was so much better experience. Bad management I guess.
- Coliseum Grill Newport Beach A+dinendashDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful open air indoor/outdoor terrace. overlooks pool, golf course and pacific ocean. excellent menu (not massive, but something for everyone) quality cuisine and good service. not overly expensive. relaxed dining with a view partnered with elegant 5 star surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/19/2014We went to celebrate a birthday having previously had a great experience. Apparently a large group in another part of the restauarant had priority and we felt like lower class patrons. It took more than a half hour for our salad/soup course to arrive and even longer for the main course. The waiter often was no where to be found as wine glasses were empty for quite some time. While the waiter explained the delays were due to a large party, nothing was ever offered to make our experience better. Not even a complimentary iced tea as every soft drink was added to the bill. With such delays, you would think a manager would have stopped by, but we never saw anyone that night. Food was mediocre compared to the prior visit.
- A Must For Any Occasion!RealtorCamille7VIPDined on 8/16/2014You can sit outside, inside at a table or inside at a booth. We like either outside under the covered patio or inside in a booth. For our 23rd wedding anniversary we chose the booth. Scott was our server and he took great care of us on our special occasion. Everything is beautiful at this resort. The decor, views, table cloths, glasses and the food are outstanding! The wine list is great. We had Schramsberg champagne, the flat bread special, the swordfish and the Skate fish special. Everything was so delicious! They gave us a special anniversary dessert to share that was a mocha, chocolate mousse cake topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries and raspberries - delicious. We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We found this fantastic restaurant on-line and made a reservation to celebrate our Anniversary. We're visiting from Canada with our 2 children. Everything was spectacular, the view, the food, the service - everything. Chef Micah even visited our table to ensure we were satisfied and to wish us a happy anniversary. Thank you Coliseum - we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014Love this restaurant. Food and service are consistently outstanding, and the view spectacular!
- Absolutely wonderfulluvitVIPDined on 8/8/2014We loved it and will bring others back to share it thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunshineSunshineDined on 8/8/2014The food ingredients are top quality. Salad greens are clean, crisp, and tasty--said to be grown locally on the Irvine Ranch. Grilled salmon cooked perfectly! Servers are friendly and cater to your every need. Girlfriends enjoy as a favorite lunch spot; husband and I go for dinner often (we live locally). The outdoor patio is wonderful, and the view is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamilyDined on 8/6/2014We have been there for brunch and lunch. This was our first time for dinner. Everything was wonderful. The food was great. Service was wonderful and the outdoor dining was perfect. Definitely will go back next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coliseum Pool & GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014Had a lovely, relaxing, delicious lunch. Enjoyed the spectacular views, and dining outdoors. Perfect service.Special Features:
- Sunset ExcellanceTravelwithronDined on 8/2/2014The food, service and view were exceptional. Dined with best friends from out of town, they were amazed about how nice the view and the food was along with great service. We will be back to the Coliseum Pool & Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014If you like looking at the gorgeous view for over an hour after you order your food, this is the place. Who knows why it took so long to get the food, but it did finally did arrive and it was very farm-fresh. We brought two guests from out of area, and we were embarrassed by the slow service/kitchen delay.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014Moving to Newport Coast so decided to try out this highly recommended restaurant in the beautiful Pelican Hills resort. Casual lunch was perfect. Lots of activity by the pool overlooking the Pacific. The shrimp quesadilla was perfect and the potato leek soup was excellent. I highly recommend the Coliseum for a fun, casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for lunch or brunchdeegeeDined on 7/27/2014We really enjoyed this as a party of 6 for a birthday. It was very crowded and we had to wait for a table outside and the service was a bit slow but it wasn't a real issue. Food was good and the view is really great.Special Features: