Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill
22701 Pelican Hill Road South
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pelicanhill.com/Dining_Coliseum
- Phone: 9496121913x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Micah Severeid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill
The casual resort lifestyle on the Southern California coast comes to life at the Coliseum Pool & Grill, with gorgeous Pacific ocean vistas, whimsical table settings of bright aquamarine linens and blue-tinted glassware, and a wide selection of American favorites on Chef Micah Severeid’s superbly prepared menu. Dine overlooking the strikingly iconic Coliseum Pool with its radiant blue bottom created by hand-setting 1.1 million hand-cut glass mosaic tiles. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, the restaurant offers fresh seasonal fare with many ingredients sourced locally from the Irvine Ranch®, located just 8 miles from Pelican Hill. With a large selection of pizzas, panini, sandwiches, seafood dishes, pastas, specialty salads and even smoothies, there’s something on the menu for every taste and desire. A lounge with nine-foot TV screens is a favorite for sports viewing and families delight in the “Coliseum Kids’ Menu,” featuring an endless pizza, pasta and gelato option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Coliseum Pool & Grill - The Resort at Pelican Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (118)great for outdoor dining (113)special occasion (76)great for lunch (76)great for brunch (63)romantic (59)good for groups (51)fit for foodies (43)kid-friendly (40)neighborhood gem (33)notable wine list (22)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Coliseum RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food and ambiance is spectacular ! I highly recommend and food prices are very decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was delicious. ORGEOUS view! Service was very friendly but slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014it was busy with visitors being the weekend, but the food and the service are worth it. The scenic view breathtaking, took dozens of pictures. I got the same table i had in the past and I loved using OpenTable to make the reservations. Thanks!Special Features:
- Very disappointed in serviceDisappointedVIPDined on 9/13/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday and I noted that on my OpenTable reservation and the hostess confirmed that she saw it when I asked her after we had been seated. Thereafter, there was absolutely nothing mentioned by any of our servers or the staff about her birthday and there was absolutley nothing done or provided during the meal or dessert to acknowledge it. Additionally, it took them nearly 40 minutes to bring our food after we ordered it. They said a couple BIG orders beat ours in the kitchen - very poor excuse. There should be no excuse for it it take that long. I would and did expect more from a 5 star resort. Finally, be sure to bring your own wine (glad we did). The wine markups are outrageous. Worth paying the corkage fee.
- One of the best views in OCGmoneyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We go to the Coliseum because of the view of the ocean and one of the largest infinity pools in the nation. It also helps that you're in a 5-star resort so the grounds are gorgeous. Great for brunch, lunch or dinner and one of our go to places for group dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coliseum Pool & GrillvacationtimeDined on 9/3/2014I have dined at the Coliseum Pool and Grill several times. I've taken many guests and family here for a relaxing or special day. The quality of service and food is consistent offering a menu that is varied, healthy, fresh, and in addition to this, well prepared. My favorite is the Beet Salad with Salmon. Prices are quite reasonable for a place of this caliber. The location is outstanding, offering beautiful views of Newport Bay and the golf course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait and bad serviceluv2dineDined on 9/1/2014I have never experienced such a long wait and bad service at any 5 star resorts. Took 45 mins to get to the table although we reserved a table. Then it takes another 15 minutes for a someone to come to greet us. No water and no napkin until we ask. It is totally a mess and we never expect such service at this kind resort. Colesium staffs, please pay more attention to your customers.Special Features:
- The Buffet is $55.LillyBelleVIPDined on 9/1/2014This really is a venue for property guests. The service was very slow. We were given a cooked-to-order menu and offered the buffet. Wanting a little of everything, we chose the buffet. Our server, Traci, never mentioned that the buffet is $55 per person. Had we known the cost of the buffet, we would have ordered from the menu, where the plates were $25, and enjoyed our meal much more. Outside diners are subjected to property guests and their families going to the pool.Special Features:
- Never again on Labor DayNeighborsDined on 8/31/2014We had reservations for 7:15 on Labor Day. We were not seated until 8:30. It was noisy and chaotic. A buffet was offered for $60. a plate that included hot dogs and hamburgers. People were taking food from the buffet with their hands. I had a wilted and warm Tuscan salad. Don't know how long it was sitting out before it came to the table. The 4 of us were very disappointed with our experience.Special Features:
- Celebration DinnerYLLakerFanDined on 8/31/2014Always a fun place for dinner. We love to bring out of town guest here, especially for sunset. Our only problem this time, we had a 6:45 reservation and we did not get our table until 7:20 PM. The food was good, the Ahi on my Tuscan Salad was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Pelican Hill!!!SheriandBillVIPDined on 8/31/2014It's even more perfect each and every time we visit. This time we drove down from LA just to have lunch. It makes for such a lovely afternoon.Special Features:
- Birthday Ocean View Spoiledlove2eatDined on 8/30/2014We arrived early and had a cocktail in the main lobby bar overlooking the golf course and pool area. Service was great and drinks were good. Maybe a little pricy but after-all you are a Pelican Hill. The Coliseum Pool & Grill is on the ground level of the resort, not to worry if you're not able to make the walk you can catch a ride from the hotel shuttle. When we arrived for the our dinner reservations we were disappointed that we did not get the seating we had requested when we made our advance reservations. The waiter service was good, food good, view ok you just need to be flexible as you may not get what you requested. Over all I would recommend and will go back again.Special Features:
- Spectacular setting!WaikikidinerDined on 8/29/2014The Coliseum at Pelican Hill has a beautiful setting, over looking the resorts enormous round pool, with the golf course and ocean beyond. The food was good, service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing view, reasonable pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Coliseum Pool and Grill. The service was excellent and the food was really delicious. Beautifully presented and reasonably priced for the quality, service and view. Our waiter was wonderful and the manager came by to ask us how we were doing. All great! My only disappointment was paying $25-26 for a glass of Chardonnay ..... the amount of wine in the glass when served was less than normal... C'mon guys! Lets make sure that you are making it worth the $26 or else suggest ordering a bottle. Pour a glass that is generous when we are paying those big prices!Special Features:
- xxxxVIPDined on 8/24/2014Needed a place for brunch in OC and decided on Pelican Hill. We sat outside on the patio and we had a beautiful ocean view. The service was excellent. Everyone from the busboys to the manager were attentive. Our server, Sandra, was great. They have a varied menu with sandwiches, fresh fish, pasta, Thai, Italian food - huge variety with fresh local ingredients. You can tell that they use quality ingredients. AND they have free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coliseum Grill Newport Beach A+dinendashDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful open air indoor/outdoor terrace. overlooks pool, golf course and pacific ocean. excellent menu (not massive, but something for everyone) quality cuisine and good service. not overly expensive. relaxed dining with a view partnered with elegant 5 star surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/19/2014We went to celebrate a birthday having previously had a great experience. Apparently a large group in another part of the restauarant had priority and we felt like lower class patrons. It took more than a half hour for our salad/soup course to arrive and even longer for the main course. The waiter often was no where to be found as wine glasses were empty for quite some time. While the waiter explained the delays were due to a large party, nothing was ever offered to make our experience better. Not even a complimentary iced tea as every soft drink was added to the bill. With such delays, you would think a manager would have stopped by, but we never saw anyone that night. Food was mediocre compared to the prior visit.
- A Must For Any Occasion!RealtorCamille7VIPDined on 8/16/2014You can sit outside, inside at a table or inside at a booth. We like either outside under the covered patio or inside in a booth. For our 23rd wedding anniversary we chose the booth. Scott was our server and he took great care of us on our special occasion. Everything is beautiful at this resort. The decor, views, table cloths, glasses and the food are outstanding! The wine list is great. We had Schramsberg champagne, the flat bread special, the swordfish and the Skate fish special. Everything was so delicious! They gave us a special anniversary dessert to share that was a mocha, chocolate mousse cake topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries and raspberries - delicious. We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We found this fantastic restaurant on-line and made a reservation to celebrate our Anniversary. We're visiting from Canada with our 2 children. Everything was spectacular, the view, the food, the service - everything. Chef Micah even visited our table to ensure we were satisfied and to wish us a happy anniversary. Thank you Coliseum - we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014Love this restaurant. Food and service are consistently outstanding, and the view spectacular!
- Absolutely wonderfulluvitVIPDined on 8/8/2014We loved it and will bring others back to share it thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunshineSunshineDined on 8/8/2014The food ingredients are top quality. Salad greens are clean, crisp, and tasty--said to be grown locally on the Irvine Ranch. Grilled salmon cooked perfectly! Servers are friendly and cater to your every need. Girlfriends enjoy as a favorite lunch spot; husband and I go for dinner often (we live locally). The outdoor patio is wonderful, and the view is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamilyDined on 8/6/2014We have been there for brunch and lunch. This was our first time for dinner. Everything was wonderful. The food was great. Service was wonderful and the outdoor dining was perfect. Definitely will go back next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coliseum Pool & GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014Had a lovely, relaxing, delicious lunch. Enjoyed the spectacular views, and dining outdoors. Perfect service.Special Features:
- Sunset ExcellanceTravelwithronDined on 8/2/2014The food, service and view were exceptional. Dined with best friends from out of town, they were amazed about how nice the view and the food was along with great service. We will be back to the Coliseum Pool & Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014If you like looking at the gorgeous view for over an hour after you order your food, this is the place. Who knows why it took so long to get the food, but it did finally did arrive and it was very farm-fresh. We brought two guests from out of area, and we were embarrassed by the slow service/kitchen delay.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014Moving to Newport Coast so decided to try out this highly recommended restaurant in the beautiful Pelican Hills resort. Casual lunch was perfect. Lots of activity by the pool overlooking the Pacific. The shrimp quesadilla was perfect and the potato leek soup was excellent. I highly recommend the Coliseum for a fun, casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for lunch or brunchdeegeeDined on 7/27/2014We really enjoyed this as a party of 6 for a birthday. It was very crowded and we had to wait for a table outside and the service was a bit slow but it wasn't a real issue. Food was good and the view is really great.Special Features:
- A favorite in every wayFoodWineLoverVIPDined on 7/26/2014We are regulars at the Coliseum but find it special every time. The setting is spectacular with outside dining in a semi circle around one side of a 100 foot diameter round swimming pool all overlooking the manicured golf course and Pacific Ocean beyond. The name of the restaurant reflects the grand architecture of the restaurant and pool cabana building. The decor is classically elegant yet, in the setting, feels casual. The result is that we can feel comfortable in shorts, casual or business casual attire. The excellent, well presented food is consistent with this theme, from simple choices like hamburgers to imaginative steaks and seafood entrees all priced as casual dining. Service is consistent, attentive and excellent.Special Features:
- When it's bad, it's really badOccasionalIndulgerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Went for a quiet light dinner midweek. Normally a great spot. We ordered a starter of garlic fries and some gazpacho. After 30 minutes and being told twice that our order would be out "in just a minute," we asked for a manager and after another 5 minutes (no show on the manager) we got up and left. Don't go here if you're hungry.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceCherieDined on 7/21/2014There were 11 of us celebrating a birthday. Everyone loved it. The staff was great and the experience was truly amazing. I will definitely recommend this place and I will definitly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014We live locally in Newport beach ca and always arrange to meet all of our dining dates here at the coliseum to showcase the best of dining with a view along the coast !! Great food, great service, great ambiance!!Special Features:
- Great food, service & viewsLuvGrubDined on 7/19/2014Had lunch (party of 6) on Saturday, the views were superb, and the food and service was excellent. Great place to have lunch with friends.Special Features:
- ConnieDined on 7/16/2014Our lunch outside was absolutely fabulous. The ambiance and scenery and food were excellent. The mushroom soup was so delicious. Can hardly wait to go back.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 7/13/2014The food was ordinary and very salty. Took forever to get food. Server was lovely and location is great. Not very creative or innovative. Brunch buffet was $65, a ridiculous amount for an aveerage hotel brunch.Special Features:
- Mediocre experience at Pelican HillDisapppointedDined on 7/12/2014They ignore your wishes at reservation with some lame excuses. The waiters are nice and trying but food is mediocre - there are nicer places to go where they have a better control over roaming children. I am not recommending the place, particularly not for an intimate celebration or special occasion because you just will embarrass yourself.
- NcdinerDined on 7/9/2014Requested an outdoor table at 6:45. Upon arrival we were told to wait for a table outside (20 mins). Checked back at that time and was told first come, first served. After another 25 mins they took us to a table that had been empty from the start. Didn't get food until 8:15 which is too late with kids. Won't go back. Nice view though and food was ok.Special Features:
- Awesome place!astropopcandyVIPDined on 7/9/2014Everything about Pelican Hill is amazing and the Coliseum Pool and Grill is a continuation of that. Great view, great service and great food. I like having meetings there. The noise level is low, the scenery is great and it sure beats Starbucks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentwine2dineDined on 7/7/2014Everything was prefect . The food was great. The waiter was friendly . Best 1st anniversary ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014Great restaurant that seems very overwhelmed on busy summer weekends. I have dined at this restaurant many times and usually it is fantastic. However, when dining on a Saturday night during the busy summer season, it seemed very overwhelmed and perhaps understaffed. From the valet parking, to the hostess desk, to the servers, to the quality of food coming from the kitchen, it wasn't the usual amazing experience and amazing food.