Colibri - Mexican Bistro
438 Geary St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Colibri - Mexican Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.colibrimexicanbistro.com/
- Phone: 4154402737
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - 11:30am - 10:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 10:30am - 11:00pm; Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm (In addition to our regular menu we offer weekend brunch 10am to 2pm, Saturday - Sunday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rocio Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: is available for private parties seated up to 75 people and cocktail up 125 people. Additional large party backroom accommodated 40 contact restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Colibri Mexican Bistro is available for private parties seated up to 75 people and cocktails up 125 people. Additional large party backroom accommodated 40 people. Please contact restaurant for more information via email email@example.com
- Entertainment: Live music on Mondays from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM and Happy Hour Mon to Fri from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
A word from Colibri - Mexican Bistro
Restaurant Description: Colibri Mexican Bistro features a traditional and diverse Mexican cuisine. The complex flavors from the kitchen are complimented with creative drinks, selected Tequilas, beer and wine from the bar. The decor matches that found in Mexico City's cantinas in the early 1900's. Bienvenido a Colibri Mexican Bistro y buen provecho! We serve our authentic cuisine in a tapas style so that you can enjoy multiple dishes to share with others. See Our Reviews: * "During the course of two visits and many, many dishes, I couldn't find one that I wouldn't order again"* - Patricia Unterman, Special to The ExaminerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Colibri - Mexican Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (59)good for groups (46)vibrant bar scene (29)great for lunch (27)special occasion (24)hot spot (24)romantic (16)great for brunch (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Another Great MealCindyDined on 10/19/2014Love coming back to Colibri every year after the Nike Women's Race! The food and drinks are outstanding, it's a warm and colorful atmosphere, and the service is very good. ALWAYS order the guacamole and corn tortillas before your meal!Special Features:
- RazoávelOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Me fez ver que a comida mexicana tradicional continua melhor. O ar inovador dos pratos não me agradou.Special Features:
- Good Food Right Across ACTmadeinargentinaDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant offers a great variety of authentic Mexican dishes that are flavorful and hearty. Prices are very reasonable and though the service is a bit spotty, they do the best to ensure that you get to enjoy your meal without having to rush through it to make it to the theatre. It helps that it is right across from ACT. I would eat there every time I go to ACT.
- Really great guacamole !LrobDined on 10/4/2014Freshly made in from of you guacamole was amazing. We only found this place on our last nice or we would gave been back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet mexicanaliceDined on 10/1/2014The staff is super friendly and was very accommodating of a large group that we added to last minute. The food is fantastic, particularly the panuchos and pato en mole verde (duck in green mole). And the true glory are the freshly made tortillas which honestly are impossible to stop eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableSFdinerDined on 9/27/2014Fun atmosphere in SF's bustling theatre district. Service is top notch. Authentic Mexican cuisine (Oaxacan?), not TexMex, which I found refreshing. The dishes I had were very good. And of course the most extensive list of Tequila's I have ever seen, including the Del Maquey mescals.Special Features:
- As always, excellente!!JiggyflyDined on 9/27/2014This jernt is spot on with drinks, food, and service -- my favorite theater restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre DiningAnonymousDined on 9/25/2014The fish tacos, lamb shank, and margaritas were amazing. The guacamole was also great. We ordered it spicy and it was just the right amount of spice. They really know how to cook meat here. Braised meats fall off the bone just like they are supposed to. Good portion sizes. Located right across the street from the Geary Theatre at Geary and Mason. Perfect for pre-theatre dining. The cornbread side dish was the only miss for me. I am going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Love going to Colibri for dinner! They are always consistent with food, service, and drinks. They also have a wonderful brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the CarnitasFarashaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Colibri is one of my favorites when I'm in SF. Colibri is the right combination of ambience, food and service for a reasonable price. The tequila flights, and their presentation, are wonderful. I'm a wine fan, and their list offers quality wines for a fair price per glass. I will return, and bring my pals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Loved the fish of the day, Hawaiian Butterfish...perfectly prepared and flavorful! Thought it odd that you have to pay extra for chips with your guacamole...turns out the guac comes with homemade tortillas that were great and the chips we paid extra for were not so good...but considering every dish we ordered was really good, we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, great foodCathyDined on 9/11/2014Tried this restaurant on a business trip to San Francisco. The people were genuinely welcoming, service attentive but not hovering, food very good and prices quite reasonable for location.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealsSliverDined on 9/7/2014I was in town on business and liked it so much I ate there twice in three days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeeeeelish!!!LaylaVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food here is fabulous! Our sever Camilla was super friendly and everything we ate was perfect with the best flavor! I wish I didn't live in Chicago since I don't know the next time I can go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ' older lady'from englandlydiaDined on 9/4/2014My daughter booked your restaurant and we ate the most delicious meal I had eaten in SFO. I loved the atmosphere, the service was excellent, the mexican food was delicious. personally i really enjoyed seeing the chefs preparing food. memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic!GuygDined on 9/2/2014If you want authentic Mexican cuisine.....Colibri.....this is it!! The guacamole was fresh and bright, the chicken mole is a dish not to pass up.Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchEGP23Dined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend and I went for brunch and it was fantastic. The $10 bottomless mimosas were great and our glasses were never empty. We loved everything about it. Definitely try the ceviche when you go. It was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food + value @ Union SquareSFOSteveVIPDined on 8/30/2014Friendly service, solid menu choices and good value make this a reliable Union Square go-to for after-shopping or pre-theater. Try the house-made guacamole: chunky, fresh and nice spice blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just some of the best Mexican..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014... food in San Francisco... some of the best Mexican food anywhere.Special Features:
- Too much noiseInekeDined on 8/29/2014The food and the service were great. But there was so much noise that we couldn't stay longer than half an hour. I think it's a fine restaurant for younger people.Special Features:
- AlmostDar915Dined on 8/29/2014Nice ambiance , great bistro feel. Home made tortillas with a trio of sauces instead of standard chips and salsa, nice touch. Main course, filet and steamed lamb shank, prepared perfectly, good presentation. And then my biggest pet peeve; slow desert service with Mexican coffee's served after desert was finished. Come on. I certainly recommend and will be back but the experience went from outstanding to moderate.Special Features:
- Upscale MexicanCitygalDined on 8/28/2014Colibri offers creative takes on Mexican food; a great place for mole, but don't come expecting tacos/burritos or a bargain. We began with two of the 10 or so Margaritas on offer. Both were very good. The tortillas were excellent, and the guacamole was tasty and a generous portion. Both of our shared entrees were excellent; the lamb shanks and the duck. The lamb fell off the bone, the duck was exactly the right degree of rare, and the corn cake accompanying the duck was delicious. We didn't sample the wine list or dessert. Service was very good and friendly without being intrusive. We were seated promptly and dined leisurely, finishing in time to make it to the theater. The perfect place to dine before A.C.T or a show at the Curran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, poor service.sincitydreamingDined on 8/27/2014Mexican food was my favorite, so I was quick to check this place out. We had reservations and were seated immediately. It is a small restaraunt with a very loud/upbeat atmsophere. Our table was very small, almost difficult to find enough room for food and drinks. The food itself was excellent, some of the best Mexican I have had. The margaritas were just OK. Customer service was very lacking. Our drinks were not refilled as often as they should have been and we were checked on very infrequently. Overall, not a good value for the money paid but i would probably return just for the sake of the food.
- New menu itemsDBA1VIPDined on 8/27/2014I've been to Colibri many times before. It's a great place to eat before the theater - A.C.T and The Curran. I've never been disappointed by a meal there. On this visit there were items on the menu that are new to me. The panuchos with marinated pork are a great way to start the meal. I chose the lamb shank for my entree. It was great. Their churros are the best you'll ever have but I resisted them this time for a new dessert, a fruit tart served with a white chocolate cone that was filled with vanilla ice cream. Definitely stay for dessert and try either of those dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/26/2014very good place to dine before theater. Attentive staff. Good food
- Great food and amazing cocktailsParastooVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is really scrumptious here and so are the cocktails. I had the prawns with tamarind sauce and it was sooooo good.Special Features:
- Excellent, as alwaysThunderDined on 8/22/2014Colibri has superb cuisine, with properly sized portions. For the two of us, we generally feel satisfied with sharing one entree and two appetizers. Also, the bartenders are experts with their many tequila options for great margaritas. We generally prefer to sit at the bar and can usually find a couple seats there with little wait.Special Features:
- Good eats!JacksonianDined on 8/22/2014Reliably good. This was my second time here. The four of us had a very nice lunch.Special Features:
- Not a great night outCupcakecrazyVIPDined on 8/21/2014It took ten minutes before anyone came to our table to offer us water or say hello. My side dish came after my meal was over (even after inquiring about it). We had to keep asking for water refills. It was just slow overall. The menu doesn't have a lot of food options. The two positive things were the Sangria (which is delicious) and the Churro Relleno (which is super tasty). Disappointing though. And this was our third time here.
- Reliable pre-theater choiceAlanVIPDined on 8/20/2014Colibri is just across the street from the Curran and Geary theaters, so it is the place we consistently go for a pre-theater dinner. What keeps us coming back is the excellent Mexican cuisine, which includes regional specialties that range far from the typical "Tex Mex" style. The guacamole and salsas are superb,and the drinks are great. I've sampled most of the menu and have rarely been disappointed. Favorites include the posole soup, chicken mole and chili relleno.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Fun dinner, wonderful Mole sauce and the best Guacamole!Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!bev2Dined on 8/19/2014The food was amazing and very different from a typical Mexican restaurant. Perfect portion sizes, fresh and delicious! Service was outstanding! We made it to our play in plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low prices for a large groupMarieVIPDined on 8/18/2014They did their best, but the place was really jammed and unbelievably noisy. It exists for the Geary St / Union Square area hotel guests and handful of nearby office people. No reason to seek it out.Special Features:
- Good food great tequila listcarloDined on 8/17/2014We shared some appetizers and had one main plate. All very good. Staff very friendly, he explained to my wife the recipe for their exceptional guacamole. Very impressive tequila list. I tried the avion margarita, very good although slightly sweet for my taste. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Drinks & AmbienceGoodFoodFanDined on 8/15/2014This is a great, refined interpretation of Southwestern/Latin American cuisine. I had the Chicken with Mole sauce, and my wife had the fish tacos. Both very good. Also the guacamole is fresh, made individually for you to your particular spiciness. It is excellent. Also, the margaritas are some of the best that we have ever had. They also have an extensive list of premium tequila. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome. A fave near Union SquarejlelandVIPDined on 8/13/2014Top notch mexican cuisine. Some of the best guacamole and margaritas, plus huge tequila selection and overall great food. When I'm in that neighborhood (including going to ACT or the Theater that are literally across the street), Colibri is now my first choice.Special Features:
- Continues to be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014We brought new SF residents here for brunch on Sunday. Bottomless mimosas and great food, with attentive service. Another great experience at Colibri.Special Features:
- Mexican can still surprisehungrycatDined on 8/9/2014Having tried many Mexican restaurants in the Bay Area, I was pleasantly surprised by what Colibri had to offer. Service was attentive and I appreciated the fact that they honored our reservation even though we were running quite late. Margaritas were rather typical and my friend's Sangria was overly sweet. We only split a couple of appetizers - both were ample and delicious! One could almost make a meal alone on the homemade corn tortillas that are delivered with 3 unique salsas. The guacamole was made at the table to our specifications - very fresh with just the right amount of lime and peppers. The Empanadas were filled with savory pork with a good balance of spices. We sat near the bar which was loud and lively.Special Features:
- Guacamole And Filet Mignon!SolarjudyDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant was a bit crowded in its seating configuration but the food was exquisite. We started with the guacamole served with fresh corn tortillas and it ranked among some of the best guacamole I have eaten. My Fillet Mignon was tender and deliciously seasoned. The margaritas were great as well. Service was quick and the waitstaff was nice and helpful. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great FoodDiningAwayDined on 8/6/2014Hands down, consistently great food at Colibri! We took our friend for a birthday dinner here, and our waiter delivered a well-crafted birthday dessert after we ordered something sweet. It was a nice touch with a chocolate banner of "Happy Birthday" surrounding the edge of the plate. Let's not forget about the tortillas either. Amazingly fresh and very good with their guacamole! We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.