Colibri - Mexican Bistro
438 Geary St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Colibri - Mexican Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.colibrimexicanbistro.com/
- Phone: 4154402737
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - 11:30am - 10:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Saturday: 10:30am - 11:00pm; Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm (In addition to our regular menu we offer weekend brunch 10am to 2pm, Saturday - Sunday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rocio Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: is available for private parties seated up to 75 people and cocktail up 125 people. Additional large party backroom accommodated 40 contact restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Colibri Mexican Bistro is available for private parties seated up to 75 people and cocktails up 125 people. Additional large party backroom accommodated 40 people. Please contact restaurant for more information via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: Live music on Mondays from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM and Happy Hour Mon to Fri from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
A word from Colibri - Mexican Bistro
Restaurant Description: Colibri Mexican Bistro features a traditional and diverse Mexican cuisine. The complex flavors from the kitchen are complimented with creative drinks, selected Tequilas, beer and wine from the bar. The decor matches that found in Mexico City's cantinas in the early 1900's. Bienvenido a Colibri Mexican Bistro y buen provecho! We serve our authentic cuisine in a tapas style so that you can enjoy multiple dishes to share with others. See Our Reviews: * "During the course of two visits and many, many dishes, I couldn't find one that I wouldn't order again"* - Patricia Unterman, Special to The ExaminerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Colibri - Mexican Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (53)good for groups (42)special occasion (28)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (26)hot spot (23)great for brunch (18)late-night find (14)romantic (13)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Love the CarnitasFarashaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Colibri is one of my favorites when I'm in SF. Colibri is the right combination of ambience, food and service for a reasonable price. The tequila flights, and their presentation, are wonderful. I'm a wine fan, and their list offers quality wines for a fair price per glass. I will return, and bring my pals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Loved the fish of the day, Hawaiian Butterfish...perfectly prepared and flavorful! Thought it odd that you have to pay extra for chips with your guacamole...turns out the guac comes with homemade tortillas that were great and the chips we paid extra for were not so good...but considering every dish we ordered was really good, we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, great foodCathyDined on 9/11/2014Tried this restaurant on a business trip to San Francisco. The people were genuinely welcoming, service attentive but not hovering, food very good and prices quite reasonable for location.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealsSliverDined on 9/7/2014I was in town on business and liked it so much I ate there twice in three days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deeeeeelish!!!LaylaDined on 9/5/2014The food here is fabulous! Our sever Camilla was super friendly and everything we ate was perfect with the best flavor! I wish I didn't live in Chicago since I don't know the next time I can go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ' older lady'from englandlydiaDined on 9/4/2014My daughter booked your restaurant and we ate the most delicious meal I had eaten in SFO. I loved the atmosphere, the service was excellent, the mexican food was delicious. personally i really enjoyed seeing the chefs preparing food. memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic!GuygDined on 9/2/2014If you want authentic Mexican cuisine.....Colibri.....this is it!! The guacamole was fresh and bright, the chicken mole is a dish not to pass up.Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchEGP23Dined on 8/31/2014My boyfriend and I went for brunch and it was fantastic. The $10 bottomless mimosas were great and our glasses were never empty. We loved everything about it. Definitely try the ceviche when you go. It was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food + value @ Union SquareSFOSteveVIPDined on 8/30/2014Friendly service, solid menu choices and good value make this a reliable Union Square go-to for after-shopping or pre-theater. Try the house-made guacamole: chunky, fresh and nice spice blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just some of the best Mexican..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014... food in San Francisco... some of the best Mexican food anywhere.Special Features:
- Too much noiseInekeDined on 8/29/2014The food and the service were great. But there was so much noise that we couldn't stay longer than half an hour. I think it's a fine restaurant for younger people.Special Features:
- AlmostDar915Dined on 8/29/2014Nice ambiance , great bistro feel. Home made tortillas with a trio of sauces instead of standard chips and salsa, nice touch. Main course, filet and steamed lamb shank, prepared perfectly, good presentation. And then my biggest pet peeve; slow desert service with Mexican coffee's served after desert was finished. Come on. I certainly recommend and will be back but the experience went from outstanding to moderate.Special Features:
- Upscale MexicanCitygalDined on 8/28/2014Colibri offers creative takes on Mexican food; a great place for mole, but don't come expecting tacos/burritos or a bargain. We began with two of the 10 or so Margaritas on offer. Both were very good. The tortillas were excellent, and the guacamole was tasty and a generous portion. Both of our shared entrees were excellent; the lamb shanks and the duck. The lamb fell off the bone, the duck was exactly the right degree of rare, and the corn cake accompanying the duck was delicious. We didn't sample the wine list or dessert. Service was very good and friendly without being intrusive. We were seated promptly and dined leisurely, finishing in time to make it to the theater. The perfect place to dine before A.C.T or a show at the Curran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, poor service.sincitydreamingDined on 8/27/2014Mexican food was my favorite, so I was quick to check this place out. We had reservations and were seated immediately. It is a small restaraunt with a very loud/upbeat atmsophere. Our table was very small, almost difficult to find enough room for food and drinks. The food itself was excellent, some of the best Mexican I have had. The margaritas were just OK. Customer service was very lacking. Our drinks were not refilled as often as they should have been and we were checked on very infrequently. Overall, not a good value for the money paid but i would probably return just for the sake of the food.
- New menu itemsDBA1VIPDined on 8/27/2014I've been to Colibri many times before. It's a great place to eat before the theater - A.C.T and The Curran. I've never been disappointed by a meal there. On this visit there were items on the menu that are new to me. The panuchos with marinated pork are a great way to start the meal. I chose the lamb shank for my entree. It was great. Their churros are the best you'll ever have but I resisted them this time for a new dessert, a fruit tart served with a white chocolate cone that was filled with vanilla ice cream. Definitely stay for dessert and try either of those dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/26/2014very good place to dine before theater. Attentive staff. Good food
- Great food and amazing cocktailsParastooVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is really scrumptious here and so are the cocktails. I had the prawns with tamarind sauce and it was sooooo good.Special Features:
- Excellent, as alwaysThunderDined on 8/22/2014Colibri has superb cuisine, with properly sized portions. For the two of us, we generally feel satisfied with sharing one entree and two appetizers. Also, the bartenders are experts with their many tequila options for great margaritas. We generally prefer to sit at the bar and can usually find a couple seats there with little wait.Special Features:
- Good eats!JacksonianDined on 8/22/2014Reliably good. This was my second time here. The four of us had a very nice lunch.Special Features:
- Not a great night outCupcakecrazyVIPDined on 8/21/2014It took ten minutes before anyone came to our table to offer us water or say hello. My side dish came after my meal was over (even after inquiring about it). We had to keep asking for water refills. It was just slow overall. The menu doesn't have a lot of food options. The two positive things were the Sangria (which is delicious) and the Churro Relleno (which is super tasty). Disappointing though. And this was our third time here.
- Reliable pre-theater choiceAlanVIPDined on 8/20/2014Colibri is just across the street from the Curran and Geary theaters, so it is the place we consistently go for a pre-theater dinner. What keeps us coming back is the excellent Mexican cuisine, which includes regional specialties that range far from the typical "Tex Mex" style. The guacamole and salsas are superb,and the drinks are great. I've sampled most of the menu and have rarely been disappointed. Favorites include the posole soup, chicken mole and chili relleno.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Fun dinner, wonderful Mole sauce and the best Guacamole!Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!bev2Dined on 8/19/2014The food was amazing and very different from a typical Mexican restaurant. Perfect portion sizes, fresh and delicious! Service was outstanding! We made it to our play in plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food great tequila listcarloDined on 8/17/2014We shared some appetizers and had one main plate. All very good. Staff very friendly, he explained to my wife the recipe for their exceptional guacamole. Very impressive tequila list. I tried the avion margarita, very good although slightly sweet for my taste. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Drinks & AmbienceGoodFoodFanDined on 8/15/2014This is a great, refined interpretation of Southwestern/Latin American cuisine. I had the Chicken with Mole sauce, and my wife had the fish tacos. Both very good. Also the guacamole is fresh, made individually for you to your particular spiciness. It is excellent. Also, the margaritas are some of the best that we have ever had. They also have an extensive list of premium tequila. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome. A fave near Union SquarejlelandVIPDined on 8/13/2014Top notch mexican cuisine. Some of the best guacamole and margaritas, plus huge tequila selection and overall great food. When I'm in that neighborhood (including going to ACT or the Theater that are literally across the street), Colibri is now my first choice.Special Features:
- Continues to be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014We brought new SF residents here for brunch on Sunday. Bottomless mimosas and great food, with attentive service. Another great experience at Colibri.Special Features:
- Mexican can still surprisehungrycatDined on 8/9/2014Having tried many Mexican restaurants in the Bay Area, I was pleasantly surprised by what Colibri had to offer. Service was attentive and I appreciated the fact that they honored our reservation even though we were running quite late. Margaritas were rather typical and my friend's Sangria was overly sweet. We only split a couple of appetizers - both were ample and delicious! One could almost make a meal alone on the homemade corn tortillas that are delivered with 3 unique salsas. The guacamole was made at the table to our specifications - very fresh with just the right amount of lime and peppers. The Empanadas were filled with savory pork with a good balance of spices. We sat near the bar which was loud and lively.Special Features:
- Guacamole And Filet Mignon!SolarjudyDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant was a bit crowded in its seating configuration but the food was exquisite. We started with the guacamole served with fresh corn tortillas and it ranked among some of the best guacamole I have eaten. My Fillet Mignon was tender and deliciously seasoned. The margaritas were great as well. Service was quick and the waitstaff was nice and helpful. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great FoodDiningAwayDined on 8/6/2014Hands down, consistently great food at Colibri! We took our friend for a birthday dinner here, and our waiter delivered a well-crafted birthday dessert after we ordered something sweet. It was a nice touch with a chocolate banner of "Happy Birthday" surrounding the edge of the plate. Let's not forget about the tortillas either. Amazingly fresh and very good with their guacamole! We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Mexican in the tenderloinRButlerDined on 7/31/2014Able to accommodate same day reservation for 6 on Thursday evening. Aside from a disconnect between staff regarding going to our table while bring setup - great service, food sand atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyjlologinDined on 7/29/2014We just had civiche and guac. Very light and delicious. Great homemade corn tortillas. Would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at ColibriyummyDined on 7/25/2014Fav Mex Restaurant in downtown SF!!!!! It is the one restaurant that we make sure we eat at when visiting San Francisco for the past ten years.Special Features:
- Great find!FoodieforsureVIPDined on 7/24/2014Found this by accident on open Table - WOW! Excellent food. Their ceviche was so fresh and delicious. Their cheese, chorizo and mushroom appetizer was to die for - served with fresh, handmade corn tortillas. A hidden gem for sure. We will DEFINITELY be back!Special Features:
- after work groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014I took our team of 8 to Colibri for an after work dinner and drinks meetup. At 5:30, the place was very quiet with lots of open tables, but got noisier later as the place filled up. Conversation with folks at the other end of our long table got difficult - but that meant we conversed in smaller groups. Food was good and arrived pretty quickly. The Mezcal/Tequila cocktails are interesting. We shared all the appetizers on the menu, and everyone enjoyed the food. Fresh tortillas were especially tasty. One item on our order didn't arrive, but I don't know if that was a waiter or kitchen error - not a lot to worry about. Ambience is ok - everyone seemed to enjoy our visit there. I would return.Special Features:
- Top Notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Absolutely fantastic food. Very authentic and genuine. Extensive tequila selection for those with discerning taste. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adult MexicanBobGDined on 7/17/2014You won't find tacos or burritos here, instead you will savor a variety of meat and fish dishes that are tasty. I had the carnitas, large chunks of tender pork with seasonings and vegetables. While the food was good, the narrow confines left you feeling pAcked like sardines without much interaction with the staff. The noise level, with chatter and I discernible jazz left you feeling challenged for a conversation. Bottom line: very good food and drinks, noisy and crowded.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service Not so MuchJeremyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Good thing we had lunch reservations, it was very busy. The food was awesome across the board, once it came to the table. It was clear they cannot handle a crowd, as our service was poor. Food was not delivered together for the lunch, some got food, others go excuses. Servers were not around and available to help, and when asking about food not delivered the response was that the kitchen was too busy and good food takes a long time to make! I would go back for the great food, but make sure no one is there first!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no longer goodCosmoDined on 7/14/2014I have been here many times over the years and this place used to be quite good before. Yesterday, I had a lunch meeting here and they were late in getting the restaurant set up, it looked closed from outside and the place was not yet clean. Food (enchiladas) was cold with the cheese not even melted in it. I asked for a small scoop of guac (as I have always done) on the side with my enchiladas, the waitress said they don't have that and guac is a separate order. How is a Mexican restaurant not willing to give you a spoon of guac with enchiladas??? Also, they never came back to offer more iced tea or lemonade. I understand not refreshing cocktails but a little more lemonade/tea would have been nice during lunch. Disappointed!
- Food DiversityRetiredDined on 7/12/2014Excellent diversity of Mexican food. Not the same Mexican fare. Mouth-watering and adventurous!Special Features: