Colibri - Mexican Bistro
438 Geary St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Colibri - Mexican Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.colibrimexicanbistro.com/
- Phone: (415) 440-2737
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - 11:30am - 10:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 10:30am - 11:00pm; Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm (In addition to our regular menu we offer weekend brunch 10am to 2pm, Saturday - Sunday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rocio Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: is available for private parties seated up to 75 people and cocktail up 125 people. Additional large party backroom accommodated 40 contact restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Colibri Mexican Bistro is available for private parties seated up to 75 people and cocktails up 125 people. Additional large party backroom accommodated 40 people. Please contact restaurant for more information via email email@example.com
- Entertainment: Live music on Mondays from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM and Happy Hour Mon to Fri from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
A word from Colibri - Mexican Bistro
Restaurant Description: Colibri Mexican Bistro features a traditional and diverse Mexican cuisine. The complex flavors from the kitchen are complimented with creative drinks, selected Tequilas, beer and wine from the bar. The decor matches that found in Mexico City's cantinas in the early 1900's. Bienvenido a Colibri Mexican Bistro y buen provecho! We serve our authentic cuisine in a tapas style so that you can enjoy multiple dishes to share with others. See Our Reviews: * "During the course of two visits and many, many dishes, I couldn't find one that I wouldn't order again"* - Patricia Unterman, Special to The ExaminerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Colibri - Mexican Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (30)great for lunch (27)hot spot (23)great for brunch (17)special occasion (17)romantic (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Reliable MexicanWAK2013VIPDined on 11/17/2014The only place I can get a Nopales salad!. The Veracruz version of Paella was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food near Curran Theaterserve2allVIPDined on 11/16/2014If you are going to a show at the Curran, this is a very convenient place accross the street. Nice atmosphere, good dishes and OK service. Carnitas were good and chile relleno also. Guacamole was the star of this meal. Waiter bungoled our order so the food came much later than it should have...but he apologized many times and comped us a dessert. I would go back...just make sure your order is not lost in the shuffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/16/2014Colibri is our go to spot when attending ACT. Food is consistently good and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feeding5VIPDined on 11/16/2014Hard to find a decent restaurant near the Curran. This was good, but not great. We went for the brunch. I would skip their mexican Benedict. I would go back, because the food was good enough for our pre theater dining, and very convenient being across the street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDanishDined on 11/9/2014Simple, excellent. Not much to say, except it lived up to the hype on Yelp. The french toast was delightfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better beforeJenny74bDined on 11/8/2014Been here 8 years ago. So much better then. For instance, they don't make the guacamole by the table anymore, which was a really good thing before. Guacamole still the best but the rest of the food quite tasteless and boring. Good drinks though.
- Birthday brunch/lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014We had such a wonderful time and the staff was lovely. AND the food is delicious!!! I have been here before and enjoy the service and food.Special Features:
- Hello USAMarshiesDined on 10/31/2014First meal out in States and yes the reputation of big plates is real. Good news was the flavours. I had chicken mole and the balance of spice and richness of chocolate was great. Jet lag begone!!Special Features:
- Great food and servicePaul61Dined on 10/30/2014We have been dining here for over 7 years now. On our most recent visit the food was as delicious as it has ever been. Colibri still maintains it's high standards, delivers great food and a memorable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- little bit more...magnoliaDined on 10/28/2014They could little more polite when someone asks them when the food was coimg. Nothing wrong with checking right? Besides this I have no complaints at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, Fun Brunch OptionDiamondDaveDined on 10/26/2014Colibri is open for other meals, but we were looking for a nice and somewhat different brunch spot with an interesting menu, and Colibri fit the bill. The Ceviche Veracruzano was fresh and very good and the three salsas served with the chips were all good and varied. However, some of us found the Queso Fundido con Chorizo too greasy. There were many entree choices; some of our favorites were the Chilaquiles verdes o rojos, Mole poblano, and Huevos benedictinos estilo Michoacan. The mimosas also were good and refills came quickly. The music was a little loud and too "thumpy" for brunch, so it was distracting.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableDiscerningDinerDined on 10/24/2014We had an excellent dinner. The food was not the typical Mexican fare. It was innovative, fresh, flavorful and well-prepared. Service was excellent. It was a nice find in San Francisco. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Upscale MexicanPlanetRVIPDined on 10/24/2014Went for lunch and had a nice quiet roomy table in the back. Food was very good. Portions are not huge, but everything was tasty.
- Delicious contemporary MexicanGoldieDined on 10/23/2014There's nothing cliche about Colibri. The portions aren't huge, but the food is carefully considered and delicious. The filet mignon is a standout, as is the stuffed chicken breast. The tough part is choosing what to order. I still have to make it back there for the sopes and mole chicken, both of which looked amazing.Special Features:
- Another Great MealCindyDined on 10/19/2014Love coming back to Colibri every year after the Nike Women's Race! The food and drinks are outstanding, it's a warm and colorful atmosphere, and the service is very good. ALWAYS order the guacamole and corn tortillas before your meal!Special Features:
- RazoávelDrrtaDined on 10/18/2014Me fez ver que a comida mexicana tradicional continua melhor. O ar inovador dos pratos não me agradou.Special Features:
- Good Food Right Across ACTmadeinargentinaDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant offers a great variety of authentic Mexican dishes that are flavorful and hearty. Prices are very reasonable and though the service is a bit spotty, they do the best to ensure that you get to enjoy your meal without having to rush through it to make it to the theatre. It helps that it is right across from ACT. I would eat there every time I go to ACT.
- Really great guacamole !LrobDined on 10/4/2014Freshly made in from of you guacamole was amazing. We only found this place on our last nice or we would gave been back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet mexicanaliceDined on 10/1/2014The staff is super friendly and was very accommodating of a large group that we added to last minute. The food is fantastic, particularly the panuchos and pato en mole verde (duck in green mole). And the true glory are the freshly made tortillas which honestly are impossible to stop eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableSFdinerDined on 9/27/2014Fun atmosphere in SF's bustling theatre district. Service is top notch. Authentic Mexican cuisine (Oaxacan?), not TexMex, which I found refreshing. The dishes I had were very good. And of course the most extensive list of Tequila's I have ever seen, including the Del Maquey mescals.Special Features:
- As always, excellente!!JiggyflyDined on 9/27/2014This jernt is spot on with drinks, food, and service -- my favorite theater restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre DiningAnonymousDined on 9/25/2014The fish tacos, lamb shank, and margaritas were amazing. The guacamole was also great. We ordered it spicy and it was just the right amount of spice. They really know how to cook meat here. Braised meats fall off the bone just like they are supposed to. Good portion sizes. Located right across the street from the Geary Theatre at Geary and Mason. Perfect for pre-theatre dining. The cornbread side dish was the only miss for me. I am going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Love going to Colibri for dinner! They are always consistent with food, service, and drinks. They also have a wonderful brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the CarnitasFarashaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Colibri is one of my favorites when I'm in SF. Colibri is the right combination of ambience, food and service for a reasonable price. The tequila flights, and their presentation, are wonderful. I'm a wine fan, and their list offers quality wines for a fair price per glass. I will return, and bring my pals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Loved the fish of the day, Hawaiian Butterfish...perfectly prepared and flavorful! Thought it odd that you have to pay extra for chips with your guacamole...turns out the guac comes with homemade tortillas that were great and the chips we paid extra for were not so good...but considering every dish we ordered was really good, we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, great foodCathyDined on 9/11/2014Tried this restaurant on a business trip to San Francisco. The people were genuinely welcoming, service attentive but not hovering, food very good and prices quite reasonable for location.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealsSliverDined on 9/7/2014I was in town on business and liked it so much I ate there twice in three days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeeeeelish!!!LaylaVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food here is fabulous! Our sever Camilla was super friendly and everything we ate was perfect with the best flavor! I wish I didn't live in Chicago since I don't know the next time I can go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ' older lady'from englandlydiaDined on 9/4/2014My daughter booked your restaurant and we ate the most delicious meal I had eaten in SFO. I loved the atmosphere, the service was excellent, the mexican food was delicious. personally i really enjoyed seeing the chefs preparing food. memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic!GuygDined on 9/2/2014If you want authentic Mexican cuisine.....Colibri.....this is it!! The guacamole was fresh and bright, the chicken mole is a dish not to pass up.Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchEGP23Dined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend and I went for brunch and it was fantastic. The $10 bottomless mimosas were great and our glasses were never empty. We loved everything about it. Definitely try the ceviche when you go. It was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food + value @ Union SquareSFOSteveVIPDined on 8/30/2014Friendly service, solid menu choices and good value make this a reliable Union Square go-to for after-shopping or pre-theater. Try the house-made guacamole: chunky, fresh and nice spice blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just some of the best Mexican..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014... food in San Francisco... some of the best Mexican food anywhere.Special Features:
- Too much noiseInekeDined on 8/29/2014The food and the service were great. But there was so much noise that we couldn't stay longer than half an hour. I think it's a fine restaurant for younger people.Special Features:
- AlmostDar915Dined on 8/29/2014Nice ambiance , great bistro feel. Home made tortillas with a trio of sauces instead of standard chips and salsa, nice touch. Main course, filet and steamed lamb shank, prepared perfectly, good presentation. And then my biggest pet peeve; slow desert service with Mexican coffee's served after desert was finished. Come on. I certainly recommend and will be back but the experience went from outstanding to moderate.Special Features:
- Upscale MexicanCitygalDined on 8/28/2014Colibri offers creative takes on Mexican food; a great place for mole, but don't come expecting tacos/burritos or a bargain. We began with two of the 10 or so Margaritas on offer. Both were very good. The tortillas were excellent, and the guacamole was tasty and a generous portion. Both of our shared entrees were excellent; the lamb shanks and the duck. The lamb fell off the bone, the duck was exactly the right degree of rare, and the corn cake accompanying the duck was delicious. We didn't sample the wine list or dessert. Service was very good and friendly without being intrusive. We were seated promptly and dined leisurely, finishing in time to make it to the theater. The perfect place to dine before A.C.T or a show at the Curran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, poor service.sincitydreamingDined on 8/27/2014Mexican food was my favorite, so I was quick to check this place out. We had reservations and were seated immediately. It is a small restaraunt with a very loud/upbeat atmsophere. Our table was very small, almost difficult to find enough room for food and drinks. The food itself was excellent, some of the best Mexican I have had. The margaritas were just OK. Customer service was very lacking. Our drinks were not refilled as often as they should have been and we were checked on very infrequently. Overall, not a good value for the money paid but i would probably return just for the sake of the food.
- New menu itemsDBA1VIPDined on 8/27/2014I've been to Colibri many times before. It's a great place to eat before the theater - A.C.T and The Curran. I've never been disappointed by a meal there. On this visit there were items on the menu that are new to me. The panuchos with marinated pork are a great way to start the meal. I chose the lamb shank for my entree. It was great. Their churros are the best you'll ever have but I resisted them this time for a new dessert, a fruit tart served with a white chocolate cone that was filled with vanilla ice cream. Definitely stay for dessert and try either of those dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/26/2014very good place to dine before theater. Attentive staff. Good food
- Great food and amazing cocktailsParastooVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is really scrumptious here and so are the cocktails. I had the prawns with tamarind sauce and it was sooooo good.Special Features: